• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Assist mode

Kusarigama

I have been Control Ultimate Edition on PS5 recently and it is creepy/horror game with signature Remedy action gameplay as well. The game is fairly challenging, my character died a few times at some of the boss encounters and I would have to track back to the boss fight after respawning at the last Control Point. Eventually I would figure out how to dodge the attacks and deal damage.

I was tinkering in the settings menu and I noticed this sub-menu.

This is simply amazing feature. It's like the old cheat codes except they have been already put.

I don't mind challenging games where my character dies several times before I finally beat a boss. But I do not like to respawn 2kms away from boss fight and then having to run past the minor enemies to reach the boss fight again. This is especially bad in Bloodborne(one of favourite games) where while trying to beat Father Gascoigne, every time I failed, I'd have to traverse a significant amount of map. Respawn me just before the boss fight and I'd try 50 times without getting annoyed.
X7L9Iyl.png

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Sniper Elite games sort of have this with the customizable difficulty settings.

You can change things about the sniping itself (wind, bullet drop, etc) general game things like HUD, health, etc and even enemy AI such as how aggressive they are or how reactive they are.

Last edited:

Three

HFW has something similar in its "custom difficulty" setting which you can set or turn off at any time. Finegrain control over whatever you're struggling to adapt too is nice. The reason I never used it though is exactly as you said, it felt like cheats. Nearly broke down with that thunderjaw and scorcher arena battle but stuck with the regular difficulty level. I'm glad it's there though for those who might struggle with disabilities but still want to play the game.

SkylineRKR

Last of Us 2 did this too.

You can make the AI dumber. You can make them blind to you when you are prone, etc. You can essentially flick Hard mode on, with available resources tuned to Normal difficulty. Its great how much you can tweak.

As long as its optional, there should be no issue.

The Shepard

Recently FF16 had the cheat rings.

The Ring of Timely Focus, which temporarily slows time before enemy attacks connect, providing more time to react and dodge.

The Ring of Timely Assistance, which automatically issues commands to your pet dog, Torgal.

The Ring of Timely Strikes, which executes combo attacks with just one press of the attack button.

The Ring of Timely Evasion, which auto-dodges most attacks.

The Ring of Timely Healing, which automatically uses potions to keep your health topped up.

unclbenn

i start all my games on high difficulty but more often than not i end up dropping it down a notch if i start wasting my time. i just dont have as much time anymore and i cant see myself not gaming so i'll gladly take these assist options in the menu.

simpatico

I'm replaying Control right now and I absolutely agree. For games like Control, where it's more about atmosphere and story it makes a ton of sense. They are games out there I wouldn't use it on; Doom, Souls etc. But it does have a place.

If a developer want to include an assist mode or custom difficulty options, I'm fine with that. What I don't like is games journalists and YouTubers demanding developers include them. Developers are free to choose how to spend their time and money when developing a game.

Top Bottom