• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite "bad" game?

Poordevil

Oh! I thought if another one...
Gothic III.
What an awesome openworld action RPG. It is hands down my all time favorite. I have tried getting into ElderScrolls, Oblivion, Skyrim, and even Morrowind, but none of them come close to engaging me the way Gothic III does. Most Gothic fans really prefer Gothic 1 or 2. They are ok, but Gothic 3 is the one for me. It was my first Gothic game too. I'm the first to admit it had its share of technical snafus, I am well aware of them all. Even so, that game had me locked in for months. A lot of the problems were handled with patches by the gaming community as well.

You're not alone on that one, high quality jank, just missing that singe achievement point given for finishing the game on the hardest mode. Shame it didn't get a backwards compatible boost.

do it jewish GIF

I have this absurd hope that some day some niche publisher might pick it up and retroactively port it to the PS3 at some point. Limited physical release and all. Slim chance though.

Jelly at you Xdudes for it.

Last edited:
Does the Tales of Symphonia HD remake/port count? BuT iT's NoT 60 fPs AnYmOrE ThAt MaKeS iT LiTtErAlLy UnPlAyAbLe !!!!1!!!

Other than that, Spirit Tracks. It got unjustifiably scored even lower than Phantom hourglass for using touch controls again, although those controls were a lot more responsive, the soundtrack is one of the best in the series (and that's saying something) and the overworld was full of secrets and stuff to find. Also, no Temple of the fucking Ocean King.

Red Steel. Gives me nostalgia from still being a dumb Nintendo fanboy who stood in line to get a launch Wii. It also helps that I played it alongside Twilight Princess, which is the last Zelda game that blew me away. I haven't touched Red Steel in ages though, not sure I could bear it these days. Still gonna keep it in my collection, lol.

Last edited:

I'm just finishing up playing this on PS5. It was kind of hard getting used to 30 fps after playing a 60 fps game (There's no 60 fps patch) and yes it is very mediocre. But I did manage to complete it.

... that 60 fps game was Knack 2. I actually sort of liked it. If the "Limit to 30 fps" is how the game played on PS4, it's a lot better at 60. It's short but maybe that's not a bad thing.

Koenigssee

Crisis Beat, Racing Lagoon on Playstation 1.
Samurai Western on Playstation 2.
Killer7 on GameCube.
Chaos Legion on PC.
Initial D on PSP.
Crossfire, AVA (Korean Online FPS) on PC.

Throw in Marc Ecko's Getting Up while we're at it. That game was unique and quite important for the hip hop culture.

Last edited:
Dark souls 2, I guess. I think it is good but lots of people don't. Pls no flame war

I guess it wasn't universally panned by critics but man oh man do people hate it.

So far as universally panned games, I can't actually think of anything. Maybe if I go back to when I was in elementary school or something, but even then, nothing jumps out at me.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed on PS2 was awesome back then and it wasn't received great by critics. More recently Biomutant which i had a great time playing and will visit it again in the future.

mhirano

Sc6s1mn.jpg
DMC.
I hven’t played any other Devil May Cry games but I thought this one was amazing.
Vrry good combat, graphics and pacing.
The edginess of the cutscenes are cringey but the full package was worth it.

Fredrik

Scorn - Critics didn’t like it, but it was one of the most unique and atmospheric games I’ve played lately. I’ll never forget it.

The Ascent - Again, critics didn’t like it, but for me it was great. Twin stick shooting, cover action, open world, action RPG, awesome visuals. One of my top games that year.

Last edited:
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum.

I think the game itself is pretty interesting and I love having a platformer like that in the LOTR universe. The technical issues are inexcusable though.

Trilobit

14748_front.jpg

150404-City_Crisis_(USA)-1495128472.jpg

Boy was it ugly and short, but I had so much fun with it. The controls were super tight and the challenges hard enough to be fun and rewarding. It was really intense at times when you had to go back and forth saving people in a very limited time lest they'd die in a fire.

bender

What time is it?
I'm not sure about all-time but I was looking through my PSN digital library and noticed that I had 63h played on Metal Gear Survive. It got dunked on relentlessly but reviewers and while I don't think it is a great game, there is just something wonderful about the way characters control in that engine.

Jinzo Prime

cover_large.jpg

It has a metric ton of flaws, but I have to admit that a loved it as a kid and still love it today! Most of the speed stages still hold up, and I miss the bounce bracelet.

Last edited:

Superkewl

Gold Member
My Time at Portia. Critics didn't like it, and I've never seen people post positive things bout it, but I really enjoyed the world, characters, mining, building, adventure, music and atmosphere of this little game. Can't wait for Sandrock to come to consoles... maybe... one day... hopefully.
Yeah, I loved My Time at Portia as well. Believe Sandrock is coming to consoles this summer. Saw trailers for Xbox, PS5 and switch about a month or so ago.

SeraphJan

How do we define bad game to begin with? By metacritic score? If so, that standard itself was bad, if you've played games that received 6-7, the quality are vastly different, are you telling me Resident Evil 6 is worse than Dreamfall Chapter?

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

I still run into hate for liking the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy also. Not as bad as it used to be, but it's still there.

DukeOfX

Neo Member
Why the fuck does this have a bad rap is beyond me.

Yes, endgame and DLC are awful, insulting even. But up to that point, it's tons of fun with a great combat.
Any game where you can suplex behemoths and ogres is top-tier!

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

Drizzlehell

Banned
How do we define bad game to begin with? By metacritic score? If so, that standard itself was bad, if you play games that received 6-7, the quality are vastly different, are you telling me Resident Evil 6 is worse than Dreamfall Chapter?
We're not trying to solve a riddle here, mate. It's a simple concept - pick a game that was generally not well received but you still liked it nonetheless.

Imagine that it is possible to look at something with a critical eye and acknowledge that it has some serious flaws, but still enjoying it for what it is. It's how I can enjoy the Star Wars prequels while acknowledging that they're pretty bad movies.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I got that game for my birthday along with my Xbox back then. I have fond memories of it.
Yeah, I actually only played it for the first time like last year, and it was certainly a unique game for its time. It has its flaws of course but I generally had a good time with it.

It actually reminded me that I miss the good old days when we could get like 9 different Star Wars games based on a single movie in the franchise, and each one would wildly experiment with various genres and gameplay elements. They definitely stood out from many other movie-based games because in most other cases the publishers would go with the lazy "It's like <insert popular game name here> but based on <insert movie name here>" solution, while Star Wars games always had their unique style and gimmicks.

SeraphJan

We're not trying to solve a riddle here, mate. It's a simple concept - pick a game that was generally not well received but you still liked it nonetheless.

Imagine that it is possible to look at something with a critical eye and acknowledge that it has some serious flaws, but still enjoying it for what it is. It's how I can enjoy the Star Wars prequels while acknowledging that they're pretty bad movies.
The thing is I can't, I consider many game to be good even when the mainstream opinion of it was bad, but I don't care what other thinks. For example I don't see how SW prequel is bad at all, compare to the original. Enjoying it and think its bad at the same time just isn't the type of feeling I have, especially consider good or bad are completely subjective as what it suppose to mean was whether I enjoy it or not.

However if there are objective criteria of assessing whether a game is good or bad, that would be another story, however there is none, and they are often contradicting and have double standards.

My point is, the way how many people perceive a work is heavily affected by borrowed opinion from the mainstream, seeing review score and other form of mainstream opinion before consume a work could have bias in mind while consuming it, it affects the overall experience of a work if that said person viewing it through a predetermined lens. This is why I prefer play a game completely blind.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 3 and the original Victory, they're definitely bad games but I have sunk at least 600+ hours in between PS3/PS4/Vita/PC and all installments.

Ogbert

Not sure if it’s necessarily ‘bad’, but Rage 2 got middling reviews and I absolutely love it to bits.

Amazing moment to moment gameplay, great weapons and a lot of fun.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The thing is I can't, I consider many game to be good even when the mainstream opinion of it was bad, but I don't care what other thinks. For example I don't see how SW prequel is bad at all, compare to the original. Enjoying it and think its bad at the same time just isn't the type of feeling I have, especially consider good or bad are completely subjective as what it suppose to mean was whether I enjoy it or not.

However if there are objective criteria of assessing whether a game is good or bad, that would be another story, however there is none, and they are often contradicting and have double standards.

My point is, the way how many people perceive a work is heavily affected by borrowed opinion from the mainstream, seeing review score and other form of mainstream opinion before consume a work could have bias in mind while consuming it, it affects the overall experience of a work if that said person viewing it through a predetermined lens. This is why I prefer play a game completely blind.
Sure there is. You can easily tell when the acting is bad or the dialogue wooden. Or when the story doesn't make a lick of sense or it's just unevenly paced. You can tell when the game is unpolished or has bad controls or the gameplay is very simplistic and not very fun. As an extreme example, would you consider Crazy Bus a good game just because there may be someone out there who actually likes it? No, of course not. It's a fucking abomination that you can barely even call a game.

This mantra of all things being subjective is bullshit because there is an objective way to judge certain things, it's just that there's usually a lot of grey area involved (eg. both opinions may be right sometimes) and some people may have more tolerance for crap than others.

So yeah, going back to the prequels example, they are objectively pretty mediocre movies, but it's totally fine to enjoy them like I do. I just think it's important to be aware that you're not watching some masterpieces because if you'll go around saying that Attack of The Clones is the greatest movie of all time then it'll only make you sound like you're on crazy pills.

Also, like I said, we're not in a Greek philosophy school trying to decipher the secrets of the universe here. Just roll with the premise as it sounds at face value and name your game. Or don't, if you find this task too daunting. I'm fine either way.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

This mantra of all things being subjective is bullshit because there is an objective way to judge certain things, it's just that there's usually a lot of grey area involved (eg. both opinions may be right sometimes) and some people may have more tolerance for crap than others.
Not all things are subjective, but game and movie criticism is a form of art criticism, its subjective in nature, there is no universal standards (neither can it be measured), those vague standards that do exist often change throughout times and different standard is applied to different work
So yeah, going back to the prequels example, they are objectively pretty mediocre movies, but it's totally fine to enjoy them like I do. I just think it's important to be aware that you're not watching some masterpieces because if you'll go around saying that Attack of The Clones is the greatest movie of all time then it'll only make you sound like you're on crazy pills.
No body is saying AOTC is the greatest movie of all time, that is strawman. But neither is the original SW movies, in fact nothing could be considered the greatest, this mentality of battling it out to see who is better isn't the right way to access art work

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not all things are subjective, but game and movie criticism is a form of art criticism, its subjective in nature, there is no universal standards (neither can it be measured), those vague standards that do exist often change throughout times and different standard is applied to different work

No body is saying AOTC is the greatest movie of all time, that is strawman. But neither is the original SW movies, in fact nothing could be considered the greatest, this mentality of battling it out to see who is better isn't the right way to access art work
You're overthinking it. Either pick a game according to what you consider a guilty pleasure or don't, and move on. It's as simple as that.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Not sure if it’s necessarily ‘bad’, but Rage 2 got middling reviews and I absolutely love it to bits.

Amazing moment to moment gameplay, great weapons and a lot of fun.
Yeah, bought that game 3 times, lol. First when it came out on Bethesda launcher, then on Steam, and finally on PS5. It's just so mindlessly fun. In many ways it reminds me of that Mad Max game from 2015, which I also 100% completed because driving around and beating up bandits while scavenging camps was just fun to do and I loved exploring that world.

SeraphJan

You're overthinking it. Either pick a game according to what you consider a guilty pleasure or don't, and move on. It's as simple as that.
You are overthinking my statement, for me there is no such thing as a "guilty" pleasure, so I can't choose according to that, because I don't play game to conform to social norm, I play them to enjoy and learn.

However, if the perspective changed to "pick a game that you think were great when the mainstream consider it other wise" I have plenty.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
You are overthinking my statement, for me there is no such thing as a "guilty" pleasure, so I can't choose according to that.

However, if the perspective changed to "pick a game that you think was great when the mainstream consider it other wise" I have plenty.
It's not the first time when I'm posting a very simple premise that literally everyone else can instantly get on board with and you're the only one trying to fucking deconstruct it instead of giving a straight answer.

Like I said, pick a game or don't. Either way, quit bothering me.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not "bad games" per se because plenty of people love them, but:
  • Days Gone. It's a 71 on MC, but it's a pretty solid 8.5 in my opinion (especially if you're playing on the PS5/PC with higher frame rates). I have a total of 19 platinum trophies, and Days Gone is one of them.
  • Mad Max. A 69 MC, but this game is pretty fun and deserves at least 10 more points on Metacritic. It's a very Ubisoft formulaic game, but it's just pure fun, and the world they created feels very Mad Max, which is a huge achievement. For years I avoided this game because of reviews and scores. Got it free on PS+, finished it, loved it, then finished it again. The thunderstorm in this game is just exhilarating!
  • Star Wars Battlefront II: A 68 MC, mainly because of the loot-box and MTX fiasco. Underneath all that crap (which was fixed later on by EA) is a wonderful Star Wars game. I've over 100 hours in this game, and a very rare platinum trophy :) Still bummed that EA canceled Part III. I'd have been there day one.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

It's not the first time when I'm posting a very simple premise that literally everyone else can instantly get on board with and you're the only one trying to fucking deconstruct it instead of giving a straight answer.

Like I said, pick a game or don't. Either way, quit bothering me.
You are overreacting, my original comment was never directed against you, its nothing personal. So was "everyone else" in your context, many people here are just expressing their own opinion, even if they may not align with your "simple premise".

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Star Wars Battlefront II: A 68 MC, mainly because of the loot-box and MTX fiasco. Underneath all that crap (which was fixed later on by EA) is a wonderful Star Wars game. I've over 100 hours in this game, and a very rare platinum trophy :) Still bummed that EA canceled Part III. I'd have been there day one.
Yep, lootboxes pretty much sealed this game's fate before it was even out. Leave it to EA to ruin a perfectly good shooter.

Personally I love Battlefront II. It's such a rich package that offers so many different game modes that it's practically impossible not to find something fun to do in it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
You are overreacting, my original comment was never directed against you, its nothing personal. So was "everyone else" in your context, many people here are just expressing their own opinion, even if they may not align with your "simple premise".
Wrong again, because at least everyone else was able to share their own take on it and provide some actual examples, while you're sitting here trying to decipher its meaning.

You really sound like the kind of person who'd be into interpreting poetry. I fucking hate that shit.

steve-martin-have-a-point.gif

Top Bottom