• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLOW |OT| The highest rated wrestling program on television - Netflix June 23rd

Blackhead

Redarse
The episodes range from 29 to 36 minutes.

Just finished the first episode, it's great. The final scene is amazing.

That final scene kinda turned me off the show? The first episode was great until that point then I remember that I don't actually like watching wrestling and I like women's wrestling even less for that titillation nonsense. On the other hand a reason I don't like wrestling is because the wrestlers aren't believable actors but Alison Brie always delivers and I just saw Betty Gilpin steal a couple scenes in American Gods. But then I watching good actors acting as bad actors in a fake tv show... *head explodes*

DeathyBoy

Banned
That final scene kinda turned me off the show? The first episode was great until that point then I remember that I don't actually like watching wrestling and I like women's wrestling even less for that titillation nonsense. On the other hand a reason I don't like wrestling is because the wrestlers aren't believable actors but Alison Brie always delivers and I just saw Betty Gilpin steal a couple scenes in American Gods. But then I watching good actors acting as bad actors in a fake tv show... *head explodes*

Watch better wrestling.

THE FUCK YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T LIKE THE FINAL SCENE OF EP 1

RUTH IS A NO GOOD HOMEWRECKER AND THEN SAM HAS A COKE-FUELED EPIPHANY WITH SEPARATE WAYS PLAYING

Blackhead

Redarse
Watch better wrestling.

Real wrestling, UFC, Boxing, Hockey, American Football, a netflix show about fake women's wrestling are all more entertaining than watching WWF or whatever counts for 'better wrestling' these days

THE FUCK YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T LIKE THE FINAL SCENE OF EP 1

RUTH IS A NO GOOD HOMEWRECKER AND THEN SAM HAS A COKE-FUELED EPIPHANY WITH SEPARATE WAYS PLAYING

COKE-FUELED EPIPHANY is good scene just reminded me that i don't actually like the core conceit of the show

I find it weird that the comradery thing is even a critique, given some of them clearly don't like each other.
I guess with the over the top nature of wrestling the friction between characters you would expect it to be more exaggerated between more than just the two main wrestlers.

For the most part they all work towards the same goal without backstabbing stabbing or colluding that a lot of women ensembles tend to fall into various tropes or cliches.

There's a very children sports team movie feel to the cast like a collection of underdogs or outcasts setting aside their differences for one goal.

Fury451

Banned
I actually liked that the characters more or less get along. Conflict is drama yes, but none of the conflict was manufactured or unnecessary here, and everybody kind of understands that it's a team effort. Anything that did come up arose out of natural character stuff.

This show avoided so many dull cliches, especially with Sam and Bash. The cliches it did use were done in a way that's fun.

The weakest stuff was with the husband by far. It's like they were teasing him becoming a better person but he was still a dick. Not sure if I should be rooting for that to work out or not because it was a pretty mixed message. Definitely don't like the character though.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The seeds of discord have been sown though in a couple of arcs. Season 2 should interesting in that regard. Everyone here were too preoccupied with getting Glow off the ground to be catty and petty.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Real wrestling, UFC, Boxing, Hockey, American Football, a netflix show about fake women's wrestling are all more entertaining than watching WWF or whatever counts for 'better wrestling' these days

I'll take Owens vs AJ over all of that, save for GLOW. But I don't get a hard on complaining about WWE.

Also the person who asked about better wrestler - Tyler Bates vs Pete Dunne is as good a form of storytelling as you'll find. But it does require not being a smark.

Amir0x

Banned
I think wrestling is lame as fuck and still enjoyed this show. I do have a few issues with its execution, particularly in how it dealt with the use of offensive stereotype characters. I think another season might iron it out, because right at the <final ep spoilers>
end they finally start showing the consequences of wielding those stereotypes so recklessly with the Beirut and Britannica fight, but it was like dipping the toe rather than resolution. So hopefully next season delves deeper there.

Also did anyone else get a Bojack Horseman feel from Sam?

Bronx-Man

Banned
Just finished the season, it was pretty dope. Can't wait to see which wrasslers pop up next season.

Welfare Queen getting the crown is totally something Dusty would've booked

I think wrestling is lame as fuck and still enjoyed this show. I do have a few issues with its execution, particularly in how it dealt with the use of offensive stereotype characters. I think another season might iron it out, because right at the <final ep spoilers>
end they finally start showing the consequences of wielding those stereotypes so recklessly with the Beirut and Britannica fight, but it was like dipping the toe rather than resolution. So hopefully next season delves deeper there.

Also did anyone else get a Bojack Horseman feel from Sam?

Honestly, my issue is the opposite. It's the mid-80s, but this show is so obviously written for 2017. The social justice vocabulary they're using just wasn't so widespread and accepted that you could drop it into conversation all the time. Those ideas existed, but only achieved cultural saturation during the smartphone era.

The show plays with that a little, but then falls over itself to assure the audience that everyone in the 80s knows the 80s are immoral and wrong. (spoiler for reality: they didn't.) I mean I get it, they wanted to write this as an empowering fairy tale, and it would fall flat if they didn't play to the assumptions of their audience. But it also rings hollow to the time period.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode 9 Spoiler:
"It's a semi autobiographical psychosexual time travel drama." Lmao, that line gave me a flashback to a script a friend of mine was pitching.

Pretty good show. I like it, don't love it. The episodes don't overstay their welcome, which is usually a huge problem with these Netflix Originals. I'm usually screaming "cut the scene already!" at my TV by this point, but I haven't done that here.

The whole cast is incredibly charming. Some of the characters sorta just coast on their individual quirks. But I can live with that since this is only 10 episodes with a 30 min runtime.

Also, it's nice to see more of Betty Gilpin so soon after her wonderful scenes in American Gods.

Chase17

Harry Crane and Trudy?

Enjoyed the show a lot. Welfare queen probably made me laugh more than it should. Ruth was hilarious throughout. Sam is pretty well cast. All around cast was pretty good. Will be in for a S2.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm fine with how the show has handled the stereotypes. They acknowledged them, both the show and the characters themselves and they poke fun of it and push back as much as could be expected from the 80s. I don't expect much more from a period piece comedy based on a real thing.

I don't think the show is that interested in trying to seriously dissect issues, the darkest the show gets is in the first two episodes and that didn't really work. Near the end they have the
abortion
and even that the real take away is the character stuff between Ruth and Sam. They're putting character and comedy first generally and that's where the show shines.

What annoys me more is that most of the characters are pretty one dimensional and based around those stereotypes. Ruth, Debbie and Sam are the leads. Every other character has a wrestling stereotype, but really they're like the opposite and that's about the extent of their characterization. It's to be expected with a cast this size I suppose, but it's hard to invest too much when most character's arcs can be summed up in two sentences.

This show was great! I ended up binging the whole season in one day. The characters are very endearing and the storyline, while not the most original or outrageous, kept me invested from start to finish. Highly recommended!

Just finished the show, where's my season 2?
My favourite character is Melrose, surprisingly. She's hilarious. I like Ruth as well, even if some people don't.

I wish Arthie has more lines, she seems charming. The show hasn't explored a lot of other characters in the cast either.

Some bits in the show were really uncomfortable though, like ep2
the miscarriage
, and the wrestler personalities.

I loved it!!! Like Chewing Gum, i ran through the first season in less than a day.

Ruth
, as flawed as she was,
is adorable. And the entire cast is fun.

HotHamBoy

Watched the first three eps today. Pretty cool to see how Marc Maron has grown as an actor, he is perfect for this role.

I had the same thought. I remember how bad he was in season 1 of Maron. That show has done wonders for him.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to see him live DO IT. Saw him in Bloomington, IN and he made my tummy hurt.

HotHamBoy

I gave up on the show because the premise was too ridiculous. I just couldn't get over women just accepting to being sex slaves and men being all right with it, only after a few years.

Do you accept men with spider powers and laser swords?

That's called willing suspension of disbelief.

Do you accept the genocide of 6,000,000 Jews right under everyone's nose?

History is full of seemingly impossible tragedies and horrors.

Anyway, people never just "accept" being slaves. And it's not that all women are sex slaves, it's the select few capable of bearing children for a world where most women can't. They have installed all these rules and rituals, they aren't just being fucked whenever.

These women don't accept it, they have guns to their heads. The subjugation of women is really not that farfetched...

Clipjoint

I only have episode 10, the last one, left to watch now.

It's been a good show. Not a great show. It was funnier at the start. I don't like the Jenji Cohan style of making all the women best friends when it comes down to it. It feels kind of forced - there are moments when the women kind of pull together or even just hang out when they don't have to and I don't buy that some of these women would even like each other a little bit. It feels like it's written from the perspective of one type of woman, and they just kind of assume all women are really like that and they give everyone different aesthetics and ethnicities to cover up how samey the characters really are. The show can actually be pretty cloying - nowhere near as cloying as OITNB can be at times, but it's still there and it annoys me.

I wish the show was a bit more fun than it has been the past couple of episodes. Spoilers for ep 8:
Ruth getting pregnant and having an abortion didn't really do anything for mel. I just thought 'oh, okay we're doing that storyline now.'. I mean, it isn't fun, it isn't really interesting how they do it, just kind of boilerplate. I did at least appreciate that it was brief, she made her mind up quickly and we got a nice bonding scene between her and Sam. But it just felt a bit rote - this is a show about women so we better do an abortion storyline very fast. Also, Debbie's martial drama is boring. I don't give a fuck about her husband, I want to see the show get put together and the relationships between the women and the producers. I don't want long scenes where they try to 'make it work'. I feel like these two storylines came at the expense of the stuff I really liked about the first few episodes.

Those are just some complaints though. Overall I like the show and I like Marc Maron and Alison Brie's performances very much. They're holding it all together - Betty Gilpin is good too, but I feel like her character is stuck in a bit of a rut right now and hasn't been as well defined - maybe in season 2. In season 2, I'd also like a bit more focus on the actual making of the show and the motivations of the other women, most of them still feel like cartoon characters.

This mirrors how I felt about the show. It has all of the strengths and all of the weaknesses of a Jenji Kohan series, for better of for worse. Given her track record, that usually means 1 or 2 good seasons until the characters turn into caricatures of themselves. We'll see if that happens here or not.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished binging on the whole season and man, I really like this show.

The soundtrack is on point and all of the characters are interesting. So far, I don't hate anyone on the show and that's a rare thing for me, haha.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I finished it. Loved it. Especially the last episode. The whole thing really comes together in the end. The characters were great and I thought their wrestling personas were too. The only ones I didn't care for were the old ladies.

Can't wait for S2.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I really hate that feeling when you finish a show and you realize there isn't a next episode. :(

I'm looking at shows on Netflix to find something new to watch and I really just want more of this show, haha. I'm kind of tempted to just start it over.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Might even make a movie about it involving time travel.

1818.png

I'm glad someone got that, haha

Epcott

Finished! Loved episode 10. Took me a moment to realize Debbie's actor played on American Gods as Dead Wife's buddy
who also coincidentally slept with her husband.
From the get go I feared it wouldn't live up to the hype I had for it, but the last episode put that fear at ease.

For half the series I thought Justine was Flaca from OITNB

Same... I had to look her up on IMDB.

Don't make me come out there! I'll fuck you up, baldy. You too Greg Allman.

The ref continues to kill me. He's such a perfect compliment to everything in the ring.

Beeks

Once you finish GLOW, fire up Lucha Underground on Netflix to see some actual better wrestling.

Top Bottom