• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's been a while since I last mentioned that God of War II is one of the best games of all time, so here's another thread about it

Which God of War game is YOUR favorie?

• God of War

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • God of War II

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • God of War III

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Chains of Olympus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ghost of Sparta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ascension

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Dad of Boy

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Dad of Boy II

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

Drizzlehell

Banned
I got a PS Vita the other day and it just so happened that I already owned the classic God of War collection on it. So in the interest testing out the handheld, I did the only right thing and put on God of War II.

Fuck me, I just can't get over how awesome this game is. It starts out with such an electrifying set piece that I can feel the sparks jumping between the hair on my balls every time I play it. Just in case you haven't played it or can't remember the details, this is what happens within the first 20 minutes of the game:
  • You witness the Spartan army rampaging through a city and slaughtering everyone, and one of your guys gives you a call to grab some brewskis and join in the fun
  • You tell Athena to go fuck herself and insult the gods of Olympus
  • You murder at least 200 helpless soldiers
  • You have sex with two large-breasted women, and they both climax at the same time
  • You kick the living shit out of reanimated Colossus of Rhodes and contribute to the wanton destruction of the city
  • You get stabbed through the chest by Zeus with his giant penis-sword and die
  • You then brush off a giant gaping wound in your chest like it was nothing and punch your way back to life
  • And finally, you jump on a large Pegasus and tear a bunch of Griffin to shreds on your way to turn back time and kick Zeus' ass
Tell me that this isn't awesome. I dare you. I'm having a nose bleed just writing about this.

There's no way anyone could ever convince me that this isn't the pinnacle of gaming, and that some old scrote arguing with his whiny son is somehow a more fulfilling experience.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Voted for 1 cause of the Story and those awesome Korean Outsourced cutscenes.

2 for the overall game though.

Depressed Kratos = Lame Kratos

radewagon

Depressed Kratos = Lame Kratos
EDIT: Bruh, Kratos never stopped being depressed.

God of War is a weird series for me. I only got into it as a fan of Devil May Cry style titles. The GOW games were fun enough, but the story and characters were never all that interesting to me. I've played all of them except Ascension and Ragnarök. Of the ones I played, "Dad of Boy" and God of War III were the only ones that I found particularly compelling. All in all, a solid series with a few phenomenal standouts. I'm sure I would have liked GOW II more if I had played it when it came out as the spectacle would have been more impressive.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

My current order GOW 2018 >= GOW3 > GOW > GOW2 = Ragnarok > GOW Chains of Olympus. Havent played Ghost of Sparta or Ascension yet.

2018 and 3 are very close in Rank to me but they are so good at different things its hard to compare, I just cant deny the quality Combat and World Layout/Mission Design structure/pacing of 2018 even though I prefer the Boss's, Brutality and Mythos in 3.

I really have a soft spot for the 1st game as well since it has imo the most interesting Story of all the games and I absolutely love the Labyrinth on Chrono's back, the lore of that place is so Brutal.

GOW 2 for some reason didnt make too much an impact on me even though its a very solid game, I just didnt care about it's plot and wasnt super compelled by the boss's but its still fun. Ragnarok on the other hand was a major let down from 2018 for many reasons (too many to list) but it does some cool things with Brok/Sendri, the Spear and the Crater.

Chains is perfectly good for a PSP God of War but it doesnt do anything better than the other games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally really liked original God of War because I always liked the plot about a man becoming a god, this is why I was not fan of the whole Kratos being son of Zeus in 2nd game. As for sex mini game, meh I love sexy designs but I personally never was fan of actual sex in my games. From gameplay perspective all 3 games and two PSP games were really fun but with Ascension the formula went stale and story gone to complete nonsense.

I somewhat enjoyed GOW 2018 because as much as I liked Kratos "angry" all the time, it got old and it doesn't makes lot sense story wise he keep being angry and it was kind of exciting to see new side of him. Problem was enemy/boss variety absolutely sucked in 2018 version and this whole one shot camera doesn't work because they decided turned the game in RPG and every time you went to your inventory to equip gear or go to your map it cuts and that whole illusion of one shot camera breaks, which honestly games like original Dead Space did MUCH better job.

GOW R, I give credit that they did better job with enemy variety but fuck me this destroy own pacing because they gone too fucking hard on being cinematic and try sooo hard to build up towards Ragnarök and in the end in amount to noting. I also fucking hate what Kratos have become, I dont need him become old "angry" Kratos but god damn he went too far in to self pity and try to give advice to everybody, he was so out of character and Atreus just become much more dumber from the last game does absolute most stupidest things. Also If going just going to spoil puzzles for sake of "accessibility" then why not just take out the puzzles all together? If you not gonna let me solve puzzles by myself then I'm just wasting my time here.

Last edited:

CGNoire

EDIT: Bruh, Kratos never stopped being depressed.

God of War is a weird series for me. I only got into it as a fan of Devil May Cry style titles. The GOW games were fun enough, but the story and characters were never all that interesting to me. I've played all of them except Ascension and Ragnarök. Of the ones I played, "Dad of Boy" and God of War III were the only ones that I found particularly compelling. All in all, a solid series with a few phenomenal standouts. I'm sure I would have liked GOW II more if I had played it when it came out as the spectacle would have been more impressive.
GowII also contained the most Ray Harryhausen film references.

CGNoire

I personally really liked original God of War because I always liked the plot about a man becoming a god, this is why I was not fan of the whole Kratos being son of Zeus in 2nd game. As for sex mini game, meh I love sexy designs but I personally never was fan of actual sex in my games. From gameplay perspective all 3 games and two PSP games were really fun but with Ascension the formula went stale and story gone to complete nonsense.

I somewhat enjoyed GOW 2018 because as much as I liked Kratos "angry" all the time, it got old and it doesn't makes lot sense story wise he keep being angry and it was kind of exciting to see new side of him. Problem was enemy/boss variety absolutely sucked in 2018 version and this whole one shot camera doesn't work because they decided turned the game in RPG and every time you went to your inventory to equip gear or go to your map it cuts and that whole illusion of one shot camera breaks, which honestly games like original Dead Space did MUCH better job.

GOW R, I give credit that they did better job with enemy variety but fuck me this destroy own pacing because they gone too fucking hard on being cinematic and try sooo hard to build up towards Ragnarök and in the end in amount to noting. I also fucking hate what Kratos have become, I dont need him become old "angry" Kratos but god damn he went too far in to self pity and try to give advice to everybody, he was so out character and Atreus just become much more dumber from the last game does absolute most stupidest things. Also If going just going to spoil puzzles for sake of "accessibility" then why not just take out the puzzles all together? If you not gonna let me solve puzzles by myself then I'm just wasting my time here.
One shot cameras are such a gimmicky joke. If yah dont beat the game in a single setting.....who gives a shit? Wtf is even the benefit?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One shot cameras are such a gimmicky joke. If yah dont beat the game in a single setting.....who gives a shit? Wtf is even the benefit?
Honestly I agree, one shot camera works in movies like 1917 because you watching in one setting, in games it doesn’t make whole lot of sense. At least games like Dead Space they did better job because you are never out of the game when you go to your inventory or your map and even when you are saving your game thanks to its diegetic UI.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I had beaten GoW1 8 times ,GoW2 more than 10 times, GoW3 more than 5 times, Ascensions 4 times, PSP Duology 4 times each, Norse Duology once each. I've complete highest difficulty for every game except the Norse Duology.

GoW2 was indeed my best experience, not because of the reason the op mentioned though, it was just that the game was overall ahead of its time both in terms of presentation, graphic, pacing, and overall design.

As for Norse Duology, the game do have its quality, but for me what killed my experience was its terrible pacing, the pacing was killed by its side content, the exploration didn't really add much except adding distraction to what would normally be a perfect paced linear game. Especially when some elite monster have the power to one shot you, and you find that the main Boss are just super easy compare to those side content mission, it makes the main content less impactful. The Bosses and enemy variety was also something I think the original GoW did better, the puzzle also sucked in the Norse Duology, especially compare to the complexity of the original Pandora Temple. I could see why people like it, but the game was not for me. I did try the harder difficulty but it didn't add much to the experience other than the enemies take forever to kill.

To sum it up.

Story:
Norse Duology > Original Trilogy

Pacing:
Original Trilogy > Norse Duology

Puzzle:

Boss:

Enemy Varieties:

Presentation:

Gameplay Variety:

The thing I don't understand about Sony is that out of all the game they could remake, they decide to remake TLOU1, why not remake the original GoWs with modern engine, the PS2 graphic definitely benefit more from that.

Last edited:

Skifi28

To me 3 is still the best with 2 a close second. All the others kinda blend together and while I enjoyed the reboot, I consider it a different series altogether

Topher

Gold Member
God of War 2018

Odd. Couldn’t find the best GoW game in your GoW “poll”.:messenger_pensive:

Last edited:

Banned
it's great, but far from the best games of all time.
it's extremely simplistic braindead fun, and nothing more really

Dad of boy lmao

Never played any of them, will probably play 1 and 2 someday since they are probably the best ones. Not voting because I have no experience, but dad of boy was a hilarious entry name.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Real tough for me between part 2 and 3. I still remember picking up part 2 with my original PS3. Gave the nod to part 3.

Topher

Gold Member
yeah, but your option is like saying The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie, and mine is saying that it's a highly flawed film

You can phrase it however you want. I have a different opinion than you do on this.

Let’s leave it at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

Rea

New GOW is a joke compared to the old ones. I love the adrenaline pumping pure gore action game of old GOWs.

Guilty_AI

As for sex mini game, meh I love sexy designs but I personally never was fan of actual sex in my games.
22b.jpg

God of war 2

The music

The pacing

The sense of grand adventure

The ending

Killing the collosus of rhodes and then getting betrayed by zues, revived by gaia, fighting out of hell to jump on a pegasus to an ice cave where the Titan sleeps...this game man....NASTY.

If you missed out on god of war 2...you missed out on the best game of the series, new games included. And one of the finest, most epic action games of all time

It's hard toss-up between GoW II and III for me. III was the one that originally got me into the series, so I have a lot of nostalgia for it. I played through it a few times before I played I and II. Then played through GoS and CoO when they were ported to PS3.... they were good, but didn't blow me away like III had originally. I really enjoyed Ascension, though. Played through all six games again a few months before Dad of Boy was released in anticipation of a spectacular reboot.

Boy, what a let down. I played the first 4 or 5 hours of DoB and then bored-quit.

So for me, it's:

III > II > Ascension > I > CoO > GoS > DoB ... (won't be playing DoB II)

it's great, but far from the best games of all time.
it's extremely simplistic braindead fun, and nothing more really
What difficulty did you play on lmao

As an action game, if felt like it blended epic and adventure better than any of its contemporaries. DMC and ninja gaiden felt like chapters, whereas god of war 2 felt like a journey lol

God of war 2 is certainly one of the best action games of all time. Point me to the game that shits on it, i'd love to play but it better scratch that same itch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom