• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Was playing some Pokemon Shield and was thinking about doing some ranked battles and forgot about all the complicated shit that goes with it. So I watched some Twitch streams to get an idea of the meta and most of the streamers were like dudes in their 30s and I was thinking "man that call of duty pokemon meme is so fucking true" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Was playing some Pokemon Shield and was thinking about doing some ranked battles and forgot about all the complicated shit that goes with it. So I watched some Twitch streams to get an idea of the meta and most of the streamers were like dudes in their 30s and I was thinking "man that call of duty pokemon meme is so fucking true" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Given what Activision are doing, I think they lost their main audience as they can't tell anyone that they will Rape them anymore. They will have to try and win back the Pokemon audience now! (those 30 somethings)

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Check out the God's and Monster's game play trailer too. That's also pretty close right up the the stamina bar.

Wow yeah that’s pretty blatant too - not as bad I’d say but pretty blatant still.

StormCell

Playstation fans acting like Nintendo Direct fans right now.

I got what I wanted. Well, minus a release date for Horizon 2. I don't think I'll be missing anything by waiting at least a year to buy a PS5. Pretty much everything I'm interested in is holiday 2021 and later, thankfully.

Woopah

I got what I wanted. Well, minus a release date for Horizon 2. I don't think I'll be missing anything by waiting at least a year to buy a PS5. Pretty much everything I'm interested in is holiday 2021 and later, thankfully.
I felt the same, I reckon a lot of those games will be 2022 titles.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sackboy game gave me some strong Nintendo vibes. Like I said in the other thread, I hope Sumo can fix the control issues that have plagued the series since the first one. A 3D platformer like that with floaty controls? No thanks!

It’s basically 3D World down to the overhead view and 4-player.

Which is cool, I guess. That style was brilliant and deserves to be pushed further, especially if there can be some neat level creation (doubt). I just kind of don’t tend to respect clones all that much, or expect much from them — just like the BotW ones above.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sackboy game gave me some strong Nintendo vibes. Like I said in the other thread, I hope Sumo can fix the control issues that have plagued the series since the first one. A 3D platformer like that with floaty controls? No thanks!

Definitely seemed like a sackboy/lbp skin of the Super Mario Land/World games. Not a bad thing at all as they are my favorite Mario titles.

Bad news fam,

My main switch is now making a grinding sound with the fan. And is getting super hot.

Sold out everywhere to replace it.

The day after brap brap comes back. Sabotage from him and MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima ? You decide.

Ze04c8v.png

Airbus Jr

Banned
I like what i saw tonight for PS5 but uterly dissapointed with Sony strategy for slowly releasing their game on PC

Switching my allegiance to Nintendo

I support console that have true exclusive

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
I got Operencia: The Stolen Sun and Project Warlock today and they are cool. Operencia is a lot better than I was expecting. Cool worldbuilding without beating you over the head with text and the battle system is fast and easy to figure out what you’re doing.

Project Warlock is like if you designed an old school throwback FPS but learned how the original pioneer games worked through a game of telephone. An interesting approach. I don’t hate it, but it’s not what I was expecting either.

Kind of hope the team that made Operencia keeps making more games with that similar battle system.

Woopah

I like what i saw tonight for PS5 but uterly dissapointed with Sony strategy for slowly releasing their game on PC

Switching my allegiance to Nintendo

I support console that have true exclusive
I'm really curious about this. Why do you feel this way? Why does people being able to play games on a PC disappoint you?

Two thoughts:

1.) Nintendo needs to stop their 'announcing one game at a time' bs at once. Give us a proper release schedule to look forward to. The currently most successful console has exactly ONE game announced for release (Paper Mario). That shouldn't be the case. All other publishers manage to have a proper schedue. If delays happen, that's ok. Not having anything is worse than some delayed games.

2.) The only way Nintendo can fuck up the Switch 2 is by not making it a Switch 2.

I agree, there's nothing to look forward to from Nintendo itself. I'm not moved by the new Paper Mario game, so it feels completely barren when it comes to Nintendo's releases. At least let us know what we can expect, if only by name.

I agree, there's nothing to look forward to from Nintendo itself. I'm not moved by the new Paper Mario game, so it feels completely barren when it comes to Nintendo's releases. At least let us know what we can expect, if only by name.

I mean, here's how you do it:

- trailer for Monolith Soft's medieval ip ("We were targeting a release later this year, now we're trying our best.")
- BotW2 trailer ("It was planned for this year, now we're targeting March 2021")
- SMT5 trailer ("You didn't expect it to release this year and it won't, but doesn't it just look awesome?!")
- trailers for Mario Collection, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 3 Deluxe ("Here's your shitty old games that'll release later this year")

And BAMM, everybody is happy, even if we have to wait a while longer for some of those games. But waiting with a fancy trailer is better than waiting without a fancy trailer.

Woopah

I mean, here's how you do it:

- trailer for Monolith Soft's medieval ip ("We were targeting a release later this year, now we're trying our best.")
- BotW2 trailer ("It was planned for this year, now we're targeting March 2021")
- SMT5 trailer ("You didn't expect it to release this year and it won't, but doesn't it just look awesome?!")
- trailers for Mario Collection, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Pikmin 3 Deluxe ("Here's your shitty old games that'll release later this year")

And BAMM, everybody is happy, even if we have to wait a while longer for some of those games. But waiting with a fancy trailer is better than waiting without a fancy trailer.
We'll getter something similar to or better than that by the end of the year I'm sure.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Damn, people thirsty on Ebay. They are selling all three components seperately.. Tablet/Joy cons/Charger Docks to up charge more. Paying 300 dollars to just replace the tablet portion of my switch.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
BotW2 is likely planned for the 35th anniversary. They Did Skyward Sword as a 25th Anniversary game in 2011. They can do a special gold microcart version and everything. Gold joycons that don't drift for 100 bucks / pair.

Damn, people thirsty on Ebay. They are selling all three components seperately.. Tablet/Joy cons/Charger Docks to up charge more. Paying 300 dollars to just replace the tablet portion of my switch.

Did you look into replacing the fan? If the unit is overheating and making a grinding noise it might be a quick fix. Should be able to do it for < 50 bucks in parts and tools.

Nintendo really are not good at the Work from Home transitions are they?

I mean even SEGA have managed to tramsition really well with this and despite the Video for the PS5, Sony had it planned well.

I think the PS5 and XsX events will overshadow anything Nintendo does should they reveal anything by August.

StormCell

Nintendo really are not good at the Work from Home transitions are they?

I mean even SEGA have managed to tramsition really well with this and despite the Video for the PS5, Sony had it planned well.

I think the PS5 and XsX events will overshadow anything Nintendo does should they reveal anything by August.

They also have a new president. I've been wondering if the Nintendo Directs would even continue. Lately, they've been so radio silent that I feel like it's more than just a transition to working from home.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
And without having even tried it, I'm already feeling an aversion to the game. I like a more traditional battle system.
I'm with you on that one. Not sure why they're seemingly so against going back to something more akin to Thousand Year Door. At this point I'll even settle for a barebones rerelease of it.

Shaqazooloo

In the United States last month, Switch again performed well. The latest NPD report reveals that the console kept its streak going as the best-selling hardware platform in both unit and dollar sales.

There’s another impressive stat for Nintendo as well. Switch unit sales were the highest for an individual platform in a May month since the DS in May 2009.

We should also note that Switch’s year-to-date dollar sales remain the highest of any hardware platform in US history. Wii set the previous high in the year-to-date period ending May 2008.

StormCell

I'm with you on that one. Not sure why they're seemingly so against going back to something more akin to Thousand Year Door. At this point I'll even settle for a barebones rerelease of it.

I know, right? It's like they had a really great formula, but after doing a couple of games with it, they seem to think there's shame in going back to or the only way to keep the series fresh is to completely reshape the core mechanics. That's a real shame, because the last Paper Mario I actually enjoyed was on GCN... If they would just repackage that, I might give $40 for it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I know, right? It's like they had a really great formula, but after doing a couple of games with it, they seem to think there's shame in going back to or the only way to keep the series fresh is to completely reshape the core mechanics. That's a real shame, because the last Paper Mario I actually enjoyed was on GCN... If they would just repackage that, I might give $40 for it.
Funny enough, I think enough people missed out on it when it was originally released for the GameCube that it would probably feel like a fresh Paper Mario experience were it rereleased.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
The gaming world is so good right now. So much good stuff coming out left and right. I can barely keep up. It's a smorgasbord of deliciousness. The Switch is on fire with DP2, Full Body, Paper Mario, Xenoblade Chronicles and loads of cool indie stuff popping up. Seriously, Switch is the No. 1 indie darling. And Nintendo themselves haven't hit the gas pedal yet. The Guns of Navarone are yet to come. And now Sony and Demon's Souls. I'm melting.

Woopah

They also have a new president. I've been wondering if the Nintendo Directs would even continue. Lately, they've been so radio silent that I feel like it's more than just a transition to working from home.

If they were going to drop the Direct branding they wouldn't have had the smaller Directs earlier in the year. Nintendo themselves have said they haven't been able to do Marketing as they would have liked and I'm 100 per cent certain that if there was no virus we would have got an E3 Direct this week. Once things return to normal directs will be back.

StormCell

The gaming world is so good right now. So much good stuff coming out left and right. I can barely keep up. It's a smorgasbord of deliciousness. The Switch is on fire with DP2, Full Body, Paper Mario, Xenoblade Chronicles and loads of cool indie stuff popping up. Seriously, Switch is the No. 1 indie darling. And Nintendo themselves haven't hit the gas pedal yet. The Guns of Navarone are yet to come. And now Sony and Demon's Souls. I'm melting.

What's DP2??

I just can't understand Nintendo's continued silence and drip-fed announcements.

They're neither in an underdog situation where you need to play your cards carefully, nor can they play the corona card when all other publishers announce games left and right.

Of course, Nintendo isn't doomed, they're actually making enormous amounts of money atm. But their release schedule has never looked deader - not even during Wii U. Let that one sink.

Woopah

I just can't understand Nintendo's continued silence and drip-fed announcements.

They're neither in an underdog situation where you need to play your cards carefully, nor can they play the corona card when all other publishers announce games left and right.

Of course, Nintendo isn't doomed, they're actually making enormous amounts of money atm. But their release schedule has never looked deader - not even during Wii U. Let that one sink.

Until yesterday Sony hadn't announced any games since last year (or possibly longer). People were complaining about Sony's silence for months and now they've had their event and that silence doesn't matter any more. It will be the same when Nintendo has its event.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Funny enough, I think enough people missed out on it when it was originally released for the GameCube that it would probably feel like a fresh Paper Mario experience were it rereleased.

You are lucky because of your game that broke my switch I found one V2 for $360 best I am going to do I suppose.

I don't get it either, but we'll see how it works out. I think a good indication of it being a valid strategy will be the sales of Paper Mario. If it bombs, it's clear it could have built up more hype. If it does well, then it's at least possible to assume it worked.

Top Bottom