• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Big video game deals in final stages of negotiations

In reality FTC will probably accellerata the things
there's a rumor that the Activision deal will go faster than anyone expect and will close at the end of 2022. meanwhile Ms can setup next one (assuming Geoff and Jeff aren't already talking about ms)
I honestly believe everyone is so focused on Sony and MS that no one is even considering that the next big one (and i mean over 50b acquisition) to be from someone other than those 2.

Ogbert

This is such utter bollocks.

No one is going to leak about a potential acquisition unless they fancy getting investigated by the SEC for stock manipulation. Honestly, it’s absolute bullshit that anyone would tell the Dorito Pope, of all people.

MonarchJT

Banned
I honestly believe everyone is so focused on Sony and MS that no one is even considering that the next big one (and i mean over 50b acquisition) to be from someone other than those 2.
i already told that i think will be apple Google or Amazon. but at this point especially after MS 70b I don't know what could happen anymore

Plantoid

I've said at least 3 times already, Ms is buying WB, you can bookmark this.

Also I believe that Sony goes for Capcom, but this one I'm not that certain

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Yes, this.

But im still curious what they will do with a publisher.

Google, literally shut down there first party, so it makes little sense for them to aquire a publisher.

Amazon could buy EA or Take 2 to have content on luna/prime, but they would need to buy both for it to be compelling and they may still keep the games multiplatform.

Apple could I guess, for a similar purpose to amazon. But having AAA developers like respawn or R* is new ground for apple and they would need hardware which could run these type of games, with be in the cloud or local.

I Think Facebook is more likely contender.
Zuck is banking on VR + AR being the next OS/internet interface and general computing device.
But this interface is in 3D, it has most in common with games, funnily enough, where gane developers are going to be as important as OS developers in the new era. I could see Facebook buying Take 2 for this reason. R* are the best at making 3d worlds.

We are past the point of that already anything can happen nothing is off the tables anymore MS and Sony are all in full acquisition mode they trying to get everyone so that Facebook, Amazon & Google don't try and come in
We are? Because I've seen studio acquisitions left and right and none of them have been Japanese.

THEAP99

Banned
Sony estimates they've spent 7.4B out of the 17.5B they allocated
So they probably aren't getting a Capcom or Square. Could see them get Kadokawa and get From alongside it

Thirty7ven

Banned

No one is going to leak about a potential acquisition unless they fancy getting investigated by the SEC for stock manipulation. Honestly, it’s absolute bullshit that anyone would tell the Dorito Pope, of all people.

Somebody as well connected as Geoff will have access to studios partnering up with company A or B for their next game, but he won't be told what kind of deal is in place.

Of course nobody will have access to information like publishers being acquired. Independent, privately owned studios? Absolutely he could have access to that.

Chiggs

Sony estimates they've spent 7.4B out of the 17.5B they allocated
So they probably aren't getting a Capcom or Square. Could see them get Kadokawa and get From alongside it

From’s the only one that would make me stand up and say “Goddamn!”

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Yes, this.

But im still curious what they will do with a publisher.

Google, literally shut down there first party, so it makes little sense for them to aquire a publisher.
It depends... Heads of Google could think their own Studio wasn't that good and could be more interested by established publishers.

Their current goal is infiltrating 100% of Smart TVs (they'll reach 70% in 2022 with LG, TCL, Hisense and soon Samsung), and country expansion (Stadia brand has been approved in Brazil, Australia).

Maybe Google didn't wan't new Studio and just wanted to rely on White Labelling + multiplatform games...

But Microsoft did change the game for everyone:

Amazon, Google will be forced to buy Studios if Microsoft keeps blocking entire publishers...

Fight back or die.

Amazon and Google can respond.

This. Common sense dictates that nobody but literally a handful of the top people know about potential acquisitions, and those people have nothing to gain and everything to lose by leaking information. TL;DR nobody knows jack shit.

Helghan

Is it that hard to understand the "straight to gamepass MS releases" like Battletoads?
More low budget games, since eventually you'll need to earn more than you spend
I don't understand why everything has to be funded with MTX and become a GaaS if it's day one on Game Pass. Let's take the ridiculous assumption that in the future, Game Pass is only available for $15 (no discounts and promos) and 50 million people use it. That's $9 billion a year. They can easily build big games and run those studios with this kind of money. And that's without any MTX included in here.

I just don't get the assumption of you that everything will be MTX on game pass to fund it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It depends... Heads of Google could think their own Studio wasn't that good and could be more interested by established publishers.

Their current goal is infiltrating 100% of Smart TVs (they'll reach 70% in 2022 with LG, TCL, Hisense and soon Samsung), and country expansion (Stadia brand has been approved in Brazil, Australia).

Maybe Google didn't wan't new Studio and just wanted to rely on White Labelling + multiplatform games...

But Microsoft did change the game for everyone:

Amazon, Google will be forced to buy Studios if Microsoft keeps blocking entire publishers...

Fight back or die.

Amazon and Google can respond.
That is a possibility. But still a pretty bone head move on there part, they got rid of gems like Shanon studstill and jade Raymond.

Orpheum

My prediction:

Sony gets: Square, Capcom, FromSoft, Remedy & Supermassive Games

MS gets: WB Games, Ubisoft, Sega, IOI, Crytek & Asobo Studios

Nintendo: Don't care they doing they own thing lol
I agree for the most part. But in my opinion Ubisoft and Capcom will stay out of this for now but who am i to judge. I would have never thought about the possibility of Microsoft buying Activision so my opinion is worth fuck all

chonga

An actual "leaker" that actually knows something for a change.
When does he leak anything? All he does is hype up stuff way beyond the hype level required.

He is probably talking about a new great deal Sony has got on it's stationary supply.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
That is a possibility. But still a pretty bone head move on there part, they got rid of gems like Shanon studstill and jade Raymond.
Yeah a "little shame" but i would prefere they find a way to secure AAA or japanese games on Stadia.

I admit the road map of Google is too blurry...
But anything can happen with them. (in 6 months they had integration on 70% of Smart TVsTVs which is huge for their future if they take correctly advantage of it.That's not secured with Google though :/)

Last edited:

oldergamer

If they buy something it won't be anything big for now. The FTC is already onto them after the Activision acquisition...and those things can take a while.
They wouldn't acquire something big while this huge merger is happening i think.
FTC reviewing a deal isn't going to dramatically impact other acquisitions.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Also it might not be just WB games that is up for sale. All of warner bros:

This would be something that Nobody would expect.

If anything that'll be a serious catch for Sony Pictures, not MS. It'll be a massive stunt if MS go for the whole WB as they can't compliment them or cut their budgets down as Sony could. With Sony's industry-leading cinema cameras, Sony's CLED screens, Sony Imageworks, they can really help WB to get back on its feet by having in-house hardware and shared assets.

Buying WB Games with game IP's would make sense to MS, but not the whole company as it'll continue sinking as a whole and be sold for cheap later or shut down in worst case scenario.

Last edited:
If anything that'll be a serious catch for Sony Pictures, not MS. It'll be a massive stunt if MS go for the while WB as they can't compliment them or cut their budgets down as Sony could. With Sony's industry-leading cinema cameras, Sony's CLED screens, Sony Imageworks, they can really help WB to get back on its feet by having in-house hardware and shared assets.

Buying WB Games with game IP's would make sense to MS, but not the whole company as it'll continue sinking as a whole and be sold for cheap later or shut down in worst case scenario.

Yeah this'd be a good one for Sony Pictures. They really need some strong movie IPs. Can't keep relying on Spiderman forever

Plus the DC movies are shit anyway, so no loss if they're still shit under Sony

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
While I doubt this will happen given the valuation and the owner's comments, I think CDPR wold be another good targetted pick up for Sony.

They are sorely lacking a Bethesda competitor for WRPG games. CDPR would provide that for them and be a similar "targetted" acquisition. However, I think Sony would get a much better deal from Square/Capcom for a similar price. I am curious what CDPR is currently valued at though.

How much is CDPR worth?

reinking

Gold Member

$200 billion in annual revenue​

Don't be afraid, Sony loyalists.

Google will just eat Sony for breakfast.

No more fear (Bethesda, Activision...), your suffering will end soon enough. 🤗🥰😇
Xbox fans and Phil seem to be more worried about Google and Amazon than Sony fans. Not sure why you singled them out.

In my own opinion, If we are going to see large corporations buy up game publishers and devs I want to see Amazon, Apple and Google join the fray. I am no more scared of them than Sony or Microsoft when it comes to buying up resources.

Last edited:
More of this shit? Whatever, I’ll be going PC/Nintendo only after this gen. At least then I can play basically everything on offer.

His obviously talking about daddy Phil acquiring Neogaf. Evillore is in the final negotiations as we speak. This exclusive deal will wash out all the left over blue rats and only contain the green ones and they will dominate the gaming community of NeoGaf and spread the green rat poison across the gaming industry! :p

Last edited:
What if MS buys Sony 😬

oooh.gif

Faithless83

Banned
I don't understand why everything has to be funded with MTX and become a GaaS if it's day one on Game Pass. Let's take the ridiculous assumption that in the future, Game Pass is only available for $15 (no discounts and promos) and 50 million people use it. That's $9 billion a year. They can easily build big games and run those studios with this kind of money. And that's without any MTX included in here.

I just don't get the assumption of you that everything will be MTX on game pass to fund it.
They need profit, there are investors and it's a business not charity.
Old games/games that won't sell on the platform on day 1 I get it, this is how games get there, they won't sell enough on Xbox so the payment upfront is enough to cover the "loss of not selling there".

But on exclusives that no one on that platform will buy? And remember, 15USD down the line, as most people are on 2 years plan for xbox live + one buck.
How long can you afford to lose money (yeah, they didn't break even with gamepass yet)? And even so, how will this be profitable if each game costs millions to make?
This is where the indie like/MTX/GaaS comes into play.

It's not a big brain moment, it's logic.

"I'm on the fence"

AKA

"I have no opinion until I know what the general gaming base thinks so I can have that opinion and ride that train to a payday"

Geoff is the king of saying what he's supposed to. It did provide him a career so I get it, but he's just such a douche canoe.

kingfey

Banned
They need profit, there are investors and it's a business not charity.
Old games/games that won't sell on the platform on day 1 I get it, this is how games get there, they won't sell enough on Xbox so the payment upfront is enough to cover the "loss of not selling there".
Xbox didnt have enough 1st party killers, hence why the games sold less there. People bought those games on the playstation consoles.
This time its different though. 3rd party games would sell alot, because of gamepass engagement, and xbox having killer line ups.

But on exclusives that no one on that platform will buy? And remember, 15USD down the line, as most people are on 2 years plan for xbox live + one buck.
How long can you afford to lose money (yeah, they didn't break even with gamepass yet)? And even so, how will this be profitable if each game costs millions to make?
This is where the indie like/MTX/GaaS comes into play.
That is just plainly false. MTX games fail faster than SP games. All you hear about is the succesful ones. What about the ones that had to close their game, because not enough players play their game?

Only big hits makes insane amount of money. The rest dont.
Marvels avengers is clear example of that.

Faithless83

Banned
Xbox didnt have enough 1st party killers, hence why the games sold less there. People bought those games on the playstation consoles.
This time its different though. 3rd party games would sell alot, because of gamepass engagement, and xbox having killer line ups.
What is the relation between third parties selling more if people who have gamepass don't buy games?
See the problem here? It will never sell well.
It will be the mobile space equivalent. A lot of cash grab/"gamepass experiences".
That is just plainly false. MTX games fail faster than SP games. All you hear about is the succesful ones. What about the ones that had to close their game, because not enough players play their game?

Only big hits makes insane amount of money. The rest dont.
Marvels avengers is clear example of that.
So it's either risky MTX plagued/GaaS experiences, or big studios going "indie" because of cost. Sounds like a bright future alright. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Interfectum

If anything that'll be a serious catch for Sony Pictures, not MS. It'll be a massive stunt if MS go for the whole WB as they can't compliment them or cut their budgets down as Sony could. With Sony's industry-leading cinema cameras, Sony's CLED screens, Sony Imageworks, they can really help WB to get back on its feet by having in-house hardware and shared assets.

Apple will most likely be the ones to snag WB as they need to give TV+ a heartbeat and this would give them IP and studios for any gaming ventures they dip into.

kingfey

Banned
What is the relation between third parties selling more if people who have gamepass don't buy games?
See the problem here? It will never sell well.
It will be the mobile space equivalent. A lot of cash grab/"gamepass experiences".
You need games to attract your console. If you dont have killer lineups, people wont spend that much on your console. Xbox one suffered badly from this.

Right now, their console have gamepass, a ludicrous deal. and good line up, compared to xbox one. This would encourage people to buy xbox.

Once they own the device, they will be able to buy 3rd party games.

That is how business work. You need to give a reason to customers, to spend money on your system.

So it's either risky MTX plagued/GaaS experiences, or big studios going "indie" because of cost. Sounds like a bright future alright. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Its what people want. People play those games, spend their money on those games.

Look at movies. before it was cinema. Then disc movies come out. And now its streaming movies. People change the industry. The industry go to where people spend money on.

If you wanna fight those mtx games, then go fight against those people who spend money on those games.

RevGaming

3rd party games would sell alot, because of gamepass engagement, and xbox having killer line ups.
Tell that to Halo not even making it to the top 20 NPD of 2021 and Forza only reaching top 20.
The only games that sell better are indie games people wouldn't have known they existed. The only way half of Xbox studios make Rockstar level games is if the price increases, A LOT, and by then a lot of people will say it's not worth it because they rather buy the few games they care about instead.

yurinka

$200 billion in annual revenue​

Don't be afraid, Sony loyalists.

Google will just eat Sony for breakfast.

No more fear (Bethesda, Activision...), your suffering will end soon enough. 🤗🥰😇
In your dreams.

Stadia is a total failure to the point they did shut down their internal game development team, and MS also has a shit on of money and 20 years after the release of the first Xbox, Sony continues to outperform them.

Apple will most likely be the ones to snag WB as they need to give TV+ a heartbeat and this would give them IP and studios for any gaming ventures they dip into.
Apple makes more money from gaming than MS or Nintendo (in fact, only Tencent and Sony make more money than them from gaming) whitout having a console and without making their own games. They may do a console, but I highly doubt they would buy any dev or publisher.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Tell that to Halo not even making it to the top 20 NPD of 2021 and Forza only reaching top 20.
The only games that sell better are indie games people wouldn't have known they existed. The only way half of Xbox studios make Rockstar level games is if the price increases, A LOT, and by then a lot of people will say it's not worth it because they rather buy the few games they care about instead.
I like these stupid takes.

Top Bottom