• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 |OT| Hitting the Apex

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Man that's a huge amount of changes in there.

Very curious how this will look at 120Hz with VRR activated. Also interesting that they change the time of day for all CE and license tests.

Can't wait. Gonna be a vroomy weekend. :messenger_grinning:

Con-Z-epT

Update Details (1.31)​

The following is a list of the main features and adjustments introduced for the latest update to Gran Turismo 7.

Main Features Implemented​

1. Cars
 - The following five new cars have been added:
  ・Audi RS 5 Turbo DTM '19
  ・Mazda 3 X Burgundy Selection '19
  ・Porsche 959 '87 (Available for purchase at Legend Cars beginning March 30)
  ・Porsche Carrera GTS (904) '64 (Available for purchase at Legend Cars beginning March 30)
  ・Toyota Alphard Executive Lounge '18

2. Tracks
 - The following two layouts have been added to the Nürburgring:
  ・Nürburgring Endurance
  ・Nürburgring Sprint

3. World Circuits
 - The following new events have been added to World Circuits:
  ・Nürburgring
   - Japanese 4WD Challenge 600
   - World Touring Cars 800
  ・Kyoto Driving Park
   - Porsche Cup
  ・Tokyo Expressway
   - Japanese 4WD Challenge 600

4. Scapes
 - "Sakura" has been added as a featured Curation in Scapes.

5. Café
 - The following two Extra Menus have been added:
  ・Extra Menu No. 18: Collection: Toyota Family Cars (Collector Level 28 and above)
  ・Extra Menu No. 19: Collection: Ford GT (Collector Level 44 and above)

- New sets of conversations with the Car Designers and Characters appearing in the Café have been added. These new conversations can be accessed by changing to the following cars in Garage and speaking with the Characters in the Café:

CAR DESIGNERS (In alphabetical order)
   - Mr. Freeman Thomas
    ・Porsche Spyder Type 550/1500RS '55
    ・Porsche 911 Turbo (930) '81
    ・Porsche 911 RSR (991) '17

- Mr. Fabio Filippini
    ・Ferrari 512 BB '76
    ・Nissan Silvia K's Dia Selection (S13) '90
    ・Nissan Silvia Q's (S13) '88
    ・Renault Clio V6 24V '00

CHARACTERS
  - Jeremy
    ・Audi RS 5 Turbo DTM '19
    ・Porsche Carrera GTS (904) '64
    ・Porsche 959 '87

- Stella
    ・Mazda3 X Burgundy Selection '19
    ・Toyota Alphard Executive Lounge '18

6. Display Settings
 - Support for 120 Hz Output and VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) have been added.

7. Multiplayer
 - Keyboard Camera Switching Feature has been added to the Lobby races.

8. Sport
 - In the Online Championships, different leagues will have different penalty settings and race regulations. For the 2022/23 Exhibition Series - Season 4, the race schedule for GT2 and GT3 League will feature more entry slots to allow for a wider participation at different times of the day.

Other Improvements and Adjustments​

1. Physics Simulation Model
 - The car physics simulation model has been adjusted.
 - We have adjusted the effect of Traction Control, ABS, Active Stability Management, and Countersteering Assistance in the Assist Settings.
 - We have also changed some of the default settings for the Assist Presets in the Assist Settings as follows:
  ・Intermediate
    Countersteering Assistance: Strong → Weak
    Traction Control: 5 → 3
  ・ Expert
    Countersteering Assistance: Strong → Off

If "Intermediate" or "Expert" was selected prior to the update, the settings will not be overwritten, but the Assist Preset will change to Custom instead.
 - The Performance Points (PP) of some cars have been adjusted.
 - The incorrect display of the toe angle adjustment in Car Settings has been addressed.

2. Legend Cars
 - Legend Cars (Hagerty Collection) prices have been revised based on real-life valuations from Gran Turismo partner, Hagerty.

Hagerty provides valuations and vehicle insurance for classic cars and has sponsors historic car events.

New prices will be applied the next time a vehicle goes on sale. The next price revision is scheduled for June 2023.

- Changed the manufacturer of the CLK-LM '98 from "AMG" to "Mercedes-Benz."

3. World Circuits
 - The target times for all events within the Circuit Experience has been adjusted, and the demonstrations have been updated accordingly. Also, ranking boards for all events have been reset.
 - We have adjusted the settings for the Pickup Truck Race on the following tracks:
  ・ Willow Springs Raceway
  ・ Daytona International Speedway
  ・ Colorado Springs (PP recommended values have changed)
 - We also adjusted the settings for the World Touring Car 600 on the following track:
  ・ Tokyo Expressway
 - An issue in which the Race Shop was not available in some cases at the Meeting Places has been rectified.

4. License Center
 - The target times for all events in the license tests have been adjusted, and the demonstrations have been updated accordingly. Also, all event ranking boards have been reset.

5. Missions
 - We have adjusted the settings for the following events:
  Rolling Stone
   ・Drag Race "0-400m Acceleration Battle 1"

Moby Dick
   ・Drag Race "0-400m Acceleration Battle 2"

Gone with the Wind
   ・Drag Race "0-400m Acceleration Battle 3"

The Sun Also Rises
   ・Drag Race "0-1000m Acceleration Battle 1"

The Human Comedy
   ・Autopolis One Hour
   ・Kyoto Driving Park One Hour
   ・Deep Forest Raceway One Hour
   ・Alsace One Hour
   ・Lake Maggiore Circuit One Hour

Also, the ranking boards for the above drag races have been reset.

6. Scapes
 - The Avatar driver will now be selected as default when an onboard driver is enabled.

7. Home
 - We addressed an issue in which the online ID was displayed instead of the nickname on the car body during Scapes movies and the VR showroom.

8. Race Display
 - Track Map display to the Pit Menu has been added.

9. Localization
 - We rectified various text localization issues.

10. Others
 - Various other issues have been addressed.

Last edited:
This game runs like butter now, IF you play it on a VRR capable 120hz TV.

The regular 4K60 mode will encounter the same stutters it did, even if you turn VRR on. You need to turn 120hz on too to have better performance.

My testing:
  • Regular 4K60 mode with a full grid at sunset can have small stutters, they don't show on the C1 frame counter but you can feel it.
  • Resolution mode + 120hz is amazing, it runs at a similar res to Native 4K but can reach 120fps easily on TTs and on races, it never goes below 70fps. A full grid at Tokyo night, full rain gets you 70-90fps, depending on how many cars are on the screen. Sunset at RBR, full grid will run at 85-100fps. Regular 1v1 at Grand Valley 100+fps.
  • Framerate mode + 120hz is lower res, but not by much either. It will run a full grid at night, raining at Tokyo at 110-120fps.
I hope DF gets on it. The new physics are more realistic too. It's hard to not be a GT fan, these devs have passion

Celcius

°Temp. member
What’s the fastest way to make money these days? I haven’t played in a while and want that 959. I’m assuming they patched the tomahawk?

Con-Z-epT

What’s the fastest way to make money these days? I haven’t played in a while and want that 959. I’m assuming they patched the tomahawk?

Le Mans WTC 700 (31 minutes on avarage) 825,000 CR
Sardegna Road Track WTC 800 (25 minutes with good pace in a Gr.2 car) 727,500 CR
Spa Francorchamps WTC 800 (1 hour endurance) 1,500,000 CR
Tokyo Expressway WTC 600 (around 25 minutes) 825,000 CR

The credit values are for finishing the race with a clean race bonus.

Edit: Yes, the Tomahawk glitch has been patched.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Since i have a Sony XH90, 120hz won't make a difference right? Since VRR is busted in those...

I have the same TV, 120hz works just fine but theres a slight downgrade in picture quality (still looks great though). Sadly VRR isn't worth it for us because it disables local dimming which destroys the picture quality. Stick to 60 FPS (VRR disabled) or 120 Hz (VRR disabled).

Celcius

°Temp. member
Le Mans WTC 700 (31 minutes on avarage) 825,000 CR
Sardegna Road Track WTC 800 (25 minutes with good pace in a Gr.2 car) 727,500 CR
Spa Francorchamps WTC 800 (1 hour endurance) 1,500,000 CR
Tokyo Expressway WTC 600 (around 25 minutes) 825,000 CR

The credit values are for finishing the race with a clean race bonus.

Edit: Yes, the Tomahawk glitch has been patched.
What car is best for doing these easily now that we can’t tomahawk our way through them anymore?

Con-Z-epT

What car is best for doing these easily now that we can’t tomahawk our way through them anymore?
Doesn't make much difference since there is no real cheese anymore. Just pic a car you like and go. For the Sardegna race you can detune a Gr.2 car which makes it fairly easy. However the PP system got updated and i haven't tried it since. If you struggle and just want money put the difficulty on easy.

Con-Z-epT

I really like the overhauled physics in the game. Feels like a refinement of what we got with one of the updates in the midst of 2022. And i hope it stays this time because it feels more realistic to me. I will have to do more tests for tirewear but this seems to be a wonderful improvement with more diverse impacts on wear so that a tactical choice matters much more in a heated race. Trailbreaking doesn't seem to be as effective anymore.

There also seems to be a lot of changes to BoP. Hard to pin down exactly but from the races i did it felt different. In general i think it's quite impressive how the playing field has evened out in terms of BoP and the PP system. Where this felt more like a raw number that could easily be exploited the effects now are much more nuanced and meaningful. It's not perfect but it feels like we are getting there.

The new Nürburgring layouts are a nice addition. Sprint layout is awesome for some Gr.4 races and i love the different crowd with all the smoke on the endurance layout.

The new cars are cool. Had the most fun with the Mazda and was surprised how different the Alphard handled. The Audi is also awesome as is the 959. Only the 904 isn't my cup of tea.

As incredible as the addition of the higher framerates is i can't trade in this crisp image for frames. Would love to see PD iron out the frame rate for the regular 4K mode, especially after it being more unstable since the update.

Solid update.

Con-Z-epT

52788261284_09122b9b86_o.png

52788031081_a741dfe605_o.png

52788042336_21588e1491_o.png

Con-Z-epT

Super Formula SF23 Confirmed for Gran Turismo 7’s April Update​

After last week’s limited premature announcement, Polyphony Digital and Japan Race Promotion have confirmed that the Dallara SF23, as used in Super Formula, will be coming to Gran Turismo 7 in an update later this month. Thanks to the accidental early release we already knew the broad strokes of the announcement, with PD and JRP revealing a further partnership between the two brands which already saw the 2019 car added to Gran Turismo Sport.

The SF23 is a development of that car, but there are some significant changes that mainly center on sustainability and some enhancements that should promote closer racing.

Restyled bodywork reduces the overall downforce slightly, in turn reducing “dirty air” to allow the cars to follow one another more closely. That should create more overtaking opportunities, especially given the formula’s “Overtake” boost feature that increases engine power for a limited time, with a limited amount of use. The body itself, produced by BComp, is now a flax-based composite rather than fully carbon-fiber. This will allow for greater reusability of components, with more recycling and less landfill. In fact the spec Yokohama tires also use recycled rubber, and there’s a new carbon-neutral fuel being developed for the series as it pursues its “Next50” environmental targets.

Once again there’s two specifications of the car, with Honda- and Toyota-engined machines (in the “hakutora” (White Tiger) and “akatora” (Red Tiger) liveries respectively) both heading to the game.
That’s just the start of the planned partnership though, with a livery editor competition confirmed for the cars once they’ve arrived allowing players to create designs based on each official SF team’s colors.
JRP comments that the partnership’s aim is to “introduce Super Formula to players around the globe”, and that could see more of the championship’s official circuits being added to the game, though this hasn’t been specifically referenced at this time.

At present, three of the five circuits on the 2023 calendar are already included in Gran Turismo 7, with only Motegi (which was a part of Gran Turismo previously) and Sugo absent.

While no specific date has been confirmed for the update that will add the SF23 cars, the Super Formula press release indicates that it will be “at the end of April”, suggesting a date around Thursday April 27 if PD follows its pattern thus far for Gran Turismo 7 content updates.

Con-Z-epT

You have to view a previous one. It only alerts once, and once you view the thread, it resets the alert. If you ignore an older alert and have not viewed the thread, you won't get them until you view the thread and get caught up, I believe.
Beat me to it!

Weird. I'm not getting alerts for this thread anymore.
With this post everything should be fine again since it resets the alert. Otherwise click "unwatch" and then "watch" again in the top right of the thread.

Last edited:

omegasc

Thoughts on update: overall, you have to be more careful with acceleration (on DualSense), and all cars I tested have more understeer (ABS default).
yes, the original mode is so crisp I don't wanna use even the better 120fps mode. GT7 IQ is one of the best in consoles
yeah I've been switching but I think 60 VRR is enough. Maybe they should unlock the framerate when VRR is engaged at 60hz mode.

Thoughts on update: overall, you have to be more careful with acceleration (on DualSense), and all cars I tested have more understeer (ABS default).

yeah I've been switching but I think 60 VRR is enough. Maybe they should unlock the framerate when VRR is engaged at 60hz mode.
this option is there already, but the res ever so slightly changes. check it out!

set your mode to Resolution/Raytracing and turn on 120hz

omegasc

this option is there already, but the res ever so slightly changes. check it out!

set your mode to Resolution/Raytracing and turn on 120hz
Oh yes, I did check that option, but I meant at the same resolution of the 60hz mode, because I can notice the little difference.
I just watched a video where the guy says the input lag is basically gone in 120hz mode. I've been playing on a controller but will soon be able to mount my cockpit again... that is a big pro for 120hz.
Also, I want PS VR2 so badly for this :messenger_grinning_sweat: just need the right price at the right time!

Oh yes, I did check that option, but I meant at the same resolution of the 60hz mode, because I can notice the little difference.
I just watched a video where the guy says the input lag is basically gone in 120hz mode. I've been playing on a controller but will soon be able to mount my cockpit again... that is a big pro for 120hz.
Also, I want PS VR2 so badly for this :messenger_grinning_sweat: just need the right price at the right time!
yeah, the small difference is crucial. GT so clean at native 4k.

Con-Z-epT

I went back and golded all the licence tests again (with some exceptions in the S licence) and also did some of the circuit experiences again. Quite some drastic changes not only in the physics and how these play out but also in the requirements for gold. I was quite proud of some of these times only to find out that they aren't even gold worthy anymore although they were far beyond what was required initially. Of course some of these times where miscalculated a bit and for some it's also easier to be faster through the change in physics. But still.

Most extreme example in reverse would be IA-5 test with the Nissan R92CP on the final sector in Le Mans. I did a 1.27.100 before the reset and this would be half a second faster than the world leader. Just shows how much the down force was altered.

It was a lot of fun to go through these again.

In addition i had a lot of luck with invitations through tickets lately and also got the Ferrari GTO 250 as my last remaining car from Hagerty's. Only miss a single car now. Wish me luck for my last invitation.

omegasc

played some Sport Mode Daily B this weekend and got surprised by my own pace with the controller once again. Lots of fun! Great combo, the GR4 with the new Nurburgring layout. The changes they made to FFB were really good, triggers pass more info, especially when you get too eager on corner exit with the throttle, and even weight transfer. Seems easier to catch slides as well, so you lose a tiny bit less time.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
played some Sport Mode Daily B this weekend and got surprised by my own pace with the controller once again. Lots of fun! Great combo, the GR4 with the new Nurburgring layout. The changes they made to FFB were really good, triggers pass more info, especially when you get too eager on corner exit with the throttle, and even weight transfer. Seems easier to catch slides as well, so you lose a tiny bit less time.

I can't fathom using the resistance triggers. Off all the way. Its was a nice race B though. This weeks Race C is nice but I'm way of pace.

sncvsrtoip

I went back and golded all the licence tests again (with some exceptions in the S licence) and also did some of the circuit experiences again. Quite some drastic changes not only in the physics and how these play out but also in the requirements for gold. I was quite proud of some of these times only to find out that they aren't even gold worthy anymore although they were far beyond what was required initially. Of course some of these times where miscalculated a bit and for some it's also easier to be faster through the change in physics. But still.

Most extreme example in reverse would be IA-5 test with the Nissan R92CP on the final sector in Le Mans. I did a 1.27.100 before the reset and this would be half a second faster than the world leader. Just shows how much the down force was altered.

It was a lot of fun to go through these again.

In addition i had a lot of luck with invitations through tickets lately and also got the Ferrari GTO 250 as my last remaining car from Hagerty's. Only miss a single car now. Wish me luck for my last invitation.
Yeah I tired Nordschleife and now ce is proper challenge on new physics, for now golded all sectors but to drive clean whole lap will be very difficult for me.

Last edited:

omegasc

What are your current times? I think a 1:30 is reasonable.
just did some laps in Time Trial and got 1:41.1xx. Silver time so far. Tricky car/track due to some precise corner cutting in the 1st sector. You have to get your car right in the middle of the sausages or you'll take off. Some blind corners as well as the 3 or 4 legged one, takes very precise timing with the throttle or you lose speed into the 2 main straights. Hope to improve in the weekend!

Con-Z-epT

just did some laps in Time Trial and got 1:41.1xx. Silver time so far. Tricky car/track due to some precise corner cutting in the 1st sector. You have to get your car right in the middle of the sausages or you'll take off. Some blind corners as well as the 3 or 4 legged one, takes very precise timing with the throttle or you lose speed into the 2 main straights. Hope to improve in the weekend!

I did around 10 laps and was able to drive a 1:41:5XX. This was without cutting the sausage curbs and doing the chicane in a more regular way. In two laps i was able to cut these as you described without the car flying of track but i was given a penalty for the track limit violation. Not a lot of room for error.

It feels like gold is tied to nailing this chicane. So hard to get it done consistently. I guess you are doing this with the controller again?

Did you used the weird double up shift for the two longer straights?

omegasc

I did around 10 laps and was able to drive a 1:41:5XX. This was without cutting the sausage curbs and doing the chicane in a more regular way. In two laps i was able to cut these as you described without the car flying of track but i was given a penalty for the track limit violation. Not a lot of room for error.

It feels like gold is tied to nailing this chicane. So hard to get it done consistently. I guess you are doing this with the controller again?

Did you used the weird double up shift for the two longer straights?
I was able to go into 40.4 before going to bed. Cutting the first leg of the chicane isn't as important as the second, but yeah, unfortunately it seems corner cutting is the only way.
I did experiment with the double shift 4 to 6 but sometimes I just mess it up. I short shift all gears... not really sure if I do it right but it feels like the speed goes up faster after I do lol

Top Bottom