• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sigrun Fight is Still Giving Players Trouble

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Despite being out for over 3 years, God of War's Sigrun boss fight continues to challenge players trying to save the Valkyries.

Players took to Reddit to share their continued struggles against the Valkyrie queen, proving to be as difficult today as she did when the game released. In one thread, user u/hellraiser2710 said he was on attempt 26 of the Sigrun battle during his first playthrough of the game and comments about how much more difficult Sigrun is compared to the other Valkyries. Their stance was shared in u/Bejdza69's thread, where they comment on how difficult the fight is even on easy.

It's not hard to see why Sigrun continues to challenge players this long after God of War's release given how Sony Santa Monica went about designing this encounter. Instead of giving Sigrun a unique ability to overcome, like the other eight Valkyries, she can instead use all the abilities players had to overcome in the other Valkyrie encounters. This difficulty is compounded by a much larger health pool, meaning it takes even longer to defeat Sigrun.

Seems to me like another classic case of “Git Gud”.

Last edited:

RCU005

I couldn’t beat her in hard so I switched to normal, but then I still couldn’t do it, so I switched to easy and beat her then.

Is not that she is hard to beat because it’s difficult, it’s because she cheats, and you have to either have extremely fast reflexes or have luck to somehow know where she lands so she doesn’t spam you with her attacks.

This boss is so annoying that I don’t know who actually feels rewarded to beat her. It’s more like get rid of her and not wanting to play again.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I couldn’t beat her in hard so I switched to normal, but then I still couldn’t do it, so I switched to easy and beat her then.

Is not that she is hard to beat because it’s difficult, it’s because she cheats, and you have to either have extremely fast reflexes or have luck to somehow know where she lands so she doesn’t spam you with her attacks.

This boss is so annoying that I don’t know who actually feels rewarded to beat her. It’s more like get rid of her and not wanting to play again.

I mastered her tells and could spot all her moves. Bitch couldn’t touch me. Fair play it took a good few attempts to get there but man, when you get it and it clicks, she ain’t got shit she can do.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its was a challenge but not really that hard, especially compare to Sekiro's boss fights.

My advice is if you seeing yourself getting frustrated, stop and cool off then comeback and retry again, when you are frustrated you make stupid mistakes.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Never play dark souls or something like Furi then.

Sometimes the challenge is the fun and the "reward" is as simple as overcoming the challenge.

There are games I appreciate like that, but they are usually other genres than 3rd person action and yeah I'm starting to feel like I should just never try to play any of the Soulsbornes, I want to because its so popular but just have to let things go sometimes. Always moving to the bottom of my backlog because there are other things I'd rather play above them.

I tried Sekiro for 2 hours and then put it down, but I know thats not the same really.

Furi looked cool, I know its a boss rush but is there permadeath?

Last edited:

TheAssist

I did not play it on the hardest difficulty, but I didnt find her that hard, exactly because she is a copy cat of all the others. There was one Valkyrie that gave me a serious headache with one of her attacks until I learned how to dodge it. But when you learned how to dodge all the Valkyries attacks, then Sigrun is tuff but not unbeatable.

GHG

Yeah I'm starting to feel like I should just never try to play any of the Soulsbornes, I want to because its so popular but just have to let things go sometimes.

Furi looked cool, I know its a boss rush but is there permadeath?

No permadeath but its tough as nails even on the default (lowest) difficulty. Think of a dark souls boss rush game with some nier bullet-hell thrown in for good measure. Really underrated game in my opinion.

Kuranghi

No permadeath but its tough as nails even on the default (lowest) difficulty. Think of a dark souls boss rush game with some nier bullet-hell thrown in for good measure. Really underrated game in my opinion.

I'll give it a shot, ta.

I'm just a weird gamer, I'm naturally good at many genres so when something is really not clicking with me even after a few hours and I've even looked at strategies online or talked to people in the know and I'm still not "getting gud" I'll become disinterested, a terrible way to be, probably.

Sometimes people say things are hard as balls or the like and then I play it and I'm just flying through it with ease, but then other things I bounce right off.

Reactions: GHG

kyliethicc

Fuck that bitch was tough. Fighting her on GMGOW almost broke me and my DualShock

Together we won. Sad Dad and Boy.

C73Gwfp.jpg

Last edited:

Aion002

I did it... Not worth. I regret it.

Cheap as fuck, unfun and frustrating.

Anyone struggling on it should just swap to easy.

Only Japan knows how to do hard, fun, fair and challenging close combat pve. I rather finish any Soulsborne game without a weapon than have to beat those Valkyries again... I know that from experience.

GHG

I'll give it a shot, ta.

I'm just a weird gamer, I'm naturally good at many genres so when something is really not clicking with me even after a few hours and I've even looked at strategies online or talked to people in the know and I'm still not "getting gud" I'll become disinterested, a terrible way to be, probably.

Sometimes people say things are hard as balls or the like and then I play it and I'm just flying through it with ease, but then other things I bounce right off.

Honestly I'd say its worth trying out one of the Souls games as well if you can get one while they are dirt cheap on sale. They are some of those games that you need to try yourself to understand if it will "click" for you or not..

In a weird sort of way they are some of the most "emotional" games out there because of the fact that more than half the battle is psychological, it almost becomes a personal battle between you and the challenges the game constantly throws at you. You'll know whether that's your jam or not very quickly (I'd say once you are a couple of bosses in you should know for sure).

Kuranghi

Honestly I'd say its worth trying out one of the Souls games as well if you can get one while they are dirt cheap on sale. They are some of those games that you need to try yourself to understand if it will "click" for you or not..

In a weird sort of way they are some of the most "emotional" games out there because of the fact that more than half the battle is psychological, it almost becomes a personal battle between you and the challenges the game constantly throws at you. You'll know whether that's your jam or not very quickly (I'd say once you are a couple of bosses in you should know for sure).

I have DS:Remastered & Prepare to Die Edition + DS3 via library sharing but everytime I install it I just play other things instead. Would you recommend starting with 1 or is 3 a good place to start? I heard its a lot more forgiving and has better QoL than previous entries.

edit - Is the hardest part of Furi the bullet hell aspect or is there also constant difficult parry timing? For some reason bullet-hell is no issue for me, I don't think and just flow around the bullets and I couldn't tell someone else how I do it.

Last edited:

GHG

I have DS:Remastered & Prepare to Die Edition + DS3 via library sharing but everytime I install it I just play other things instead. Would you recommend starting with 1 or is 3 a good place to start? I heard its a lot more forgiving and has better QoL than previous entries.

1 has the best level design in the mainline series (and arguably some of the best level design work in any game ever) while 3 could be seen as easier dependant on your build preference.

I'd say start with dark souls 1 remastered but you can't go wrong either way tbh.

Beat every valkyrie including her on hardest difficulty. Spectacular fight that encompasses all that you have learned in previous fights. Tough but fair, that’s the most important thing. I wasn’t over the moon about the game like most of the world but I give them huge credits for valkyries and ending.

kyliethicc

Wait, it's hard even on easy?! GULP
Sounds not fun.

Is the reward good? No spoilers please.

The Valkyries are the optional boss fights in the game. Each one has their own move set.

Once all are defeated, you can then fight the Valkyrie Queen. She has ALL of the move sets combined lol.

The actual in-game reward for winning is a spoiler. But the satisfaction of the win was reward enough.

Its the ultimate challenge of the game. Like a giant obstacle course of all the combat mechanics thrown at you, randomly, by a fast, aggressive, deadly tank. Very fun but very tough, especially on hard / very hard modes.

Highly recommended.

Raekwon26

Are you actually recommending that bastard of a game Furi?

Broke a controller because of that game.

• LOL

horkrux

My memory of the fight is really fucking hazy, but I don't think that's true. She has some moves with similiar tells that I couldn't reliably tell apart from each other (might even be impossible idk), but I don't remember her cheating or the fight being unfair.
It's just a million different moves and if you do the wrong thing she does a thing and you eat a thing and oops you're dead.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
People honestly struggled with this boss? She was simple, IMO. I could see it being difficult if put the game down and waited months to return, but not normally.
DMC3 gave me far more difficulty on easy than any of the bosses in this game.

GHG

Are you actually recommending that bastard of a game Furi?

Broke a controller because of that game.

I fucking love it. Have it on both PS4 and PC and it's a game that I constantly return to because of the the fact that you can spend half an hour at at time with it and still come away satisfied.

Dav-Kripler

Just popped in to say
1 I'm still trying to beat sigrun
2 I'm still trying to beat the second boss of furi
3 I enjoy the fights and will beat them eventually... Furi is stunning
4 honestly it would be easier to beat the dark souls trilogy using only my mouth on the controller than either of them.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
6 hours. Easily the hardest boss of ask time and I've beaten all souls borne games.

On NG+ GMGOW she's almost impossible because she gets the enhanced valkyrie abilities like extra ice throws, extra Valhalas and fire valhallas.

On hard she's much more manageable after you hit level 10. It turns her health blue which makes it far more easier to do damage. But you still have to play defensive.

Luckily the game gives you a lot of tools to heal up like axes that heal you, runic attacks that heal you and that squirrel that leaves health items.

Here is my run:

Raekwon26

I fucking love it. Have it on both PS4 and PC and it's a game that I constantly return to because of the the fact that you can spend half an hour at at time with it and still come away satisfied.
Satisfied my ass.

Never again.

Though I would buy a sequel day 1.

• Empathy

Aenima

It is a great optional boss for the end game. I defeated her with fully evolved armor, weapon and skills, and was still a though battle.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Thankfully I got the platinum. I played the game each year and I only once finished the Valkyries once. What a game but fuck them and that side quest.

SegaShack

Are you saying they should lower the difficulty? What about Battletoads that has been difficult for 30 years ? How is this a story?

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
My goal was to fight these near the end but I never felt the combat was good enough, so glad I checked out. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

Last edited:

BigBooper

I liked this game a lot, but the controls are loose and unreliable enough I didn't try to 100% More power to em.

Aenima

Is not poor balanced. What makes the battle hard is that the boss has a shitload of movesets. Each valkyrie mini boss has a especific amount of movesets, and then the Queen has all the movesets from the previous defeated valkyries. There are skills that make the battle easier, but at the end the player need to be confortable with the battle system to be able to defeat this boss that is suposed to be the ultimate challenge of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom