• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.biz] Nier Replicant debuts at #1 in the UK (89% of sales on PlayStation)

PS4 version in the US alone outsold the total amount of the Xbox version in all regions.
Now we need to apply to the amount of sold consoles. I wonder if Xbox owners are more likely to have PS5 or PC too.

Game is not on Gamepass. So, Xbox gamers are paying the full price if they want Nier
Nah, they will just play something else. Backlogs are full.
You better hope Phil continues to throw the cheque book around with reckless abandon because if Xbox gamers keep this up it will be more economically viable for devs to skip Xbox entirely for the initial launch and only do the Xbox port once Phil comes begging with a bag of cash.
Nah, more games will come to Game Pass and they will come more often. That's inevitable. Not to mention Playstation owners will foot the bill anyway.
When your worship of gamepass is above your desire to play the games you want then you should probably question what your priorities are.
You are not the true gamer if you don't pay the full price at launch (GHG) #4ThePayers

I mean people were complaining that MLB came to Game Pass Day 1 and blamed MLB for that (and not Sony) so...And even advocated how it was great for Sony to prevent RE Village from coming on Game Pass because people wouldn't pay the full price for the game then.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Now we need to apply to the amount of sold consoles. I wonder if Xbox owners are more likely to have PS5 or PC too.

Nah, they will just play something else. Backlogs are full.

Nah, more games will come to Game Pass and they will come more often. That's inevitable. Not to mention Playstation owners will foot the bill anyway.

You are not the true gamer if you don't pay the full price at launch (GHG) #4ThePayers

I mean people were complaining that MLB came to Game Pass Day 1 and blamed MLB for that (and not Sony) so...And even advocated how it is great for Sony to prevent RE Village from coming on Game Pass because people won't pay the full price for the game then.

The only reason people complained about MLB not being on PS Now day one (or at the very least PS+) is due to the disparity considering the game is actually developed by a PlayStation studio.

I didn't say anything about buying the game day one. The problem comes in when you decide to wait for an undefined period of time for a game that you actually want to play to come to gamepass instead of simply purchasing it. There's no guarantee every game will land on the service. You can argue in the meantime there's plenty to play on gamepass so that could "soften the blow" but there's a stark difference between playing something that you actually want to play at a particular point in time and just playing something because it's available. I liken it to going to the cinema to watch something specific at a particular time vs staying at home, firing up Netflix and then browsing for something random to watch. The general activity is the same but the experience and level of satisfaction are world's apart.

If you're saying that playstation owners foot the bill then you'd also be saying PC (and even switch owners where applicable) would be footing the bill. Quite frankly that is bollocks and horribly naive. The only company footing the bill for Xbox games that end up on Gamepass is Microsoft.

Plenty of people have backlogs of some sort (whether "full" or not) but time and time again we've seen people toss those to one side to play a new game they really want to play. Again, it comes down to playing something just because vs setting aside time and money to play something you really want to.

Now if you're going to tell me that the reason for the sales disparity in this instance is because most Xbox gamers don't want to play Nier then that's fine, it's a matter of taste in that case. However if people are not buying games anymore (and a pattern is starting to emerge here) because they are "waiting" for games to come to gamepass then there's a larger problem at play and those people are not sending a positive signal to publishers and developers.

"Gamepass or bust" is a silly hill to die on and it has the potential to eventually result in a scenario where companies will be hesitant to develop for a platform where new game sales are drying up.

It is a interesting release to be fair.
IMO it is a better game than Automata.
And selling less is not a bad thing because it is not a new game but just a port... I won’t buy or play it again for example and I was a fan of the game on PS3.
Nier series is something special AND I REALLY want it to continue. I can buy you a copy...the white snow edition pehaps? You can sell it later and make a profit and a new convert...:)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Nier series is something special AND I REALLY want it to continue. I can buy you a copy...the white snow edition pehaps? You can sell it later and make a profit and a new convert...:)
❤️

I have the game yet on PS3... the box is still in perfect condition because I don’t resell my games.

Maybe you can gift another guy that never played it... I played, loved and did all endings (well the ones I know exists).

Guilty_AI

When you read something like this and see that a single platform is contributing close to 90% of all sales, you can quickly see why Sony has and will continue to have an easier time getting timed exclusivity on games in the future.
This doesn't account for digital sales though. That pretty much excludes the entirety of the PC platform, which is also a heavy contributor these days.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can we dream with a Nier 3?
I think its time for Drakengard 4 and...

A3qPNCW.png

Quitre frankly japanese publishers are wasting effort releasing on xbox with a standalone release, just wait for phil spencer to come port begging.

Phil Spencer doesn't seem to care much about niche Japanese games. I don't expect a return to the glorious early 360 days any time soon.

I think a lot of XBox gamers have been conditioned to wait for games to come to Gamepass eventually rather than paying full price on day 1.
I'm not sure. Lots of games are still sold at full price despite everyone knows that prices drop in sometimes as little as 2 months. No conditioning there.

Spacefish

That explains why there is not gonna be Great Ace Attorney on Xbox.
That's more to do with ace attorney trilogy selling like shit on Xbox. out of over 800k sales only 5 or 6k were sold on Xbox. On both Capcom and Microsoft side its obvious the audience wasn't there.

AmuroChan

I'm not sure. Lots of games are still sold at full price despite everyone knows that prices drop in sometimes as little as 2 months. No conditioning there.

Dropping in price is not the same thing as the game coming to GP. The former you still have to pay money. If you have GP, games that get added to the service don't cost you a cent. It's definitely conditioned me on the Xbox side. I will only play the games that are on GP. As long as GP exists, I don't see myself ever purchasing another Xbox game at full price.

Spacefish

Thats the point, niche Japanese games just don't sell well in Xbox and Phil Spencer stopped caring about them.

If Automata wasn't popular then there was a good chance Replicant wouldn't released on Xbox.
depends on your definition of niche, Phoenix wright is niche even on Nintendo consoles where it sells literally over 100x better. There's niche and then there's non existent, pretty much no platform actively courts the really obscure Japanese stuff, it just appears on whatever system is most popular in japan at the time. I can see Xbox still caring about mid level Japanese games but it's not like they have the final say on what goes where, its up to the developer to choose their market.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
depends on your definition of niche, Phoenix wright is niche even on Nintendo consoles where it sells literally over 100x better. There's niche and then there's non existent, pretty much no platform actively courts the really obscure Japanese stuff, it just appears on whatever system is most popular in japan at the time. I can see Xbox still caring about mid level Japanese games but it's not like they have the final say on what goes where, its up to the developer to choose their market.
giphy.gif

I wonder if Square is having second thoughts on selling the company to MS. I guess sales won’t matter anymore.
Sales and profit are to different thing you can sell alot but barely make any profit wile the money you get upfront from deals is way better.

Here’s the 🥶 hard truth folks. Xbox is too 🇺🇸 for the rest of the world. Something about their image that screams ‘Murica (f*** yeah)! And even in US that doesn’t sit well with many people. Naturally, UK is most friendly European country because they are most Americanized (oh the irony). Everyone loves Iphone though so it must be something about Microsoft’s marketing department that continues to underachieve and outright fail again and again.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The only reason people complained about MLB not being on PS Now day one (or at the very least PS+) is due to the disparity considering the game is actually developed by a PlayStation studio.

I didn't say anything about buying the game day one. The problem comes in when you decide to wait for an undefined period of time for a game that you actually want to play to come to gamepass instead of simply purchasing it. There's no guarantee every game will land on the service. You can argue in the meantime there's plenty to play on gamepass so that could "soften the blow" but there's a stark difference between playing something that you actually want to play at a particular point in time and just playing something because it's available. I liken it to going to the cinema to watch something specific at a particular time vs staying at home, firing up Netflix and then browsing for something random to watch. The general activity is the same but the experience and level of satisfaction are world's apart.

If you're saying that playstation owners foot the bill then you'd also be saying PC (and even switch owners where applicable) would be footing the bill. Quite frankly that is bollocks and horribly naive. The only company footing the bill for Xbox games that end up on Gamepass is Microsoft.

Plenty of people have backlogs of some sort (whether "full" or not) but time and time again we've seen people toss those to one side to play a new game they really want to play. Again, it comes down to playing something just because vs setting aside time and money to play something you really want to.

Now if you're going to tell me that the reason for the sales disparity in this instance is because most Xbox gamers don't want to play Nier then that's fine, it's a matter of taste in that case. However if people are not buying games anymore (and a pattern is starting to emerge here) because they are "waiting" for games to come to gamepass then there's a larger problem at play and those people are not sending a positive signal to publishers and developers.

"Gamepass or bust" is a silly hill to die on and it has the potential to eventually result in a scenario where companies will be hesitant to develop for a platform where new game sales are drying up.
That's the thing.

Right now, I have a huge backlog of games -- including some awesome critically-acclaimed games that I haven't played yet, e.g., Bioshock 1, 2, 3, Deus Ex: MD, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Final Fantasy VII Remake, etc.

But I really want to play Returnal and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart right now. So I will most likely buy those games at full price. Because if I play my backlog, I won't be enjoying those games and would be just thinking about those two games that I really want to play.

And these stats are not encouraging signs for Xbox at all. At this rate, it may become more profitable for some developers to actually skip the Xbox version altogether, make a timed-exclusivity deal with PlayStation (get that money), and then just wait for Phil Spencer to ask for a port and a Gamepass version, for which the developers can charge a premium once again.

While it may seem a win-win situation for both Xbox gamers and the developers in the short term, realistically for how long Phil and Xbox will be able to afford that? He certainly can't do that with all games. Sooner or later, he will run out of his budget (because Xbox still isn't profitable), which will just result into even fewer games for Xbox gamers. This lack of serious competition will also hurt PS and PS gamers.

I hope Xbox fans look past Gamepass and support more developers by buying games they really want to play. It's a two-way street where both devs and consumers support each other to keep the industry running.

Kagey K

Banned
Thats the point, niche Japanese games just don't sell well in Xbox and Phil Spencer stopped caring about them.

If Automata wasn't popular then there was a good chance Replicant wouldn't released on Xbox.
Doesn’t look like they sell well anywhere.

The OP omitted an important quote from this article.

They could have likely made more money from a Gamepass deal, than these boxed sales in the UK would ever account for.
Ultimately, it's a very quiet week for the boxed games market. Just 137,000 physical games were sold last week across the UK. It's so quiet that there's even a PC game in the Top Ten. Football Manager 2021, which sells primarily on digital platforms, is at No.6 after a 66% sales increase. The game benefitted from a £20 price promotion at UK retailers (namely, Currys).
Why didn’t you include this in the OP AlexxKidd AlexxKidd ?

Last edited:

modiz

Still no digital sales from GI.biz so still no relevant data to even start discussing. At least they get the clcks still, I guess.

Kagey K

Banned
Still no digital sales from GI.biz so still no relevant data to even start discussing. At least they get the clcks still, I guess.
They showed how relevant they are in one paragraph the op omitted.

Ultimately, it's a very quiet week for the boxed games market. Just 137,000 physical games were sold last week across the UK. It's so quiet that there's even a PC game in the Top Ten. Football Manager 2021, which sells primarily on digital platforms, is at No.6 after a 66% sales increase. The game benefitted from a £20 price promotion at UK retailers (namely, Currys).

Perhaps we need a dedicated thread for them, as they mean so little overall.

Gibiz sales thread OT. (physical only in the UK)

Last edited:

Throwback to the thread when SonyGAF creamed their pants over Hitman 3 being #1 on the UK charts, selling half of the copies on PS5 and then it turned out it was something like 7000 copies sold :messenger_beaming: NOTHING STOPS THIS TRAIN BABY!

Kagey K

Banned
Throwback to the thread when SonyGAF creamed their pants over Hitman 3 being #1 on the UK charts, selling half of the copies on PS5 and then it turned out it was something like 7000 copies sold :messenger_beaming: NOTHING STOPS THIS TRAIN BABY!
Complete domination in the market..... Just utter dominance.

How can anyone else ever compete? Look at those gigantic numbers.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don’t know why anyone puts any weight in the uk sales chart discussions. Esopeciallywith no digital data and even more so in weeks that are so slow you can hit number one with like 5 to 7 thousand sales.

rough example ....omg Sony is killing it and Xbox are going to lose Japanese support......game sold 4000 copies on playstation... reality no publisher is winning With such low sales.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I don’t know why anyone puts any weight in the uk sales chart discussions. Esopeciallywith no digital data and even more so in weeks that are so slow you can hit number one with like 5 to 7 thousand sales.

rough example ....omg Sony is killing it and Xbox are going to lose Japanese support......game sold 4000 copies on playstation... reality no publisher is winning With such low sales.
But OP told me Square is killing it with the remakes, why would other words in the same article disagree with him?

When physical PCgames are killing it, you realize just how irrelevant you are.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

The total sales volume is not the point of this discussion. It's a large enough sample size to avoid anomalies and be statistically significant.

The main point is the ratio -- the distribution of whatever sales we have b/w the two console platforms. If the ratio is true for 7,000 sales, it would most likely hold true if the game sold 10 million copies, with roughly the same percentage.

Absolute numbers do not matter in this case because sales ratio will scale independently of that.

Kagey K

Banned
The total sales volume is not the point of this discussion. It's a large enough sample size to avoid anomalies and be statistically significant.

The main point is the ratio -- the distribution of whatever sales we have b/w the two console platforms. If the ratio is true for 7,000 sales, it would most likely hold true if the game sold 10 million copies, with roughly the same percentage.

Absolute numbers do not matter in this case because sales ratio will scale independently of that.
Or.....

And it’s just hypothetical...l Are PS users more entitled, they want to be do as I say not as I do, so they are willing to break lockdown, while everyone else stays home?

Perhaps they are entitled enough, that they think they don’t matter, and will go to the store to pick up the game, while everyone else generally follows the rules.

Its right in line with thier crying and complaining when a game isn’t announced for PlayStation. So it actually could be accurate.

killatopak

Gold Member
Or.....

And it’s just hypothetical...l Are PS users more entitled, they want to be do as I say not as I do, so they are willing to break lockdown, while everyone else stays home?

Perhaps they are entitled enough, that they think they don’t matter, and will go to the store to pick up the game, while everyone else generally follows the rules.

Its right in line with thier crying and complaining when a game isn’t announced for PlayStation. So it actually could be accurate.
Delivery services exist.

Bought mine physical and didn’t even have to leave home.

Kagey K

Banned

I’m sure Square would have taken the Gamepass deal, if they saw how poorly it would sell.

Honestly they aren’t even close to recovering Costs yet, and the Series X is the best place to play it.

The Sony version is a shambles.

Imagine paying full price to play the worst version.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Neither did I and I didn‘t have to get a delivery driver.,

What do we both win? Nothing.

I have 100% full ownership of my copy. I can sell, lend, or borrow the copy. I can play it with no strings attached. No need for online certification every period of time or so. No need to pay a fee 10 years in the future just to play this.

Most importantly, I can play it NOW exactly WHEN I want to. I don’t have to beg somebody to put it on a service.

I have 100% full ownership of my copy. I can sell, lend, or borrow the copy. I can play it with no strings attached. No need for online certification every period of time or so. No need to pay a fee 10 years in the future just to play this.

Most importantly, I can play it NOW exactly WHEN I want to. I don’t have to beg somebody to put it on a service.
Sounds great. So sad that when you have Gamepass, you get your license to buy physical games revoked. Phil Spencer can't keep getting away with it.

killatopak

Gold Member
Sounds great. So sad that when you have Gamepass, you get your license to buy physical games revoked. Phil Spencer can't keep getting away with it.
Yeah.

That amounts to around 11%. Don’t go crying about timed exclusives when shit like this encouraged by gamepass and its audience.

Shit, I shouldn’t even be console warring here. I just want to celebrate NieR success and this thread devolved to another console war. sheesh.

sublimit

Banned
That's why Japanese games will always be on Playstation systems first and foremost. Even with no moneyhatting from Sony.

Top Bottom