• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GDC Vault: Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart Lighting Tech Talk

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I know many of us love hearing how a game's tech works straight from the developers who create them so I wanted to share this tech talk discussing the lighting in RC Rift Apart. The indirect lighting in Rift Apart is very convincing, considering the lack of RTGI.

Video: https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1027792/Recalibrating-Our-Limits-Lighting-on
Slide Presentation: https://ubm-twvideo01.s3.amazonaws....lides/RecalibratingOurLimits_Mullen_Brian.pdf

The entire talk is 50min but is very engaging and not dry at all.

Interesting points:

1. The speakers discuss how keeping a minimalist and disciplined approach to their PBR based rendering workflow was key to final look; excess light probes that were inserted to mitigate avoidable deficiencies tanked performance and caused scenes to look washed out (I personally think this might be the case for certain spots in Forbidden West).
zaHzG1e.jpg

4nwcOGu.jpg

2. Even with the disciplined workflow approach, lighting render budget was often blown due to ambitions for the next gen title from other departments; higher fidelity characters, environments, etc. results in increased lighting computation. They credited the Insomniac Core Technology team for being able to implement ray traced reflections in such a performant and super-efficient manner, as well as the Environment team for their LOD management, which allowed them to stay within budget.

3. Post Processing was the final step to achieving the cinematic art style of the game ("We wanted lens flare that would make Star Trek jealous").

J9FZxwc.jpg

hgLKqrK.jpg

Oh this is interesting as heck. Thanks for sharing and it's definitely one of my favorite PS5 games. Really mind blowing how good the game looks.

Meme time.

PIXAR

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Oh this is interesting as heck. Thanks for sharing and it's definitely one of my favorite PS5 games. Really mind blowing how good the game looks.

Meme time.

PIXAR

No prob. The GDC Vault website has a lot of presentations that haven't been published to YouTube. I'm currently looking at Returnal VFX tech talk and I know there's a few for HFW and one for Microsoft Flight Simulator that I'll look at tonight. Hopefully others here can post to share them with TL;DR summary for the games they're interested in.

No prob. The GDC Vault website has a lot of presentations that haven't been published to YouTube. I'm currently looking at Returnal VFX tech talk and I know there's a few for HFW and one for Microsoft Flight Simulator that I'll look at tonight. Hopefully others here can post to share them with TL;DR summary for the games they're interested in.

Some people shit on the game for the tricks that the developers use. But in my opinion if those tricks end up with a great looking product it's well worth it. If anything it's a testament to how well the developers manage their resources. Definitely nothing to be ashamed about.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The Rift Apart GDC talk is what I've been waiting on, thanks for this OP.

Top Bottom