• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 - SPEC II 1.40 Update coming on Wednesday | PS5 & PS4 Games

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
At this point the GT team is cleaning the floor with turn 10 devs faces .

A game that not a next gen only and has a PS4 port, looks better than FM ( I have at PC maximum graphics with 4090 ), has VR, has 4 player split screen ...

Yeah most of the team at turn 10 needs to get fired. Especially some of the heads that flat out lied and released a downgraded game.. on a fucking PC neverless.

If I am not mistaken. The team at PD is even less than half of what turn 10 team at.

Just to show the difference between competent devs and fucking woke idiots we have here.

Then they cry why not work from home and "he looked at me funny and he is not super gay like me I demand a raise and everyone fired"

Pretty biased and dullusional post overall.
Glosed over when you ranted at the end.

Both teams are actually very competent and both games are excellent. Both have great graphics and both play very well. The rest of what you said is rose colored noise.

That said, the 4 player split screen seems like a direct shot at ms, lol.

DJ12

I think that 190e is dying for one of your FM vs GT7 comparisons! I think I know what'll win lol

Did I miss something? Have we played different games? The cafe modes basically IS the career. Same structure? Because they call events sunday cup etc? It's completely different as I explained in my post

This post at GTplanet is good too

I'm not (deliberately) arguing with you I just don't understand the issue. Menus bring structure where you have to pick specific cars or vehicle types, and the series events bring the old style "campaign" but with the supposed structure.

if you explained how's it's I missed it in the just of moaning about being able to use different cars instead of being forced to use others.

Seems like the problem is of your own creation. Just use the same car problem resolved.

Last edited:

TheShocker

Great update! Between this and FM, I have tons of awesome racing content. Wish there was a wheel that was compatible with both consoles.

GreatnessRD

Buy a ps5, steering wheel and PSVR2. Enjoy the future.

This is a really big and good update.
Might can do a PS5 slim one day if the price is right or perhaps a Pro version next year, but I won't OD on a wheel and VR setup. But I'm glad the update is good. Still holding out hope for a PC release.

Taycan77

It's worth pointing out the trailer and blog post only detail content updates.

Tomorrows patch notes will detail the full changes, which includes any technical updates, fixes, QoL changes, engine swaps and so on.

Being a Spec II update those maybe more extensive than normal. Will just have to wait and see.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I realized that I still have my Wheelstand Pro from the last driving wheel I owned. That sealed the deal. I just ordered a copy of GT7 and the Thrustmaster T300RS for delivery tomorrow. I owned this driving wheel back with GT Sport, so I know it is damn good.

Now, I need to resist buying a PSVR.

Buy It Amazon GIF by Pudgy Penguins

CamHostage

Slight disappointment every time I look at a GT7 update that there's not an attempt at adding in-game raytracing options. RT didn't really play the factor in Forza that was expected, but it's still a bulletpoint GT is missing in technical discussions (for whatever that's worth...), and with the advancements in applying RT in the time since launch I'd be interested to see if Polyphony Digital could pull it off now. Not a big deal, not worth the performance tradeoff if they dipped below 60 in racing, but every time I hear about a version update, I'm always curious if they managed to push that graphical feature into use.

Otherwise, another excellent upgrade. 4P is quite the surprise, since GT has never split four ways.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Slight disappointment every time I look at a GT7 update that there's not an attempt at adding in-game raytracing options. RT didn't really play the factor in Forza that was expected, but it's still a bulletpoint GT is missing in technical discussions (for whatever that's worth...), and with the advancements in applying RT in the time since launch I'd be interested to see if Polyphony Digital could pull it off now. Not a big deal, not worth the performance tradeoff if they dipped below 60 in racing, but every time I hear about a version update, I'm always curious if they pushed that graphical feature into use.

Otherwise, another excellent upgrade. 4P is quite the surprise, since GT has never split four ways.
Tbh the only way that'll ever happen is if GT7 gets ported to PC, I think the devs value fluidity above everything else when playing, it would most likely destroy performance in a way they do not want. While I agree the option would be neat, I can completely understand the justification behind not doing it. I probably wouldn't use it, GT7 feels butter smooth as it is.

Finally! Finally some great work from a dev. Doing something FOR gamers for a change.

I needed this to wash the taste of piss out of my mouth from all the games that've releases recently, most of which I bought.

AC Mirage- supposed to get a fix for chromatic aberration ...1 month later nothing

Lords of Fallen- I like the game bit unpolished and doesn't look how I was expecting an Unreal 5 game to.

Forza 8- massive disappointment in its visuals. How you going to have so long to develop a next gen only racer and it looks NOTHING like the reveal trailers?

Starfield- yeah

Alan Wake 2- love the game but the image quality on ps5 sucks

This gen devs can really kiss my ass. So sick of the rushed bs and not fixing issues or adding promised content.

CamHostage

Tbh the only way that'll ever happen is if GT7 gets ported to PC, I think the devs value fluidity above everything else when playing, it would most likely destroy performance in a way they do not want. While I agree the option would be neat, I can completely understand the justification behind not doing it. I probably wouldn't use it, GT7 feels butter smooth as it is.

Possibly. It's certainly not something GT7 needs. (I personally find GT7 often more pleasing visually as is than Forza 8 on video, though I don't own the other game to see the difference first-hand.) However, it's one of those things that stupidly sticks in your craw when discussion comes up. And as good as GT7 looks, RT does smooth out some distractions of disbelief when implemented (if it can be done at the target framerate.) With advancements in RT in the past year (as well as more experiments in optimizing/simplifying RT, which Forza played with and Spider-Man 2 also has some experiments with across visual modes,) possibilities start to come into range.

As a mode, which would change nothing about the current version outside that mode, it wouldn't affect the butter-smooth gameplay as it is. However, if/when, many players would likely switch or default to that RT mode once it's there, thinking it to be "the best" and potentially get an inferior experience if PD didn't have a bulletproof RT implementation. And it is severely difficult if not impossible right now to promise a bulletproof RT mode.

Given that GT is still half-60FPS in the RT Replay Mode (that feels like it'd be the first place to apply an upgraded RT schema if they had work done on their approach), there aren't any signs yet that PD is pushing for anything more with RT than what they've delivered so far. PD is making the right choice in not chasing bulletpoints for argument's sake (and in prioritizing new content over graphical features with questionable improvement over its polished and efficient techniques.) Still, I can't help but to check, just out of curiosity of what would happen if it did get there.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Great continued support as always. This really is my last firm tie to PlayStation's ecosystem.

Nvzman

Possibly. It's certainly not something GT7 needs. (I personally find GT7 often more pleasing visually as is than Forza 8 on video, though I don't own the other game to see the difference first-hand.) However, it's one of those things that stupidly sticks in your craw when discussion comes up. And as good as GT7 looks, RT does smooth out some distractions of disbelief when implemented (if it can be done at the target framerate.) With advancements in RT in the past year (as well as more experiments in optimizing/simplifying RT, which Forza played with and Spider-Man 2 also has some experiments with across visual modes,) possibilities start to come into range.

Given that GT is still half-60FPS in the RT Replay Mode (that feels like it'd be the first place to apply an upgraded RT schema if they had work done on their approach), there aren't any signs yet that PD is pushing for anything more with RT than what they've delivered so far. PD is making the right choice in not chasing bulletpoints for argument's sake (and in prioritizing new content over graphical features with questionable improvement over its polished and efficient techniques.) Still, I can't help but to check, just out of curiosity of what would happen if it did get there.
Yea I'm going to be honest, in my opinion FM8 only really looks good in very specific scenarios with specific weather conditions and certain cars (and I've already put like 15-20 hours into it), the majority of the time the game looks extremely washed out and kind of piss poor compared to GT7. Imo targeting art direction over technical bullet points was absolutely the right move, GT7 looks crisp and butter smooth on a 4K TV with HDR, whereas FM8 looks weirdly dull in color, low resolution/blurry, and the models lack a lot of detail that GT7 has. Whats even worse is that I've played FM both maxed out on a PC and on Series X, and the Series X version looks considerably worse than the PC version maxed out.

Last edited:

Possibly they use RT as a marketing gimmick to sell Gran Turismo 8 so it will never come to GT7... GT7 is also a PS4 game, possibly there are obstacles to its implementation that may not exist in GT8.

[Sigma]

Going to mess around with it today. But i'll really play it a bunch when The Finals beta ends. Needles to say im excited for the update, ive missed a bunch of updates so I'll definitely have plenty to check outside of just this update as well.

CamHostage

Possibly they use RT as a marketing gimmick to sell Gran Turismo 8 so it will never come to GT7... GT7 is also a PS4 game, possibly there are obstacles to its implementation that may not exist in GT8.

By the time GT8 comes along, I imagine they will have very different conditions to sell another game and the marketing gimmick of RT probably won't do much. (Unless it was amazing RT, but then, Forza was "built from the ground up" for next-gen yet the end result didn't definitively put it on the next level.) I also don't personally think we'll be seeing two GTs every gen like the PS1/2/3 generations; GT7 isn't "GT Sport 2", but my guess is that it'll be supported as a service rather than sequalized; random though, but maybe adding bikes to GT7 ala Tourist Trophy (and DriveClub) might happen as well. Sales for GT7 are supposedly over 6mil so that'd be hard to turn down if Sony could get a second GT out in the PS5 era, but long-tail support tends to be the chosen play these days over putting a new disc on shelves every few years.

I also don't put a lot of stakes in that "cross-gen = boat anchor" theory of how console generations work these days. In the past, sure, but unless there's a core feature which fully utilizes specific hardware, or conversely unless the game is so locked into cross-play that it cannot add platform-specific features, scaling can do a ton for a game across platforms.

This GT7 Spec II update here is already adding some PS5-only features (the GT SOPHY 2.0 AI integration is only for PS5 players, and the 4P splitscreen is PS5-only as well; both are offline modes, avoiding cross-play compatibility issues,) and if/when GT7 were to be released on PC, ray-tracing options would almost assuredly be expected for ultra-spec machines. Other games have added RT in via a patch, and several of those games have even been cross-gen. There are reasons (good reasons) why GT7 doesn't have in-game RT features, it's nothing to fret over that GT7 doesn't have that graphical feature, (just get off rant boards and go enjoy the game!), but eh, it could be cool.

Last edited:

Inviusx

We know the constraints of these consoles now when it comes to RT and in my opinion it's not worth it until new hardware comes a long. The trade-off to get RT running is always a massive hit to image quality and I think GT7 did the right thing by optimising around a 2160p lock and throwing RT at the modes where you're actually focusing on the car models and not driving (Photomode). I think Forza 23 proved that in game RT isn't really as ground breaking as they suggested it would be.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

We know the constraints of these consoles now when it comes to RT and in my opinion it's not worth it until new hardware comes a long. The trade-off to get RT running is always a massive hit to image quality and I think GT7 did the right thing by optimising around a 2160p lock and throwing RT at the modes where you're actually focusing on the car models and not driving (Photomode). I think Forza 23 proved that in game RT isn't really as ground breaking as they suggested it would be.
Spot on , wish devs would just avoid any RT on console whether it’s first or third party hardware or software solutions.

T-0800

At this point the GT team is cleaning the floor with turn 10 devs faces .

A game that not a next gen only and has a PS4 port, looks better than FM ( I have at PC maximum graphics with 4090 ), has VR, has 4 player split screen ...

Yeah most of the team at turn 10 needs to get fired. Especially some of the heads that flat out lied and released a downgraded game.. on a fucking PC neverless.

If I am not mistaken. The team at PD is even less than half of what turn 10 team at.

Just to show the difference between competent devs and fucking woke idiots we have here.

Then they cry why not work from home and "he looked at me funny and he is not super gay like me I demand a raise and everyone fired"

will ferrell GIF

By the time GT8 comes along, I imagine they will have very different conditions to sell another game and the marketing gimmick of RT probably won't do much. (Unless it was amazing RT, but then, Forza was "built from the ground up" for next-gen yet the end result didn't definitively put it on the next level.) I also don't personally think we'll be seeing two GTs every gen like the PS1/2/3 generations; GT7 isn't "GT Sport 2", but my guess is that it'll be supported as a service rather than sequalized; random though, but maybe adding bikes to GT7 ala Tourist Trophy (and DriveClub) might happen as well. Sales for GT7 are supposedly over 6mil so that'd be hard to turn down if Sony could get a second GT out in the PS5 era, but long-tail support tends to be the chosen play these days over putting a new disc on shelves every few years.

I also don't put a lot of stakes in that "cross-gen = boat anchor" theory of how console generations work these days. In the past, sure, but unless there's a core feature which fully utilizes specific hardware, or conversely unless the game is so locked into cross-play that it cannot add platform-specific features, scaling can do a ton for a game across platforms.

This GT7 Spec II update here is already adding some PS5-only features (the GT SOPHY 2.0 AI integration is only for PS5 players, and the 4P splitscreen is PS5-only as well; both are offline modes, avoiding cross-play compatibility issues,) and if/when GT7 were to be released on PC, ray-tracing options would almost assuredly be expected for ultra-spec machines. Other games have added RT in via a patch, and several of those games have even been cross-gen. There are reasons (good reasons) why GT7 doesn't have in-game RT features, it's nothing to fret over that GT7 doesn't have that graphical feature, (just get off rant boards and go enjoy the game!), but eh, it could be cool.
or maybe they are waiting for the PS5 Pro, possibly a patch for both consoles but much better on the pro console obviously. Personally, I'd like to see what they can achieve if they aim for a 1080p/60fps RT mode on the "amateur" console.

Taycan77

Slight disappointment every time I look at a GT7 update that there's not an attempt at adding in-game raytracing options. RT didn't really play the factor in Forza that was expected, but it's still a bulletpoint GT is missing in technical discussions (for whatever that's worth...), and with the advancements in applying RT in the time since launch I'd be interested to see if Polyphony Digital could pull it off now. Not a big deal, not worth the performance tradeoff if they dipped below 60 in racing, but every time I hear about a version update, I'm always curious if they managed to push that graphical feature into use.

If in-game RT is added that will be detailed in the changelog when the patch notes are released. As PD did for the 120fps and VRR options.

Todays details are only new content & feature updates.

Justin9mm

If not playing in VR, what camera do people use for GT7.. I don't know what it is but the car chase camera feels god awful compared to games like Forza. There is something so off about it.

Unknown?

If not playing in VR, what camera do people use for GT7.. I don't know what it is but the car chase camera feels god awful compared to games like Forza. There is something so off about it.
That can be adjusted in the settings, but I don't really get the hate for the ridgid camera. Is it being more loose really better? I'm paying attention to the road, not the car.

Nobody here asking the important question:

4 player split screen will still be at 60 fps?

edit: For people who don't know, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe split screen runs at 60 fps only in 2 players, when there are 3-4 players it runs at 30 fps

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

From the perspective of the driver, it is indeed the world rotating and the car is standing still

This is why people thought the Sun went around the Earth in ancient history
Makes sense from a 1st person view perspective. The other poster was referring to this phenomenon when one is using the 3rd person camera. In saying that, I don't find anything wrong with GT7 3rd person camera, it's just a different way of doing it.

Crayon

From the perspective of the driver, it is indeed the world rotating and the car is standing still

This is why people thought the Sun went around the Earth in ancient history

I had a jeep that thought that. It told me one night after I drank a bottle of cough syrup.

Unknown?

Why do you people keep screaming for in-race RT? Even as a guy that mostly uses chase cam, I couldnt care less about RT reflections while Im buzzing 300km/h down the road. I have no time to look at a reflection of another car next to mine.
I have it turned on in replays but I don't even notice a difference. If I compared them side by side, I'm sure I could notice it.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m reinstalling this again when I get home tomorrow to see all the changes. I even paid the money for a legit wheel and stick shift to go crazy on this and other race sims a year or so ago.

Problem now is I gotta figure out a way to set those up while sit at a couch which idk if there is. Before I had the wheel and shifter attached to my desktop desk like you’re supposed to clamp them to.

Feels like blasphemy to drive with a controller after experiencing a wheel.

Top Bottom