• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you hate to play but love to watch

SJRB

Gold Member
I have this love/hate relationship with Dark Souls 2 where I fucking HATED my playtime with it but I absolutely love watching Twitch speedruns of it.

And I don't even care how long it takes, the speedruns are just so fun to watch. Twitch is a godsend, you know that?

In a way the same goes for Metal Gear Solid, but here I don't hate the game, quite the opposite even, but I can totally appreciate the insane skill it requires to Big Boss run a game like that.

So yeah, how about you?

Anything and everything Soulborne or Soulsborne like.
Love the atmosphere and lore, too stressful to play and enjoy for me due to its own factors and additional factors of my own that I'd rather not mention.
YouTube makes watching long plays and lore videos my preferred method for these games.

brian0057

Banned
I don't watch Let's Plays or "videogame movies" (i.e. all the cutscenes put together) on YouTube.
If I don't like a game, I ignore it completely. And if I do like it, I'd rather play the game myself.
And with the release of Arcane, I don't have to give a shit about League of Legends at all.

Doom85

I don’t “hated” but I’m much more in to watching Fighting game tournaments more than playing them.

That’s somewhat me as well. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy fighting games, with this gen I put in a good amount of time with Dragonball FighterZ and Street Fighter V, but watching skilled players go at it is more exciting for me sometimes.

- Cinematics with shitty gameplay (i just watch the cutscenes)
- Souls Games
- Todays beatemups with 1 million combos/super moves/ultra moves
- World of Warcraft arena
- Creepy horror games. I love them, but i'm rarely in the right mood to play them

Last edited:

kyoji

Pretty much any fighting game because it difficult to replicate those moves the pro players did so it enjoyable to watch
Just got to put in the practice and time to learn mechanics as well as research stuff. This is why fighting games is the deepest genre u can play that noone knows about, because you either gona button mash and think thats all there is to it or you start climbing down the rabbit hole.

kyoji

Most bethesda games for me, interesting concepts but lack of execution and boring gameplay that makes there games feel same? Maybe its the engine they use but there games never resonate or seem to pan out for me, there worlds feel so lifeless even tho there are npcs there, its like the games lack its own personality, its very hard to explain. I only watch to get a chuckle from some of the various bugs when Avoidingthepuddle decides to play fallout or something every blue moon. its always a good laugh with his commentary.

Zuzu

Warzone is fun to watch because it has a story attached to each match and the stakes are high. But playing it isn't much fun for me. I'll play the occasional match but watching it is much better.

tylrdiablos

I used to watch a lot of Hearthstone (Day9, TotalBiscuit etc) but it went a bit off the rails with all the expansions/meta/etc. It didn't take long for both streamers and viewers to lose interest.
I've never spent a penny on any card game, real or virtual but for some reason I really liked watching the pack opening side of things... which lead me to discover, and binge-watch, YouTube channels where people open Pokemon and MAGIC cards.

DayZ and Rust were also good viewing for a while.

Enygmatize

Neo Member
Anything horror related. Outlast, Resident Evil, etc. I really enjoyed watching playthroughs of those games because they are way to stressful to play myself.

Griffon

Most JRPGs. It's usually very fun to follow the story in a good let's play with entertaining people. Playing solo with repetitive battles is less so.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I invited friends over to watch play my games when younger because I got bored too easily but loved stories. Better one I remember is Phantasy Star 2.

I lost patience with Metroid Dread real fast and watched runs on YouTube.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Mahvel, Dragonball Fighterz, cause I don't like playing team fighters, but love watching them. Way too crazy hectic for me. I already have trouble getting good in games like Tekken or SF.

Basically I love watching majority of fighting game tourneys, but prefer to only play fighters like DoA, Tekken, SF, MK and Virtua Fighter.

Will try to get into KoF 15.

Last edited:

Banned
MK11. Hate that game. Love watching high level play of it.

really? the Netherrealm games are the lamest games to watch at EVO to me... all the dial in combos and boring ass desperation move system just make it super boring to me.
not as boring as MvC3 of course :pie_roffles:

CitizenZ

Banned
I dont hate any game, just the delusional plastic obsessive weirdos(just thought of a good idea for TLC), BUT if there is one game(I dont hate), I really enjoy(no desire to play) it's the International. Its an example about how a tourney should be done, its all about the game and players nothing else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont hate the games. I actually liked playing the PS2 games.

But I always thought watching God of War (especially boss fights) is still a lot more fun than playing it. Watching Youtubers do boss fight compilation videos are great to watch.

Top Bottom