• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

Dragoshi1

Spent hours playing the JP demo last year, and preloaded it last night.

Spent an hour, and it's so cool stompin' around as Godzilla.

And the fanservice for all the monsters and their intros is cool as hell. Godzilla '14 even starts at 100 meters tall, and instead of growing in size, his power outputs gets higher when destroying stuff(also DAT ROAR).

I've only run into Hedorah, Gigan, Battra(both forms), and Mechagodzilla so far in the maps.

And a question; I had gotten all those research camera points on my way through the story mode, yet I didn't get anything; or do I have to do it through every route and level?

I'm playing through mission mode as King Ghidorah and I can't get the smile off my face.

Being able to play as all monsters in the mission mode is fucking great. Will give this a lot of longevity for me. Only complaint so far would be the size of some of the maps. They're too small, especially for the kaiju that can fly/glide

Stanng243

This thread is shameful. The game has a diorama mode just so people can take pictures. I'm stuck at work, and not 1 diorama picture I've seen yet.

This thread is shameful. The game has a diorama mode just so people can take pictures. I'm stuck at work, and not 1 diorama picture I've seen yet.
I'll check it out once I'm done with my current run. Seems a lot of the stuff in diorama needed to be unlocked and isn't available right away.

Thank you. I preordered so some stuff is already unlocked for when I get home i hope.
quick and dirty. Best friends forever

BE9E0ot.jpg

Kiyo

Why aren't there any reviews yet? Are people actually paying $60 for this? I'm curious... but not sure if I'm $60 worth of curious. It looks... interesting though.

Kinda disappointed the PS4 one isn't $40 as I would've bit at that price for sure.

Why aren't there any reviews yet? Are people actually paying $60 for this? I'm curious... but not sure if I'm $60 worth of curious. It looks... interesting though.

Kinda disappointed the PS4 one isn't $40 as I would've bit at that price for sure.
I'm paying $38 because of GCU and having a $10 certificate from another purchase. If I wasn't getting a discount I wouldn't be getting this on launch.

Jet Jaguar, Kiryu, Biollante...

This is a dang niche product, and I'm so in that niche, hell ya I'm buying it. I don't even need it to be all that great to love it. I mean, playable Biollante, holy crap that's awesome.

Daingurse

Jet Jaguar, Kiryu, Biollante...

This is a dang niche product, and I'm so in that niche, hell ya I'm buying it. I don't even need it to be all that great to love it. I mean, playable Biollante, holy crap that's awesome.

That's all I really needed lol. Having Mecha-KIng Ghidorah as well just pushes it over the top.

Why aren't there any reviews yet? Are people actually paying $60 for this?
I'm not sure how much enjoyment non-fans will get out of this. This isn't a 4 way brawler in the vein of Destroy All Monsters Melee, its going to have limited appeal.

That said, if you're a big fan and love the movies, this provides the best and most accurate representation of being Godzilla in game form...ever. Any reservations of the $60 price tag disappeared for me when I was fighting as King Ghidorah against Super MechaGodzilla in mission mode. I hit destruction lvl 4 (the measure of the military response) and they sent special lazer mounted jetfighters and motherfucking Super X in to kill me, all as I was mid-boss battle with MechaGodzilla. The missiles, the lasers, the explosions, the city and buildings crumbling around us amongst the chaos. It was a genuinely great moment.

As a huge G-fan, I feel like this is the game I've always wanted.

Sephzilla

I'm not sure how much enjoyment non-fans will get out of this. This isn't a 4 way brawler in the vein of Destroy All Monsters Melee, its going to have limited appeal.

That said, if you're a big fan and love the movies, this provides the best and most accurate representation of being Godzilla in game form...ever. Any reservations of the $60 price tag disappeared for me when I was fighting as King Ghidorah against Super MechaGodzilla in mission mode. I hit destruction lvl 4 (the measure of the military response) and they sent special lazer mounted jetfighters and motherfucking Super X in to kill me, all as I was mid-boss battle with MechaGodzilla. The missiles, the lasers, the explosions, the city and buildings crumbling around us amongst the chaos. It was a genuinely great moment.

MuqyO1o.gif

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
how the hell are you beating hard mode? Lol, I'm getting destroyed...

Edit: maybe I just got unlucky. I ran into a 100m monster on level 2 and took the easy way instead

Leveling up Godzilla is the key. Just making the gauge charge faster makes a world of difference against the 100m class kaiju. At some point you're going to have to make a suicide run into hard just to fight
Jet Jaguar
to get upgrade material from him.

Mecha King Ghidorah is the only monster that's actually killed me so far. Remember that roaring makes you essentially invincible (it's the closest thing to a block the game has, as far as I can tell) and impossible to push back, while R2 uses your breath meter on a "get off me" attack that does decent damage if the enemy is close and unprepared for it. It will knock down fairly often, and if you have two points in Gauge Charge, Godzilla can be almost back to full charge by the time they get up and close the distance again.

Trouble with MKG is if you get close enough it can hit you with all three of its beams point blank, which can be a one-shot kill if you've taken almost any damage at all. Even the Mechagodzillas don't have that kind of power (so far).

Yeah, I'll second this. It's much more of an evolution of Godzilla Generations on the Dreamcast than last gen's brawler games. I wish Megalon was in it, but they did it up right on this one. It feels like Godzilla to a degree that no other game has really captured.

Sephzilla

I don't really care about reviews but a lot of people will see it and just flat out hate on the game .

It's a niche game meant to appeal to Godzilla fans. It isn't going to have much outside pull anyways and the fans who are interested in it are probably going to ignore reviews.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't really care about reviews but a lot of people will see it and just flat out hate on the game .

If you're not a Godzilla fan, it's not going to make you one. If you have no love for the material you'll think it's slow, clunky, and somewhat difficult to manage, and the fighting system is fairly shallow outside of some timing tricks you can pull to create what I guess would qualify as combos. But us fans know that's intentional and vital to the feel of Godzilla and the rest of these monsters, whereas non-fans are just going to wonder why walking feels like it's underwater. There's also a tendency for reviewers to just assume a licensed game that isn't Batman or Star Wars to be garbage from the outset, so I'm sure that's not helping.

Again, I don't know if it should have been a full $60 game, but I've paid $60+ for far worse games than this. Some of them were also Godzilla games!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game is a lot more fun than I expected. If you're not a kaiju fan you won't enjoy it but it's a hell of a lot of fun if you appreciate that sort of thing.

BTW is there a way to view full size intel images? Some of mine turned out pretty cool but they're stamp sized.

Leveling up Godzilla is the key. Just making the gauge charge faster makes a world of difference against the 100m class kaiju. At some point you're going to have to make a suicide run into hard just to fight
Jet Jaguar
to get upgrade material from him.

Mecha King Ghidorah is the only monster that's actually killed me so far. Remember that roaring makes you essentially invincible (it's the closest thing to a block the game has, as far as I can tell) and impossible to push back, while R2 uses your breath meter on a "get off me" attack that does decent damage if the enemy is close and unprepared for it. It will knock down fairly often, and if you have two points in Gauge Charge, Godzilla can be almost back to full charge by the time they get up and close the distance again.

Trouble with MKG is if you get close enough it can hit you with all three of its beams point blank, which can be a one-shot kill if you've taken almost any damage at all. Even the Mechagodzillas don't have that kind of power (so far).
cool, thanks for this.

Where did you fight adult mothra? I can't get past 100m MechaGodzilla to reach hard mode path and need adult mothra cells to upgrade Godzilla

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
cool, thanks for this.

Where did you fight adult mothra? I can't get past 100m MechaGodzilla to reach hard mode path and need adult mothra cells to upgrade Godzilla

She popped up several times in the Normal path for me, and a couple times on Easy. It seems somewhat random. You can also play King of Kaiju and hope you fight her, as you do get materials from that mode, too.

RobbieNick

Playing through easy missions mode right now. Battra damn near killed me, but I survived. Are there any good defense tips?

vilmer_

Still no update on my Amazon order, I think I'll just cancel it and go digital for this one. Who knows when they will even get copies in.

SerTapTap

So, Biollante and Ghidorah and so on are playable, right? Is it just in special sections, multiplayer or what? Love the G Man but the variety of characters has me most interested here.

impressions seem pretty positive (in this thread, not reviews...) might bite with gamer's club unlocked.

I do think this could have used a budget release, but who knows. Maybe they just wanted the hardcore godzilla fans to pick up a copy and don't think a lower price would result in more sales (Personally I'd have already preordered at anything under $50 as soon as I saw Biollante)

So, Biollante and Ghidorah and so on are playable, right? Is it just in special sections, multiplayer or what? Love the G Man but the variety of characters has me most interested here.

impressions seem pretty positive (in this thread, not reviews...) might bite with gamer's club unlocked.

I do think this could have used a budget release, but who knows. Maybe they just wanted the hardcore godzilla fans to pick up a copy and don't think a lower price would result in more sales (Personally I'd have already preordered at anything under $50 as soon as I saw Biollante)

Yeah, all the modes are playable as any of the kaiju but you do have to unlock them first by fighting them and then spending materials you get from them.

Anyone know which stage Jet Jaguar shows up in? I chose the hard route whenever possible first time but didn't see him. Or are the monster encounters random?

Fitzy

Did anyone else preorder the game through Amazon? Did you get a code for the Godzilla 2014 character? My friend used my prime account to preorder the game and get Godzilla 2104 but he never got a code, so did Amazon mess up and not send it or did they ever offer that?

Anyone know which stage Jet Jaguar shows up in? I chose the hard route whenever possible first time but didn't see him. Or are the monster encounters random?
yeah it feels random. I've been having problems finding specific monsters. I'd recommend trying different kaiju; I didn't run into Space Godzilla until I ran Defend mode with Mecha-King Ghidorah, for example
Playing through easy missions mode right now. Battra damn near killed me, but I survived. Are there any good defense tips?
R2 will a full energy gauge grants brief invincibility. R1 + L1 can prevent you from getting staggered

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Spent hours playing the JP demo last year, and preloaded it last night.

Spent an hour, and it's so cool stompin' around as Godzilla.

And the fanservice for all the monsters and their intros is cool as hell. Godzilla '14 even starts at 100 meters tall, and instead of growing in size, his power outputs gets higher when destroying stuff(also DAT ROAR).

I've only run into Hedorah, Gigan, Battra(both forms), and Mechagodzilla so far in the maps.

And a question; I had gotten all those research camera points on my way through the story mode, yet I didn't get anything; or do I have to do it through every route and level?

There is a demo? On PS4?

Can't find the ps4 version on Japanese PSN, only PS3. was it physical only?

I watched a stream of this last night.

I dunno, the city looked incredibly bland and lifeless to me. The buildings were all crude and bland, no character. Streets were empty. Looked kinda cheap.

But people are enjoying it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this feels like a bit of a spiritual successor to Generations 1. Its a lot more focused than the first Generations (you aren't just wandering around destroying every tree and building) as the "story" mode is usually you blowing up generators and destroying the city until another monster shows up to stop you.

Oh God.

Yeah, I'll second this. It's much more of an evolution of Godzilla Generations on the Dreamcast than last gen's brawler games. I wish Megalon was in it, but they did it up right on this one. It feels like Godzilla to a degree that no other game has really captured.

Oh god oh God.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Hmm seems like the only positives I've seen about this game is from this thread.
And here i was thinking Godzilla was just a boomchicken.

Might have to check this out if its not as bad as people make it out to be.

Impulsor

Godzilla '14 is a preorder bonus?

No where to be found here in Spain though. Not a single store offering the code as preorder bonus anywhere.

Top Bottom