• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Endgame

Final Fantasy Mode. This increases the game's difficulty, changes monster placement, and remixes which enemies might appear in combat.

Every open area/open world game would benefit from modes like this. Elden Ring Randomizer completely refreshed that game for me.

the-enemy-item-randomizer-has-me-regretting-it-now-and-then-v0-ikjevgs2nla91.jpg

could-be-worse-v0-wv4r2c8na0z81.png

vmrwm8kgtxx91.jpg

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Every open area/open world game would benefit from modes like this. Elden Ring Randomizer completely refreshed that game for me.
I think a game like Elden Ring could benefit from something like a boss rush mode. FFXVI seems to have stages rather than areas/dungeons, while really lends itself well to an arcade mode.

Kaim0

Neo Member
Here is idea, maybe wait and play the game before judging if its RPG or not.

Those who played it are saying it. A couple of the previews is that based on what they got to play, the game lacks a lot of RPG elements, even compared to other action RPG's.

Apart from your general level, weapons and a few accessories, the only customising you can do is buy and upgrade movies, which is not any more than a character action game provides you, and I don't think anyone would say DMC is a RPG. The issue gets even worse when (from what I've seen) there is no elemental weakness for you or enemies, nor is there status effects it seems.

But we can agree to disagree, I suppose.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Those who played it are saying it. A couple of the previews is that based on what they got to play, the game lacks a lot of RPG elements, even compared to other action RPG's.

Apart from your general level, weapons and a few accessories, the only customising you can do is buy and upgrade movies, which is not any more than a character action game provides you, and I don't think anyone would say DMC is a RPG. The issue gets even worse when (from what I've seen) there is no elemental weakness for you or enemies, nor is there status effects it seems.

But we can agree to disagree, I suppose.
Like I mentioned in my previous post, the most defining characteristics of an RPG are stats and quests, everything else is additional depth to the game design. Every interview I've read about FFXVI is really focused on the action because that's the design approach the devs took with this game. It is still an RPG, just because it lacks certain elements found in other RPGs does not make it any less one. The genre is really broad and that is why there are so many sub-genres. This is not a character action game, it's an action RPG. It's really that simple, dude.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Control and FFXVI are both RPGs. The genre RPG is very broad. Dunno why we are arguing about this.
At it's core Control is a 3rd person shooter and is an Action/Adventure game exploring the Oldest House which is a supernatural Skyscraper building and focuses on the role of Jessie. You get AP to increase stats, damage and unlock abilities and new weapons. Plays more like a Metroid/Castlevania hybrid.

FFXVI at a glance seems to be a 3rd person action game or character spectacle fighter(which given how the game is more about the boss fights that's a given). Very close in line with DMC/Bayonetta and Asura's Wrath with the Kaiju Godzilla esque fights. The game is a story driven narrative that puts you in the role of Clive Rosfield.

You guys really need to knock it off with the "if it doesn't have a leveling system or you fight with menus it isn't a RPG hurr durr" crap.

There are some Archaic RPG elements in both but they essentially boil down to ARPGS where in one you shoot stuff with gun and the other one you hit stuff with pointed sticks and magic powers.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sounds good. Looking forward to playing through the stages again in my final fantasy action game!

Actually decided to pick this up day one, or my ps5 would be gathering dust until spiderman 2.

As long as ita pretty much a locked 60fps I'm there day one.

Kaim0

Neo Member
Like I mentioned in my previous post, the most defining characteristics of an RPG are stats and quests, everything else is additional depth to the game design. Every interview I've read about FFXVI is really focused on the action because that's the design approach the devs took with this game. It is still an RPG, just because it lacks certain elements found in other RPGs does not make it any less one. The genre is really broad and that is why there are so many sub-genres. This is not a character action game, it's an action RPG. It's really that simple, dude.

It doesn't seem so simple to those who have been playing it.

Also, while browsing the main menu, I noticed that the RPG side is quite absent, unlike the other episodes. Indeed, there are few main statistics (PV, Attack, Defense, Destabilization; there are secondary statistics which influence the main statistics), there is no weakness or elementary advantage, the evolution system looks like a simplified Cristarium and the equipment remains classic: a weapon, a belt, a bracelet, three accessories. It is in these three slots that you can equip yourself with combat aid rings: reprieve, escape, pugnacity and preservation.

Final Fantasy XVI is the most action-focused entry in the main series yet. In fact, you might want to think of it as an action game with RPG elements. Yes, you can level up and customize your character with new abilities and equipment, but combat is all about melee combos, dodging, parrying and shooting out ranged magic attacks.

On the other hand, where the doubt remains even after such a generous game session, it is on the sides and the RPG mechanics. There are many level ups that increase statistics, skill points to assign on a sphere, but in the current state it is difficult to really gauge their impact. A blacksmith will come to improve the equipment thanks to the materials collected and that's about all that we were given to see. The traditional RPG part seems to be there and it will obviously not be necessary to rely on side quests to enrich the experience. In four hours, we discovered three. No scripting, no interesting objective. You're simply being asked to bring items to characters that are literally a yard or two away from the quest giver. Serving meals to customers of a tavern, going to ask the guy opposite for wood or delivering food for Chocobo to the breeder who is at the end of the small slope just opposite… we were faced with quests as tasteless as useless. It's hard to say at this stage if they are representative of the rest of the game, but then we would understand why Square Enix is so cautious about communicating on this point. And those are our biggest worries.

I say again, I would adjust expectations on those RPG elements. Just like in the Quests. I think the game is going to put all the meat on the grill in its story and its action elements. And in that sense, it's going to be a great thing.

near

Gold Member
I say again, I would adjust expectations on those RPG elements. Just like in the Quests. I think the game is going to put all the meat on the grill in its story and its action elements. And in that sense, it's going to be a great thing.
That is what I'm looking forward to most. You don't hire Ryota Suzuki as a combat designer and place little emphasis in action mechanics.

I think a game like Elden Ring could benefit from something like a boss rush mode. FFXVI seems to have stages rather than areas/dungeons, while really lends itself well to an arcade mode.
Agreed, and also I just wanted to add that the ER Randomizer wasn't just for bosses, it was for regular enemies and items too. Truly a game changer(no pun intended) and I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the game and has it on PC, and if they want that sense of danger and new experiences again.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's just a similar design approach like Yoshida did with XIV. It's more focused on Action and knowing the mechanics of each encounter. There isn't going to be a whole lot of focus if any on Elemental weaknesses and the typical old style RPG formula. Especially evident if the stat system is another copy and paste of Main Stat and Secondary stat that boosts Main stat to the point if you removed that nonsense you really only have increases to Main Stat.

Chukhopops

I mean there are WRPGs like Mass Effect and even Fallout that have gunplay so, I mean by your logic most WRPG are not really RPGs?

None of you played FFVIIR? The game had also lot of super bosses but only available on hard mode.

How do know FFXVI wont have same thing?
I dropped FF7R instantly after finishing the story so I can’t judge the postgame.

But the way the endgame of FFXVI is described doesn’t seem to imply there’s any new content, only remixed encounters - and the article also states there’s no reward for it 🤷‍♂️.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dropped FF7R instantly after finishing the story so I can’t judge the postgame.

But the way the endgame of FFXVI is described doesn’t seem to imply there’s any new content, only remixed encounters - and the article also states there’s no reward for it 🤷‍♂️.
Not Just FF, majority of JRPG and even most recent one had superbosses, heck Xenoblade 3 Future Redeemed DLC had superbosses and so did FFVIIR Yuffie DLC.

I'm pretty sure FFXVI will have one as well.

saintjules

Was just hearing about the differences in enemies in these modes. Hopefully I can replay the game without feeling too bored by the time I finish. I perhaps feel like I'd have to go into a new game plus after a month or two break after finishing.

Top Bottom