• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.biz] Nier Replicant debuts at #1 in the UK (89% of sales on PlayStation)

Especially if it is physical copies - they are always very heavily skewed towards Playstation. I do wonder at which point Xbox pivoted more to digital. It literally follows the path of PC, that abandoned physical years ago when Steam started to roll out.

You don't need to wonder. PS also has big digital purchase. Even if it is digital split somewhat few percentages higher on Xbox, it won't mitigate huge split overall between PS and Xbox at all. People also thought the same for Monster Hunter World, yet PS demolished Xbox in MHW sales on both fronts.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Playstation sold like 27 percent of cyberpunk ,despite being pulled off the store. Xbox was either 17 or 13 percent, pc was the rest. There was a thread about it not too long ago. PS4 sold way more of the witcher too.
Yeah but I’m including PC in that which is why I said the studio was PC centric. Basically, I was saying it had done best on PC but it seems the poster I replied to meant only for consoles.

Last edited:
queen elizabeth GIF
That queen crown is full of diamonds stolen from countries which were in British rule.
You want boxed version of this game. Just a hint.
I will download art work of box art and print it for free

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not to suggest that this instance is particularly indicative of a trend, but I think it demonstrates the thing I was saying about what's going to happen to any and all Xbox releases outside of GamePass.

Obviously big titles will stand on their own two feet, but for smaller more niche releases... Surely the implicit promise that it may end up on GP down the line is going to hurt sales?

Playstation sold like 27 percent of cyberpunk ,despite being pulled off the store. Xbox was either 17 or 13 percent, pc was the rest. There was a thread about it not too long ago. PS4 sold way more of the witcher too.
No. Those numbers were before it was pulled.

Those 13m sold figure is of 2020.

Guilty_AI

According to the data CDPR shared, Witcher 3 sold more at the ps4 at first but long terms sales were higher on PC

witcher-3-sales-platform-chart-1214734.jpeg

Cyberpunk also has been selling more on PC. Even before release it already accounted for almost 60% of pre-orders.

Dabaus

Banned
No. Those numbers were before it was pulled.

Those 13m sold figure is of 2020.
I dont know what youre trying to argue here. Im saying that despite it being pulled off the playstation store and xbox exclusive marketing, it only managed to sell 13 percent of all sales on xbox.

MHW on PS4 had the biggest sales on the West.

I'm talking about charts in Europe and US. It was around 75/25 just in UK.
Interesting. I guess market share contributes to that then. Would be interesting to see split by region + platform. In USA split probably smaller than in Europe.

Last edited:

Handel

Great to see Nier doing well. My favorite streamer went through Drakengard recently and that game is such a beautiful mess, Taro has come so far since then.

That might be indicative of the fact that PS gamers tend to support this type of game more than XB gamers
I think it's more indicative of install base, and familiarity with Taro's work. Drakengard has been completely PS exclusive, and Nier Automata was a year exclusive on PS4.

Spaceman292

Banned
images

You too, can help a struggling games director in need. For just a one time payment of $60 USD, you can make the difference in a 50 year old Japanese man's life, named Yoko Taro.

A sale of FIFA or Assassin's Creed is just a drop in the bucket. 5 million, 10 million sold - not much changes. But for just 2 million copies sold, the life of Yoko Taro can change, and he too can be given an actual budget to make great games. Pick up the phone and make that call ... today.

images

A special message below, from Yoko Taro :lollipop_anguish:

Fabulous. The game's selling well. Too bad, Taro!

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'll pick it up when its on sale on Steam. Heard they didn't port it right. Something about physics tied to frame rate and the frame rate cap isn't working right.

From GamesIndustryBiz,

Congrats Square, hopefully this trend of Square remakes doing good continues all the way to Xenogears.
9-CFE1-DCE-0-E57-4-FBC-AC40-9-CE29-C8-C0905.jpg

Modern Square would ruin Xenogears. Just leave it as a classic.
If this is a trend (and it will be) where new games just dont sell on xbox i wonder if third parties ignore the xbox version for launch and make MS pay them for a late gamepass port? Are all of these publishers ok with destroying the potential day one sales in hopes that Microsoft welfare program will last forever? Surely theyre not so naive? One of the ironies of games coming to game pass is that until it start to negatively affect day one sales on playstation or switch to a lesser extent, MS probably doesnt have to pay that much because the games were never expected to sell well to begin with.

Quitre frankly japanese publishers are wasting effort releasing on xbox with a standalone release, just wait for phil spencer to come port begging.
Xbox runs on the same hardware as PlayStation. The only difference is the OS, with Xbox being based off Windows and PS being FreeBSD based.

Last edited:

Duchess

What a stupid topic title, boasting about 89% sales on PlayStation.

Well, of course there are, and we all know the reasons why.

1. This doesn't include Steam sales.
2. It doesn't count the number of gamers who are playing it on Game Pass.

Once you factor in those two things, you'll find that the PlayStation sales are closer to 20%.

/s

Interesting. I guess market share contributes to that then. Would be interesting to see split by region + platform. In USA split probably smaller than in Europe.

In UK and US actually not. Xbox One wasn't far off behind PS4 in these two countries. Basically UK sales split mirrors US sales split in NPD. FFXV was 75/25 split in December 2016 NPD, while it was 79-21 in UK.

According to leaked numbers. Monster Hunter World sales on X1 are near 1.8 mil. globally, while on PS4 is 8.7 mil. globally ( 3.18 mil. is a Japan only, also Iceborne not included for both )

I think a lot of XBox gamers have been conditioned to wait for games to come to Gamepass eventually rather than paying full price on day 1.
Well at least they are not conditioned to pay the full price at launch :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I think the best scenario is the full price on Playstation and Game Pass for Xbox.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Well at least they are not conditioned to pay the full price at launch :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I think the best scenario is the full price on Playstation and Game Pass for Xbox.

You better hope Phil continues to throw the cheque book around with reckless abandon because if Xbox gamers keep this up it will be more economically viable for devs to skip Xbox entirely for the initial launch and only do the Xbox port once Phil comes begging with a bag of cash.

When your worship of gamepass is above your desire to play the games you want then you should probably question what your priorities are.

yazenov

MHW Split:

Sony USA: 2.392 mil
Sony EU: 1.702 mil
Sony Asia: 1.414 mil

Sony NonJP Total: 5.509 mil
Sony Japan: 3.184mil

PS4 Total = 8.693 mil

Xbox: 1.789 mil

PS4 version in the US alone outsold the total amount of the Xbox version in all regions.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

What a stupid topic title, boasting about 89% sales on PlayStation.

Well, of course there are, and we all know the reasons why.

1. This doesn't include Steam sales.
2. It doesn't count the number of gamers who are playing it on Game Pass.

Once you factor in those two things, you'll find that the PlayStation sales are closer to 20%.

/s

Also, xbox gamers buy more digital games.

So when we factor in that, it's more like negative -8% for playstation.

Seriously though, I wonder if gamepass is training xbox gamers to not buy small to mid tier budget games, and to instead wait till it goes to gamepass?

Last edited:
Top Bottom