• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where you started the first, jumped off, then loved the sequel

RPS37

I had this happen back when Ori 2 came out.
The first Ori just couldn’t keep me around, but I loved the sequel.
I’m thinking this could happen with Horizon Forbidden West with me and maybe even something like as Plague Tale.

This sort of thing happen to anyone else?

evil within. couldn't get into the first one. played, replayed, & loved the sequel...

ps: i'm not sure anyone disliking zero dawn could possibly like forbidden west. i myself really enjoyed the original, & seriously disliked the sequel...

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
When I first played the original Resident Evil I could not get into it and never beat it. But later on when I tried RE2 I was immediately hooked and beat it. Then I went on to beat RE3,4,5,etc...

Till this day I've still never finished RE1.

april6e

The Bayonetta series was like this for me. Bayonetta 1, I basically had to force myself to get through it. Without going into details, I got zero enjoyment out of Bayonetta's personality, the generic anime plot and the visual design of the angels and "generic baddie of the day" boss fights. The combat gameplay is excellent and single handedly carries that game because I hated eveything else.

Bayonetta 2, I only gave a chance because my favorite reviewers (Gametrailers aka Easy Allies, RIP) gave it a 10/10 which is unheard of for them. I tried it and was utterly blown away. To this day, it's a top 3 action game for me only surpassed by DMC3 and God of War 2. The game stopped taking itself seriously and instead leaned into the DMC3-esque craziness of it all and the game improved upon every single flaw I had with the first game. Every second of it was incredible.

I can't speak for Bayonetta 3, I just started it and am only like an hour in.

Last edited:

Banned
Assassin's Creed.

I eventually finished the first one tho, but god damn, the second one was just so much better (and still is the best game in the series imo by far)

Griffon

Kingdom Hearts.

The first one was a terrible slog that I stopped halfway through, still gave a chance to kh2 and I fucking loved it.

PsyEd

Started on Yakuza on Ps2....didn't like it. Checked Y2..didn't like it either. Then was BLOWN AWAY with Yakuza 0 on Ps3....came back to continue the story and hooked every since.

Imtjnotu

The first kill zone was a piece of shit. So many bugs and dumbass AI.

2 on the other hand

Natural Glow Reaction GIF

Soulja

Mass effect.

I started the first one and I really couldn't get into it and stopped playing after an hour or so but I gave the second one a go and I became hooked right away and it is probably one of my favourite games of all time.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Baldur's Gate. The first was the most basic bitch D&D stuff you could ever see. The sequel on the other hand turns everything up to eleven and it's just much bigger, richer in content and overall, much better.

Mr Hyde

Assassin's Creed.

Didn't enjoy Black Flag and gave up around the half way stretch. Tried Odyssey because I read Ubi transformed the franchise to an RPG more akin to the Witcher. I enjoyed it more than Black Flag but gave up on that too because of excessive bloat and copy paste environments. Gave AC a last shot, third time's the charm and all that, with Valhalla. And finally, it stuck the landing. I thought it was so good I bought all the DLC too, which in my opinion are just as good, if not better, than the base game. The game has many flaws and issues, but at least it was fun to play and it kept me entertained all the way to the end.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mass effect 1 sits in a hyper sensitive space with the hardcore BioWare fans, mass effect 2 think about the needs that were addressed, the combat issues, aliens joining your squad.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can I do "started the 2nd but jumped off until the 3rd one came out" ?

cause I bounced the hell off of DMC2.

Serianox

Never managed to get all the way into a Xcom EU campaign for whatever reason but i ended playing Xcom 2 when it launched and devoured that game until i completed it. Also still need to play war of the chosen but i keep postponing it until i'm in the mood for that type of game.

avalonzero

Final Fantasy. The 1st one for NES was just OK to me back then and I didn't finish it, but Final Fantasy II (IV) changed everything and opened up a whole new genre that I ended up loving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom