• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Collection: |OT| Of It's Only Just The Beginning

Classic24

Banned
picked this up back in march, GoW2 was definitely better than GoW1 and less frustrating also, GoW3 had the best combat and graphics, but maybe GoW2 had the best overall package.......

NIGHT-

Anyone else encounter this bug? I walked into a room and my whole screen goes black, I can still hear my characters audio and control him, just can't see anything. I've tried reloading the save but I keep getting the same bug at the same room. I hope I don't have to start from scratch =[

I'm stuck at the end

I'm at the part where you have to protect your family from the clones but I can't for the life of me beat it. I'm on god mode and I've beaten on this on ps2 when it came out but now I can't. Any advice on what to do? I have like no magic left so I can't use any of that. :/

Any help?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there really no subtitles for these?

SMH @ last generation and not being inclusive.

NIGHT- said:
Anyone else encounter this bug? I walked into a room and my whole screen goes black, I can still hear my characters audio and control him, just can't see anything. I've tried reloading the save but I keep getting the same bug at the same room. I hope I don't have to start from scratch =[

Sounds like you just need to turn your tv on and not just your audio. I keed but that does suck.

NIGHT- said:

Are you playing GOW2? That game had a lot of bugs.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm stuck at the end

I'm at the part where you have to protect your family from the clones but I can't for the life of me beat it. I'm on god mode and I've beaten on this on ps2 when it came out but now I can't. Any advice on what to do? I have like no magic left so I can't use any of that. :/

Any help?

If you don't have magic you need to go back to your last save and make sure you do. On God mode it's an essential part of the strategy (which can be found on Gamefaqs so I won't repeat it here). It's been a while since I've played, but I assumed your health and magic are refilled right before that fight. Is that not the case?

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If you don't have magic you need to go back to your last save and make sure you do. On God mode it's an essential part of the strategy (which can be found on Gamefaqs so I won't repeat it here). It's been a while since I've played, but I assumed your health and magic are refilled right before that fight. Is that not the case?
Well there's the three parts, that being the second but before it starts there are 2 chests. Guess I'll reload then.

edbrat

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I still can't beat it, it lasts way too long. Fucking hell.

searched for this thread to make exactly the same complaint! Trying to beat it on hard and its kicking my ass. I only have around a third magic, looks like I will have to go back and fight
ares
again and make sure I finish the fight with full magic juice godamnit!

my ps3 took pity on me and crashed after around 90mins trying to get past this bastard stage, think i am giving up and going onto GoW2. Loved pandoras rings tho, great game. DAMNIT MUST COMPLETE MUST NOT GIVE UP!

I'm surprised I kept this off my radar for so long. I just finished GOWII this afternoon, and it seals the deal of this collection as a fantastic value. I can't believe the presentation and production values throughout the entire experience. Playing the original GOW puts a lot of modern games to shame in that regard, and the HD upgrade is extremely well-done.

I'm also a big fan of the gameplay, even if it is less complex than other action games. The real meat is in the Challenge of the Gods/Titans, and challenge is an apt description. I swear, the final challenge on both games were exercises in frustration, but it really shows that your progression throughout the game and mastery of the mechanics culminates in what is basically a 2-5 minute slice of the game.

I think I need a break before GOWIII, but I can finally see what all the fuss is about with this series.

Carnby

gogogow said:
The Asian version has a much and much better box art.

ouwd8n.jpg

i ordered the Asian version this week, solely for the reason that the cover is better. i have a question to those who own this version. are the trophies in English?

my copy of Red Seeds Profile (ps3 version of Deadly Premonition) has Japanese trophies, so i have no idea which ones i have and don't have.

... that was so close to the end too, awful design choice.

Overall I really enjoyed the first game, though. It didn't amaze me like God of War 3 did (partially because of the tech, partially because that was the first game in the franchise I had played) but it was still thoroughly entertaining.

I'm going to wait a bit before I play 2 to make sure I don't burn out on it, but I look forward to it. I hear most people think it's better than the first.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
God 2 is a really important, well made game.

God 3 is like a shitty cover of God 2.

jaekwon15 said:
i ordered the Asian version this week, solely for the reason that the cover is better. i have a question to those who own this version. are the trophies in English?

my copy of Red Seeds Profile (ps3 version of Deadly Premonition) has Japanese trophies, so i have no idea which ones i have and don't have.

Trophies are indeed in English.

Edit: Hmm, you're banned... well I will assume you'll see this... unless you're IP banned somehow. :lol

Well I didn't hold off long and started God of War 2 yesterday... and completed it this morning.

Amazing game. Great pacing, set pieces, settings and puzzles all mixed with an interesting narrative and wonderful visuals. Seriously, at times this looked like it was an early current gen game, not an upscaled PS2 game.

2 > 3 > 1.

I kinda wish I didn't play 3 before I picked up the collection now because 2 ended on such an amazing moment and the start of 3 had no impact on me whatsoever compared to how I would've felt if I put the disc in now.

Completely converted to the franchise.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Foliorum Viridum said:
Well I didn't hold off long and started God of War 2 yesterday... and completed it this morning.

Amazing game. Great pacing, set pieces, settings and puzzles all mixed with an interesting narrative and wonderful visuals. Seriously, at times this looked like it was an early current gen game, not an upscaled PS2 game.

2 > 3 > 1.

I kinda wish I didn't play 3 before I picked up the collection now because 2 ended on such an amazing moment and the start of 3 had no impact on me whatsoever compared to how I would've felt if I put the disc in now.

Completely converted to the franchise.

If you have the chance, you should play Ghost of Sparta too. It's great. Chains of Olympus has a pretty decent story, but is otherwise kinda so-so.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Rez said:
God 2 is a really important, well made game.

God 3 is like a shitty cover of God 2.

Interesting. I played them all in order, on GOW Collection and I thought 3 was the best. The graphics and smooth game play I thought was leaps and bounds better than GOW1&2. I sold GOW Collection but I'm keeping GOW 3.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Story and continuity wise, is playing GOW 3 before GOW2 integral to the experience? I finished GOW1 back when it was released. I borrowed GOW2 from a friend of mine not long after release, and I only got half-ways through the game or so before I got stuck for some odd reason, before I returned the game. A couple of years passed, I found GOW2 cheap, and I still have it unfinished shrink-wrapped in my shelf.

When I bought GOW collection it with the intention of finally playing through GOW2 before GOW3 came out, but games were released and time was spent on other games, and I didn't buy GOW3 because of this until now, when I found it really cheap (for 79kr, which would be slightly less than $15). Since I still haven't finished GOW2 I haven't started it yet.

I really have an issue with these kind of dilemmas. I recently bought Starcraft II for the very first time, and I only played the first mission before I realised that maybe i should play the first game first, because jumping into it without knowledge of past events in the story just doesn't seem right.

Guess I just have to play games in order (preferably chronological) - it just doesn't feel right if I don't.

I understood and enjoyed 3 despite it being my first game in the series, but like I said, I feel it would have been a much better experience in the beginning if I had lead in to it from 2.

Combichristoffersen

The GoW 3 intro features an animated recap of the happenings in GoW 1 and 2, so you don't have to play GoW 1 and 2 before playing GoW 3, but I'd definitely recommend you to do so.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Of course the graphics in 3 are superior, it's like night and day there, but that's a bit of an unfair comparison, isn't it?

GoW3 combat is also refinement of previous GoW so I also like the combat better in GoW3. the main debate here is set pieces, variety, pacing and story. and well, everyone have their own opinion about that.

imo, GoW2 have the best variety(environment or boss battles they have it all) and pacing, but I don't really like the story and as a whole, GoW3 is much more memorable to me. maybe it's the graphic, but GoW3 is very memorable to me.

Combichristoffersen said:
The GoW 3 intro features an animated recap of the happenings in GoW 1 and 2, so you don't have to play GoW 1 and 2 before playing GoW 3, but I'd definitely recommend you to do so.

It's not really much of a recap though, beyond 'here's some Greek stuff that Kratos has murdered'.

I imagine playing GoW3 right after beating GoW2 to be pretty awesome. I hate it so much when after beating GoW2, I realize I have to wait for years before I find out how it ends.

onken

GoW 2 has a better story, but the actual levels/game was more fun in GoW1. Loved 3 though, quite hard to rank them.

Biggzy

dyergram said:
Worse part of GOW1 has to be the spike pit I never managed to do that legitimately god bless youtube vids!

Got mine first play through, didn’t realise there was a trophy for it until i got it. You could say i was one of the lucky ones ;).

Combichristoffersen

onken said:
GoW 2 has a better story, but the actual levels/game was more fun in GoW1. Loved 3 though, quite hard to rank them.

Madness. If anything it's completely opposite, with GoW 1 having the best story and GoW 2 having the best levels.

thcsquad

Playing God of War I (as well as any God of War game past the GOWIII demo) for the first time in this collection. I'm pretty blown away by it so far. I can see why this was such a big deal when it came out.

Just finished the
Challenge of Hades
. The beam section was infinitely hard until I realized you could jump to avoid the blade arms. The boss of that section was also pretty hard until I learned to just stick to the sides so his grab attack misses you. I know you can jump to avoid it, but timing that is a bitch considering how long your attack animations take.

Once I got the
Sword of Artemis, Blades of Chaos
seemed useless up until I upgraded it to level 5. Now it's ridiculous. Even
Army of Hades doesn't seem as good as
Poseidon's Rage
, though. It's still my goto magic for pretty much any battle.

thcsquad

Machado said:
spoiler tags?????

The names of weapons are spoilers now? I tagged it, but if my post constituted spoilers you should probably avoid the rest of the thread because it's filled with untagged spoilers.

Combichristoffersen said:
Madness. If anything it's completely opposite, with GoW 1 having the best story and GoW 2 having the best levels.

GOW 1 has the best story (BY FAR)

GOW 2 has the best levels, bosses, weapons

GOW 3 has the best graphics, weapon selection, combat system

Hey I thought people who like this thread might be interested to know that the POP HD Trilogy is in stores now as well (40$). Picked it up yesterday and I'm about half way through SOT. Really nice looking port, audio doesn't seem very good but I don't remember if it was like that before or not... no glitches or game stopping issues so far.

Carnby

Leshita said:
Trophies are indeed in English.

Edit: Hmm, you're banned... well I will assume you'll see this... unless you're IP banned somehow. :lol
Thanks for the response! ....It was a 2 week ban. I`m back now, and I learned my lesson.

KAL2006

Banned
Just finished the first game. I'll be honest I thought it was average, maybe because I played it not long after Ninja Gaiden Sigma, the combat is just not as good. However I liked the epic and cinematic scenery of the game. It's just there are some parts of the game that drag this game down a lot (especially the last underground dungeon with all the spikes). I also hate parts where you have to mash buttons fast, as I suck at doing that, I suck at mashing buttons fans which is why I struggled with the first Hydra Boss and the Final battle which both fights required me to do this.

Anyways I will play GoW2 some time in the future, does the game improve on the first, if so what does it improve on and what can I expect

Top Bottom