• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I think Sophy finds great holes in your driving and goes for it but also plenty of times it just full on slammed me from behind as well as on the sides, its super aggressive. If we are talking about realism, this isnt really how a real driver would race. Plus it never gets a penalty either. I felt like I was driving against a human opponent but the one with bad sportsmanship.

But was it happy while doing so? What did the emoji show?

sncvsrtoip

Watched Kie25 gt7 vr stream and also super gt reactions and they were amazed by immersion and quality. But what find interesting that track elevation and sense of speed are great in gt7 vr while in flat version are far from perfect. So PD needed vr to nail this two important aspects.

Con-Z-epT

52712408419_45298e2d67_o.png

52712408444_0b358769dd_o.png

Con-Z-epT

I had a few attempts at daily race C today. I really like the track and it sure was fun but there wasn't a single race where i wasn't pushed off track. Sometimes multiple times and in savage ways.

The good thing however is that i made my second appearance in a monday Tigney video. At least that's something. Although he was the one that killed me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Timestamped! Also check the bloopers at the end to see my poor soul get fucked a second time.

Lasha

I think Sophy finds great holes in your driving and goes for it but also plenty of times it just full on slammed me from behind as well as on the sides, its super aggressive. If we are talking about realism, this isnt really how a real driver would race. Plus it never gets a penalty either. I felt like I was driving against a human opponent but the one with bad sportsmanship.
Sounds like drivatar nonsense.

Lasha

The play together races are pretty fun. Playing offline and having something resembling a proper race is outstanding. I like seeing the AI race each other instead of just driving in a procession. There's definitely some niggles and unrealistic aspects that need to be ironed out. Solid first showing though.

The latest time trial is also fun. I enjoy the track much more than the road racing variant of Daytona. I did 1:45xx cold and I'm looking forward to refining this challenge.

RavageX

GT7 VR is the greatest thing I've ever experienced in 30 years as a gamer. I'm using a controller but it still feels excellent 👌.

Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming ova 'ere.
My friend, if you do enjoy GT and VR I would suggest you get a wheel, pedals, and a chair. I am NOT a racing enthusiast. I have played GT since PS1, but skipped 4 and 6....barely played 5, and didn't mess with sport much BUT I do enjoy GT, I always have. The anticipation of VR in Sport made me take the time to buy a wheel set up, and I did it on the cheap. Waited for stuff to be on sale and found a decent chair that I can even fold up. (Next Level Racing).

There is nothing quite like using a wheel with this game, the feedback that you get from it alone...I think you would really enjoy it.

I did buy a shifter (I have the logitech wheel and pedals) but honestly the shifter kinda sucks....there's no resistance of any sort.

I still get that feeling of being in another world when I take off the VR headset after a session, lol. I

PaintTinJr

Just went back to try out the new Sophy AI challenges after a few months off and have broken through the 200 hour playing barrier, now.

The new AI feels absolutely brilliant and hard as nails for a mediocre player like myself. There is one failing in the Sophy Violette AI car that I've seen and seems consistent, and that is that it won't rationalise slowing up as a strategy.

On the first challenge (in expert difficulty) I've got a lovely replay of the long straight before the long right hander corner to the finish line where the Violette car tries to overtake me on the long straight after exiting the penultimate corner. I continued to veer and push to the right on the straight - blocking the easy overtake and blocking access to the racing line. Instead of slowing and under-passing me to reach the racing line, the AI just edged ahead - nowhere near the approach for the apex - and when I eventually yielded to recover the racing line - and broke to take the corner at speed the Violette AI began to spin a little across the front of my car. Me cornering left to right, and it losing control in a right to left spin because the AI hadn't strategically worked out my strategy to understand I had them over a barrel.

IIRC I still got the clean racing bonus with the win, because our cars just "rubbed" and I was in front and had the line before the manoeuvre.

Great stuff, though, it has really added an amazing depth to the racing, and the emotes while racing work brilliantly IMO, the game just keeps getting better, and I can't wait to try the VR2 with a Thrustmaster TR350 at a friend's this month.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OK I've still not bought GT7... and I am really looking forward to. 4k oled hdr should look good right ?!
btw, there is no reason to get disc version at all aside from being able to put it in my collection, right ?

I usually only play with chase cameras if I ever play a racing game since I think it gives you more feedback which you don't have when not sitting in a real car.
But I've found this video which resolves one of my griipes with racing games - the stiff inside camera. The wobble mode looks so good! I don't think there is anything like that for 3rd person.

btw. There is no cool stuff like this in gt7 right ? :( This looks great. Shame I never had a ps3.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

OK I've still not bought GT7... and I am really looking forward to. 4k oled hdr should look good right ?!
btw, there is no reason to get disc version at all aside from being able to put it in my collection, right ?

I usually only play with chase cameras if I ever play a racing game since I think it gives you more feedback which you don't have when not sitting in a real car.
But I've found this video which resolves one of my griipes with racing games - the stiff inside camera. The wobble mode looks so good! I don't think there is anything like that for 3rd person.

btw. There is no cool stuff like this in gt7 right ? :( This looks great. Shame I never had a ps3.

The main reasons are being able to take the game to a friend's - and potentially lend them it for a bit to convert them to a GT player - and if VR2 wasn't out putting the prices back to full retail, the disc has been cheaper. I got the PS4 disc copy new and paid PS5 upgrade patch all in for about £36 (26+10).

LokusAbriss

GT7 is a great game, but what bugs me the most, are missing options with upgrades and tuning.

Especially with tyre width. You are left with either tiny original tyres, slightly wider with no dimensions information or really big tyres through the wide body option. In reality you can put a broad variety of tyre sizes into a standard car body. This can fix grip in most cases. GT7 only gives you extreme choices. And adding Sport or Racing tyres do not fix the problem. Especially with more power upgrades.

This leaves you using only cars that come with a proper tyre size from factory or using wide body upgrades.

The other thing that feels like a huge red flag, for their otherwise great physic system, is no possibility to change the tyre pressure. Something that is essential in racing simulators.

Last edited:

GladiusFrog

My friend, if you do enjoy GT and VR I would suggest you get a wheel, pedals, and a chair. I am NOT a racing enthusiast. I have played GT since PS1, but skipped 4 and 6....barely played 5, and didn't mess with sport much BUT I do enjoy GT, I always have. The anticipation of VR in Sport made me take the time to buy a wheel set up, and I did it on the cheap. Waited for stuff to be on sale and found a decent chair that I can even fold up. (Next Level Racing).

There is nothing quite like using a wheel with this game, the feedback that you get from it alone...I think you would really enjoy it.

I did buy a shifter (I have the logitech wheel and pedals) but honestly the shifter kinda sucks....there's no resistance of any sort.

I still get that feeling of being in another world when I take off the VR headset after a session, lol. I
That was the plan, It's going to take time for me to save for the full setup but that's my goal.

Unfortunately I had to return my PSVR2 unit due to faulty controllers, but more then likely I'll purchase another unit later this year.

I want the whole setup and probably the best wheel with the shifter and handbrake add-ons. So I best get saving lmao.

Crayon

GT7 is a great game, but what bugs me the most, are missing options with upgrades and tuning.

Especially with tyre width. You are left with either tiny original tyres, slightly wider with no dimensions information or really big tyres through the wide body option. In reality you can put a broad variety of tyre sizes into a standard car body. This can fix grip in most cases. GT7 only gives you extreme choices. And adding Sport or Racing tyres do not fix the problem. Especially with more power upgrades.

This leaves you using only cars that come with a proper tyre size from factory or using wide body upgrades.

The other thing that feels like a huge red flag, for their otherwise great physic system, is no possibility to change the tyre pressure. Something that is essential in racing simulators.

Agreed and I miss high and low speed damping adjustment, too.

GladiusFrog

Had my brother in law over for St. Patricks day shenanigans. Guy is a Xbox owner and has only played the Forza series.

Man this guy instantly fell in love with GT7, he couldn't get over the detail and how good the game played with just a controller. Lol I think I sold a playstation that day. GT7 is phenomenal.

Con-Z-epT

Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT nice tt time ;) Its quite tough one, I managed to do 1.28.93 in vr and am quite happy tough not sure will be enough for gold :messenger_savoring: Drove over 800km:messenger_beaming:

Yeah this might be the hardest we had this year. Initially i struggled with silver and been quite happy i managed to get a gold time.

And just as you, i wonder if it will be enough to maintain the gold medal. Pretty crazy how the times have been lowered on this particular time trial.

But it's a real blast once you get accustomed to the car. I bet it's even more exhilarating in VR. Hats of for driving such a time in VR!

Edit: Pretty burned out on this TT after countless laps. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Markio128

The buzz for new cars is really heightened for me, knowing that I can check them out in the VR showroom.
I’m guessing the Sophy section will be removed with this update, so I really hope there are at least a few new events added to the roster.
I’ll continue to wish for some new cups to be added.

Con-Z-epT

Will the Audi RS 5 Turbo DTM '19 end up in the Gr. 3 or Gr. 2 category? Or none? Would be cool to have a new addition to the Gr. 2 cars.

Con-Z-epT

The buzz for new cars is really heightened for me, knowing that I can check them out in the VR showroom.
I’m guessing the Sophy section will be removed with this update, so I really hope there are at least a few new events added to the roster.
I’ll continue to wish for some new cups to be added.

The sprint layout for the Nürburgring GT track is rumored since forever. Just guessing.

Yes, new cups would be awesome. Given how many things have been patched into the game within a year I'm curious what 2023 will bring.

Con-Z-epT

I could never get remote play to work on PS4 years ago and never bothered since but today i downloaded the remote play app and played GT7 on my phone. Not sure if it is because of the PS5, a newer smartphone or overall better connection but it was super easy.

Obviously it's much better on the TV, but i was surprised that it played fairly good. Especially when so many people keep complaining about latency. I missed the adaptive triggers. Will have to do some more testing but good to know i can still play when the missus is occupying the TV.

Romulus

Car and Driver tried GT7 in VR

You can't help but let out an audible "oh my God" and quickly forget what Gran Turismo 7 was like without VR. It's seriously that good. The change of perspective while wearing the PS VR2 headset is major. It's a lot of fun but doesn't feel like playing a game; it feels exceptionally real.

Pretty awesome to live in a time where motorhead publications are saying videogames are finally close enough to the real thing. Without VR, it doesn't even come remotely close to this. I feel bad for people that think VR is just "a screen close to your face." It's so far beyond that.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43415083/sony-psvr2-headset-racing-specs-details/

Last edited:
Top Bottom