• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

Ridley327

I know the lineup is largely based on the SH MonsterArts figures that are currently available, but I'm still salty that Megalon, Ebirah and King Caesar aren't in the game.

D-Man

I watched videos of the PS3 version and it was there.

I believe it is indeed in there, though I cannot speak to the extent any of the original film scores are utilized. I don't recall hearing any Heisei scores in there, though I want to believe I remember hearing the original 1974 MechaGodzilla theme somewhere...

The rest of the soundtrack seems originally produced by the developer. It's not bad but it's definitely not like any of the films.

Alright, thanks guys. That's all I wanted to know. I remember that despite liking the 2014 movie, I was disappointed that the original theme was nowhere to be found. It's too important to me.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I know the lineup is largely based on the SH MonsterArts figures that are currently available, but I'm still salty that Megalon, Ebirah and King Caesar aren't in the game.

And my personal fav, Titanosaurus.

tumblr_mlh2cdeq7b1s48ed7o2_250.gif

I've never played a Godzilla game in my life, but I'm really tempted to buy this just for the s***s and giggles.

That's probably for the best. Most of them are not good.

drotahorror

I think this looks sick, but never played a Godzilla game (not that that has any bearing on this one as it seems different). Probably wait for impressions.

On the flip side, I do think its awesome they have Heisei era totally covered.

Megalon is the one glaring omission if only because Jet Jaguar and Gigan made it.

On the flip side, I do think its awesome they have Heisei era totally covered.

Megalon is the one glaring omission if only because Jet Jaguar and Gigan made it.

They're missing a lot of characters though. Moguera, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Varan, Manda, Titanosaurus, Minilla, Godzilla Jr., Baragon, Megalon, Ebirah...

If the game does well enough, I can picture most of these being either DLC or in a sequel.

Like I've said on this board before - I can't wait! I imported the game last year for PS3 and excited to play the PS4 version Tuesday!

This thread makes me giddy. I think I want this game. My inner child wants to relive Godzilla memories.

60 dollar for ps4 tho.... Hmmm, well 48 with GCU.... Hmmm

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (GameCube/Xbox) and Godzilla: Save the Earth (PlayStation 2/Xbox) are both excellent brawlers. This isn't nostalgia, I still play them regularly.

They are fun, but they aren't good Godzilla games. They don't capture the spirit of the movies. They were made by an American dev team and had weird character models, such as a Godzilla with oddly long arms. I think they did that so he could punch, uppercut, etc.

Also the monsters were way too nimble in that game.

I wish this was releasing on Xbox. Looks cheesy but still enjoyable.

Likewise, shame I don't have a PS4 this would be the perfect for the NOA gaming drought.

If this game does well though according to Gormaru Island, they plan to make a fighting Godzilla game and might even include Bagan.

They're missing a lot of characters though. Moguera, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Varan, Manda, Titanosaurus, Minilla, Godzilla Jr., Baragon, Megalon, Ebirah...

If the game does well enough, I can picture most of these being either DLC or in a sequel.
most of those are one off monsters (not counting final wars). Megalon was at least in the same movie along side Jet Jaguar and Gigan, which both made it in.

Which makes Hedorah an oddity. Why him over Megalon and Titanosaurus, I don't know

Hopefully with Godzilla 2014 popularity and the new TOHO Godzilla we will see more of Godzilla. I like serious and I like silly so I game for whatever they want to throw at me. Maybe we will have more games as well!

Hopefully with Godzilla 2014 popularity and the new TOHO Godzilla we will see more of Godzilla. I like serious and I like silly so I game for whatever they want to throw at me. Maybe we will have more games as well!

You can bet there's gonna be a marketing push in Japan for Godzilla once the Godzilla movie from Evangelion's creator comes out.

prudislav

Strange that i haven't seen any info or promo about this by Bamco
... looks amazing .. like Godzilla fans wet dream - will try it on friend's PS4 and if it hits steam later on like some other Bamco games its Day1 purchase

They are fun, but they aren't good Godzilla games. They don't capture the spirit of the movies. They were made by an American dev team and had weird character models, such as a Godzilla with oddly long arms. I think they did that so he could punch, uppercut, etc.

Also the monsters were way too nimble in that game.
I think they perfectly captured one of the funnest parts of the Godzilla films. Giant monster fights.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
As a big Godzilla fan I'm very much looking forward to this. Not expecting much but I need to own a game with all these monsters in it.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I think they perfectly captured one of the funnest parts of the Godzilla films. Giant monster fights.

But they didn't, at least not as they were depicted in the movies. The monsters are way slower and and methodical in the films. In those games it was all sprinting, flying uppercuts and the like. Again, not saying those games were bad, I had a lot of fun with them, it's just they didn't really attempt to capture the movies.

This game is looking to get waaaaaay closer to emulating those types of fights.

Wag

Is this a fighting game? I suck at those.

Also, how bad will the PS3 version be, because that's all I got right now- I'm primarily a PC gamer.

Oh god...help...I know this is going to be awful but I just can't stop myself.

It was the same with Fist of the North Star. Some stuff I just have to buy no matter how crap I know it is.

zeopower6

Also, how bad will the PS3 version be, because that's all I got right now- I'm primarily a PC gamer.

Not really, it seems. I've read that it's more of a "kaiju simulator".

PS3 version has you just playing as Godzilla for the whole thing where the PS4 version lets you play as any of the unlocked monsters.

Delio

Already preordered and ready to go. Cant wait to stomp around as the big burly beast that is Hollywood Godzilla.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It's not a fighting game. It's basically just a game where you break shit occasionally brawl with other kaiju. It doesn't seem to have much depth or finesse to it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
most of those are one off monsters (not counting final wars). Megalon was at least in the same movie along side Jet Jaguar and Gigan, which both made it in.

Which makes Hedorah an oddity. Why him over Megalon and Titanosaurus, I don't know
Because Hedorah's awesome.

I'm ready to take the dive. It's unfortunate this title is being sent out to the pasture without an appropriate price range for an obviously low-budget release, but it's the King of the freakin' Monsters, man! I'm just deeply thankful we're getting a physical release on next-gen! Gonna grab the video game and the GameStop poster ASAP.

tumblr_mg32bo5C2I1rlzgq1o2_500.gif

So, is this going to be so shit it's going to be awesome? I have no idea why I should spend any money on this after I watched the videos.

Any GAF impressions?

why yes:

Played it at Comic Con today. Took two playthroughs to beat it and once you get used to the tank-like controls, it's a great Godzilla game. You get a lot of the thing that make a great Godilla movie into one game. Playing as Godzilla rampaging and destroying a city, the military attacking and having the monsters fight each other all in one game. I love that it's not just a fighting game and destroying the city comes into play as well. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Tried it out at SDCC as well yesterday. It feels incrediblely awkward at first, but after about two minutes, everything just clicks and feels natural. The Monsters feel like Monsters. And goddamn fighting Mecha King Ghidora and Space Godzilla at the same time is awesome. I threw MKG into SG as he was charging at me. MKG absorbed the blow. No multiplayer, but the gameplay itself is fun enough. Only concern is how long does single player stay fun. It did give the feeling that it might get rather repetitive solo. But for what it's worth, it definitely pushed me to finally get the game day one.

fantastic OT btw

sucks there are no plans for post luanch dlc.

dlc maps would have been nice

Top Bottom