• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.biz] Nier Replicant debuts at #1 in the UK (89% of sales on PlayStation)

That's big if. In Q2 20 75% of full game sales were digital on PS. The PS gamers spend digitally a lot

With Xbox it’s easily more. I mean going digital with Xbox is much easier and has a lot of benefits.
I can easily play Xbox games from EVERY Xbox generations.
It’s also much easier to use external storage for the digital games. You can also expand the internal storage for nextgen games etc.

With Xbox it’s easily more. I mean going digital with Xbox is much easier and has a lot of benefits.
It’s also much easier to use external storage for the digital games. You can also expand the internal storage for nextgen games etc.
Yep. In addition to that, there are a lot of disc-free last gen Xbox consoles out there. Microsoft has been pushing digital really hard, and it shows in the physical to digital ratios.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Shit, I shouldn’t even be console warring here. I just want to celebrate NieR success and this thread devolved to another console war. sheesh.
It always does....but you know what? None of it matters, NieR finally getting the recognition it deserves and I’m so fucking happy!!!

I just hope Great Ace Attorney finds great success like NieR.

Last edited:
Why do you get involved with console warring so much?

What's the point? You've been banned twice, very recently, and you still get involved in it. Don't get it at all.
Why are you so concerned with my ban history? Get another hobby :messenger_winking:

FYI, I wasn't banned for console warring.

Yep. In addition to that, there are a lot of disc-free last gen Xbox consoles out there. Microsoft has been pushing digital really hard, and it shows in the physical to digital ratios.

Nope. Just PSN alone generated more revenue than entire MS gaming division. That surely means PS user spend digitally equally or more

Nope. Just PSN alone generated more revenue than entire MS gaming division. That surely means PS user spend digitally equally or more
Spending has nothing to do with the physical to digital ratio of sales copies. For example, FIFA is 75% physical, but most of the spending is digital because of DLC.

Final Fantasy, the most Westernized of any JRPG franchise, still sells at around a 80/20 ratio on Playstation vs. Xbox.

Expecting a game like Nier Replicant, which is anything but Westernized, to somehow do better than that is absolutely silly. I mean, Square Enix was originally begged by the American office to create a version of the game which had a Conan the Barbarian main character instead of the Japanese boy/man just because they were afraid of how it would be received in the West. It's only now, 11 years later, that the West has even seen the original vision of the game's main character.

A 90/10 ratio is honestly good for Xbox in terms of a game like Nier Replicant. Compare that to Dragon Quest, which is a 100/0 ratio because it doesn't even exist on Xbox.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Why are you so concerned with my ban history? Get another hobby :messenger_winking:

FYI, I wasn't banned for console warring.
Its tiresome to see thread after thread warring and more times than not, you're very involved and everyone knows you're close to a perm. You had to beg come back from the last one by all accounts.

Edit: enough derailing. It looks a good sample size to suggest digital sales at least in UK would follow similar picture. Hope the game sells well. Deserves it.

Last edited:
Its tiresome to see thread after thread warring and more times than not, you're very involved and everyone knows you're close to a perm. You had to beg come back from the last one by all accounts.
"Everyone knows", uh-huh. You can stop backseat modding now. I also have a feeling that a moderator might be leaking information to you. I'll get in touch.

And if you're tired of warring, I told you who started it and derailed the thread. Feel free to address them (I bet you won't :messenger_winking:)

Last edited:

Mr.NiceGuy

"A lot" lol

Yeah Microsoft was killing it with XBox SAD sales, that's it! that is the reason /s

This is a page of XBox's book on how to deal with their embarrassing financial numbers which is to hide them, and if you hide them you can't disprove them.

XBox retail software sells like shit? Well that means the digital sales are gazillion billions more times than retail and more the other consoles digital too. Source? "Dude, trust me"

"A lot" lol

Yeah Microsoft was killing it with XBox SAD sales, that's it! that is the reason /s

This is a page of XBox's book on how to deal with their embarrassing financial numbers which is to hide them, and if you hide them you can't disprove them.

XBox retail software sells like shit? Well that means the digital sales are gazillion billions more times than retail and more the other consoles digital too. Source? "Dude, trust me"
I don't find their numbers embarassing at all. Revenue looks good despite clearly losing the last generation, for example.

Zeroing

Banned
Motherfuckin GTAV still selling.

We’re gonna be on PS10 and we’re still playing GTAV
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

"A lot" lol

Same crap people tried to push on ERA. Every damn time when some game sold like crap at retail on Xbox platform

Banjo64

cumsessed
Quitre frankly japanese publishers are wasting effort releasing on xbox with a standalone release, just wait for phil spencer to come port begging.
It works for me, I’d play any massive Japanese games day one on PS anyway but I’m happy to wait for the ones I’m not sure about to come to Game Pass.

Didn’t realise this series was popular in the UK. Number 1. No MH Rise in the top 10 is shocking to me.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

It works for me, I’d play any massive Japanese games day one on PS anyway but I’m happy to wait for the ones I’m not sure about to come to Game Pass.
Funny thing is that people wait for game to drop on gamepass while paying 15 euro a month. Then after a year when the game lands they have paid 180 euro for the game while ps gamers can buy the game on a sale for 30 this fall. Gamepass is NOT a cheap service imo

Banjo64

cumsessed
Funny thing is that people wait for game to drop on gamepass while paying 15 euro a month. Then after a year when the game lands they have paid 180 euro for the game while ps gamers can buy the game on a sale for 30 this fall. Gamepass is NOT a cheap service imo
I mean, I paid £121 for 3 years and have topped it up ever since using EA Play 12 month cards, which work out at £4 a month.

You can also currently buy 12 months Gold for £35 from CD Keys, which would make 3 years of Ultimate £106.

I did the same for PS Plus as well, don’t think I ever paid more than £35 a year.

Trimesh

Banned

I don't have any physical Xbox one games at all, despite being 90%+ physical on PS4. I think part of it was the realization that the way the console needed an active network connection to install the games meant that a "physical copy" on the xbox didn't mean much, and the one remaining advantage of physical games - that you can sell them - doesn't count that much for me because I typically don't sell games anyway.

TBiddy

You do realise that there are numerous other games available on Gamepass meanwhile.. right?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The total sales volume is not the point of this discussion. It's a large enough sample size to avoid anomalies and be statistically significant.

The main point is the ratio -- the distribution of whatever sales we have b/w the two console platforms. If the ratio is true for 7,000 sales, it would most likely hold true if the game sold 10 million copies, with roughly the same percentage.

Absolute numbers do not matter in this case because sales ratio will scale independently of that.

This is absolutely not true. Let's see how a big Japanese game is split. Resident evil VIII for example. Even with the insane Sony marketing behind it I expect it to be closer split of say 70 / 30 in sonys favour for physical UK sales.

If a game was a 10 million seller it would have much more awareness from consumers as a whole and absolutely would line up closer to the sales split between consoles.

Aceofspades

Banned
Lol 89% on PlayStation. What's wrong with Xbox?

Haven't you got the news? Xbox fans live in the year 2050 . They don't care about physical copies! Its all DIGITAL in their world /s

On a serious note, games are selling bad on Xbox due to way smaller userbase compared to Playstation or Switch. Xfans here will try their hardest to spin this truth.

Why do you get involved with console warring so much?

What's the point? You've been banned twice, very recently, and you still get involved in it. Don't get it at all.
It’s the classic trying to rise above it, but just comes off as the usual persecution complex as per.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This is absolutely not true. Let's see how a big Japanese game is split. Resident evil VIII for example. Even with the insane Sony marketing behind it I expect it to be closer split of say 70 / 30 in sonys favour for physical UK sales.

If a game was a 10 million seller it would have much more awareness from consumers as a whole and absolutely would line up closer to the sales split between consoles.
We don't get a lot of data like this. But we did get the data for Hitman 3, which is a big enough franchise that sells in millions. It's not even a Japanese game, but the split was 74:26 in the UK. (PS5 49%, PS4 25%, XSX + XSS 26%). As Hitman 3 also wasn't on Gamepass (nor there was any rumor of it coming on Gamepass anytime soon), this data proves my point.

For Japanese games, this ratio will undoubtedly be bigger than Hitman 3 which is a Western game through and through. So 90% for Nier (a Japanese game) seems about right. Moreover, UK is Xbox's second-biggest market, which means that disparity will be even bigger in other territories like Germany, Spain, Japan, India, etc.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Haven't you got the news? Xbox fans live in the year 2050 . They don't care about physical copies! Its all DIGITAL in their world /s

On a serious note, games are selling bad on Xbox due to way smaller userbase compared to Playstation or Switch. Xfans here will try their hardest to spin this truth.
I think it's a combination of a few different things:
  1. Low sales (smaller userbase)
  2. Hoping to get games on Gamepass instead of buying them
  3. I feel like Xbox gamers are more casual than PS5 gamers, so they don't buy or play as many games anyway.
Just my two cents.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it's a combination of a few different things:
  1. Low sales (smaller userbase)
  2. Hoping to get games on Gamepass instead of buying them
  3. I feel like Xbox gamers are more casual than PS5 gamers, so they don't buy or play as many games anyway.
Just my two cents.

I agree with point 2 but point 3 is absolutely wrong. Playstation is the console of casuals, hence its domination for two generations.

Casual gamers buy COD, Madden and FIFA etc each year. and thats where a lot of sales are on both platforms but heavily more on Playstation. Think about the actual sales numbers of a first party game on Playstation platform compared to the userbase. It's great when they hit 10-15% penetration, it really take s a mass market game like Spider man to hit above 15 million units out of a 100 million userbase.

Last edited:
Y
I've said this before, but training your userbase to not buy games may cause issues in the future. Perhaps this isn't it just yet, but give it a year or so and we really could start seeing its effects.

GamePass games will have micro transactions and DLC to offset this. Like how on smartphone games are all "free". Doesn't work well for a single player JRPG but clearly Xbox fans don't care.

Kinda sad to see people here openly hate paying for games. Don't expect that from an enthusiast forum.

Riky

$MSFT
This is another of those games where you get 6000 reward points for buying digitally through the dash, that will have some impact on disc sales.

Kerotan

Yeah ultimately there's so few Xboxs on the market compared to PlayStation. Falling slowly into irrelevance.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda sad to see people here openly hate paying for games. Don't expect that from an enthusiast forum.

FOMO is a powerful thing, especially for "hardcore" types who want to be able to say they've beaten or at least played everything.

Its sad, because it really is missing the forest for the trees.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Xbox gamers buying more digital than Playstation gamers was true at the beginning of last gen, but not longer true by the end. Specially during Covid hell. So that whole argument is a pile of smoke, but I guess people gotta hang on to something.

This is another of those games where you get 6000 reward points for buying digitally through the dash, that will have some impact on disc sales.
I always have loads of rewards points and loads of cashback that I often turn into MS currency and with the 6000 bonus points they tend to run on most popular games I tend to buy most multiplatform on Xbox digital. As there is rarely any money coming out of my bank account there is less of a psychological barrier to overpaying for stuff on release day.

I know there is an opportunity cost and I could use my reward points for hardware or turn my cashback into grocery vouchers or something but where's the fun in that.

I do buy cheap PSN currency when I see it so buy digital there too but I really like all the ways I end up with MS currency for doing stuff I would do anyway.

Guilty_AI

so the narrative now is "Game sold less on xbox because gamepass is evil!", and not the obvious fact Nier/drakengard series and other niche japanese games have a very small user base there?

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
But game isn't on Gamepass, though.

Games not on gamepass are bound to be affected by its existence though. It has to affect buying habits, it directly impacts the perception of value. So this might be a case of a game that by definition appeals more to the Playstation user base, compounded by the fact that Xbox gamers will be less inclined to risk a purchase.

Spending has nothing to do with the physical to digital ratio of sales copies. For example, FIFA is 75% physical, but most of the spending is digital because of DLC.
Unless you can actually prove Xbox users buy more games digitally than PlayStation users (which you can’t) I suggest you stop with the clown argument.

Either you or the many others making this claim post some figures or just stop.

Top Bottom