• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 owners are offered a free digital game through Sony's new upgrade program (US and invite Only)

Limited to select games. Offer valid only in the U.S. for eligible PSN account holders who are at least 18 years of age and purchase and activate a new PS5 console by October 20, 2023 @ 23:59pm (PDT). GAME MUST BE REDEEMED ON YOUR ACTIVATED PS5 CONSOLE BY NO LATER THAN OCTOBER 20, 2023 @ 23:59pm (PDT). Limit 1 game per user. No substitutions or replacements. Offer is non-transferable and cannot be combined with other select offers. Game selections subject to change at any time. Offer subject to change or cancellation at any time. Void where prohibited.

Select Games:

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered

God of War Ragnarök

Horizon Forbidden West

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Demon’s Souls

The Last of Us Part I

Sackboy: A Big Adventure

Returnal

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection

Death Stranding: Director’s Cut
Update 10/3/2023 3:38 p.m. ET: The promotion in question appears to be limited to pre-selected PSN accounts, presumably those who already have a PS4 and haven’t yet upgraded to a PS5. Since this article first went live, Sony has no added the disclaimer “Invitation Only” to the top of the support page about redeeming free games.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Why US only

crushed noo GIF

Ps collection was better anyway

Last edited:

Agent X

Man they are going all out to get that 25 million.

Major props to them. Has the price dropped in the US like UK and Europe too?

Several weeks ago, the price of the PS5 with Blu-ray temporarily shed $50, but after two weeks reverted back to the original price.

This is a tempting offer, as there are some great games in that list, but I'm still waiting to see if the rumored "PS5 slim" materializes.

Rayderism

The only game in that list that I don't already own is Sackboy. And that's only because it didn't appeal to me.

diffusionx

Gold Member
For someone new the PS5 ecosystem which of these games would be the best pick?
really depends on what you like, there are a lot of great games on that list, but if you want a “Sony” game I would say Ghost of Tsushima or Spider-Man.

I know Ragnarok is the newest one but imo for story reasons you want to play 2018 first.

DryvBy

Ghosts of Tsushima if you want to play one of their best games. I've finished it through twice.

Spider-Man if you like Spidey and Batman Arkham games.

Returnal if you want a game you won't finish over a weekend.

Death Stranding if you want to see why it's way better than a walking simulator. Warning: first hour ish is a walking simulator lol

Definitely looks like the PS5 Slim isn't being announced until after Spiderman 2's release.

Man they are going all out to get that 25 million.

Or they are behind schedule in clearing out the inventory for the PS5 Slim. Perhaps they will keep a similar program on BF to move the remaining inventory.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
could reach the 25 mil target, we shall see.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Of course it’s US only. The country with the cheapest video cheapest video games on earth also needs the best deals
Probably because competition with Xbox is strongest in the US.

OT:

Good deal I guess. A free game is always nice and their first party offering is great.

xHunter

Cant you just create a new account and then claim the game?

Edit: if you already have a PS5

Last edited:

solidus12

I already have a PS5 but I haven’t used or activated my US account on it.

Will I benefit from the free games if I log in using my U.S. account? It’s only been used on PS3 and PS4.

Last edited:

Del_X

Let’s do some fast and loose math for Sony 1st party games

- 25m consoles
- Still have a huge delay to release on PC so no revenue there
- Games cost $250m for them to make

If they’re PS5 exclusive, they need to sell about 3.5m copies digital at $70 to break even. Assuming some margin is taken by disc retailers and the split is 50/50, Sony probably needs to sell closer to 4 million copies per $250 million first party title to break even.

EDIT: That means something like 15-16% of their current install base needs to buy these games at full retail price. Seems like a very aspirational attach rate.

Obviously this gets much easier at a 50m install base.

Last edited:
Ragnarok or TLOU Part 1 are probably the only decent value games here, all the others have dropped to like $30 regularly.

Returnal and Demons Souls are the best games on the list though.

skit_data

While it's a nice thing I'm starting to feel like I'm the one footing the bill of this kind of stuff as a European citizen.

StereoVsn

Good effort on Sony’s side. I am surprised they don’t expand this to at least Mexico, Canada, Central/South America and UK. For rest of Europe I guess they are thinking MS is done already.

Just fired up the PS5 in the first time in this month. Had to suffer through yet another system update then a controller update.
Turns out I had Sackboy in my library. So I have everything in that list.
Not seeing anything for adding these games.
Must only be for brand new owners I guess.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No doubt the PS sub plan price increase scared off new gamers. So to hook them into it, you get a free game which you can probably buy on deal for $30.

There’s going to be a lot of gamers who don’t know PS sub plans cost so high unless they knew about it from a few weeks ago. They’d go in wanting to sub but got sticker shock.

And then after they get settled gaming with the new game, hope they sub later.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I'd go with Marvel’s Spider-Man: Remastered

Insomniac is really doing a great job on the Super Hero games so far. Had a blast with this one. Miles Morales was fun too, but that one is a little short so I would recommend using a free game on that. Always cool to see a truly free game bundled with a system. I remember I got two free games and an extra controller with my X1 VCR, it really added to the value.

I bought my Ps5 just a couple months ago - wonder if I qualify? Going to have to check this out...

Probably Demon's Souls, Returnal, or Ragnarok. Or Maybe Tsushima since my Ps4 disc won't work on the Ps5 and I'll eventually buy the other 3 in disc.. ? Hm.

Top Bottom