• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök New Game Plus is available now

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wonder how much of that writing was from Alanna Pearce...first she shows up in a side quest in Cyberpunk the next thing she's hired as a writer for Ragnarok ...and ragnaroks writing got worse. Not saying it's all her fault but it's clear she got hired because she's a pretty e-celeb.
Almost none. There are 7 writers credit in the titles (up from 3 in GOW 2018) and Alannah isnt one of them. Shes probably just a lore writer or working on Corys new IP.

The problem isnt even with the writers. The writers were told to go in this direction by the director of the game. It's on him. I mean this is the same guy who decided not to include the Miljnor in this game even though his dev team was all for it because he wanted to subvert expectations. This is why you dont change directors. They got lucky with Cory and Stigg but Todd Pappy and this guy prove that you cant just give your biggest franchise to anyone.

Hey now ironwood is pretty bad but it's NOWHERE near as bad as Naughty dogs worst walk talky sections.

Even in ironwood you get regular combat sections in uncharted 4 you literally do nothing for 30 to 40 minutes.

I think the problem with ironwood is atreus is just not as fun as Kratos in combat. It's the longest atreus section and nothing interesting happens in the story.

Pacing wise I would be surprised if it's any different to the rest of ragnarok in regards to how it's spaces out combat, exploration and story stuff

You said it yourself, ironwood features Atreus and his combat just isnt as fun. So yes, its way better than uncharted 4 which does have like 4-5 40 minute missions where you dont ever get into combat, but if the combat sucks, does it matter? I bought the game to play as the god of war. Not pick fruits with some random chick going through a midlife crisis. The fact that they make three rounds is what upsets me the most. I was done after the first round of picking strawberries, but three! and then he goes into this cave and im like what are you doing! go back to your fucking father already.

But yes, they have a walking section every 2-3 hours. If its not atreus walking around in asgard, it's kratos walking around in his sleep. not letting us skip cutscenes also hurts. forcing you to sit through dialogues in realm between realm is painful and unneccesary on PS5 because once you exhaust the dialogue options, the loading times are literally 1-5 seconds long depending on where you are fast traveling. But because they designed this with PS4 in mind, they had to fill in those loading segments with long dialogue sections lasting a minute.

TLOU2 has similar sections where Ellie and Joel have flashbacks and walk, Abby and Owen have flashbacks and walk. By the end of the game, I had begun to hate the aquarium. Just let me skip this shit on NG+. This shouldnt be hard to code. Ive seen it done before in other games. I love how RE4 lets you skip comms.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
It’s crazy to think that some of these boss fights have been made even harder and that the vanilla game was harder than GoW 2018.

Neolombax

Will try this sometime later, was honestly holding out hope for maybe DLC but this will do too. The added mechanics are interesting, will try out and see what its all about.

Vroadstar

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight
Sony exclusives bring them out of the woodwork unfortunately.

Paasei

Great game and journey. Not sure if I’m ready just yet to do it all over again. Good thing I grabbed the Platinum trophy. Cool to have the cloak permanent, though.

Question for the ones who are trying this out…

I like playing Resident Evil Remake 2,3 and 4 NG+ because you can speedrun multiple times and the games promote this, not only with multiple rewards, but also with how the games are built around it(especially part 3). Each game maybe had one or two moments where they slowed you down for a maximum of 60 seconds. The rest was pretty much skippable, even surprisingly an in-game elevator segment in 4 could be skipped.

From that, I’ve heard that God of War: Ragnarok has quite a few bits that slow you down during gameplay. How have they tuned this for NG+, are these segments skippable, and how versatile is the game when it comes to speedrunning it?

Pelao

Question for the ones who are trying this out…

I like playing Resident Evil Remake 2,3 and 4 NG+ because you can speedrun multiple times and the games promote this, not only with multiple rewards, but also with how the games are built around it(especially part 3). Each game maybe had one or two moments where they slowed you down for a maximum of 60 seconds. The rest was pretty much skippable, even surprisingly an in-game elevator segment in 4 could be skipped.

From that, I’ve heard that God of War: Ragnarok has quite a few bits that slow you down during gameplay. How have they tuned this for NG+, are these segments skippable, and how versatile is the game when it comes to speedrunning it?
At least from what I've played of the NG+ mode, you can't skip the in-game slow walking and talking parts, only the cutscenes.

At least from what I've played of the NG+ mode, you can't skip the in-game slow walking and talking parts, only the cutscenes.
That’s a shame. I see the potential in the gameplay and doing runs with upgrades, but everything surrounding it makes me look at this game like a ‘one and done’ type of game.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I would suggest you raise your standards. GoW 2018 was excellent in terms of writing. Ragnarok is a clear nose dive.
I suggest you realize that just maybe the majority of people have a different opinion on GoW Ragnarok than you

Even with it getting review bombed for being exclusive, the people still voted it #1

qIlSRiv.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely felt the Marvel formula all over this title. But I still played the heck out of it, enjoyed it, but not as much as the 2018 one and no desire to go back to this. Cool that it got this mode though.

Almost none. There are 7 writers credit in the titles (up from 3 in GOW 2018) and Alannah isnt one of them. Shes probably just a lore writer or working on Corys new IP.

The problem isnt even with the writers. The writers were told to go in this direction by the director of the game. It's on him. I mean this is the same guy who decided not to include the Miljnor in this game even though his dev team was all for it because he wanted to subvert expectations. This is why you dont change directors. They got lucky with Cory and Stigg but Todd Pappy and this guy prove that you cant just give your biggest franchise to anyone.

You said it yourself, ironwood features Atreus and his combat just isnt as fun. So yes, its way better than uncharted 4 which does have like 4-5 40 minute missions where you dont ever get into combat, but if the combat sucks, does it matter? I bought the game to play as the god of war. Not pick fruits with some random chick going through a midlife crisis. The fact that they make three rounds is what upsets me the most. I was done after the first round of picking strawberries, but three! and then he goes into this cave and im like what are you doing! go back to your fucking father already.

But yes, they have a walking section every 2-3 hours. If its not atreus walking around in asgard, it's kratos walking around in his sleep. not letting us skip cutscenes also hurts. forcing you to sit through dialogues in realm between realm is painful and unneccesary on PS5 because once you exhaust the dialogue options, the loading times are literally 1-5 seconds long depending on where you are fast traveling. But because they designed this with PS4 in mind, they had to fill in those loading segments with long dialogue sections lasting a minute.

TLOU2 has similar sections where Ellie and Joel have flashbacks and walk, Abby and Owen have flashbacks and walk. By the end of the game, I had begun to hate the aquarium. Just let me skip this shit on NG+. This shouldnt be hard to code. Ive seen it done before in other games. I love how RE4 lets you skip comms.
Well if you put a gun to my head I would play ironwood over the UC4 sections lol.

Overall I agree with you but I think we need to be accurate with our critique. The main problem for me at least is Atreus gameplay 1st and then the overall pacing 2nd.

Ironwood aside I enjoyed ragnaroks pacing for a first playthrough at least. I Basically agree with everything you said about skipping slow moments especially on a 2nd playthrough.

Saying that I don't want relentless combat a good mix of combat, exploration and story is best. As you said the Crater is pretty good and RE4 remake holds a pretty good balance.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It’s not totally marvel just because it has quips
It's totally Marvel. Are there characters in Marvel called Thor, Loki, Odin and Heimdall? SEE!!! ALL MARVEL CHARACTERS! Marvel should sue Sony for stealing their characters 😂😂

While we are on the topic, I think we should cancel Sony for whitewashing Heimdall in Ragnarok. He is a black man who looks like Idris Elba.

Edit: forgot the /s

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Seems people are fairly divided on this one...very strange given the critical reception.

GoW 2018 I though was an OK game, I had my fun with it but it was boring at times and too much recycling of enemies. Also the behind the shoulder combat felt kinda awkward/restricting compared to the originals.

I thought Ragnarok was an improvement in every way, no? As for NG+ I rarely do it, but I do like a little endgame dungeons and hidden bosses, which seems it already had some of.

I suppose this makes the PS5 a bit less of an attractive purchase for me given I have a PC. Back in the day I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, well worth it for me. But this gen seems Sony is very invested into these cinematic experiences that may not be for everyone, I don't know that there has been a "killer app" that can sell consoles yet. Just have to be patient to get the exclusives on PC, very thankful they went in this direction, as I do like the occasional immersive cinematic game.

Certinty

Nah man, I would rather stare at a turned off TV for hours than replay this game. First hour or so is good then the rest of the game is so boring beyond belief. Don't even get me started how awful and lacklustre the final few hours are when they should have been some of the most epic moments in the series.

Sounds as bad as the first GOW from the replies. The first was way too long for a GOW game. It felt a bit meh playing it, also. Think I'll give GOW2 a miss.
The first one was a lot better imo. Especially if you play it through on easy mode it feels closer to the original GOW games in terms of pacing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I suggest you realize that just maybe the majority of people have a different opinion on GoW Ragnarok than you

Even with it getting review bombed for being exclusive, the people still voted it #1

qIlSRiv.jpg
As I have stated time and again, anyone who runs to Metacritic as an example of anything is either a console warrior or a child who needs validation on their purchase decisions.

That also isn’t even 0.1% of the total player base. Try again.

I liked Ragnarok. But I loved 2018. Ragnarok wasn't a bad game, but it was a very long one, and I fought my way to the Platinum in it. The thing is, while I had a good time and have no regrets about the time I spent with it--about 100 hours--I have no desire to go back to it. It was very good, but it didn't reach great levels.

I would sum up my feelings in a single, honest sentence.

God Of War: Ragnarok constantly reminded me of how awesome God Of War (2018) was.

Hobbygaming

As I have stated time and again, anyone who runs to Metacritic as an example of anything is either a console warrior or a child who needs validation on their purchase decisions.

That also isn’t even 0.1% of the total player base. Try again.
I could just link the many outstanding review totals from different places Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Amazon, Gamestop but I'll let you look them up and see how tons of people disagree with your views on this game

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I could just link the many outstanding review totals from different places Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Amazon, Gamestop but I'll let you look them up and see how tons of people disagree with your views on this game

You are just sad now, mate. You are only further proving how much of a warrior you really are. You have no ability to discuss views of your own and have to run to random other people to bolster your opinion as some inane gotcha.

Do better. Or just play games and stop trying to console war. Either one works for me.

DrFigs

I tried playing on give me god of war new game plus. It's way way too easy. I'm not sure what they could've done differently though.

Hobbygaming

You are just sad now, mate. You are only further proving how much of a warrior you really are. You have no ability to discuss views of your own and have to run to random other people to bolster your opinion as some inane gotcha.

Do better. Or just play games and stop trying to console war. Either one works for me.
As if I haven't already spoke on what I like about the game

Sure Jan GIF

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It's a fucking awful game, when you FINALLY get a good pace and FUN with Kratos they say, "HOLD UP, TOO MUCH FUN, here's the stupid squirt with his shitty gameplay".

Also the story is Marvel(which is pure shit)/Soap Opera bad, the characters doing the dumbest shit also they made Kratos into Drax(Gunn's moron Drax) from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also if you constantly hear the helper line "BEHIND YOU" there's an issue with your camera and combat setup.
Can we trade tags? This post makes you worthy of mine.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
As if I haven't already spoke on what I like about the game

Sure Jan GIF

Yet you constantly cry and run to Metacritic whenever anyone is critical of the game. Come off it, warrior. An adult would just shrug and say "Oh well, sorry you didn't love/like the game" and move on. I would suggest you try doing that for once.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Ragnarok is great, the only thing i dislike is the pacing on certain parts like ironwood.
Tbh, not a fan of playing as atreus.

Top Bottom