• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you enjoy watching your significant other play games?

Mondai

I've been watching my wife play BOTW and TOTK and it's pretty funny. We used to play Diablo 3 together too and it was funny watching her rage when we did torment rifts. How about you peeps? do you like watching your other play and do you try to backseat game? (its hard to resist , I control it more now though).

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yes. She complains that I don't spend time with her. Watching her play is pleasant for me. I really hate conversation, because she's usually very negative. Videogames is the one thing we can both enjoy.

Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Tis the season to depart from negativity. Best of luck.

Crayon

Oh yeah. We're playing baldur's gate together right now, but the only other game we've ever played co-op was champions of norrath.

We have had times where we both get addicted to the same game at once and are practically doing shifts on it.

We don't really watch any TV shows or movies. If you're watching anything it's just going to be something on YouTube. That actually accounts for most of the TVs screen time, but not by a huge margin. The rest is games.

I do keep a slim portable monitor on the bookcase, because I'm the only one who will get into a game that not very fun to watch for her. Something grinding like fighting games or disgaea. So after a certain number of hours I will pull that monitor out instead of hogging the TV for those.

Kilau

I only really watched her play Dance Central 1-3, that was enjoyable. She’s lost interest in gaming completely since we had kids.

Shifty1897

Usually she's doing stuff on her phone or laptop while I play games next to her. If we want to do something together, we'll watch a TV show.

Garibaldi

Nah, my other half has absolutely no interest in gaming beyond listening to me nerd out about something I'm interested in. The chances of her actually playing anything are close to zero.

She played the VR headset we got for about 10 mins, that's the last thing.

She might occasionally sit down to watch me show off something I think is cool but not beyond 5 or so mins.

I'm ok with that tho. She loves motorbikes and that's my main passion so it enough we share that.

Winter John

Gold Member
I enjoy watching her play chess. I don't have the faintest understanding of what she's doing, why she moves the guys round the board, or even how she wins her matches. She just moves the pieces, says checkmate, and I nod like a dog watching traffic.

SpiceRacz

My local game store has an Atari Jaguar kiosk. My wife was in there with me, and for reasons I do not understand, she was drawn to the Jaguar. She picked up the controller and started playing some garbage fighting game called Kasumi Ninja.

kasumi-ninja-jaguar_1444.jpg

She told me "this is a real video game" and questioned why I don't own a Jaguar. Needless to say, my wife is not a gamer.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It varies greatly depending on the games but lately she's been playing dreamlight valley and boy this game is boring...But she likes Disney so she likes the universes but thank God we cheated to avoid the grind...I have no idea how someone can play something so repetitive.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Not really because she guards when she should attack and she doesn’t hit the dodge button when she sees a hit coming.

We tried Baldur’s Gate III and it was like explaining the Dawn of RPG’s to someone all while listening to her hate the fact that the game is turn based. That kind of soured me on BG3 for a while.

She played 3/4 of Diablo IV with me and then it became too repetitive for her tastes. I get it, the game is the same thing over and over again, but she isn’t a noob. She should know this stuff?

All she seems to like are open world Ubisoft games. Which is jank stealth if you ask me. I have introduced many different games. She loved Ghost of Tsushima and Infamous Second Son. She also doesn’t like dark tones and creepy looking monsters. So it’s not like I can just tell her about something. She quit Red Dead Redemption 2 because she asked if Arthur Morgan made it or not. She had like 20 some odd hours into it. She only likes one JRPG and that’s FFX. Just between you and I. I don’t want to talk about FFX whenever I bring up a JRPG. It’s not even in my top 20.

It’s cool she likes games because I’ve heard about some wives treating video games like it’s the worst possible thing the guy could do. It’s also not all that exciting to me. Right now she’s playing God of War Ragnarok, which she really likes. That’s cool. It is what it is.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Not really. My wife started getting back into gaming when Hogwarts came back out, last game she played before that was Twilight Princess on Gamecube. It's really the only thing we do together as she sits in front of youtube all day. She's horrible at games, it's painful to watch, i would rather watch reruns of This Old House than watch her play. She will hand me the controller when there's a boss or if something is difficult so we're actually spending time together which is nice. I'm pretty sure I finished half the shrines for her in both BOTW and TOTK. Now she's playing Baldur's Gate 3 and has me do most of the battling so she can spend her time walking around and collecting stuff. If she's playing i just play on my Steam deck next to her on the couch, or on my PC or Series S in the other room.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
My local game store has an Atari Jaguar kiosk. My wife was in there with me, and for reasons I do not understand, she was drawn to the Jaguar. She picked up the controller and started playing some garbage fighting game called Kasumi Ninja.

kasumi-ninja-jaguar_1444.jpg

She told me "this is a real video game" and questioned why I don't own a Jaguar. Needless to say, my wife is not a gamer.
I think she was trolling you irl

No, the skill gap is too big so I just get frustrated watching or playing with her. Fortunately my wife doesn’t play much games anyways, and when she does it’s just something in the Switch to herself

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No, the skill gap is too big so I just get frustrated watching or playing with her. Fortunately my wife doesn’t play much games anyways, and when she does it’s just something in the Switch to herself
Those cozy switch game recommendations on TikTok drive me mad. My wife always sends them to me and asks if I’ve heard about them. Where has the time gone when I’m rolling my eyes to a bunch of switch games where the point is just to chill.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Yes, but I’m not sure she enjoys having me there. It tends to become very obvious that I’ve grown up with games and she hasn’t.

She could probably spend 10 minutes trying to figure out a room in Zelda where “all” you need to do is shoot an arrow at a target to proceed. Even if I don’t say anything I guess it becomes obvious that I’ve seen the solution in most cases.

CoOp/multiplayer is usually more fun. We had a blast playing through Luigi’s Mansion 3 recently.

Yeah, I love it. Great way to spend time together. She watched her sibling play and has nostalgia for N64 and Gamecube games, but wasn't much of a gamer growing up. She was always down to watch while I played something, and would play some party games like Mario Kart in a group. But isn't interaction the point of video games to begin with? I challenged her to give Ocarina of Time a try, she really enjoyed it and beat the game. Now she plays all sorts of games old and new (Nintendo is her soft spot) and it's so much fun to watch her experience and appreciate my old favorites. It's cool to see how her taste develops too, now that she is starting to find out what she likes and dislikes - that makes a fun activity for me to try and recommend something she'll really enjoy.

My wife can't even get the first star on Mario 3D World. She has zero interest in games, and that's the way I like it. I had a girlfriend who was into games when I was younger, and I didn't enjoy that experience at all. I like having my own domain.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Thinly veiled ‘it’s Christmas and I have a partner fuck you single people all on your own’ thread.

/s

nemiroff

Gold Member
My wife is a workaholic and a workoutaholic. So only rarely does she pick up a Switch and play a bit. I sometimes watch for a couple of minutes because she has a slight case of gamer rage (Mario games can be tricky.. ) which I find funny.

Not really. Shes really only adept at mario kart, but im usually playing that with her.

Any other time she picks up a controller to help our kids she comes across clueless and i end up frustrated watching or listening

Pretty good using my joystick though. Some games she doesnt even needs hands!

Last edited:

Bond007

Married with 2 boys.
Wife isnt a gamer but she likes to watch me. Downside? Too many questions or finding other topics WHILE im gaming. So i rather her go do something else. LMAO.
My boys- i dont like to watch to much. I never agree with their choices or how they move the camera so wild it gives me a headache. lol

Top Bottom