• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

d5tGTKT.png

Developed by: Natsume Atari
Published by: BANDAI NAMCO Games
Platforms: Playstation 4 (retail and digital), Playstation 3 (digital only)
Players: 1-3 (multiplayer only on PS4)
Voiceover Languages: English and Japanese
Text and Subtitle Options: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
Marketed Resolution/Framerate: 1080p, 60 frames per second (PS4)
MSRP: $39.99 (PS3), $59.99 (PS4 retail and digital)
Post-release DLC: None planned as of E3 2015.
System Version Differences: Higher framerate, larger environments, online multiplayer, more monsters on PS4 version.
ESRB/PEGI/CERO/OFLC Ratings: T/12/B/PG
Release Dates: 7/14/2015 (North America), 7/17/2015 (Europe)

x9ah1dm.png

Sixty years ago, Godzilla first appeared to threaten the world. In the decades that followed, scientists studied the monster hoping to unlock its secrets as the beast faded from memory. The result: G-Energy, a seemingly endless source of power that could be used to better the lives of everyone. This breakthrough has come at a cost however: thanks to its widespread use, G-Energy reactors have awaken this revolutionary technology’s namesake. Godzilla, alongside other kaiju, have descended upon Japan, seeking G-energy. The choice of destroyer or defender, villain or hero, comes down to the player. Which monster will you take control of and evolve to become the undisputed King of the Monsters?

Serving as the primary focus of the game, players take on Destruction Mode as any of the twenty two monsters. Players are tasked with navigating a series of branching stages (twenty in total). Each stage puts the player in the position of navigating the environment and absorbing G-energy to grow the kaiju bigger. Kaiju start out at 50 meters tall but as they absorb G-energy, destroy their surroundings and defeat enemy monsters, they grow in size with proportionate strength and abilities. The goal is to achieve a maximum 100 meter height before the end of the game and complete as many objectives as possible. Doing so unlocks the game’s true ending and a final boss fight with a particularly Legendary enemy…

Throughout the course of Destruction Mode, the player’s continued decimation of the environment will cause their Disaster Level to rise. Once the meter is completely full, an enemy boss is introduced into the fray, whether it’s a G-Force weapon like a Super X or perhaps a kaiju like King Ghidorah. On certain stages, enemy kaiju may appear in quick succession regardless of your current Disaster Level rating which can quickly become a three-way foray. Some levels come with a time limit that encourage the player to take out their enemies as fast as possible lest they run out of time in the stage and fail the mission.

Players have the choice of taking on one of two different types of monsters: destructive or protective kaiju. Destructive monsters progress through the game taking on all of the tasks described above. Protective kaiju, however, are tasked with the opposite goal: defending the stage from invading enemy monsters. Players must minimize damage to the environment, prevent the enemy from destroying the G-energy reactors and defeat the enemy monster.

82FIUZ1.png

King of Kaiju Mode - Apart from Destruction Mode, King of the Monsters is the only other offline combat-focused mode in the game. Players engage in a boss rush scenario through a series of six stages, each one featuring a different enemy kaiju. As the player goes through each stage, the succeeding monsters become tougher and tougher with the most powerful kaiju to be found in the final two stages. Defeat each enemy boss as fast as you can to win!

Diorama Mode – As players progress through the game, they unlock various models of kaiju, environments and more. Players can use these unlocks in this photo mode allowing you to create scenes and share them with friends by taking pictures. Want to recreate the King Ghidorah death scene in Destroy All Monsters? How about the moment Godzilla Vs. The Thing in which the larval Mothra bit and latched onto Godzilla? You can do that! Pre-orders also include various film filters you can use to make that classic moment that much more authentic-looking.

Monster Field Guide – One of the primary unlockables of the game, the Monster Field Guide contains biographies, pictures and more information about the various monsters that appear in the game. These are unlocked through progress in Destruction Mode and King of the Monsters Mode.

Multiplayer - Exclusive to the Playstation 4 version of the game, the player can engage in up to three-way battles online against other players armed with the monster of their choice. Online leaderboards are included. Playstation Plus is required for online multiplayer. There is no local split-screen multiplayer mode.

mG6j3qu.png

As the player progresses through Destruction Mode, players will naturally complete objectives and defeat monsters in their path. In doing so, players can earn Evolution Points that can be spent to unlock new monsters as well as new abilities and upgrade existing move sets for those monsters. Each of the twenty two monsters in the game have their own skill trees. Godzilla, for example, can unlock enhancements to atomic breath or special moves such as Minilla’s smoke rings from Son of Godzilla. Evolved monsters can be used in all three primary modes of play so upgrading your monsters is highly encouraged.

Remember these?

Xhvuhtv.gif
giphy.gif

You can unlock them!

VCxywxM.png

pawEF5o.png

XD8JLve.png

Toho kaiju creations are depicted as large, lumbering and nigh-unstoppable beasts that will smash everything in their path. Developers over the past several decades have been back and forth on how to make these creatures feel when put in the hands of a player. Despite the success the Pipeworks Software series of Godzilla games from 2002-2007, Natsume Atari has chosen to move away from the wrestling-esque gameplay to something more akin to the films: slow, hulking monsters punctuated by short combos and powerful, stun-inducing attacks. The controls take some time to get used to as they feel a tad similar to the tank controls of fixed-perspective, classic PS1 titles but are quite representative of what you imagine these monsters would move like.

Combat in Godzilla can vary depending on the mode you are playing. In Destruction Mode and King of the Monsters Mode, players have a regenerating health system that turns the screen progressively orange as you approach defeat. Not sustaining damage for a short period of time will allow you to build back up your health. Though it cannot be confirmed at this time as the game has not launched, the online multiplayer looks to consist of non-regenerating health with life bars. Monster energy blasts consumes segments of a Temperature Gauge (which refills over time) with more powerful blasts draining all of it.

Monsters throughout Destruction Mode will vary in their strength and defensive capabilities based on their class size. In a manner similar to a wrestling or boxing game, kaiju can appear ranging from 50-100 meters in height with increased height indicating how tough they are. Fights between two kaiju that are within 10 meters of one another are fairly matched but 20+ meter differences can be extremely tough. Beware the risk of raising the Disaster Level of the stage if you have not grown your monster enough.

Controls:
Left Analog Stick/D-Pad ↕ - Move forward/back.
Left Analog Stick/D-Pad ↔ - Strafe left/right.
Right Analog Stick – Move camera.
L1/R1 – Turn left/right.
Square – Basic attack.
Triangle – Strong attack.
Circle – Energy attack. Drains a section of temperature gauge.
X – Charge attack.
R2 – Secondary energy attack.
R3 – Enable cinematic camera placement that collect's data about the monster (when monster is placed correctly and prompted).

Combos:
Square, Square, Square – Basic three hit combo.
Square (Hold) + LAS/D-Pad ↔ - 90 degree quick turn.
Square (Hold) + LAS/D-Pad ↓ - Rear attack.
R2 + Square (Hold) – Kick attack.
Circle (Light Tap) – Quick energy blast.
Circle (Hold) – Longer, sweeping energy blast.
Circle, Square – Light grapple combo.
Circle, Circle – Moderate grapple combo.
Circle, Triangle – Grapple with energy blast attack.
X, Square – Press square at the end of a charge attack to do extra damage.
L1 + R1 – Roar which buffs character and opens up special attacks.

uImbHFo.png

Opening Cinematic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6qXebD-2I

IGN King of the Monsters Playthrough as MechaGodzilla 1974: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrU2x751ZII

IGN First 20 Minutes of Destruction Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du3nMdXXo2I

Super Best Friends Play Godzilla The Game (PS4): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx28qW2amSM

E3 2015 Interview I did with Shunsuke Fujita, the game's producer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_oHqxm89Oc
(Full disclosure: I am not affiliated with Natsume Atari, Bandai Namco or the ESA. I got the opportunity at E3 to interview Mr. Fujita and was not paid for or professionally endorsed by doing so. This is being posted with the purpose of providing the most information possible to the reader. If a mod has a problem with it I will quickly remove it.)

Qkwuvjk.png

TYRi97B.png

IGN: 4.5/10
IGN said:
Apart from it’s massive roster of Kaiju and an encyclopedia of monsters, Godzilla's poor graphics, uncomfortable controls, and overly repetitive missions make this one of the worst renditions of the King of the Kaiju since he fought Matthew Broderick in Madison Square Garden back in ‘97.

Destructoid: 4/10
Destructoid said:
This was supposed to be the game for Godzilla fans -- an authentic adaptation that captured the look and feel of the films. In some ways, it is. There's a satisfying cast of playable characters including Mothra, Destroyah, and Jet Jaguar (he can even shrink!). The camera is staged to give the kaiju a worthy sense of scale. Buildings and tanks are toppled as if they're mere props.

These are high points of the game. Some people have expressed concern over the graphics -- we're talking PlayStation 2 visuals, at times -- but I was okay with that going in. Actually, I still am. It turns out Godzilla has far bigger issues.

Hardcore Gamer: 2/5
Hardcore Gamer said:
Bandai Namco’s stab at the icon is mostly a rehash of a terrible Dreamcast game that does little to distinguish itself to fans. It’s clear that the developer’s hearts were in the right place; as much content as possible was clearly eked out of the likely meager budget and mindlessly destroying things is fun enough to not feel like a chore. Faint praise, however, as while this could have become a so-bad-it’s-good Earth Defense Force type experience, it’s instead held back by clunky controls, dated visuals, confined level design and a lack of gameplay variety. There’s some fun to be had here, but this use of “some” is coming dangerously close to meaning minutes instead of hours.
The Jimquisition: 3/10
The Jimquisition said:
Due to poor funding or a bankruptcy of talent, GODZILLA is an sad excuse for a game desperately attempting to be a worthy adaptation of the beloved monster series. Cheap, bumbling, and interminably boring, it’s a bargain basement budget release with the unbelievable gall to present itself as a major “AAA” release.

Game Informer: 3/10
Game Informer said:
I grew bored with Godzilla after a few minutes. It’s a towering abomination of a licensed property and a sad excuse for a game. I enjoyed the novelty and cheesiness, but none of the gameplay held my attention.

Metro: 2/10
Metro said:
Godzilla is clearly a low budget affair, but it also gives every impression of being rushed and badly thought out. Considering Bandai Namco has completely missed their chance of tying into last year’s movie it’s hard to understand what the rush was, or why anyone thought such a ramshackle mess of a game could possible do justice to the king of the monsters.

...I think you guys get the idea. Non-Godzilla enthusiasts need not apply.

Godzilla_gif_raw_4.gif

(Disclaimer: This Neogaf Official Thread is subject to change. Content listed in the OT is provided based on the limited available preview coverage and news that has been released since January 2015 as well as personal playthrough of the original PS3 Japan-only release and the E3 2015 preview build. The information listed may not accurately reflect all aspects of the game. If I have made a mistake or there is information that is worth including, please PM me and I will gladly make the appropriate corrections or additions. All supplied videos and screenshots are taken from the publisher’s YouTube channel and press site. Please forgive me for any errors that you may read or see: this is both my first thread and my first OT and I want it to turn out well.)

Mugatu

I can't believe this has never been done before.

EDIT: Oops, my bad - no idea how I got through life as a gamer never knowing that Godzilla games have existed.

Rymuth

Ach, I was working on an OT but this is much better than what I was cooking up.

Still would have gone with "I'M NUUUCLEAAAR!" for a thread title.

Ach, I was working on an OT but this is much better than what I was cooking up.

Still would have gone with "I'M NUUUCLEAAAR!" for a thread title.

You should have PMed me! If there's anything missing that I should add, please let me know!

Also, I completely blanked on the MGS5 reference, my bad. :(

Audette

I can't wait to see pictures of Desugoji. unfortunately I can't buy this at launch (lost my job) but I will be keeping a close eye on it, I need to procure a physical copy.

Eolz

Wait, there's no japanese voices?
Really interested in preordering it digitally for the theme, but apparently this offer isn't available in EU... :/
will still buy it whenever I get a PS4 again
Nice OT!

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Huh? There's been tons of this type of Godzilla games.

Not really. Not with this type of freedom. There have been multiplayer brawlers, top down RTS, weird sim/resource management hybrids, platformers... nothing like this which looks like the movies.

Not really. Not with this type of freedom. There have been multiplayer brawlers, top down RTS, weird sim/resource management hybrids, platformers... nothing like this which looks like the movies.

The closest to this game's design is Godzilla Generations for the Dreamcast which was about destroying a city in a sandbox level you could walk around in. Unfortunately that's about all there was to the game and the fixed camera angle made it quite hard to 100% a level. I think Natsume Atari got it right with this game.

Snaku

Banned
Super excited for this game. I worked all summer and bought a Dreamcast at launch with my own money so I could play Godzilla Generations. I know it gets shit on by most people, but I have nothing but love for that game. This looks like a spiritual successor to that game, and I can't wait to smash some cities. Pre-ordered with the $15 credit for spending $100 on PSN last month. I think $45 is a fair price for what this game seems to offer.

MegalonJJ

Banned
hahaha did you play the Atari games that came Before? Jet Jaguar was a awesome in those.
(as awesome as anything gets in those games, they felt a little cheap to me.)

I did indeed! Although, generally speaking, the games weren't so good but Jet Jaguar made it awesome ;D

MrCuddle

This looks incredibly cheesy, but I'll probably by it once I get my thumb out and buy myself a PS4.

Big up on the Blue Öyster Cult reference!

I am so excited for this game. Usually these games stay in Japan so vote with your dollars! Can't wait for some online battles. XD

Is this true? Did the Japanese PS3 version have English or Japanese voices?

The original Japanese release only had Japanese voices. I don't think (or at least Natsume Atari and Bandai Namco haven't confirmed) that the Japanese voiceovers will be included. It would be nice... though if they were going to do it, I would absolutely beg them to include Megumi Odaka, Sayaka Osawa, Masahiro Takashima or Akira Nakao in it. We lost Hiroshi Koizumi recently which is a shame but having any of the original actors, Heisei or otherwise, would have still been awesome.

Audette

Mechanical_Kong.jpg

fucking universal man

oh I hear you, that would be epic to include!

I hope they do have some dlc planned. Some more alts would be cool like Classic Gigan and GMK mothra/Ghidorah. We also have missing some of the Missing monsters like Megalon, Caesar, Ebirah, Baragon, Mogera, Megagurius and Mamagon ;) the monster of strict mothers. finally, more Godzilla styles.

I hope this game sells well.

zeopower6

The original Japanese release only had Japanese voices. I don't think (or at least Natsume Atari and Bandai Namco haven't confirmed) that the Japanese voiceovers will be included. It would be nice... though if they were going to do it, I would absolutely beg them to include Megumi Odaka, Sayaka Osawa, Masahiro Takashima or Akira Nakao in it. We lost Hiroshi Koizumi recently which is a shame but having any of the original actors, Heisei or otherwise, would have still been awesome.

Watching this demo from SDCC, it sounds like the voices are in English. (but there is so much background noise you can barely hear anything T_T) Always have the possibility of being able to swap until confirmed though.

Great OT worthy of the G-man. I'm really thinking about caving in and preordering it. As long as the game play is passable I'm all in for some Godzuki and friends. Also Hollywood Godzilla looks great.

So, is this going to be so shit it's going to be awesome? I have no idea why I should spend any money on this after I watched the videos.

Any GAF impressions?

EDIT: Oh, awesome work on the OT!

Watching this demo from SDCC, it sounds like the voices are in English. (but there is so much background noise you can barely hear anything T_T) Always have the possibility of being able to swap until confirmed though.

The E3 2015 build had English voices, though I didn't think to check and see if there were any Japanese options in the menu. It was the 5th game in a row that I tried in the BN room so I had to keep chugging along.

D-Man

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this or not but I'm curious. Is the original Godzilla theme anywhere to be found in the game? Or is there some legal issues that prevents it from making an appearance?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this or not but I'm curious. Is the original Godzilla theme anywhere to be found in the game? Or is there some legal issues that prevents it from making an appearance?

I watched videos of the PS3 version and it was there.

I believe it is indeed in there, though I cannot speak to the extent any of the original film scores are utilized. I don't recall hearing any Heisei scores in there, though I want to believe I remember hearing the original 1974 MechaGodzilla theme somewhere...

The rest of the soundtrack seems originally produced by the developer. It's not bad but it's definitely not like any of the films.

Can't wait for this game. Though I wish we'd get another Pipeworks brawler (Pipeworks did the mobile Godzilla Smash game so they apparently can still get the rights) this does look really fun.

Top Bottom