• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand theft auto 6 details.

Dunki

Nah, I agree with him. A GTA6 with only a female playable protagonist (or a really obnoxuous feminist character as part of a team) would be the most effective way to kill the GTA brand. That's not misogynistic, it's just what the franchise has cultivated in terms of expectations over the past 20 years.

Personally, I think GTA is the ultimate male power fantasy, which is okay.
I agree with the feminist one and I will be honest that I will look more closely on the character. When they go the progressive check list I will prob hate it . If the go the normal gta route with her I would have no problems

TimFL

You guys have to start realizing that this is run by the Housers, they will never give you a female lead in a fully featured GTA installment. The last time they were asked about female leads they shrugged it off saying they already have 42 years worth of GTA content laid out / brainstormed up but haven't come up for a proper idea for female leads yet.

I'm fine with GTA staying male leads only, I am all for diversity and inclusiveness but diversity for the sake of diversity and just to change things up is what grinds my gears.

I also can't believe how people still suggest stuff like London or other non-US cities even though the Housers said GTA is the american parody³. Let it go already, you wont ever get GTA London again.

Last edited:

NickFire

What? no.

The only requirement is to make the character great, male or female. They would disappoint only if the character sucks.
I think it's naive to believe that in this context. Of the countless millions of people who love to run around carjacking, picking up hookers, and beating / murdering people in a GTA game, there are undoubtedly millions of them who would take a hard pass if the series shifted to a single and female protagonist. Will be interesting to see it unfold if they go that route, but I think it's about as likely EA will announce no game will ever have loot boxes (or similar items like Madden cards), and all dlc will be free for all games. This gaming franchise just is not comparable to the Star Wars movie franchise.

sunnz

I didn't enjoy the 3 way protag from gta v.

It was hard to focus and get a feel for them as you kept switching. Felt pointless trying to save money and role play with them. Much prefer a single character.
gta iv did it right. have us go through 1 character at once instead if keep switching. Actually really disliked it in v and the campaign was one of the worst even though I loved the idea of heists and such.

gta online was great for the first year when it was mainly modern cars and weapons, people raced each other for and before the influx of stupid weapons, army crap and no real way to role play ( hope 6 takes idea from gtarp in terms of role playing online instead of it being a massive deathmatch.

I don't believe any of that, but as much as I'd love a future GTA or a return to Vice City, I wouldn't want both. The best part of Vice City was the 80s theme / music.

LordPezix

Hmmm... like when my character gets a blow from prosti, I'm always like "ahhh yeaaa dawg get it"...

*pause*

I can't see how if I am playing a female I'm going to be all " Yeaaa lemme suck dat di**".

It's uh, going to be a bit different for sure.

We need at least 2 playable character, maybe a Immigration officer that falls in love with the woman and get into a drug dealer scheme.

Don't believe it because Rockstar ain't gonna be able to milk GTA5 Online until 2022, and RDR2 [Online] success is uncertain.

GTA6 (and GTAO2) at the latest fall 2020, two years after RDR2. imo ;p

As for city, I dunno but I always thought they may just go full San Andreas like an MMO expansion. Set the story in San Fierro or Las Venturas on an expanded San Andreas map. Keep LS from GTA5 and update it with interiors for end-game optional content but especially for GTAO. So, GTAO players can play, visit, (and buy property) in both old city and the new city.

Comes a certain point maybe where the world design is so good, you gotta wonder, why throw it away? Why not just keep building the map so one day we have a GTA10 with like 10 cities we can travel between. The new story can be fully set in the new city -- so zero impact on the SP story -- but for free roam/online, why not just keep expanding.

camelCase

I still wish they went to Asia myself.

That would be awesome. The whole driving scenario would be different in a place like japan. Playing Yakuza 5 right now and going through all the taxi missions makes me hopeful for the sort of stuff they could do in that setting with driving/cars if they chose to set it in such a place.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
For me, it has to be some place with character, but London has been calling for a long time again.

Either way more important to me is theme, and I just don’t think I can accept anything other than another 80s one. Hell, the sound track alone would make it an instant hit...

svbarnard

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case, however, I'm not adverse to it in truth. I think the three protagonist nature of V worked pretty well so I'd be amazed if they didn't go down that route again. My main concern with any GTA game is the quality of the writing because frankly, I think it's pretty subpar for the most part. Everything is telegraphed, nothing is surprising and nuance never sees the light of day.
You are a quack!!!!!

stranno

Good lord, every single GTA game (yeah, except 2, London and probably the Tarantula's games) is based on the three cities from the first game: Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas.

Yeah, every incarnation of them have their unique vibe and map but why North cant let GTA go and do anything new?

bufkus

I don't want a male character in Mirror's Edge, Perfect Dark or Tomb Raider and I don't want a female character in GTA.

False equivalency because those three series each have a specific lead character whereas GTA has a new story every time.

You might as well have said "I don't want a female character in The Witcher" since Geralt is always the lead in that series.

And besides, there is nothing wrong with a female protagonist in GTA, especially given that you can create a female avatar in GTA Online and it's perfectly plausible (there are storylines in GTA Online).

On topic of GTA6 rumors, I'm more of a fan of the rumor of GTA6 spanning the entirety of a fictional USA but that's probably implausible as well given how much dev work that would be.

Last edited:
It released first on 360/PS3.
Yes that was my point.

Both GTA4 and GTA5 released on 360/PS3 before the current gen even started. They were never released on the PS2 despite the PS2s massive user base when GTA4 came out. Despite this, both sold like crazy and received stellar reviews which would not have been the case if GTA5 or GTA4 were instead built for last gen consoles at the time (PS2 GC etc)

The one on the PS4 came much later and is just a port.

The jaguar cpu is too weak to make a significantly better GTA with better AI and physics.

They would be better off building GTA6 for the next gen consoles (PS5 and XB2) only.

Last edited:

GenericUser

GTA will never go back to a non sunny instead gritty dark environment thanks to that billions of dollars they have to recoup.

Last edited:

Klik

Yes that was my point.

Both GTA4 and GTA5 released on 360/PS3 before the current gen even started. They were never released on the PS2 despite the PS2s massive user base when GTA4 came out. Despite this, both sold like crazy and received stellar reviews which would not have been the case if GTA5 or GTA4 were instead built for last gen consoles at the time (PS2 GC etc)

The jaguar cpu is too weak to make a significantly better GTA with better AI and physics.

They would be better off building GTA6 for the next gen consoles (PS5 and XB2) only.
PS2 already had 3 Gta's-Gta 3,Vice city and San Andreas in late 2004. They couldnt improve GTA anymore on PS2. Also,GTA 4 came in 2008 when ps3 was 2 years old,x360 3 years old.So both ps3 and x360 had decent userbase when GTA 4 came out.

Yes,Jaguar CPU aren't the best but its still miles better than Cell processor in PS3.What they did with ps3 that had only 512mb RAM and 256mb gpu is good example of how amazing GTA 6 can be on PS4/X1.If they develop the game for PS4 Pro/X1X as a lead platform we could see an amazing game.

Dunki

We need at least 2 playable character, maybe a Immigration officer that falls in love with the woman and get into a drug dealer scheme.
I rather want some Training Day scenario. You start as cop and you get more and more corrupted, until you sell and murder people.

I would bet a lot this is a fake rumor. 4 more years until a new GTA? HAHAHA, if I was a stakeholder I'd be lol'ing in the boardroom. So where are profits coming from, GTA online for 4 more years? Hell no. Unless they have some crazy plan with RDR2 for online, I don't buy this at all.

Plus if it's a female lead, just lmao that R* is going for progressive liberalism next! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

iorek21

Why not? Just think of all the awesomeness it will be! Carefully drawn out story so as not to offend, carefully spoken dialogue, I mean the possibilities are endless! What a fun game it would be.

If - and it's a big IF - they follow this way, they'll probably write a SJW plot until the very end, just to reveal that, in fact, they are just mocking everyone who thought they were seriously going that way

Otherwise... nah, won't happen

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Cant wait for a politically correct Grand Theft Auto game!
This is why I'm ignoring this rumor, it's GTA and a lot has happened since GTAV. A female character is possible as we haven't had one yet but it'll have nothing to do with equality.
Anyone thinking GTA will give in to political correctness is delusional, they're gonna mock the shit out everything, Trump, SJW's far left's, far rights.
Theres gonna be a lot GTA6 news.

valkyre

Guys just in case someone missed it, I am obviously sarcastic and dont believe that they will make a politically correct GTA lol. The reason for the sarcasm was the female protagonist rumor.

Last edited:
I think Vice City is a great idea and always what I assumed would be the setting for a GTA6.

Given the ocean exploration in GTAV, Vice City would be the perfect locale to expand on that, this time you could explore not just the city but tons of the ocean and maybe even the Florida keys and swampland.

Another addition they should add is Vice City's version of Miami's Haulover beach, a nude beach, imagine causing chaos on a nude beach! GTA has had nudity before and a nude beach would be a perfect way to push the envelope with the shock humor GTA is known for.

However I just can't see a female protagonist working for GTA, if it's south Florida a hispanic male would make the most sense as a protagonist.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Plus if it's a female lead, just lmao that R* is going for progressive liberalism next! AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Care to explain here? Why is a playable woman liberalism? In a series that had female leads before (GTA1: Mikki, Katie and Ulrika), and has female characters in GTA Online.

For the main story and not online or whatever, GTA goes for a semi-realistic, gritty approach to crime life (starting with 4 at least), it's not as over the top as something like Saints Row.

So given that context I just don't see a female protagonist working unless maybe they have multiple protagonists again, then maybe it could work.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
You just said it yourself : Semi-realism.

Plus like I said GTA has had female protagonists before both for a mainline game AND online. If you want a dude, because you feel like you identify more with a male character that's fine. But just say so, lol. None of these explanations really hold up IMO. Plus just googling female carjacker gives more than a few hits.

I don't see why a playable woman is "liberalism". Especially in a series, where it already happened multiple times. So I'd like to learn about that, is all.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Care to explain here? Why is a playable woman liberalism? In a series that had female leads before (GTA1: Mikki, Katie and Ulrika), and has female characters in GTA Online.
Lmao. The first 2 GTA games and GTA:O barely even have a story. You could play as an alien in those games and it wouldn't make a difference. Huge difference between those games and something that's actually story and narrative driven like GTA: SA.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Lmao. The first 2 GTA games and GTA:O barely even have a story. Huge difference between those games and something like GTA: SA.
I personally prefer woman rather than men but your free to make your own choices, not that theres anything wrong with that.

Heres some facts .. women are people. End list of facts.

Was having a black person in gta pandering or realistic? Is having a woman pandering or realistic?

brap

Banned
So? Why couldn't a female protagonist have a story then?
I didn't say that. You named female characters which were basically just empty shells. GTA didn't really start having a story until 3. No matter who you play as in GTA or GTA:O it's the same story. Not tailored to a specific character. And female characters weren't playable in the PS1 version for whatever reason.

I personally prefer woman rather than men but your free to make your own choices, not that theres anything wrong with that.

Heres some facts .. women are people. End list of facts.

Was having a black person in gta pandering or realistic? Is having a woman pandering or realistic?
I didn't say that either.

Lort

Banned
I didn't say that. You named female characters which were basically just empty shells. GTA didn't really start having a story until 3. No matter who you play as in GTA or GTA:O it's the same story. Not tailored to a specific character. And female characters weren't playable in the PS1 version for whatever reason.

I didn't say that either.
My apologies that was trufflepig not yourself :)

Top Bottom