• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Of Tsushima Director's Cut comes to PS5 and PS4 on August 20!

NahaNago

OH trust, it will. The world they crafted feels alive and fighting random bandits and doing small side quest along your journey feels deeply rewarding. You can tell they take lots of notes from the Zatoichi series ie I'm going from point A to point B and on my travels, theses people needed my help lol The general theme is very engaging if you like that sort of stuff and you can tell a lot of this is a love letter to those films and concepts. My only issue with that really is I feel they could have gone darker, what was happening in Japan at that time was extremely dark, like rape dark, like killing kids dark and it seems like Sucker Punch is making a game rated M, but acting like its really PG-13 lol

So I'm hoping they let loose with a sequel and show how humans REALLY behave vs this cartoon idea of human behavior. So they can keep fanboying and talking about how much they reallllllly love Kurosawa, but they are not ready for that Rashōmon life, I enjoy the game, but I feel the training wheels on this one and even a fucking film of something like this wouldn't be this watered down and sugar coated. If a film from the 50's can have a dark theme, a game from 2020 has no excuses the year some shit like The Last Of Us 2 releases. So I do hope they actually trust consumers are very much ok with that. I'd still buy a sequel day 1 regardless of what they do, but I do hope they treat that subject matter with the rawness that it deserves.
Wow, I really wouldn't expect them to go that dark with the story. This was always going to be a pg-13-ish type movie. I would expect only really Naughty Dog to go that dark unless it is some over the top fantasy game like god of war.

lucius

Yes nice upgrade path for owners of the PS4 version, day one.

edit: I read it wrong I thought it was $20 u get the PS5 upgrade from PS4 digital, now I see $30 is a bit high unless that DLC is like half the game which it won’t be.

Last edited:

xiskza

Suckerpunch has been giving out free updates like candy since launch and they’re still giving more free updates, including an entire online co,op mode and a free ps5 patch.

This whole thing about what other companies are doing for free doesn’t even compare to the amount of content Suckerpunch has already given for free. I feel like gamers are just becoming so entitled that everything that they don’t like turns into a temper tantrum calling everything anti consumer.

This game could have been 10 dollars cheaper and people still would have complained about there being a price difference

ToadMan

Yeah I loved GoT - platted it.

But I think it would’ve been a nice gesture to say the PS5 fidelity upgrades are free for PS4 owners and just charge the $30 for the dlc.

If it’s got enough content that would be fine. But it feels like they’re adding $10 onto the normal dlc price for the PS5 extras.

Well let’s see what the improvements are like in practice, but for me this is a wait and see despite how much I enjoyed the original and was ready for more.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've not played it but everything about it looks kinda... boring ?
And in the new trailer, the faces are already looking old. Next gen already starting to spoil me ?

The Japanese lip syncing is actually a pleasant surprise, I really thought I'd have to wait for the sequel to see them do that due to the amount of work that's needed for that sort of thing. They should now add an option to play in English but set the lip syncing to the new Japanese version in Kurosawa mode to make it truer to how his films look when dubbed.

Reallink

SEVENTY Second Job US American Dollars for a year old Greatest Hits DLC PS5 port? How about no, go fuck yourself Sony, you're not getting my Covid Bucks.

Last edited:
This is a day one buy for me. Ghost of Tsushima was my personal GOTY in 2020 and I can’t wait to dive into this 😁. I’m very happy about the Japanese lip syncing because I play the game entirely in Japanese and this was needed.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

I’m assuming that $30 upgrade will be £30 over here in the UK. That’s a bit steep for my liking.

I’m not too fussed about the PS5 bells and whistles, which don’t sound that compelling to what we already get performance wise.

It might be tempting if the Iki island expansion is reasonably substantial.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

So it turns out this is false?

Seems like this guy has been wrong on several things and he just jumps on a rumor whenever its posted.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If Ikishima is about the size of one of the three areas in the game, 30$ is alright.

In any case, I’m excited: the game is fantastic and my personal 2020 goty.

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

I only recently started a new playthrough of this game on ps5, maybe I'll stop that and wait for this, just not sure which method I'll go about getting it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Any other day I would have said no..
But today I'm just gonna go ahead and say
giphy.webp

yurinka

SEVENTY Second Job US American Dollars for a year old Greatest Hits DLC PS5 port? How about no, go fuck yourself Sony, you're not getting my Covid Bucks.
If you have the game for PS4, the port is free because the console is backards compatible. At least here in Spain you can get it for somewhere between 20 and 40 bucks.

If you want the PS5 only improvements (4K, haptic feedback, adaptative triggers, 3D audio, way shorter loading times, better lip sync also supporting Japanese dub now) it's 10 bucks (you don't need them to play the game on PS5).

If you want the expansion, it's 20 bucks (you don't need to buy the PS5 improvements to play it on PS5, you can also play it on PS4).

Neilg

I've been waiting for a sale on ghosts to pick it up, as I was kind of on the fence about another open world saga. It hit $40 so I was really close to grabbing it, but now having to pay $70 for the ps5 version kind of sucks. I think this has actually put me back into wait for a sale.

EDMIX

Wow, I really wouldn't expect them to go that dark with the story. This was always going to be a pg-13-ish type movie. I would expect only really Naughty Dog to go that dark unless it is some over the top fantasy game like god of war.

I wouldn't expect them only because it is THEM... the actual thing that occurred in Japan at this time wasn't pretty and this game isn't some Pixar like game about happy times. Its literally rated M.... This is the issue with this, its rides the fence, puts on training wheels, tells folks how much they loooooove Kurosawa and then proceed to sugarcoat the fuck out of it.

My issue is simply, Naughty Dog ALONE can not be the only team with balls to really show humans how they are in games. No one in Film is the sole director in film that does this, this should be something only known by Naughty Dog, as why even fucking make it M? Why pick this theme? Make it in the edo period, complete fantasy with Pixar lolz and I feel its right at home, but I feel this is only like this because of the game industries fear of hurting people's fucking feelings over pixels.

If writing a book, would you do this? If doing a FILM on this exact event, you'd never talk about the actual events? Why? This literally feels like a game, based on a show about the events, but the show is on the CW lol So i feel we only expect this because of what we've been conditioned to expect from video games.... you not fucking walking into a film about this that is rated R and really expecting no one to talk about the killing of children, rape, torture etc Sad times where we literally expect training wheels on games. I'd rather they just go Teen and do some safe happy go lucky fantasy thing if thats what they truly want, but it sucks to see such a great setting and theme, held back this way from people who literally like Kurosawa's work. I love Naughty Dog, they are an amazing team, but we don't need them to teach Sucker Punch that humans are evil, I'm sure they've done their own homework on that time, event, setting etc to know what went on. They made a choice to put those training wheels on and nerf that whole setting. I don't need them doing a game about Slavery if they just going to sugarcoat the whole fucking event lol Be like "come here dark person jim" lol At one point, you see a Mongol warriors guy screaming at someone, but he isn't really doing anything, he is just screaming. It feels very CW, like its a day time soap opera or they are on PBS or doing a kids show or something.

We all know some rated R film wouldn't just do that depicting such events. If they are going to make it M, let it actually be fully THAT.

Neilg

If you want the PS5 only improvements (4K, haptic feedback, adaptative triggers, 3D audio, way shorter loading times, better lip sync also supporting Japanese dub now) it's 10 bucks (you don't need them to play the game on PS5).

Can you get those without also buying the DLC? from what I can see, those are directors cut exclusive. It's only $10 to get those features if you already have the ps4 DLC.

yurinka

Can you get those without also buying the DLC? from what I can see, those are directors cut exclusive. It's only $10 to get those features if you already have the ps4 DLC.
I just went to double check it in the PS blog: yes, the $10 PS5 upgrade is for those who already have the DLC.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Not sure how an expansion that took over a year wont delay their next game. They did use all their resources to make a new map, new story, new enemies, but I am not talking about the content when I say the bare minimum. I am talking about the PS5 specific features like haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and 4k 60 fps patches. Thats the bare minimum we expect from PS5 upgrades nowadays. There are no other graphics upgrades. We arent getting the lighting that was downgraded in the PS4 version. Compare the E3 2018 duel to the one we got in the final version. We arent getting extended foliage draw distance like we saw Sony Bend do for the PC version. We arent even getting next gen quality visuals like we are seeing with Forza Horizon. Though that was always going to be a long shot, but since they took a whole year to make it, I figured they would at least throw PS5 owners a bigger bone than just haptic feedback.

Now what they have done is spent an entire year making an expansion instead of immediately moving on to GoT2 like Cory did after shipping GoW. And GoW2 has still taken 4 years despite being a last gen game. How long will a next gen GoT2 will take 5 years? It's 2021 now. Are we looking at a 2026 title? Who asked for an expansion anyway? GoT was already like 50 hours long. Why do we need another island? Lets move on. Listen to Cory.
You always say a lot of nothing that leads into a downward spiral. It's amazing watching your psyche deteriorate.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If this was Bloodborne people would be talking differently about these prices.
Bloodborne didn't come out less than a year ago.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m going to stick with my PS4 version most likely since it’s already 1800p and 60 fps.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I wouldn't expect them only because it is THEM... the actual thing that occurred in Japan at this time wasn't pretty and this game isn't some Pixar like game about happy times. Its literally rated M.... This is the issue with this, its rides the fence, puts on training wheels, tells folks how much they loooooove Kurosawa and then proceed to sugarcoat the fuck out of it.

My issue is simply, Naughty Dog ALONE can not be the only team with balls to really show humans how they are in games. No one in Film is the sole director in film that does this, this should be something only known by Naughty Dog, as why even fucking make it M? Why pick this theme? Make it in the edo period, complete fantasy with Pixar lolz and I feel its right at home, but I feel this is only like this because of the game industries fear of hurting people's fucking feelings over pixels.

If writing a book, would you do this? If doing a FILM on this exact event, you'd never talk about the actual events? Why? This literally feels like a game, based on a show about the events, but the show is on the CW lol So i feel we only expect this because of what we've been conditioned to expect from video games.... you not fucking walking into a film about this that is rated R and really expecting no one to talk about the killing of children, rape, torture etc Sad times where we literally expect training wheels on games. I'd rather they just go Teen and do some safe happy go lucky fantasy thing if thats what they truly want, but it sucks to see such a great setting and theme, held back this way from people who literally like Kurosawa's work. I love Naughty Dog, they are an amazing team, but we don't need them to teach Sucker Punch that humans are evil, I'm sure they've done their own homework on that time, event, setting etc to know what went on. They made a choice to put those training wheels on and nerf that whole setting. I don't need them doing a game about Slavery if they just going to sugarcoat the whole fucking event lol Be like "come here dark person jim" lol At one point, you see a Mongol warriors guy screaming at someone, but he isn't really doing anything, he is just screaming. It feels very CW, like its a day time soap opera or they are on PBS or doing a kids show or something.

We all know some rated R film wouldn't just do that depicting such events. If they are going to make it M, let it actually be fully THAT.
I get what your saying but just because someone wants to create a rated R film doesn't mean that they want to put all of those elements in the movie. Maybe they just wanted the movie to be extra bloody and violent so they get the R rating or maybe they wanted more explicit sex scenes or a ridiculous amount of foul language.

It really does tend to be a matter of what they are focusing on in the story. Plus I don't go into a rated R movie expecting those things. Maybe some killing and some sex willing or not. I really just think you are just wanting them to go a lot darker than they were ever going to go.

I'm guessing from your description they just wanted to focus on a more fighting realistic violent version of the samurai and ninja games rather than cover all of the mature elements of that time period. Probably a history channel version that tones down the graphic-ness of the times.

Killing innocent and defenseless people of all ages would create more impact but kids tend to be a no go. You might see a raised sword and then the lifeless body of the young person.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not played this yet, was waiting for the PS4 PSN version to hit £24.99 - happy to keep waiting for this version to drop in a year or two.

Top Bottom