• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Of Tsushima Director's Cut comes to PS5 and PS4 on August 20!

Ezekiel_

Banned
What happens if you have the base game but via PS5 PS Plus Collection? Would you be able to upgrade directly from that license even if it's tied to your PS Plus subscription?
They didn't give Ghost with the PS+ Collection or any month

EDMIX

You pretty much aren't going to get that from a game for the most part. Simply because that is how it is at this time when it comes to games. The only kind of reality we get is dealing with emotional trauma and that is usually just indies.
Yea, thats kind of the issue lol It doesn't NEED to be that way with games though.

Maybe you might get it from Europe but not from a American company. Even Naughty Dog last of us is just a hbo series when it comes to the graphic violence and sex content.
Like you said though, Naughty Dog an American studio did it. So we might get that else where, but thats besides the point, it shouldn't be only on Europe or Naughty Dog to even do that, the game is already rated M.
Wanting the "raw" absolute horrors of life and war in your entertainment is a bit disturbing if you ask me.
Thats nice. Go play rated E games if that bothers you bud. It makes no sense to have a game about that idea, that is then scared to fucking actually show and talk about that idea. Never said SHIT about wanting that in my entertainment as some default, the game is about that event, make it about that fucking event and not some sugar coated thing trying its best to be a PG version of reality lol I mean my god, this is a M RATED Video game for fuck sakes and they love Kurosawa? The man directed a film about rape in the 50's and this team does a fucking game about an event that didn't simply have 1 rape, its a horrific event in Japanese history and yet they decide in his honor, in 2020 to release a G rated, CW type sugar coated version of reality lol They can't even fucking handle a film from 1950s, that is where we are at in gaming right now. Gamers basically forcing a Hays code on themselves lol

sad...

Adds to ignore list...=)

Last edited:

NahaNago

Like you said though, Naughty Dog an American studio did it. So we might get that else where, but thats besides the point, it shouldn't be only on Europe or Naughty Dog to even do that, the game is already rated M.
Did they do it? I never finished the last of us or even played the last of us 2 and I haven't really heard about those things being in those games. I only mentioned Naughty Dog since they tend to cover the more serious or mature content when it comes to the last of us. I know the main character lost his child in the first game in the beginning but I can't remember if the attack was actually shown.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Did they do it? I never finished the last of us or even played the last of us 2 and I haven't really heard about those things being in those games. I only mentioned Naughty Dog since they tend to cover the more serious or mature content when it comes to the last of us. I know the main character lost his child in the first game in the beginning but I can't remember if the attack was actually shown.

Oh its pretty wild, people are out here losing limbs and shit in The Last Of Us 2 lol

Shmunter

🤔

No PS5 version of base game is eyebrow raising. At least they gave us 60fps without $ forcing an upgrade to this so I’ll keep my yap shut.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It's been a while since I've played so I can't remember but can you still load up your save and explore the island even after you've beaten the game?
Meaning that I could buy the PS5 upgrade and then jump straight into the new content with all my gear without having to replay the main game all over again?
If so then I may consider it depending on the length...
(although a second playthrough would be great now that I think about it)

Last edited:
All these refusal to buy expansion packs confuses me. That was how PC gaming worked for years.

If you don't want to pay for extra content, then don't buy it. That is your right. But saying you deserve to get it for free? That's silly.

GoT was a full game that you gladly paid for. And now there is an expansion and people are pissed that it isn't free?

Dr Bass

Yea, thats kind of the issue lol It doesn't NEED to be that way with games though.

Thats nice. Go play rated E games if that bothers you bud. It makes no sense to have a game about that idea, that is then scared to fucking actually show and talk about that idea. Never said SHIT about wanting that in my entertainment as some default, the game is about that event, make it about that fucking event and not some sugar coated thing trying its best to be a PG version of reality lol I mean my god, this is a M RATED Video game for fuck sakes and they love Kurosawa? The man directed a film about rape in the 50's and this team does a fucking game about an event that didn't simply have 1 rape, its a horrific event in Japanese history and yet they decide in his honor, in 2020 to release a G rated, CW type sugar coated version of reality lol They can't even fucking handle a film from 1950s, that is where we are at in gaming right now. Gamers basically forcing a Hays code on themselves lol

sad...

Adds to ignore list...=)
That’s all it took to be added to an ignore list? Geez must have touched a nerve. Am I supposed to feel bad about that? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Point still stands. Why not a Manson family game? A Jeffrey Dahmer simulator? What kind of weirdo wants that level of real life horror in their games.

P.S. M-rated doesnt mean psychotic or violently sociopathic.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
All these refusal to buy expansion packs confuses me. That was how PC gaming worked for years.

If you don't want to pay for extra content, then don't buy it. That is your right. But saying you deserve to get it for free? That's silly.

GoT was a full game that you gladly paid for. And now there is an expansion and people are pissed that it isn't free?
People are saying it's fine to charge for the extra content, but want the PS5 upgrade for the base game to be free

nowhat

It's been a while since I've played so I can't remember but can you still load up your save and explore the island even after you've beaten the game?
Yeah, after the final fight you can roam/clear stuff you hadn't earlier as much as you like. But, there's also NG+, so you don't need to start from scratch if you want to replay the game.

Last edited:

RareJordan

I own the PS4 version, but I could see myself buying the Director's Cut on PS5 (on sale) if it contains the expansion and all updates on the disc.

TLZ

Banned
Hm. I started the game days ago but I'm still early in. I think I'm putting it on hold and continue on the director's cut. I want the full experience.

Only problem is I have the physical version. I hope ebganes will offer a good trade in value.

demonstr8

People are saying it's fine to charge for the extra content, but want the PS5 upgrade for the base game to be free
I'm confused. There is no official PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima, only a Directors Cut version.
The PS5 upgrade is acquired by putting the PS4 disc of GoT into your PS5 and experiencing the benefits there for free..?

The money people would be paying is for the expansion that comes with the game, the expansion isn't free, which is obvious.
I don't understand what the problem is here, help me to understand what it is? Lol
Are people saying they want for e.g. the Haptic Feedback on their PS4 version when they put it into the PS5 version? Because if that is the implication then they are wrong to demand that because there was no implication of any sort of forward-feature compatibility when they made the transaction for the PS4 version.

Again can someone explain to me their legitimate gripe?

If you can't afford a measly 30 dollars. Get a second job.
That's not the point, their direct competitor is doing the same thing for everything and not charging a dime. You're having to spend more money on what you already own.

If they're going to take on this kind of undertaking with a previously released title they should reward those who already paid for the title. They're the platform holder for christ sakes, don't defend this dumb shit.

sendit

That's not the point, their direct competitor is doing the same thing for everything and not charging a dime. You're having to spend more money on what you already own.

If they're going to take on this kind of undertaking with a previously released title they should reward those who already paid for the title. They're the platform holder for christ sakes, don't defend this dumb shit.

It's not what you already own. Its additional content.

"This new edition comes packed not only with the original game and every piece of additional content we’ve released to date, but a brand-new adventure for Jin alongside a bunch of new features that we’re excited to reveal."

"For new players, the new Iki Island content will be available beginning in Act 2 of Ghost of Tsushima, after you’ve made your way to the Toyotama region."

Who is their direct competitor that isn't charging for additional content?

sendit

I'm confused. There is no official PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima, only a Directors Cut version.
The PS5 upgrade is acquired by putting the PS4 disc of GoT into your PS5 and experiencing the benefits there for free..?

The money people would be paying is for the expansion that comes with the game, the expansion isn't free, which is obvious.
I don't understand what the problem is here, help me to understand what it is? Lol
Are people saying they want for e.g. the Haptic Feedback on their PS4 version when they put it into the PS5 version? Because if that is the implication then they are wrong to demand that because there was no implication of any sort of forward-feature compatibility when they made the transaction for the PS4 version.

Again can someone explain to me their legitimate gripe?

Seriously. How dare a company charge for additional content that wasn't promised to me when I bought the game. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Cant wait to see the graphics upgrade on PS5

GoT graphics look bad on some areas on PS4

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
An entire new island sounds amazing. If it is anything like Frozen Wilds was for Horizon Zero Dawn, it'd be great.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the paid upgrade. Do we really expect them to work on new things, invest months of work on something and give it all away for free? Let's look at what Sucker Punch has done with Ghost of Tsushima.
  • Announced a complete game with no MTX or in-game purchases and sold it for $60.
  • Released an NG+ version with new items for free after popular demand from the community.
  • Then announced and gave the entire multiplayer Legends for FREE.
  • Added raids and supported the multiplayer Legends for months, without any cost or even a single micro-transaction, even in the MP mode.
  • For PS5 owners: they patched the PS4 version to run at 60 FPS for free.
Now:
  • They worked on PS5 features -- 3D audio support, haptic feedback, improved loading times, cutscenes, adaptive triggers -- and are charging $10 for all that work.
  • They created an expansion with a new map, armor, abilities, enemies, and a brand new storyline and are charging $20 for that.
I think it's very fair.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
$70 for a year old game? Thanks Nintendo errr I mean Sony. I was considering buying this at $40 since I missed out, but no way am I paying $70 so maybe I'll just spend my cash elsewhere for now at least, buy it when it's $15.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Ghost PS4 Pro uses checkerboard 1800p and that is less than 1440p in pixel count.

The $10 is for Japanese VO lipsync, DualSense haptics, higher resolution, 3D audio, faster loading, etc.

The $20 is for the new DLC on Iki Island. New story, enemies, mini-games, gear, music, etc. Plus a director's commentary.
OHHHHHHHH it DOES include the DLC then.

That's not so bad then, I was going to purchase anyway.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
OHHHHHHHH it DOES include the DLC then.

That's not so bad then, I was going to purchase anyway.
Yes. $20 for DLC. $10 for PS5 upgrade and features. $30 for both if you want.

The good thing is that people have the option to pick any route. If they don't have a PS5 but want to upgrade to only the DLC, they can ($20). Then when they get the PS5 and want to upgrade to PS5 features, they can ($10). If someone wants both, they also can ($30).

In addition, all PS4 and PS5 owners of Ghost of Tsushima get the multiplayer Legends updates and new mode for free.

Last edited:

odhiex

Why some people here bring the Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade's (PS5) upgrade?

Yes, that game has a free visual upgrade to PS5 but the Yuffie DLC is locked for the PS5 (purchase) only. If you have purchased the game on PS4 and only be playing on PS4, then no luck in getting extra content. Now that is bull.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yes. $20 for DLC. $10 for PS5 upgrade and features. $30 for both if you want.

The good thing is that people have the option to pick any route. If they don't have a PS5 but want to upgrade to only the DLC, they can ($20). Then when they get the PS5 and want to upgrade to PS5 features, they can ($10). If someone wants both, they also can ($30).

In addition, all PS4 and PS5 owners of Ghost of Tsushima get the multiplayer Legends updates and new mode for free.
One option missing -> PS4 base game to PS5 base game. Forced into dlc $ to get that.

Ikishima looks very smiliar too Tsushima in many although the trailer does show some interesting places that the trailer that weren't seen in the main game. There's no point trying to work out the size difference of the two islands as Tsushima was only about 1.5% of the real land mass which seemed pretty spot on at the time.

mxbison

Borrowed the game from a friend and platinumed it.

The new content looks great but I'd have to buy the whole thing so that's a pass from me.

kyliethicc

One option missing -> PS4 base game to PS5 base game. Forced into dlc $ to get that.
Same as Control, FF7 remake, and Death Stranding. Plenty of games are adding DLC for their PS5 ports.

At least Ghost was already patched to run at 60 on PS5. Plus free multiplayer and more for the regular PS4 version.

Derift

their direct competitor doesn't have a game as good as GOT...

Derift

$70 for a year old game? Thanks Nintendo errr I mean Sony. I was considering buying this at $40 since I missed out, but no way am I paying $70 so maybe I'll just spend my cash elsewhere for now at least, buy it when it's $15.
why would you think the director's cut would be $40 when the base game on ps4 is still around that price??? the game is like a year old and now has new features and included DLC... talk about entitled

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
We have already received a free patch to upgrade the base version to 60 FPS on PS5? Now PS4/PS5 base game owners will also get a slew of updates for free, including the new Legends mode.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The "year old game" is available at $40 usually.

This new version also includes new updates + a new expansion, hence the additional charges.

KiNeMz

Banned
Hm. I started the game days ago but I'm still early in. I think I'm putting it on hold and continue on the director's cut. I want the full experience.

Only problem is I have the physical version. I hope ebganes will offer a good trade in value.
ebgames and value in the same sentence?

I think that if you own the Director's Cut on PS4 you should get the PS5 version at no extra cost, just like they did with Miles Morales. Sony is kinda pulling an Activision right here.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I only made it to the second section of the game before getting bored. Iki Island better be significant for that much of an upchage.

im in the same boat, just had no interest to go back to it. I wonder if the game picks up or if I’m just doing more of the same if I go back.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think that if you own the Director's Cut on PS4 you should get the PS5 version at no extra cost, just like they did with Miles Morales. Sony is kinda pulling an Activision right here.
Charging for additional PS5 features: haptic feedback, 3D audio, adaptive triggers, improved loading times on PS5, improved visuals at 60 FPS, etc.

If someone thinks that those features aren't worth enough to charge $10, then they wouldn't be worried about not having those features either. In that case, they can just pay for the $20 expansion and upgrade to PS4 Director's Cut.

I don't see the problem here.

Last edited:

shubik

I played it when it came out on my base PS4. Been thinking about going for a second playthrough but now I will wait for sure. Can´t wait to explore the new island.

Top Bottom