• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Lol I'll prolly do the Spa as well. Unfortunately I set a time per accident. Would love the witness of the first corner. Anyway the Gr4 Silvia is my favorite car so that's nice.

omegasc

The hairpin is also important. Try going for a more angular line so you can accelerate early, but no need to go deep, as you can go over the big kerb and apply throttle on top of it (try one gear up). If done correctly, you shouldn't slip and get proper speed up to the next braking point.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Cutting the first leg of the chicane isn't as important as the second...

This actually helped me a lot to get a better angle for the second corner. Still, 90% of the time i get a penalty on the exit since i'm just a bit to far to the left.

Got a 1:40:6XX and there is still a bit room left going by the best individual sectors of the stint. Curious how far the gold time will drop.

I did experiment with the double shift 4 to 6 but sometimes I just mess it up. I short shift all gears... not really sure if I do it right but it feels like the speed goes up faster after I do lol

I can do the double upshift but i need to let go of the gas so long that i'm still faster without this.

The hairpin is also important. Try going for a more angular line so you can accelerate early, but no need to go deep, as you can go over the big kerb and apply throttle on top of it (try one gear up). If done correctly, you shouldn't slip and get proper speed up to the next braking point.

Yeah there is a lot to gain in this corner. In general this TT is a heavy skill check.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Lol I'm dumb. It's about the TT

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Using the Castrol on race B on Leguna Seca. Great track although I'm over driving it and braking way to late to connect the apexes

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Tomorrow morning I'll be rapid

Christian Bale Idk GIF

LostDonkey

I'm B S rated, about to get back into A after being in A+ for a while.

The standards of driving have dropped massively recently. Keep getting rammed off when overtaking, punted from the rear...

What the hell is going on??

Con-Z-epT

Gran Turismo 7’s Next Update is Coming This Week​

A server maintenance notice posted in-game and on the official Gran Turismo 7 website has confirmed that (as expected) the next game update is coming this week, on Thursday April 27.

The notice contains the crucial words “game update maintenance”, used to differentiate general maintenance and that required for a game update to be applied. It’s scheduled for 0600-0800 UTC on April 27, which means the update will become available in that window but players will only be able to download and install it until the game servers are back online.

Although we’ve been expecting the update for a little while, we haven’t yet seen the regular pre-update routine “silhouette” image. This is usually posted by Polyphony Digital boss Kazunori Yamauchi on the Saturday or Sunday ahead of an update and reveals the car contents by way of a heavily under-lit image that allows fans to guess what’s coming. However the weekend has come and gone without it, even though we do already know what some of the update’s contents are.
We know that the Dallara-built Super Formula SF23 will be coming to the game in this week’s update, as originally revealed towards the end of March. That will see both the Honda- and Toyota-engined versions of the car join its sibling, 2019 SF19 machine in the game.

One other thing we know is going to appear is a version of the Deep Forest Raceway circuit decked-out in special Olympic signage. The track will host the online qualification Time Trial for the 2023 Olympic Esports Series, with the top eligible players when the event closes on May 7 heading to a live final in Singapore this June.

That aside, we’re not entirely sure what to expect from the update we’re tentatively calling v1.32, but further information (including a silhouette Tweet and an update video, usually posted a day before an update) should come along in due course.

Last edited:
Started playing this a few weeks ago. Pretty fun to collect and mod cars. My one gripe is those roulette tickets. They're definitely pre-determined, because I've accidentally powered down during the selection and it lands on the same thing (usually the smallest pile of coins).

edit: Actually, I have a question. Is there a quicker way to change cars without having to go to the garage? I know when you try to use a car that doesn't qualify for a race they provide a Change Car button, but is there a way to do this on the regular? A shortcut?

Last edited:

Markio128

Started playing this a few weeks ago. Pretty fun to collect and mod cars. My one gripe is those roulette tickets. They're definitely pre-determined, because I've accidentally powered down during the selection and it lands on the same thing (usually the smallest pile of coins).

edit: Actually, I have a question. Is there a quicker way to change cars without having to go to the garage? I know when you try to use a car that doesn't qualify for a race they provide a Change Car button, but is there a way to do this on the regular? A shortcut?
Not that I’m aware of. It irks me when I’m using the customer race option and I have to go back to the garage each time I want to change the car.

Con-Z-epT

Gran Turismo 7’s Real-Time Skybox Simulation Detailed in GDC Presentation​

A presentation given by Polyphony Digital landscape design engineers at the 2023 Game Developers Conference has detailed the custom skybox simulator “Skysim” developed for Gran Turismo 7.

Although there isn’t a video of the presentation yet, a copy of the slideshow has been uploaded to the GDCVault site, an educational resource which hosts materials from GDC events.

The talk, presented by graphic engineer and Scapes artist Kentaro Suzuki and landscape technical artist Kenichiro Yasutomi comes in at 268 slides long, but covers some quite fascinating ground. In essence the presentation deals with the challenges Polyphony Digital faced when it decided to make dynamic weather and time conditions for Gran Turismo 7 (in 2019) having used static conditions in GT Sport.

That meant creating dynamic skyboxes and, in part through its experiences in developing Scapes — static scene photographs with 3D lighting data, allowing players to place a vehicle in the shot and have it seem natural — PD realized that no existing dynamic sky solutions fully reflected the real thing.

Naturally this lead to the team deciding to create its own, and it involved digging into some pretty serious science, including the phenomenon of light scattering. Light scattering is, as the name suggests, how light rays are refracted, reflected, and absorbed by particles between their source (the Sun, in this case) and the observer. Particles can include larger fragments like dust, salt, and soot, or even the molecules of nitrogen and oxygen (among others) that make up the air itself.

Particles of different sizes scatter light in different ways, with two different models that account for it. Rayleigh Scattering deals with smaller particles well below the wavelength of visible light itself, while Mie Scattering covers aerosols and larger particles. Skysim takes account of both aspects.

Using atmospheric data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) AERONET observation system (which measures sunlight scattering due to aerosols at locations around the world) PD was able to generate realistic conditions according to the geographical location of each circuit.

Combining the data with sun elevation according to time of day, PD was able to fully render accurate lighting conditions at any given time, although the computational requirements were “incredible” and required any spare PC capacity in the studio.

Handily Scapes also came into play here. The results of the render could be directly compared to real-world imagery as captured during the Scapes creation process, validating the authenticity of the simulated skybox. That leads to the final stage: interpolation. With each “offline” render producing the skybox at any given time, the in-game dynamic simulation needed to both transition from one render to the next and produce intermediate stages, which it does by aggregating the skyboxes either side. According to the presentation, this is achieved at no less than the rate of one frame every 9.19ms.

There’s a lot more besides in the presentation, including how PD simulates clouds within the skybox, and although a lot of it is pretty technical it does give an appreciation for how far the team reaches for realism.

Con-Z-epT

Update Details (1.32)​

A new update for Gran Turismo 7 has been released. The following is a list of the main features and adjustments introduced.

Main Features Implemented​

1. Cars
 - The following four new cars have been added:
  ・Jaguar XJ220 '92 (Purchasable at 'Legend Cars' from 27 April March)
  ・Mercedes-AMG GT3 '20
  ・Dallara SF23 Super Formula / Honda '23
  ・Dallara SF23 Super Formula / Toyota '23

2. World Circuits
 - The following new events have been added to 'World Circuits':
  ・Watkins Glen International
   - Super Formula
  ・Circuit de Sainte-Croix
   - Super Formula
  ・Fuji International Speedway
   - Super Formula
  ・Interlagos
   - Hypercar Parade

3. Scapes
 - The 'North Yorkshire' and 'Miyazaki' locations have been added as featured Curations in Scapes.

4. Café
 - The following Menu Book has been added:
  ・Menu Book No. 47: 'Super Formula' (Collector Level 31 and above)

- The following two Extra Menus have been added:
  ・Extra Menu No. 20: 'Collection: Shelby' (Collector Level 41 and above);
  ・Extra Menu No. 21: 'Collection: Alpine' (Collector Level 35 and above);

- Added new sets of conversations with the Car Designers and Characters appearing in the Café. These new conversations can be accessed by changing to the following cars in 'Garage' and speaking with the Characters in the Café:

CHARACTERS
   - Chris
    ・Jaguar XJ220 '92

- Jeremy
    ・Mercedes-AMG GT3 '20

- Stella

5. Brand Central
 - New Museum entries for 'Super Formula' and 'Brembo' sections have been added.

6. Multiplayer
 - Auto-start function added to races in Lobby.

Other Improvements and Adjustments​

1. Physics Simulation Model
 - Fixed an issue wherein using a steering controller the wheel would turn by itself when travelling under 5km/h.

2. Sound
 - Adjusted the engine sound of the following car:
  ・Audi RS 5 Turbo DTM '19

3. Cars
 - Adjusted the wheel items available for the following car:
  ・Toyota Alphard Executive Lounge '18

4. Tracks
 - The following objects have been updated on Fuji International Speedway:
  ・Fuji Speedway Hotel
  ・ROOKIE Racing garage
  ・Podium
  ・Billboards and other items

5. Multiplayer
 - Lobby
  ・Added the 'Settings' button to the Quick Menu during Qualifying.

6. Sport
 - The screen displayed after quitting an event has been changed for each type of event in Sport mode:
  ・Daily Races
    After finishing a Qualifying Time Trial > Entry screen
    After finishing a Daily Race > Daily Race selection screen
    After viewing a replay on the Qualifying Time Trial rankings board > Rankings board

・Championships
    After finishing a Free Practice > Entry screen
    After finishing a race > Championship top screen
    After viewing a replay on the Free Practice rankings board > Rankings board

・Online Time Trials
    After finishing a Time Trial > Entry screen
    After viewing a replay on the Online Time Trial rankings board > Rankings board

7. Trophies
 - The following cars have been added to the requirements for the 'Formula First Timer' trophy:
  ・Honda RA272 '65
  ・McLaren MP4/4 '88

8. Localisation
 - Fixed various text localisation issues.

9. Others
 - Various other issues have been addressed.

sncvsrtoip

Wow we got three new online time trials. This will be exhausting. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Olympic tt with insane p1 and 1.5% for gold is far from my possibilites but will target silver here. Try to gold other two tough will not be able to play for a week so have only time today. Generaly happy they introduced another week tt, so we can get 6m cr per 2 weeks now, will be rich soon ;d

Con-Z-epT

Olympic tt with insane p1 and 1.5% for gold is far from my possibilites but will target silver here. Try to gold other two tough will not be able to play for a week so have only time today. Generaly happy they introduced another week tt, so we can get 6m cr per 2 weeks now, will be rich soon ;d

So will this be the norm now to have multiple TT's or is this an exception?

Yeah the 1,5% is tough. Can't wait for you to jump in properly! It's always a blast to set times against all of you!

Con-Z-epT

Video Feature GIF

Finally! Hopefully they open up restrictions too, because one should be able to put any LS block or LT block in any Vette or Camaro, same for the 2J motors in Japanese cars, etc.. It is so woefully limited.

Seems like they realized themselves that it's a missed opportunity in it's current state. I didn't mind to much after the ticket glitch but they have added so much engine swaps since then that i only as wondering how i would ever get all these. It's awesome content and everybody should be able to access it.

Con-Z-epT

I could improve time by 0.5s :d tough going for little holiday so no gt7 for few days...

I definitely struggle with this combination. Awesome time you did there!

...you got nice olympic time, unfortunetly this one also will not improve

I tried to get below the 3.00% mark with the Toyota to pretend i got some poor mans gold. :messenger_tears_of_joy: The track limitations make this one so much harder.

omegasc

as much as I'm liking using the DualSense, I miss my wheel. The immersion is awesome. I was also looking at buttkickers for that added kerb realism mainly, but a friend of mine said one guy had to sell his because of the neighbor downstairs comlaining about the noise :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I would imagine using an EVA base would fix it, but I don't know.
Hopefuly I can assemble the rig back again in the next month.

Last edited:
Top Bottom