• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sigrun Fight is Still Giving Players Trouble

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I checked the trophies. 12.8% beat all nine. One in eight owners is a decent number to beat the Valkyries. It's a nightmare but with the number of sales, fair fucks to all the ones who managed it.

poodaddy

She was damn tough on the highest difficulty, that's for sure. To be honest, after I beat her I was happy for a moment, and then I felt silly for how much time I wasted fighting her and how much it probably rose my blood pressure. It was healthy in that way I suppose, due to that experience I no longer feel bad for lowering the difficulty on games if I'm just not having fun any more. I no longer concern myself with "proving to myself I can do it." I know I can do it, but sometimes it's simply not worth the effort.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I played the game at highest difficulty (GMGOW mode), i defeated all the Valkyries, took some effort.

The moment I hit Sigrun and notice her HP bar barely moves, I quit the game and nope the fuck out.

you just need to practise avoiding her moves. once you do, you'll have no problem defeating her. its a nice feeling to get your ass kicked over and over but to than the tables around.

Numenorean

Im glad that I tried somewhere between 20 to 30 attempts. I was at level 8. At my almost 40 years old, I thought that my reflexes were no longer at the height of a young man in his 20's but seeing these comments I see that I am not so bad after all

Beat her on give me god of war first playthrough, a hell of fight, basically zero forgiveness.

NG+ fight became a lot easier as you could transfer armor set bonus to gems and made yourself much overpower.

I didn't even get to the last Valkirie!

Note that I still appreciate a lot the fact that they were not affraid to put time on content not everybody gets to see.

Last edited:

Duchess

Took me a couple of hours with the game set to the easiest mode. She's still a huge challenge even then.

Something I find helps with stuff like this is simply to watch the no-hit runs on YouTube; the players often employ tactics that you can use yourself during the fight. I had real problems getting past the boss rush in Shovel Knight until I watched one of those and could clearly see the patterns the bosses used and what I needed to do. I beat them all first time when I returned to it.

re: Sigrun. I found that going into the fight with full health, full rage, and having the rage stone was the best bet. I believe there's an ability you can assign that makes rage hits restore health (I think I also had Atreus set to drop health pickups). Basically, I would fight her as usual, then, once my health got low, I would use rage and beat down on her a lot, to restore as much health as I could, while also dealing more damage to her. Inevitability, she would knock me down, but Atreus would bring me back with the rage stone. Things would get dicey here, as I'd have little health, and would need to go at her while raged to get health back. I eventually managed to beat her and I was very happy to have overcome the challenge.

People asking what the reward for beating her is? The reward is the knowledge that you possessed the skill and determination to do so. Also, you get a trophy :)

(something very useful - when she jumps into the air, throw the axe at her to bring her back down the ground - that'll help you a lot)

luffie

I couldn’t beat her in hard so I switched to normal, but then I still couldn’t do it, so I switched to easy and beat her then.

Is not that she is hard to beat because it’s difficult, it’s because she cheats, and you have to either have extremely fast reflexes or have luck to somehow know where she lands so she doesn’t spam you with her attacks.

This boss is so annoying that I don’t know who actually feels rewarded to beat her. It’s more like get rid of her and not wanting to play again.
Yep, it's actually a "mediocre" design, it's all about memorization her moves, period.

There's no such thing as super reflex to avoid her move, her wing stab is too fast to avoid the moment you see it, so eventually you memorized that if she strafe right, it's 100% a wing stab. I can guarantee nobody evades those stab the 1st time.

She strafes left, it's wing spiral, she stays middle, it's wing stab too, so you keep on moving right or left. Her "Valhalla" has no sound, so you MUST dodge backwards so that you can see if she's going to do it again. If you don't backwards (but sideways etc), you are GUARANTEED to get hit by her next Valhalla or a wing stab (because you are dodging blindly, and she actually stops doing Valhalla).

It's really artificial difficulty that forces you to react in a certain way. There is no avenue for other approach, you can't distance yourself and tackle her creatively, her wing projectile homes and the only way is to block it, her Valhalla closes the distance immediately etc, you get the point.

The only part you get to choose is which skill you are going to beat her with.

xrnzaaas

I'm not ashamed to say I've lowered the difficulty with the final valkyrie. I just didn't want to waste time repeating the fight. Done everything else (including bonus worlds) on normal though.

skit_data

I had to lower the difficulty for this one, got my ass completely handed to me by Sigrun.

It also helped me realize that a max health, max attack build is utterly useless. Changing to a full cooldown and high runic damage build was the only way to go.

Kagey K

Banned
Did they do anything to alter the difficulty of the fight?

If not isn't it just the same as day 1 and really not worth writing about?

Imagine writing an article "15 years later and kids are still 360 no scoping me on CoD"

Or 25 years later people are still falling off of Rainbow Road.

How about it's been 87 years and people are still dying to the first Goomba in world 1-1

Last edited:

Dav-Kripler

Im glad that I tried somewhere between 20 to 30 attempts. I was at level 8. At my almost 40 years old, I thought that my reflexes were no longer at the height of a young man in his 20's but seeing these comments I see that I am not so bad after all
41 yo here and it's satisfying to know I'm not the only one who is coming to terms with reflexes not being what they used to be 😅 Also as a father of 2 GOW really got me in the feels. If Atreus won't give up on freeing the Valkyries then neither will his dad!

SCB3

I don't think Sigrun was too bad, by the time I got to her, I'd done pretty much everything else and my Runes were set up that I was constantly healing, Muspelhiems Trials I think were harder

Kerotan

My mate is currently trying to kill the valkyries and he's having trouble with the regular ones. I can't wait to hear him raging when he fights the queen. I remember him having breakdowns on the final boss for jedi fallen order.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yep, she was bastard hard. I did it on normal, so not quite as hellish as some of you on the harder levels, but it was bad enough. Came as a massive surprise as well, because nothing else in the game is like it.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'll give it a shot, ta.

I'm just a weird gamer, I'm naturally good at many genres so when something is really not clicking with me even after a few hours and I've even looked at strategies online or talked to people in the know and I'm still not "getting gud" I'll become disinterested, a terrible way to be, probably.

Sometimes people say things are hard as balls or the like and then I play it and I'm just flying through it with ease, but then other things I bounce right off.

Everybody has their random specific talents ;)

I have somewhat issues with Ace Combat and SW: Squadrons. For some reason I'm quite terrible in dogfights and the like lol. I was coincidently remembered by this this very morning while playing the 'catch the thing' fly segment in Skyward Sword. Just takes me longer than I think I should lol

Last edited:

Three

On NG+ Give Me God Of War difficulty I think I must have played it about 30 times before I learnt her patterns and beat her. Once you nail that down it's working on your timing to avoid her "Valhalla!" move. The timing on that one is a bitch and if you miss it's either insta death or most of your healthbar gone.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Sigrun can pretty much only be beaten if you understand all other Valkyrie's moves. I ended up beating her on Normal (played most of the game on Hard), simply by getting better each time. When she ascends with red circle my muscle memory was on square button. When she blocked I had double tap shield in my memory. Yellow attack was parry, etc. Her variations though keep something to be aware of, its not always 3 stomps, it can be 2 with one stab. etc. But, the tells are there though. Another thing you needed to remember was to only pick up health when she's stunned.

Last edited:

Fahdis

I've platinumed too many games on the highest difficulties as required to get the trophy. So I play games on easy that don't require that bs and I enjoy them so much more. Bested Sigrun like the 3rd try? Git gud newbs.

The Shepard

I felt like a god playing the game for 40 hours at launch and killing all the valkyries, felt like nothing could stop me. Then this bitch turns up and wipes the floor with me. After about 20 attempts I finally beat her and got the platinum.

Really do need to replay the game before part 2 is out on ps5. Fave game of last gen.

sircaw

Banned
6 hours. Easily the hardest boss of ask time and I've beaten all souls borne games.

On NG+ GMGOW she's almost impossible because she gets the enhanced valkyrie abilities like extra ice throws, extra Valhalas and fire valhallas.

On hard she's much more manageable after you hit level 10. It turns her health blue which makes it far more easier to do damage. But you still have to play defensive.

Luckily the game gives you a lot of tools to heal up like axes that heal you, runic attacks that heal you and that squirrel that leaves health items.

Here is my run:

What's crazy is, i did not even use block in my run. "lollipop_disappointed:

TonyK

I used the same strategy than the one I used with the final boss of Sekiro: give up after a couple of attempts and uninstall the game.

GermanZepp

Is an optional boss it's fair to be more challenging. In fact it was the only challenging boss in the game. I struggle but I beat it eventually. A good boss fight is always welcomed. You know what's bullshit? Dozens of collectibles in a open world. That's why I didn't get the platinum fuck that.

Kuranghi

Everybody has their random specific talents ;)

I have somewhat issues with Ace Combat and SW: Squadrons. For some reason I'm quite terrible in dogfights and the like lol. I was coincidently remembered by this this very morning while playing the 'catch the thing' fly segment in Skyward Sword. Just takes me longer than I think I should lol

Well its probably too late for that bit, but I highly recommend switching to button controls for the harder flying bits, I'm not joking I got the statue in less than 60 seconds last night without even trying.

Then I went back to motion controls and was going to the big green laser and it took me like 3 mins to get the red rupee off the nearby bird lol.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well its probably too late for that bit, but I highly recommend switching to button controls for the harder flying bits, I'm not joking I got the statue in less than 60 seconds last night without even trying.

Then I went back to motion controls and was going to the big green laser and it took me like 3 mins to get the red rupee off the nearby bird lol.

Try 4 minutes or so with the button controls, haha.. Asshole bird was always turning while I was swooping in.. But to save a little bit of my gamer (TM) cred; the non inverted flight controls took some while getting used to ... Also I guessed just getting close enough and dash 3 times wasn't going to work because it would be to easy (all in my head) so I chose to ascent and just rush downwards with perfect timing.. probably made it harder for myself than necessary lol

💩

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is an optional boss it's fair to be more challenging. In fact it was the only challenging boss in the game. I struggle but I beat it eventually. A good boss fight is always welcomed. You know what's bullshit? Dozens of collectibles in a open world. That's why I didn't get the platinum fuck that.
It's a hub world. Not an open world pigeon collectathon like GTA.

They even tell you what you are missing in each island.

I hate collectathons. I have left so many platinums recently because of them even though ive beaten them on the hardest difficulty or have done the hardest challenges. SOTC time trials were brutal but collecting lizards? fuck that. getting SS in resident evil 8 mercenaries and finishing it in village of shadows? no problem. collecting toy horses? no thanks. same with returnal. did all the hard fights, but collecting shit in an rng game is not my idea of fun.

But GoW did them well. you can see what item you are missing with a press of a button.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Gave it a good go, whittled down her health bar to pretty low, died everytime in the end. After a few tries, I gave up. Challenging fight for sure, didn't really feel like it was unfair. Good challenge, just not for me I guess.

Fake

This Valk get all the valks behavior into single one.

To be honest, the Valk inside the toxic world is more annoying. My problem trying to beating this last Valk is because my Dualshock 4 get problems. Since I get a new one, took me less than 3 tries in the last difficult.

Just listen some tuto on youtube, increase vit and def, make heal when you parry and use the bear shield skill that protect you while attacking.

NT80

She was the highlight of the game for me. I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much without her. The rest of the game was merely ok. Repetitive enemies, flat story, empty feeling open world and the other bosses were a let down.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah I fought the first Valkyrie, died liked the piece of shite I was, tried again, died... Skipped all Valkyrie's... Now you're telling me there's a boss one... Fuuuuuuuuuuck dat

Top Bottom