• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

-Arcadia-

Banned
Remember when Arcadia was my friend and a glass half full person. I remember..... RIP Brap 2020

Totally your friend, but Nintendo did a fantastic job of killing my fandom dead with one tweet.

I respect the creators, and know they'll put out some fantastic games, but any glass half full view with obnoxious stuff like endless Paper Mario games that aren't Paper Mario games just ended for me, tbh.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Totally your friend, but Nintendo did a fantastic job of killing my fandom dead with one tweet.

I respect the creators, and know they'll put out some fantastic games, but any glass half full view with obnoxious stuff like endless Paper Mario games that aren't Paper Mario games just ended for me, tbh.

What tweet the reveal of the Paper Mario? I thought it looked great though I admit the last Mario RPG I played was the SNES one.

So I have nothing to go on.

-Arcadia-

Banned
What tweet the reveal of the Paper Mario? I thought it looked great though I admit the last Mario RPG I played was the SNES one.

So I have nothing to go on.

When they got involved in leftist politics, acknowledging and perpetuating the lie that my country was racist, with zero to say, maybe even encouragement, about the riots happening from coast to coast, where livelihoods have been destroyed, innocent people beaten savagely, and some even murdered.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I know this is probably sacrilege, but I actually enjoyed Sticker Star AND Color Splash. It's impossible to blue pill me out of this game.

That's fair. It isn't the darkest reality. But there's an amazing one out there, where we're on Paper Mario (proper) 5, the series has delivered several more all-time classics to stand alongside the first two, and has become one of the most beloved Nintendo franchises, not unlike how we've seen Smash, Luigi, and Pikmin ascend.

In light of that, what we have now is pretty disappointing.

Last edited:
That's fair. It isn't the darkest reality. But there's an amazing one out there, where we're on Paper Mario (proper) 5, the series has delivered several more all-time classics to stand alongside the first two, and has become one of the most beloved Nintendo franchises, not unlike how we've seen Smash, Luigi, and Pikmin ascend.

In light of that, what we have now is pretty disappointing.

Yeah, it could have been done better for sure. The biggest crime probably is that they didn't give us Paper Luigi set in the events he described in TTYD. The Kojigod would have milked at least 3 sequels out of that lore.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah, it could have been done better for sure. The biggest crime probably is that they didn't give us Paper Luigi set in the events he described in TTYD. The Kojigod would have milked at least 3 sequels out of that lore.

Paper Luigi can never be a thing. How I imagined it every time he came on screen to recount his adventures, had me absolutely rolling, and was perfect.

I really, really need to find a good CRT to have my GameCube look perfect on, and replay TTYD. Maybe even do a Gaf topic so we can all replay the epicness together.

Last edited:

Woopah

So did Nintendo completely cancel the E3 direct?

Well officially they never announced it so there was nothing to cancel. But yes Directs are on hold until further notice. Games will get announced on Twitter 6-8 weeks before release.

I'm expecting Pikmin 3 to be announced in July for the end of August and the Mario collection to be announced August for September. Maybe we get a Direct in September to announce the holiday games.

Mr Hyde

Just read that the Bioshock Collection doesn't require any download codes. You download it from the cart and you can download the games individually. The cart is still useless if the internet goes down though but you can resell it so it maintains its value from that perspective. Probably gonna pick this up.

Buy Astral Chain.

I was actually in doubt between it and Mario Tennis (because I would rather get a physical version of Astral Chain, whereas for Mario Tennis I don't care as much), but yeah, I don't think I can look at myself in the mirror for much longer if I keep postponing playing it.

MagnesG

Banned
I was actually in doubt between it and Mario Tennis (because I would rather get a physical version of Astral Chain, whereas for Mario Tennis I don't care as much), but yeah, I don't think I can look at myself in the mirror for much longer if I keep postponing playing it.
Astral Chain is pretty much underrated and was mostly misunderstood as action RPG, it's not. It's an action game with a little bit of RPG system. The game lives and die by doing combos and reruns of the missons (case).

Granted even DMCV only currently sold around 3 millions, Bayo is still mingling around, Ninja Gaiden is dead etc.

Even with only 1 millions++ sold (it still got legs though) I think Astral Chain had the most potential with its gameplay, personally it really hits all the right notes for me to get hooked from the start.

Last edited:
Astral Chain is pretty much underrated and was mostly misunderstood as action RPG, it's not. It's an action game with a little bit of RPG system. The game lives and die by doing combos and reruns of the missons (case).

Granted even DMCV only currently sold around 3 millions, Bayo is still mingling around, Ninja Gaiden is dead etc.

I think Astral Chain had the most potential with its gameplay, personally it really hits all the right notes for me to get hooked from the start.

Oh it's exactly my kind of game. Just didn't manage to pick it up because Nintendo went nuts in the second half last year, so there was a lot to buy lol. But I'm taking this chance right now and will play it once I finish Hollow Knight.

MagnesG

Banned
I know I'm going to sound like -Arcadia- -Arcadia- here, but what's the length and how meaty of a package is it?
Around 16 hours if you play it casual, reaching 40 hours if you want to go for S+ on standard Platinum case evaluation + full upgrades, orders (achievements), collectibles etc. Maybe add another 20h for hard mode (ultimate). They have about 12 files cases with varying length, and you can rerun them to improve the rank + collect anything missing and earning money.

Forgot to add they have sidequests too, boring and fun ones altogether.

Last edited:

Woopah

Worded that poorly. It WILL leapfrog Mario Kart. I think Animal Crossing is reaching the top of that list and only a catastrophe could stop it.
The only way I see Animal Crossing leapfrogging Mario Kart 8 is if Mario Kart 9 comes out. Mario Kart just has too much of an advantage in terms of time and continues to sell very strongly.

Also I wouldn't believe any digital numbers from Famitsu, they are known to be very unreliable/worthless

Mr Hyde

Has anybody ordered from Play-Asia? I want FF 7 & 8 Twin pack and Okami for Switch but I'm uncertain of the site. Like shipping and extra fees and stuff like that. I hate importing but there is nowhere else to go if you want these games.

MagnesG

Banned
Also I wouldn't believe any digital numbers from Famitsu, they are known to be very unreliable/worthless

They are unreliable in terms of getting accurate numbers, because theirs most of the time are ridiculously lower than the actual one.

So we can at least gauge the reception based on them.

I finished Pokemon Sword.

I feel like it is the shortest Pokemon game I have played since Yellow.

I enjoyed the game but felt the world was very small. (No Victory Road and only 10 Routes with very little exploration with the new "Surf" Mechanic).

It is probably the most casual friendly game of the series which is a good thing if you are starting out.

The criticisms of the game are very much justified but the Graphics department isn't the biggest problem for me. It feels like they rushed the content to get it out there.

The good points were:

that you can use the Pokemon Box wherever you like (Including consecutive matches where you go rest up)

The Move Deleter/Relearner is available in every Poke Centre

Poke Jobs which can level up your non-fighters

Surf and Fly are no longer moves you have to learn

Escape Rope is now a key Item

The Camping System is useful if you don't like the "fun" aspect of it

The Gym Challenges and Finals were amazing (I like how they reference our love of competitive sports)

The music in the game is the best I hace heard in a long time from Pokemon and even has references to the older games in them.

I honestly liked the overall world of the game. The Stadium layout was great. I like how the Town feels pseudo 3D as well so you cannot get lost.

I liked how the Champion endorsed you and was there for most of the game.

More interaction with the Professors Granddaughter added a much needed connection as in previous games the professor gives you a Pokemon and...does absolutely nothing else. You also see her grow as a character and
ends up being the Professor by end game.

Many of the Pokemon choices were amazing. Otherwise rare Pokes from older games were catchable this time. (Eevee)

The Champion actually raises the third pokemon in his team so when you finally face him, you see that he cares for his lowest level Pokemon.

Being based on the UK, they did a good job on the first few towns in the game.

The Gyms themselves were challenging but doable. Sometimes the games can either be too easy or too hard but they got it mostly right here.

Dat Streets of Rage reference in one of the towns!!!

The bad points were:

That the towns didn't have much to do in them.

The routes are not very explorable and no Victory Road.

You cannot re-battle trainers (this is a huge negative for me despite Poke jobs alleviating that side) Except for the Cafe Dudes.

The Wild Area is basically a lazy way of not putting unique Pokemon on certain routes

You don't get that many items from people in the towns

The story was not that great as the Villian at the end had a good intentions goal and it falls flat as soon as you realise what he was trying to do.

Too many rivals!!!! Your main one was irritating, the other Dude was kind of this weird shoe in that you don't see for half the game and although I liked the female rival, I honestly saw no point in her as she shown up randomly in the game and then suddenly supports you by end game. I think the rivalry in this game was the weakest. Black's Rival "N" is the best one and Black isn't even my favourite game.

The game kind of promoted 3 Gym Leaders by end game which is why there is so much fan art of them but they didn't do much to add to the story otherwise.

Limited Pokemon so you cannot catch them all. Major point of them being missing and quite sad to be honest. Even this new game has only a few new Pokes.

One of the towns is a literal Desert Area. I mean...where the hell is there a Desert in England, Scotland or Wales!!!!

They didn't take advantage of British Wildlife that well. I saw no Magpies, Robins or Shrews in the game but they decude to add another regional version of Meowth, which is redundant because of another Pokemon that looks similar?

Dynamaxing....there wasn't really much point to it. Spectacular the first time you see it but....yeah...

Animations were reused. I understand that not every move can have animations but my main used a Kick animation that was not used during a kick move, some animations were not linked to certain moves which made it hilarious and sad at the same time.

Overall enjoyed my time with it, there is a lot of things to like about it, but it certainly falls short for a veteran of Pokemon games. I believe they should have doubled the routes and towns in the game, put more unique pokemon in certain areas. Just have two rivals in the game and not shoehorn the best part of the story in the final part of the game.

Game Freak have potential to have made it their best game but it does sadly fall short. The graphics aren't as bad as people make it out to be and I never expect it to be amazing myself. I enjoyed what it portrayed but I do feel like the details were lessened as the draw distance game into play.

Last edited:
Has anybody ordered from Play-Asia? I want FF 7 & 8 Twin pack and Okami for Switch but I'm uncertain of the site. Like shipping and extra fees and stuff like that. I hate importing but there is nowhere else to go if you want these games.

I've ordered from them before, typically takes around a month for something to reach the U.S and that was when shit was normal. I have no idea what the shipping times would be like now unless your wanting to spend a crap ton of money to get it quickly.

The catastrophe might actually have supported its sale so far.

It definitely was the right game at the right time.

The only way I see Animal Crossing leapfrogging Mario Kart 8 is if Mario Kart 9 comes out. Mario Kart just has too much of an advantage in terms of time and continues to sell very strongly.

Mario Kart 8 is at 25 million copies sold. Animal Crossing is probably crossing 20 not long in the future. It's very doable, I thought Pokemon would be the one to dethrone MK though.

Woopah

They are unreliable in terms of getting accurate numbers, because theirs most of the time are ridiculously lower than the actual one.

So we can at least gauge the reception based on them.

I don't even know if we can do that. Have we ever been able to compare Famitsu's global digital estimates to reality so see if they're right? I know in Japan they often get things wrong.
It definitely was the right game at the right time.

Mario Kart 8 is at 25 million copies sold. Animal Crossing is probably crossing 20 not long in the future. It's very doable, I thought Pokemon would be the one to dethrone MK though.

By the time Animal Crossing gets to 20 million I think Mario Kart will be near to or over 28 million, so still a large gap. I could be underestimating it though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sweet an indie I’ve been waiting for

CrossCode is one of my all-time favorite games. It is an absolute masterpiece, and you should all play it.

Curious what performance on Switch is going to look like, though - the game was built in HTML5 and I know they went to great lengths to make it run at all.

Top Bottom