• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I'm ready to take the dive. It's unfortunate this title is being sent out to the pasture without an appropriate price range for an obviously low-budget release, but it's the King of the freakin' Monsters, man! I'm just deeply thankful we're getting a physical release on next-gen! Gonna grab the video game and the GameStop poster ASAP.

tumblr_mg32bo5C2I1rlzgq1o2_500.gif

I was debating on whether or not to import the game, due to the fact that there will likely be some mediocre English voice work in the US version, and almost certainly either no manual or a four page black and white crappy one (Japanese version on PS3 had a nice color manual). But I figure them bringing a physical copy must be supported, so I'll go with the localized version.

Oh, and updated my avatar to support this awesome release!

Hahhahaha. Sorry man, I can't stand him, genuinely like Gabara more. Only thing I like about the kaiju is the hilarious roar.

lol Gabara. I will admit that as a kid I found him disturbing, I think because he has crazy eyes. Titanosaurus always seemed endearing to me. His goofy roar and that fact that he wasn't really bad, only forced into it by the aliens being the main reasons.

sucks there are no plans for post luanch dlc. dlc maps would have been nice
Being an advocate toward "complete" physical releases, I'm a little glad we're unlikely to receive any post-release content. There admittedly isn't too much of a reason in this particular case since the localized PS4 version is an expansion upon the vanilla Japanese title from last year. All the character models were based upon the S.H.MonsterArts figures and this next-gen variant pretty much covers everything they made available.

I was debating on whether or not to import the game, due to the fact that there will likely be some mediocre English voice work in the US version, and almost certainly either no manual or a four page black and white crappy one (Japanese version on PS3 had a nice color manual). But I figure them bringing a physical copy must be supported, so I'll go with the localized version.
I was heavily debating an import as well, but thankfully an announcement arrived in time for the Spike Awards. I'd normally wait on budget titles, but I want to support the Godzilla franchise as much as possible in the States. I'm hoping the developers will follow through with their plans to continue the property in some fashion, especially after they hinted at the possibly of a project dedicated to the fighting genre.

This game is being released at $89.00 (AUS) for the physical version which is approx $10 more than most AAA games here is Australia. Already got my copy pre-ordered, I don't know if it comes with the bonus PS4 content but I don't really care about this or the price. These monster/destruction games have always been some of my faves.

I am a bit anxious to see how the combat works as I loved the old wrestling style of previous games so I really hope this new tank style turns out ok.

I was pretty miffed to find out about the lack of local multiplayer since battling with my two daughters was the entire reason I preordered. Spent the money on Haunting Ground at Half Price Books instead since I already have the JP PS3 version.

I'll get it eventually, just not for full price.

Sephzilla

I'm ready to take the dive. It's unfortunate this title is being sent out to the pasture without an appropriate price range for an obviously low-budget release, but it's the King of the freakin' Monsters, man! I'm just deeply thankful we're getting a physical release on next-gen! Gonna grab the video game and the GameStop poster ASAP.

tumblr_mg32bo5C2I1rlzgq1o2_500.gif

This gif just makes me want to point out that Godzilla 1985 is one of the best

Great OT, can't wait to hear impressions! I'd love to buy Day 1 but just isn't in the cards at the moment, would't have time to play it.

Edit: Just saw no local multiplayer. That's the worst, this is literally the type of game where this is a no brainer. I would be miffed if I picked this up to play with friends just to find out we couldn't.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
To bad it we will never get the US version of 1985 on streaming or dvd or on anything , hell we might not get the Japanese version

I've been eyeing the Japanese blu ray for a while. One of these days I'll pull the trigger.

Why is the US release stuck in limbo?

Heroman

Banned
I've been eyeing the Japanese blu ray for a while. One of these days I'll pull the trigger.

New World Pictures had the rights originally. When they went under they sold the home video rights to Anchor Bay. But Toho only recognizes the original deal, Toho's waiting for the rights to expire.

Drain You

Haven't touched my PS4 since launch but it looks like it's time. Gonna go to my local Gamestop on Tuesday and see if they have it.

Daingurse

To bad it we will never get the US version of 1985 on streaming or dvd or on anything , hell we might not get the Japanese version

I had to get a Hong Kong bootleg to watch 1985 on DVD. A damn shame, would pay for an official release, it's my favorite film in the series.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Preordered digitally on PS4. $60 is a lot, but I paid more than that for the two awful Dreamcast games, so this should be a treat. Glad to see a game finally differentiate properly between the two Showa Mechagodzillas.

Wag

Not really, it seems. I've read that it's more of a "kaiju simulator".

PS3 version has you just playing as Godzilla for the whole thing where the PS4 version lets you play as any of the unlocked monsters.

The first part I like, the second not so much. That being the case I think I'll pass and wait until I have a PS4.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Preordered digitally on PS4. $60 is a lot, but I paid more than that for the two awful Dreamcast games, so this should be a treat. Glad to see a game finally differentiate properly between the two Showa Mechagodzillas.

Definitely. Though, I still prefer the old school Mechagodzilla. Love his all out attack that basically looks like some sort of missile or laser is firing from every opening in his body.

Also, the head spin.

Godzilla-vs-Mechagodzilla-GIF-random-37219487-500-340.gif

DZ_b_EZ

Oh boyle. Godzilla (2014) is one of the best movies I have ever seen, if not the best. I have been waiting for this game since they announced it. Just to contain my hype I literally kept it out of my head for months, leaving me to forget all about it and the release date. But now I have to wait until payday on Friday :(

It sucks we have to wait for a whole three years for a sequel to the movie but at least there's a sequel coming. I will only be playing as Hollywood Godzilla because HE TEARS HEADS OFF MUTHAFUCKAS!!! *queue Godzilla roar*

New World Pictures had the rights originally. When they went under they sold the home video rights to Anchor Bay. But Toho only recognizes the original deal, Toho's waiting for the rights to expire.
What's pretty frustrating about the whole situation is that the legal gridlock has never been officially disclosed. We know that Anchor Bay Entertainment presumably acquired the home video rights when New World closed shop in the late 1990s. However, Toho stated the entertainment company had no claims to Godzilla 1985 when they begun preparing an official DVD released about a decade ago. There never has been a conversation over what terms that Toho still wants to acknowledge from the NWP contract. It could be anything from the film rights still falling within an agreed licensing time-frame or whether New World held the right to sell/transfer it as part of their film library. Either way, it's an absolute shame this movie never made the jump beyond VHS at the moment. There are numerous bootleg options floating around the Net and, sadly, the closest English audiences have ever gotten to an HD treatment was back in October 2007 when a "work print" version aired on television for a single night.

Teknoman

I held off on getting Destroy all Monsters Melee and Unleashed...definitely gonna grab this. Think i'll make this a physical though. Great box art.

I really REALLY hope the netcode is up to par for 3 player battles. Shouldnt have to worry about netcode at all this generation...but im sure its possible.

I'm actually buying a PS4. For this.

Well, Shenmue really...but what prompted not waiting a year is this.

I know it'll get shitty reviews, but damn it, it'll be fun. Why not.

I'm lucky enough to have gotten the rental-store exclusive New World Video VHS when my local video store went out of business a decade ago.

Sephzilla

Yeah, I hope we some day get a BluRay release of the movie. I was lucky enough to have the VHS copy as a kid and I imported a copy from Hong Kong on DVD. I want more Godzilla movies that are in the same tone as this one so badly. Godzilla is awesome when he's played as a legit scary monster.

I'm actually buying a PS4. For this.

Well, Shenmue really...but what prompted not waiting a year is this.

I know it'll get shitty reviews, but damn it, it'll be fun. Why not.

f the reviews, good or not, it's freakin king of the monsters we talkin bout here!

also on a side note, just got an email from bestbuy saying that my copy has been delayed to july 3rd, lol.

guess i need take my time machine and go back 10 days to pick it up!

f the reviews, good or not, it's freakin king of the monsters we talkin bout here!

also on a side note, just got an email from bestbuy saying that my copy has been delayed to july 3rd, lol.

guess i need take my time machine and go back 10 days to pick it up!

I get those time machine Bestbuy emails anytime I pre-order for store pickup.

Can't wait to get my copy tomorrow!

Malick[AI];171766757 said:
I get those time machine Bestbuy emails anytime I pre-order for store pickup.

Can't wait to get my copy tomorrow!

ahh good, so its just a fuckup on their part. a little bit incompetence on their part.

I had to call my local Gamestop to confirm that they would be getting in my copy of the game tomorrow. They have an automated system that texts your phone usually a day or two before a title's release but I guess they're not doing it for lower-end titles like this one.

Pejo

Gold Member
This will eventually be in my library for sure. Probably not at 60 bones though. I'm excited to hear impressions.

I had to call my local Gamestop to confirm that they would be getting in my copy of the game tomorrow. They have an automated system that texts your phone usually a day or two before a title's release but I guess they're not doing it for lower-end titles like this one.

at least they don't go back in time to tell you that its getting delayed!

i saw you get a free poster for pre-ordering from them. looks really cool

haikira

Game looks really fun, though no local play kills it a bit for me. Ah well, I'll just talk a friend into picking up a copy too.

So, quick question: I did an interview with the producer of the game at E3 last month. Would posting a link to the video in the OT be a TOS violation?

vilmer_

Amazon still hasn't sent it out which worries me greatly for delivery tomorrow.

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Amazon still hasn't sent it out which worries me greatly for delivery tomorrow.

Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.
This might be delayed best buy called me too saying they didn't receive it yet so something is going on

Disclose your affiliation and don't make treads about your stuff and it's fine to my knowledge

Thanks, done.

Just a heads up for everyone: I've updated the OT with links to the game's intro cinematic, an IGN playthrough of King of the Monsters Mode as MechaGodzilla 1974 and an interview I personally did with the game's producer at E3. You can find them underneath the trailers section.

Drain You

Was able to sneak a preorder in today at Gamestop. Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow. I'm not into fighting games but it's Godzilla so I'm sure I'll atleast enjoy it. From what I'm reading though I kind of wish it played more like Destroy All Monsters on Gamecube.

Top Bottom