• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you'd kill to have a multiplayer scene resurrected for.

Aldynes

The original Lost Planet, very underrated MP, the weapons, maps, mechs, grappling hook, weapons had hidden effect like ejecting the pilot of a merch you could always make a comeback and have counter play to everything, the maps were huge the data post system to score reminded me of Battlefield with the tickets, the weapons were pick ups on the maps with power position to control like Halo, man... so much memories

Windheim

Neo Member
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown.

I was criminally late for this and would like to play with someone who is actually good at this game but online is completely dead (Xbox).

Shkyboy924

Neo Member
IkbUW9f.jpg

I'd sell my left ballbag to have MGO2 back officially.

Jeeves

Kirby Air Ride.

I'd settle for people to play splitscreen with again on the existing game. But man I would kill for a sequel focused on City Trial mode with online play.

Personally, I nominate Resistance: fall of man. One of the most fun MPs I've ever played. I even think I managed to get all medals. Would be a-fucking-mazing if someone at Insomniac made it a spare time project to put out a trophy patch into R:FoM.

Red Faction Guerilla. I miss sniping ppl through multiple walls with a railgun, learning weapon and ammo spawn locations, using multiple awesome weapons to tear through buildings to get guys hiding inside, or myself respawning and running inside for gear only to take out the pillars that held the thing up and have it tumble around me while I jetpack through a window or the roof. The Rhino pack was also a blast to use. Also the struggle to fight and race agianst other players for the mini-nuke launcher thing was great too! So many great memories. Can't believe no one has topped that game's destruction since, I don't think that voxel game is that impressive tbh.

I know it has a remaster out, but I try to avoid remasters with a few exceptions. I want a new game. I bet the mp is just as small and dead as the first.

Handshake Reaction GIF

Underrated, very unique, and, fun MP if anything. Its a crying shame it never really took off.

Last edited:
Resistance: Fall of Man
StarCraft: Broodwar
Ratchet: Deadlocked
WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne (specifically vampirism fire and tree tag) - fuck the remaster and blizzard's bs

PSO1 with voice chat, and Mechassault 2.

God the first few years of Xbox Live were magical.
YES!

I vividly remember getting it for Christmas, the OG Xbox Live and headset. i skipped school one day, came back after mom had left for work, and VERY CAREFULLY unwrapped Xbox Live and Unreal Championship, set it up/installed it, and played online. That was my first time playing a CTF match too, I was in awe.

Had a bitch of a time re-wrapping those gifts, haha

Unreal Championship
any Tom Clancy game from OG Xbox, especially Ghost Recon Island Thunder
pso
Crimson Skies
Mechassault 2
PGR2
Halo 2
shit I actually really loved XSN Sports

on the playstation side of things I’ve seen a bunch of awesome posts
mgo2
motherfucking WARHAWK
Socom
MAG
i loved motorstorm online too

mcjmetroid

You know another game with well implemented bots? Red Faction 2. I remember they were quite a challenge. I really liked that game, considering the wrap it gets these days~
I think people didn't like the one player bit I thought the multiplayer was miles better than Timeplitters for instance.

Much more maps for one and .. you can jump haha

MrFunSocks

Banned
Titanfall first and foremost, favourite MP game of all time. Not the trash that is titanfall 2 though.

Gears 1 and 3. Amazing and the sequels aren’t as good.

COD4 and MW2. Series went downhill from there with too much to unbalance it.

Crackdown 3. Hear me out haha. It was so incredibly unique, literally no other game like it on the market. The cloud destruction was amazing too.

Quake 3 on Dreamcast was amazing.

Quake 2 on PS1 had some amazing maps.

Perfect Dark goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I don’t care about any competitive game, but it would be nice to have Resistance 2’s co-op mode back. A team of various players from 3 classes that level up taking on semi-randomised levels was something I was all over as a dedicated medic. No one died on my watch.

mcz117chief

None, they are dead because they just aren't up to par anymore. I got burned by this already many times. Whenever there was a revival of an online scene for a game I adored and desperately wanted to play again, I played 1 or 2 matches and was like "huh, was it always this boring?". Examples:

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory: I tried it a year back and there are still plenty of people playing, no issues at all with finding any kinds of servers, moded or vanilla. The thing is that after about 5 matches I kind of had my fill and I never went back again, modern shooters are just better.

Warhawk: I bought it a few months before the servers went offline and that game was one of the jankiest experiences I ever had. I played it for novelty for about a day but I didn't have much fun with it, no wonder there were only 2 servers, nobody liked the game.

Battlefroge: I was extremely excited when I heard that a team is reviving this game and I was there day 1 to play it but after a few days I kind of forgot about it. It is still the best one out of all the games mentioned though, the game can still be fun for people who haven't played it as much as I did I'm sure.

Red Faction Guerilla: I always thought it was one of the most underrated multiplayers of all time and I kept reminiscing how incredible it was. When the remaster happened I bought it exclusively for the multiplayer, played 2 games and realized why it died, it really isn't a good multiplayer. Some cool ideas but the execution isn't there. Wrecking crew is fun though.

If a game is good it is alive, if it isn't alive it either got surpassed by a better game or it wasn't good to begin with, end of story.

Titanfall first and foremost, favourite MP game of all time. Not the trash that is titanfall 2 though.

The servers still work, I play it from time to time, there is always enough people to get a game going.

Last edited:
Easily Twisted Metal 2012.

The gameplay design was as damn-near perfect as it gets (it fixed kill-stealing!) and its intensity still remains unmatched for me.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
None, they are dead because they just aren't up to par anymore. I got burned by this already many times. Whenever there was a revival of an online scene for a game I adored and desperately wanted to play again, I played 1 or 2 matches and was like "huh, was it always this boring?". Examples:

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory: I tried it a year back and there are still plenty of people playing, no issues at all with finding any kinds of servers, moded or vanilla. The thing is that after about 5 matches I kind of had my fill and I never went back again, modern shooters are just better.

Warhawk: I bought it a few months before the servers went offline and that game was one of the jankiest experiences I ever had. I played it for novelty for about a day but I didn't have much fun with it, no wonder there were only 2 servers, nobody liked the game.

Battlefroge: I was extremely excited when I heard that a team is reviving this game and I was there day 1 to play it but after a few days I kind of forgot about it. It is still the best one out of all the games mentioned though, the game can still be fun for people who haven't played it as much as I did I'm sure.

Red Faction Guerilla: I always thought it was one of the most underrated multiplayers of all time and I kept reminiscing how incredible it was. When the remaster happened I bought it exclusively for the multiplayer, played 2 games and realized why it died, it really isn't a good multiplayer. Some cool ideas but the execution isn't there. Wrecking crew is fun though.

If a game is good it is alive, if it isn't alive it either got surpassed by a better game or it wasn't good to begin with, end of story.

The servers still work, I play it from time to time, there is always enough people to get a game going.
I’m in Australia though, so that doesn’t help unfortunately.

Tschumi

I'd love a fresh vanilla WoW private server
---
The original Lost Planet, very underrated MP, the weapons, maps, mechs, grappling hook, weapons had hidden effect like ejecting the pilot of a merch you could always make a comeback and have counter play to everything, the maps were huge the data post system to score reminded me of Battlefield with the tickets, the weapons were pick ups on the maps with power position to control like Halo, man... so much memories

I remember that game was so dammmn intriguing when PS3 first came out.. it just looked so good, so next gen, so beyond what had come before.. to this day I've still not played it because whenever I've had a chance to buy and play a copy poor reviews have stayed my spending hand~

Last edited by a moderator:

mcz117chief

I'd love a fresh vanilla WoW private server
---

I remember that game was so dammmn intriguing when PS3 first came out.. it just looked so good, so next gen, so beyond what had come before.. to this day I've still not played it because whenever I've had a chance to buy and play a copy poor reviews have stayed my spending hand~
The singleplayer is very very good. I replayed it a year ago and it holds up very well.

I’m in Australia though, so that doesn’t help unfortunately.
yeah, Australia and multiplayer, those two don't quite mesh.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
The singleplayer is very very good. I replayed it a year ago and it holds up very well.

yeah, Australia and multiplayer, those two don't quite mesh.
It's a LOT better than it used to be, but yeah you basically have to play most games at release because after 3 months the MP is dead unless it's a mega hit like COD/BF/PUBG/Fortnite unfortunately.

sainraja

Warhawk PS3 was also really underrated. Remember really enjoying it during those days when the general reception on the PS3 wasn't so hot. You can still play it today if you use the community made Warhawk reborn app.
Ohh I will have to look into that. I agree that the game was really underrated. It was a lot of fun.

sainraja

None, they are dead because they just aren't up to par anymore. I got burned by this already many times. Whenever there was a revival of an online scene for a game I adored and desperately wanted to play again, I played 1 or 2 matches and was like "huh, was it always this boring?".
No, not necessarily. When a new console releases, most people migrate over eventually and any community that existed does fall in numbers.
You bought the game at the wrong time or that type of game just isn't for you. Don't speak for me and many others by saying: "nobody liked the game", no, just YOU didn't like the game. There were many who did like the game. I've had many great matches with that game and would certainly go back to it if it was brought back on newer systems.
I tried this a few months before the servers went offline and that game was one of the jankiest experiences I ever had. I played it for novelty for about a day but I didn't have much fun with it, no wonder it was discontinued, nobody liked the game. Faeria is a much better card strategy game.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

You bought the game at the wrong time or that type of game just isn't for you. Don't speak for me and many others by saying: "nobody liked the game", no, just YOU didn't like the game. There were many who did like the game. I've had many great matches with that game and would certainly go back to it if it was brought back on newer systems.

I tried this a few months before the servers went offline and that game was one of the jankiest experiences I ever had. I played it for novelty for about a day but I didn't have much fun with it, no wonder it was discontinued, nobody liked the game. Faeria is a much better card strategy game.
When was the last time you played Warhawk? The day the servers went offline? Did you play the game at all that year? Almost nobody did since there was nobody playing the game then. The game is just meh, if it were good people would play it. You got games which are quite old and are still played today, games like Final Fantasy XI were still played until 2016 on PS2 so your point about new ecosystems isn't true. And when it comes to Battleforge it wasn't janky at all, it is very clean and crisp game which is why it was used as a display piece in promotional material by Nvidia and EA for DX11 all the time, it looked phenomenal, especially effects like reflections in ice and haze. The only problem with Battleforge is that it was quite repetitive and after playing it for a few hundred hours there really wasn't much to do so I slowly stopped playing it.

Also, Battleforge is 2009 and Faeria is 2017...

edit: lol, I just checked, Faeria has around 90 people playing it. The revived Battleforge has way more than that.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I still find good MP games today (Ghost Recon, Modern Warfare, Halo 5 etc) you actually think any of these games will get resurrected? I don’t.

Top Bottom