• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

-viper- said:
Having a great time with GOW1 so far. Reached the Temple of the Oracle. Just one question.

Does GOW1 feature a New Game+ feature? If I decide to play a second playthrough, will I have all my upgrades?

I believe so if I am correct.

Wolf23

Neo Member
TSAGoodness said:
Curious, what is the Boss Batch 3 glitch? Because I thought I should have earned it and I didn't,
I thought I beat all 3 sisters, but that huge fat one with all memory strings attached to her counts as the last sister and I didn't know that, so once I did that I got the trophy.

It is a glitch that has been effecting quite a few people.

I met the criteria but it didn't pop.

Beat the game and it still didn't pop.

I will have to replay it right before GoWIII drops.

Menaged

I'm near the end of GoW 2 and wanted to ask something: Does anyone use anything but the Blades of Athena?

In GoW I used
the blade of artemis
but so far I didn't find any need to use
the hammer or the spear. I'm just having so much fun with the blades and don't see why should I use the other weapons

-viper-

Banned
UnblessedSoul said:
When is this coming out in the Uk? They sure are taking their sweet time
Just buy a US copy from eBay. It's what I did. Cost me £29 - brand new and sealed. Not a bad price for two great games. There are many sellers based in the UK so you should get a copy in only a couple of days.

And plus, I am NOT going to wait for the 'UK' copy (if they decide to release one) if they happen to release it on the same time as GOW3. I'd rather complete the collection now in preparation for the third game.

-viper-

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
No. The blades are so much faster, and far more entertaining to use.
At least in GOW3 the other weapons appear to be far more useful (and fun to use).

The Cestus (sp?) gloves were fantastic in the demo.

On the other hand, in GOW1, the 'Blade of Artemis' seems pretty useless IMO.

jett

D-Member
All of the sub-weapons(because that's what they are) suck in GOW1/2. The Cestus in the GOW3 demo still have a sub-weapony feel, sadly.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
-viper- said:
Having a great time with GOW1 so far. Reached the Temple of the Oracle. Just one question.

Does GOW1 feature a New Game+ feature? If I decide to play a second playthrough, will I have all my upgrades?

No, GOW1 doesn't have a New Game+, but there are costumes you can equip that will make you much more powerful. The
business suit Kratos
gains experience extremely fast, ensuring you'll be powered up much faster than usual. The downside is you have to beat the challenge mode to unlock them.

jett said:
All of the sub-weapons(because that's what they are) suck in GOW1/2. The Cestus in the GOW3 demo still have a sub-weapony feel, sadly.

I almost immediately liked the Cestus more than previous sub-weapons (save the
Blade of Olympus
). I like that it's still pretty fast, and you can continuously combo with it, even though it's a heavy weapon. Can't say whether I'll like it in the long run, but I think it has promise.

-viper-

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
No, GOW1 doesn't have a New Game+, but there are costumes you can equip that will make you much more powerful. The
business suit Kratos
gains experience extremely fast, ensuring you'll be powered up much faster than usual. The downside is you have to beat the challenge mode to unlock them.
It doesn't? Too bad.

The Blade of Olympus
when upgraded to the Max level is far better than the blades in GOW2, especially in challenge of the Titans, but unless you are playing NG+ you won't use it as much in your first playthrough and the blades are far better than the other 2 weapons.

This last fight in God of War I has to be one of the worst. Ares kills you in a couple of hits and you move so slow with that damn sword you can't dodge or block well. There's this random deadlock that happens every now and then but I don't know what's causing it since most of the time it's just Ares getting a counter on me. Is there something I'm missing here?

Never mind, I managed to cheese it. Still, that was a shitty battle. That side swipe move he always uses is killer.

Kweh

I only have two Trophies left to get for GoW 1, the Speed Run and Seeing Red.

If I use the alternate costume where you get more red orbs, is it a substantial amount more? If so, I will use that suit whilst doing the speed run and hopefully get both trophies at the same time.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
-viper- said:
At least in GOW3 the other weapons appear to be far more useful (and fun to use).

The Cestus (sp?) gloves were fantastic in the demo.

On the other hand, in GOW1, the 'Blade of Artemis' seems pretty useless IMO.

I didn't really like the Cestus gloves, as they were too slow for me. And yeah, Blade of Artemis is absolutely useless.

Tkawsome said:
This last fight in God of War I has to be one of the worst. Ares kills you in a couple of hits and you move so slow with that damn sword you can't dodge or block well. There's this random deadlock that happens every now and then but I don't know what's causing it since most of the time it's just Ares getting a counter on me. Is there something I'm missing here?

Never mind, I managed to cheese it. Still, that was a shitty battle. That side swipe move he always uses is killer.

The first sequence is bearable (although Ares is a cheap bastard), and the
fight against the clones
is, although annoying, also bearable, but the final sequence is nothing but fucking frustrating shit.

Wolf23

Neo Member
Kweh said:
I only have two Trophies left to get for GoW 1, the Speed Run and Seeing Red.

If I use the alternate costume where you get more red orbs, is it a substantial amount more? If so, I will use that suit whilst doing the speed run and hopefully get both trophies at the same time.

You can farm orbs at the last battle if you like by
pressing the last button incorrectly

Arsenic

TheThunder said:
The Blade of Olympus
when upgraded to the Max level is far better than the blades in GOW2, especially in challenge of the Titans, but unless you are playing NG+ you won't use it as much in your first playthrough and the blades are far better than the other 2 weapons.
This is one of the reasons why i liked GoW1 better than GoW2. Most of the moves with the blades are just flash and lack variety.

Arsenic

Combichristoffersen said:
The first sequence is bearable (although Ares is a cheap bastard), and the
fight against the clones
is, although annoying, also bearable, but the final sequence is nothing but fucking frustrating shit.
He has this one fucking annoying move where he does a quick fire throw, which breaks your block and knocks you back, only to follow up with the side-spikes move. On just Hard mode it does 60% damage, and extremely fucking cheap.

Oneself

Tylahedras said:
I just got the collection and I'm very impressed with their rework of the graphics.

What's even more impressive is that they haven't touched anything other than the resolution...
(+ less frame drops and no tearing)

-viper-

Banned
fuck that guy who designed the spiked chambers of hades

i've been stuck at this shitty segment for 2 fucking hours.

i got past the first chamber easily but the second one? what the fuck is this shit. ARGH.

GOW 2 is a far, far better game. this first game is full of far too many frustrating moments. its not designed very well and its easy to get lost.

edit: just did it. finally.

edit 2: just completed the game. an epic experience marred by some terrible puzzles.

edit 3: Anyone watch the video about Kratos' brother in the treasures section? The fact you get a trophy for it makes me think they're hinting at something. Hmmm....

Dogenzaka

Banned
F this game!!!!!

I have all weapons maxed out and max health and magic, and I'm playing on Hard Mode, and I can't get through the
protecting Kratos' wife and child/Kratos clone
segment of the final boss of GoW1!!! UGHHHH

Any tips? I've tried everything. Blade of Artemis, Blades of Chaos, combos with Army of Undead and Poseidon's Rage, and constantly Titan Raging :( it's too fucking hard on Hard Mode.

UGHHHH been trying this fight for 3 hours (and every time I lose I have to re-max my Army of Undead :l)

i got past the first chamber easily but the second one? what the fuck is this shit. ARGH.

It's easy if you go slowly and don't jump up whatsoever.

But I agree, those spiked columns should have been majorly edited, or removed xD

So far I'm liking GoW1 way better than GoW2. I played GoW2 myself around 3 years ago and I couldn't even finish it. GoW1 has successfully pulled me into the franchise.

The fact you get a trophy for it makes me think they're hinting at something. Hmmm....

Stig confirmed in an interview that he won't be making an appearance/mention in GoW3. :(

So I just finished God of War II.

Why didn't Kratos just use the threads of fate to stop himself from killing his family, or at least stop himself from draining his god powers into the Blade of Olympus?

Tkawsome said:

Why didn't Kratos just use the threads of fate to stop himself from killing his family, or at least stop himself from draining his god powers into the Blade of Olympus?

because anytime anyone tries to bring time traveling in ANYTHING it ends up not being logical you have to just take it as is

TheThunder said:
because anytime anyone tries to bring time traveling in ANYTHING it ends up not being logical you have to just take it as is

I mean, he could have even shown up before he was originally stabbed. Kratos really didn't think things through.

Tkawsome said:
I mean, he could have even shown up before he was originally stabbed. Kratos really didn't think things through.

Maybe
he wants to seek revenge against the gods first. Then after he's done, he'll go back in time and save his family. I haven't played GOW3 yet so I wouldn't know...

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
OneMoreQuestion said:
Maybe
he wants to seek revenge against the gods first. Then after he's done, he'll go back in time and save his family. I haven't played GOW3 yet so I wouldn't know...
yea that would be awesome

OneMoreQuestion said:
Maybe

I think the time portal place was destroyed after he saved the Titans. The place was crumbling when he came back from the Zeus fight.

JaseC said:
Kratos doesn't think, he acts.

The guy solves all kinds of puzzles these games. He seems pretty smart, or at least smart enough to go back in time ten minutes earlier then the moment he chose.

Schrade

Fuck. I'm stuck in God of War at the spinning blades room. How the hell are you supposed to get past that, dammit!

Dogenzaka

Banned
Tkawsome said:

Because then the Colossus would still need defeating, and the Spartan Army still saving.

If he went so far back in time that he saves his family, he never would have become God of War. I wouldn't be surprised if he figures out how to save his family from the Underworld in GoW3 or something

Well
Going to the moment Zeus betrayed him was an easy opportunity to kill him while he was distracted and already on earth. He likely wouldn't be able to challenge Zeus while still on Olympus in the state he was.

Schrade said:
No, I mean the spinning blades/buzzsaws room in The Challenge of Atlas. I hate crap like that.

If you're talking about the blades that go horizontal and vertical, that shit was easy. Just roll and jump your way out. If you're talking about the spinning platforms up high and walking the thin platform, then THAT PISSED ME THE FUCK OFF!!!

Schrade

shagg_187 said:
If you're talking about the blades that go horizontal and vertical, that shit was easy. Just roll and jump your way out. If you're talking about the spinning platforms up high and walking the thin platform, then THAT PISSED ME THE FUCK OFF!!!
By the time I get to the door one of bar sets has closed. Grrr.

I guess I haven't hit the thing you're talking about yet if it's after the spinning buzzsaw/blades room?

Schrade said:
By the time I get to the door one of bar sets has closed. Grrr.

I guess I haven't hit the thing you're talking about yet if it's after the spinning buzzsaw/blades room?

Yeah I don't think you're suppose to get to the door yet. I made the same mistake forcing myself into it but you're suppose to get in that door later. You have other things to do elsewhere before you come back and try it. Even if you get the door open, if this is the first time you entering the buzzsaw/blade room, then you can't do shit about it as nothing is ahead of that door... :)

If this is you backtracking to the buzzsaw room after doing loads of shit then try to roll and jump your way in.

I can be wrong though, but I'm sure you cannot get into that door if you're witnessing it for the first time.

Schrade

Yeah, I've already done the other stuff. Am just trying to get through the damn door. So.. you say jump? Hmm I haven't tried jumping yet. Have just been rolling. I fucking hate this damn room so much though.

Starting to hope there's a way to snake a save file off the net and load it up to get past this damn thing.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Schrade said:
Yeah, I've already done the other stuff. Am just trying to get through the damn door. So.. you say jump? Hmm I haven't tried jumping yet. Have just been rolling. I fucking hate this damn room so much though.

Starting to hope there's a way to snake a save file off the net and load it up to get past this damn thing.

Uh wow, just roll. It took me one try.

LakeEarth

Got it, enjoying it, at least God of War 1. Damn this temple just keeps on going eh? I like how the game seems to be the result of a month-long meeting where people just listed things that were badass and put as many of these things into the game as possible.

I also got my first "want to switch to easy mode?", which I think is a stupid option if all of the deaths are due to instant pit/trap kills. They should've taken that into account. It's not even that hard, just some bad luck and going too quick.

EDIT - yeah that buzzsaw room was a bit difficult. The trick is to not worry about getting hit, just go go go and there's enough time to make it. Try to move diagonally more, riskier but you save a lot of time.

Dogenzaka said:
Uh wow, just roll. It took me one try.

lol yeah. Once you do other stuff, it should be easy to get through. Roll your way out. It takes a little bit of luck. Definitely roll your way in the door, reserve the jumps (very rarely though cause roll works flawlessly).

Dogenzaka said:
If he went so far back in time that he saves his family, he never would have become God of War. I wouldn't be surprised if he figures out how to save his family from the Underworld in GoW3 or something

He never wanted to be the God of War in the first place. Athena forced him into the position when all he wanted to do was get rid of his memories.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Tkawsome said:
He never wanted to be the God of War in the first place. Athena forced him into the position when all he wanted to do was get rid of his memories.

you can't say he didn't enjoy it, though, when he constantly boasts about it in the second game and rather enjoys his immortality :p

Schrade said:

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_tPPT3C7M4&t=7m33s

I'm sure this is what you're talking about.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
jett said:

Generally, the weapons in GoW I & II suck with the exception of the Barbarian Hammer. If you mean design wise, yes, (the Hammer only has two useful moves), but as far as utility the Hammer is the easiest way to get through a lot of portions of Titan difficulty, as it's much much more powerful than it seems.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Whoa whoa whoa, the purple lance in GOWII was easily the best weapon in the entire game. I loved the proximity mines, timed explosives, etc. you could lay with that thing. If it were only a bit more powerful I would have used it for the entire game (still did anyways).

chubigans said:
Whoa whoa whoa, the purple lance in GOWII was easily the best weapon in the entire game. I loved the proximity mines, timed explosives, etc. you could lay with that thing. If it were only a bit more powerful I would have used it for the entire game (still did anyways).
say what?

Top Bottom