• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Big video game deals in final stages of negotiations

Halo was released at December 8th and still managed to secure a second place at the all platform month, Forza Horizon 5 was released in November and got into the Top 20 year overall, for comparison, Forza Horizon 4 which was released in October 2018 didn't chart on that category.

It was the only AAA release in that month. It'd be pretty pathetic if it couldn't even manage 2nd place

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

SlimySnake gave you the list.​

Gamepass is a sale for MS. Stop denying that.
It's not a video game sale. You're moving the goalpost.
Game is US. Its where most of its fans located at.

It's second with many games in their second/third month. That doesn't mean sales are high for a triple A title.

And stop using the fans are located in the US as an excuse. Other halo games performed much better in Europe.

I'm not going to continue this conversation. You have shown countless times of making excuses just to defend a point that you don't have.

kingfey

Banned
Look at the symbol at the beginning of "Xbox Digital Sales not Included" and then check which games in that list share that same symbol
I didnt see the digital sales there. So that list is just physical sales then.

how do they steam sales then? isnt that digital sales too?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
It's not a video game sale. You're moving the goalpost.
then wtf is gamepass. A movie service?

It's second with many games in their second/third month. That doesn't mean sales are high for a triple A title.
that means every game sales is useless then, since other games who have 3 month sales are on that list, according to you.

And stop using the fans are located in the US as an excuse. Other halo games performed much better in Europe.
Halo is US game. understand that. Its where Xbox is strong at, its where most fans are located at.

I'm not going to continue this conversation. You have shown countless times of making excuses just to defend a point that you don't have.
you are the one who is making shit points, to the point you went a head, and said Europe. Xbox isnt even strong in Europe.

I think Amazon is going to make a big move soon. Luna added a lot of content recently, as well as a 720p option for people with poor broadband. They also have numerous games in development. Luna works really well and comes with a Prime subscription.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
In your dreams.
I was joking, pawl. 😘

But it would be fun to see angry fanboys insulting the world. 🤗

2021: "Lol Stadia"
2022: Google buys Sony, Take 2 or Sony.
"FUCK, GOOGLE. Video games are doomed 😭"

Nah, i think Google will just keep expand in Latam, Australia, India, Smart TVs with a few multi on Stadia. Nothing more... (minimum budget for 2022/2023 and possibly a server refresh in 2024 if the service "succeed" in Latam)

On the other hand, If Microsoft keeps buying a load of publishers maybe Google and Amazon will fight back.

Come on... Bethesda was "only" 7 billions: Google revenues in 2021 = 257 billions... For Google Bethesda is just a tips.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Stadia is a total failure to the point they did shut down their internal game development team,
Stadia is not a failure. Its the way those idiots at google advertised the system. It didnt have enough games on launch day. and promised too much shit.

Outside that, stadia is perfect as cloud streaming, and whoever one that one in the future, would have clear advantage in the cloud gaming race.

MS gave them the best ticket to revive Stadia. If they can buy Ubisoft, then they would have tons of IPs on their service. And that would jumb start their gaming division.
MS also has a shit on of money and 20 years after the release of the first Xbox, Sony continues to outperform them.
They spent $75b just to own bethesda and activision, which gives them massive advantage, compared to old xbox.

As long as money exist, competition means nothing. If MS buy take2, its over. they will get Grand theft auto series.

This why its meaningless to compare these 2. Money always buys success. that is the reality of this world.

yurinka

MS gave them the best ticket to revive Stadia. If they can buy Ubisoft, then they would have tons of IPs on their service. And that would jumb start their gaming division.
Ubisoft doesn't want to sell and they already have their own streaming service coming inside Amazon's Luna. They don't need Stadia.

They spent $75b just to own bethesda and activision, which gives them massive advantage, compared to old xbox.

As long as money exist, competition means nothing. If MS buy take2, its over. they will get Grand theft auto series.

This why its meaningless to compare these 2. Money always buys success. that is the reality of this world.
To buy someone the other part has to want to sell and people like EA or Take 2 seem to be more interested on buying than in to sell the company.

And well, even after acquring Zenimax, ABK and all the other ones they are still behind Sony in the basically all the areas where they compete directly. MS will have to keep buying big companies if they want to compette. It isn't over at all even if they buy GTA.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I was joking, pawl. 😘

But it would be fun to see angry fanboys insulting the world. 🤗

2021: "Lol Stadia"
2022: Google buys Sony, Take 2 or Sony.
"FUCK, GOOGLE. Video games are doomed 😭"

Nah, i think Google will just keep expand in Latam, Australia, India, Smart TVs with a few multi on Stadia. Nothing more... (minimum budget for 2022/2023 and possibly a server refresh in 2024 if the service "succeed" in Latam)

On the other hand, If Microsoft keeps buying a load of publishers maybe Google and Amazon will fight back.

Come on... Bethesda was "only" 7 billions: Google revenues in 2021 = 257 billions... For Google Bethesda is just a tips.
Well I'd rather they be spread out and possibly still come to other platforms than MS just get everything. Hopefully other companies stop them soon

kingfey

Banned
Ubisoft doesn't want to sell and they already have their own streaming service coming inside Amazon's Luna. They don't need Stadia.
Money talks. Bungie wanted to be independent. and look who bought them.

To buy someone the other part has to want to sell and people like EA or Take 2 seem to be more interested on buying than in to sell the company.
If the price is right, they can be bought. $68.7b activision deal changes their mind.

And well, even after acquring Zenimax, ABK and all the other ones they are still behind Sony in the basically all the areas where they compete directly. MS will have to keep buying big companies if they want to compette. It isn't over at all even if they buy GTA.
That is the revenue.
Bethesda and Activision didnt make anything for xbox. Once xbox gets those games, they will get new customers, which will boost their revenue.
The key part is buying 3rd party games, and you cant sell those if you dont have enough enticing 1st party. MS has those now. The rest would depend on both studio output.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
In your dreams.

Stadia is a total failure to the point they did shut down their internal game development team, and MS also has a shit on of money and 20 years after the release of the first Xbox, Sony continues to outperform them.

Apple makes more money from gaming than MS or Nintendo (in fact, only Tencent and Sony make more money than them from gaming) whitout having a console and without making their own games. They may do a console, but I highly doubt they would buy any dev or publisher.
Last year:

Microsoft, Amazon, Google are all targeting studio acquisitions, claims report​

As you can see in the article, he said Microsoft will buy something HUGE... and then add Sony will be part of that game but "nowhere" as comparable as MSFT, Amazon and Google.(it happened...Activision is HUGE but not Bungie... "nowhere" comparable)

Maybe nothing will happen for Google but hard to say it's complete science fiction.

Stadia closed its internal Studio in February 2021(the article January).

Scenario 1: Many gamers were right, Google will close Stadia in 2022.(most gamers were wrong thinking it will be dead in 2021)

Scenario 2: Stadia closed its Studios to imitate Microsoft acquisition Strategy. (old publishers with popular franchises are more reliable than creating a new studio)

Scenario 3: Google lead board observes the situation, gives modest budget for 2022 (Stadia on Smart TVs, Stadia in LATAM, youtube Click to Play) and then will decide the fate of Stadia at the end of the year.

I think scenario 3 is the most realistic, scenario 1 is a bit stupid (Google is currently hiring and registration in LATAM is ready) , scenario 2 would be a great surprise. (a EA or Take 2 could save Stadia... a true cloud native GTA could offer an unmatched experience with seamless gigantic cities with much less limitations than usual consoles)

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
It's a fact, not logic. Gamepass is not profitable, period.
EA has old games in EA play, not day one releases and even so, they are multiplatform, same as Ubisoft.

A lot of streaming services start trying to break even, most die without doing so.

Enjoy:

Do you guys have any article that says "Gamepass is profitable" with numbers and all or is it just wishful thinking?
No? Yeah... thought so.

If you say something, its your call to provide sources, not the rest of the world to fact check the contrary.
Also, the linked source doesnt say that gamepass is not profitable. Its just an opinion.

Faithless83

Banned
If you say something, its your call to provide sources, not the rest of the world to fact check the contrary.
Also, the linked source doesnt say that gamepass is not profitable. Its just an opinion.
Wouldn't that same logic apply to the people that said it is profitable? :messenger_sunglasses:
Microsoft said sustainable, which is different than profitable. Look it up.

Dr Bass

SlimySnake gave you the list.​

Gamepass is a sale for MS. Stop denying that.

Game is US. Its where most of its fans located at.

There is no way Game Pass can be a sale. I don't understand that thinking.

I spent a dollar on it for three years. I won't be giving MS any more money (most likely) until the beginning of 2025 but I get to play everything they have spent 77 billion on (and counting if you consider they now have to pay salaries for all of these studios) during that time.

I'm also about to drop 80 bucks on Horizon Forbidden West, and might get GT7. So thats 150 bucks on two games, to support two studios over the course of two months.

Which company do you think is better off here?

kingfey

Banned
It generates income from subscribed users. $200m is 3m AAA copy sold at 60$ price. that is 3m copy every month, and it go more, as subscribers count go up.

and as for profits, you break it down like game sale profits.

I spent a dollar on it for three years. I won't be giving MS any more money (most likely) until the beginning of 2025 but I get to play everything they have spent 77 billion on (and counting if you consider they now have to pay salaries for all of these studios) during that time.
I like this stupid take alot. Mind telling us how you got those 3 years deal? Because last time I heard, you had to pay 180$ upfront to get that 1$, and have your xbox live acount be fresh from gamepass.

Normal people dont spend that much. 15$ is what they can afford, not 180$ upfront.

I'm also about to drop 80 bucks on Horizon Forbidden West, and might get GT7. So thats 150 bucks on two games, to support two studios over the course of two months.
Sony doesnt get stable income like gamepass. They dont sell their games on pc. MS can simply get Sony like sales, and still make more money from gamepass.

20m xbox live users+25m gamepass users. That is stable income. None gamepass users will buy 1st party games. PC users will also buy xbox 1st party games since they drop day1 on steam. That is enough to make sales, which covers people who sub to gamepass. Not to mention, xbox games sell for along time on steam. It can reach 10m steam sales.

MS, because their approach gives them more money.

Sony has to rely on their system to sell games. MS relies on their system, on their windows pc, steam users, and gamepass users.

If Sony puts out 3 1st party games, and they sell 8m each for that year (very hard thing to do, since got took almost 2 years+ pandemic sales to hit that), they will sell 24m copies. since those games gets ps4 drop, the average price would be 65$. That is $1.56b.
If MS did the same, and they sell 5m copies each, that is 15m sale at 60$. $900m sales. If gamepass makes $200m a month, that is $2.4b. add that to 900m, and you have $3.3b revenue total. not profit, but revenue.

We can argue about profit wise, but in term of revenue, MS clearly makes more money with gamepass+pc+xbox.

disclaimer: This is not how much both companies make. They sell to global audience. with different currency, it might not represent actual value for both systems.

JLB

Banned
Wouldn't that same logic apply to the people that said it is profitable? :messenger_sunglasses:
Microsoft said sustainable, which is different than profitable. Look it up.
im not saying its profitable. Theres no data to say it one way or the other.

No, you didn't spend a dollar for three years. And it's super easy to construct such scenarios the other way round. There are people who only buy used games, for example.

Dr Bass

No, you didn't spend a dollar for three years. And it's super easy to construct such scenarios the other way round. There are people who only buy used games, for example.
I did.

Xbox live gold for three years. Converted to GP ultimate for 1 dollar for three years.

I do the online services for both anyway so I have PS+ and Xbox Live regardless.

So I converted to GP ultimate for a buck. For three full years. You can deny it all you want but I can show you a friggin’ receipt.

I did.

Xbox live gold for three years. Converted to GP ultimate for 1 dollar for three years.

I do the online services for both anyway so I have PS+ and Xbox Live regardless.

So I converted to GP ultimate for a buck. For three full years. You can deny it all you want but I can show you a friggin’ receipt.
Exactly, you paid for three years of gold.

Dr Bass

It generates income from subscribed users. $200m is 3m AAA copy sold at 60$ price. that is 3m copy every month, and it go more, as subscribers count go up.

and as for profits, you break it down like game sale profits.

I like this stupid take alot. Mind telling us how you got those 3 years deal? Because last time I heard, you had to pay 180$ upfront to get that 1$, and have your xbox live acount be fresh from gamepass.

Normal people dont spend that much. 15$ is what they can afford, not 180$ upfront.

Sony doesnt get stable income like gamepass. They dont sell their games on pc. MS can simply get Sony like sales, and still make more money from gamepass.

20m xbox live users+25m gamepass users. That is stable income. None gamepass users will buy 1st party games. PC users will also buy xbox 1st party games since they drop day1 on steam. That is enough to make sales, which covers people who sub to gamepass. Not to mention, xbox games sell for along time on steam. It can reach 10m steam sales.

MS, because their approach gives them more money.

Sony has to rely on their system to sell games. MS relies on their system, on their windows pc, steam users, and gamepass users.

If Sony puts out 3 1st party games, and they sell 8m each for that year (very hard thing to do, since got took almost 2 years+ pandemic sales to hit that), they will sell 24m copies. since those games gets ps4 drop, the average price would be 65$. That is $1.56b.
If MS did the same, and they sell 5m copies each, that is 15m sale at 60$. $900m sales. If gamepass makes $200m a month, that is $2.4b. add that to 900m, and you have $3.3b revenue total. not profit, but revenue.

We can argue about profit wise, but in term of revenue, MS clearly makes more money with gamepass+pc+xbox.

disclaimer: This is not how much both companies make. They sell to global audience. with different currency, it might not represent actual value for both systems.
Stupid take? What is wrong with you Xbox warriors?

Yeah, I bought three years of gold off Amazon for 55 each year. Redeemed the coupons. Then I converted to GPU for a buck. I would argue a lot of people do this and this is one reason MS won’t reveal numbers. We already know they make less revenue than Sony so you cant argue it’s a better money maker for them. It’s asinine.

It’s freaking weird to me how much the same group of people try to argue for some giant corporation that uses Office 365 money to subsidize their games operation then also try to tell me I’m not actually using their products because I’m not subscribing the way they wished I did.

To repeat yes GPU costs 1 dollar because I buy XBL anyway. Yes I was free of game pass before I did that. And if everything is the same when my sub is up, I’ll let it all expire and then do it again.

It’s funny. I just play and own everything. I’m currently going through Halo Infinite. And the Xbox crowd here still insists I’m not telling the truth or something. Or that somehow MS is better off with my extra dollar than Sony is with my 70 bucks per game. Do you guys even like games or is this corporate sports? I don’t even give a crud about any of the companies, I just play games from everyone and call it like I see it. And you just can’t get over that. I suggest a little outdoors time for some.

kingfey

Banned
Stupid take? What is wrong with you Xbox warriors?
Who is the xbox warrior here?
You literally said people spend 1$ for 3 years, while omitting the fact that they have to spend 180$ first. mention that 1st, before you type that 1$.

Yeah, I bought three years of gold off Amazon for 55 each year. Redeemed the coupons. Then I converted to GPU for a buck. I would argue a lot of people do this and this is one reason MS won’t reveal numbers. We already know they make less revenue than Sony so you cant argue it’s a better money maker for them. It’s asinine.
then you spent 165$ upfront. That is not saving alot of money. You will have to wait 1 year to see profits of your action.

Also, not alot of people use this method. Spending that much money is not feasible thing to do for majority of people. Unless you are rich guy, make 10k a month, 168$-180$ is not easy thing to do. That is 1/6th -1/8th of paycheck for alot of people.

It’s freaking weird to me how much the same group of people try to argue for some giant corporation that uses Office 365 money to subsidize their games operation then also try to tell me I’m not actually using their products because I’m not subscribing the way they wished I did.
No one is arguing with you on that one. You have better life, than most of people. From your willingness to spend 165$ at one go, shows that money isnt an issue to you. but the world isnt like you.

I can spend 180$ just like you. But I am going to suffer from that financially. That money covers my internet, and phone bills. i would have to sacrifice those to get this deal.

15$ is much safer term financially for alot of people. It doesnt make a big impact on me. Even though I am paying 540 in 3 years, I am still paying 15$ a month. I can get those 15$ again from my paycheck. That what most people will look at.

To repeat yes GPU costs 1 dollar because I buy XBL anyway. Yes I was free of game pass before I did that. And if everything is the same when my sub is up, I’ll let it all expire and then do it again.
Just like I stated before, its financial risk for alot of people. 15$ is much sane option to majority of people.

It’s funny. I just play and own everything. I’m currently going through Halo Infinite. And the Xbox crowd here still insists I’m not telling the truth or something. Or that somehow MS is better off with my extra dollar than Sony is with my 70 bucks per game. Do you guys even like games or is this corporate sports? I don’t even give a crud about any of the companies, I just play games from everyone and call it like I see it. And you just can’t get over that. I suggest a little outdoors time for some.
No one is going after your ownership here. Or cheering for these corporation. I buy my games on steam. I am going to buy horizon forbidden west, arcues in the future, and elden ring too.

People just like cheaper option to access those games. These corporation are the same people who force online pay. I will never cheer for any of them.

We may talk about financial stuff or gamepass, but I will never ever ever cap to MS, after the shit they have done to PC community. I hate them to the core. They can go fuck themselves in hell.

Topher

Gold Member
they already have their own streaming service coming inside Amazon's Luna.

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

My dirty mind

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
im not saying its profitable. Theres no data to say it one way or the other.
Imagine being a company that needs investors for a big new thing.
Wouldn't you scream your lungs out once it was profitable, so it could attract more investors?

It's a simple logic.

Why MS didn't provide numbers for Xbox sales?
Because it was selling more than PS?

We both know the answer to these.

JLB

Banned
Imagine being a company that needs investors for a big new thing.
Wouldn't you scream your lungs out once it was profitable, so it could attract more investors?

It's a simple logic.

Why MS didn't provide numbers for Xbox sales?
Because it was selling more than PS?

We both know the answer to these.

Not really.
GP could be easily profitable, but they dont want to disclose such numbers since they could be useful for the competition or partners.
I mean, if EA knew if gp is highly profitable they could potentially negotiate from a better position.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
Not really.
GP could be easily profitable, but they dont want to disclose such numbers since they could be useful for the competition or partners.
I mean, if EA knew if gp is highly profitable they could potentially negotiate from a better position.
This does not ring true. Everyone knows Steam is highly profitable, whether they release numbers or not. Yet *Valve* is the one with all the leverage when a dev wants their game on Steam. Same for Apple and the App Store, etc.

JLB

Banned
This does not ring true. Everyone knows Steam is highly profitable, whether they release numbers or not. Yet *Valve* is the one with all the leverage when a dev wants their game on Steam. Same for Apple and the App Store, etc.
not the same thing at all. Im talking about going to companies where ms negotiates one by one, case by case, in a very rovate way the amount to be paid to have their games on gamepass.
Steam is a fixed % for everyone, its public and theres nothing more in the equation.

zaanan

Banned
not the same thing at all. Im talking about going to companies where ms negotiates one by one, case by case, in a very rovate way the amount to be paid to have their games on gamepass.
Exactly. *If* Gamepass was profitable, everyone would be trying hard to get on it, just like devs go to Apple or Valve. If MS is going to companies and throwing money at them to get their games on GP, then MS is obviously not in a position of strength. So your assertion that GP is “easily profitable” is not consistent with the facts. The real-world examples we have of successful game delivery services (Steam, Apple, streaming notwithstanding) shows that profitability is a bargaining chip in the service’s favor.
Steam is a fixed % for everyone, its public and theres nothing more in the equation.
False. Bigger companies and/or games negotiate for a lower cut to Valve. If Valve wants it bad enough, they negotiate the cut. And both keep it private.

Faithless83

Banned
Not really.
Yeah, they do the same with console sales numbers to avoid people knowing about their small market share.
Makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom