• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: Big video game deals in final stages of negotiations

kingfey

Banned
Frustrated Jason Segel GIF by NETFLIX

While I doubt this will happen given the valuation and the owner's comments, I think CDPR wold be another good targetted pick up for Sony.

They are sorely lacking a Bethesda competitor for WRPG games. CDPR would provide that for them and be a similar "targetted" acquisition. However, I think Sony would get a much better deal from Square/Capcom for a similar price. I am curious what CDPR is currently valued at though.

MaulerX

if he doesn’t own stock in them, he can report what ever he hears

That's not point. If he knows about them then other people do as well. Who's to say anybody "in the know" hasn't secretly bought a few stocks in anticipation?

Funny how now all of a sudden these clout chasers know everything but didn't know jack when MS announced the ABK acquisition.

//DEVIL//

I am going to bet this has nothing to do with MS. I don't think after the acti deal they will buy anything for the time being.

I am going to guess it's Sony + some company probably in Japan.

well.. I would hope this is the case, MS to be the only major player in the market isn't really something I route for (the same goes for any company including Sony ).

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
While I doubt this will happen given the valuation and the owner's comments, I think CDPR wold be another good targetted pick up for Sony.
How?
How the fuck you think CDPR is good pick up for Sony? They are not only PC first developer but they are literally polar opposite of Sony philosophy of making games.
They are also main distributor of classic games in PC market. Games that by words of Jim Ryan no one wants to play.
Did you just put them there because Sony is lacking RPG games and they are making good ones?

I'm also not sure if they would want to make bussines with Sony after Sony blocked sales of cyberpunk when CDPR promised they will refund every unhappy customer.

synce

Is it good for games? How would this be good in ANY industry? I can't think of a single example where a company was absorbed by another and benefitted anyone who didn't directly make money off it.

We are past the point of that already anything can happen nothing is off the tables anymore MS and Sony are all in full acquisition mode they trying to get everyone so that Facebook, Amazon & Google don't try and come in
I remember there is japan law that limit foreign company to buy japanese company. Especially with tech company.

Last edited:
Meanwhile all Sony's numbers are up to some record numbers for this year: Sony raises annual operating profit forecast to $10.5bn

All in all, the company wasn't this healthy since at least 20 years ago.

This next year it will be fun.

Sony's latest studio acquisitions:

June 2021 - Housemarque
July 2021 - Nixees (ports)
September 2021 - Firesprite
September 2021 - Fabrik Games (support studio. added to Firesprite)
September 2021 - Bluepoint (remasters experts)
December 2021 - Valkyrie Entertainment (support studio)
January 2022 - Bungie

Basically we got 7 acquisitions in 7 months. It's safe to say 2022 will be bigger than this.

SSfox

No one mentioned this yet but i can totally see Sony aquiring Arcsys, not too expansive while they'll add a huge value to playstation studios.

Only thing that would make me happy is if Sony got Konami, and had Kojima anoint successors to produce Metal Gear, Silent Hill, and Castlevania. But no, things will probably going to stay the same and we will get a low budget ridiculous Silent Hill game from Bloober. Maybe Konami is up for purchase.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
So Jeff tweet about it ....and an avalanche of insults and even requests for bans of him as source arrive .. Doritos pope and goty sales man write the same and all fall from the clouds as the big news arrived ahahhaand

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
And why is consolidation bad?
No it was only sony fans saying it was bad. Couldn't be further from the truth in saying that.
Is it that hard to understand the "straight to gamepass MS releases" like Battletoads?
More low budget games, since eventually you'll need to earn more than you spend.

Sony is going PC to help cope with the costs of development and MS is going the other way around, plus buying more studios.
Games aren't movies and series, this is not netflix and even them are struggling to grow:

Studios bought will have to either cut expenses or focus on cheaper games with MTX.
Pretty much everything will be GaaS/MTX, big studios doing indie like games/rehashing the same game yearly.

DrAspirino

Banned
Also it might not be just WB games that is up for sale. All of warner bros:

This would be something that Nobody would expect.
If the entire Warner Bros is being sold (and not just the videogame division), I can see Netflix or Apple buying it to get more content and licenses.

MonarchJT

Banned
Meanwhile all Sony's numbers are up to some record numbers for this year: Sony raises annual operating profit forecast to $10.5bn

All in all, the company wasn't this healthy since at least 20 years ago.

This next year it will be fun.

Sony's latest studio acquisitions:

June 2021 - Housemarque
July 2021 - Nixees (ports)
September 2021 - Firesprite
September 2021 - Fabrik Games (support studio. added to Firesprite)
September 2021 - Bluepoint (remasters experts)
December 2021 - Valkyrie Entertainment (support studio)
January 2022 - Bungie

Basically we got 7 acquisitions in 7 months. It's safe to say 2022 will be bigger than this.
imagine Microsoft what will buy!

MonarchJT

Banned
If they buy something it won't be anything big for now. The FTC is already onto them after the Activision acquisition...and those things can take a while.
They wouldn't acquire something big while this huge merger is happening i think.
In reality FTC will probably accellerata the things
there's a rumor that the Activision deal will go faster than anyone expect and will close at the end of 2022. meanwhile Ms can setup next one (assuming Geoff and Jeff aren't already talking about ms)

Last edited:
Top Bottom