• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Jooxed

Gold Member
CrossCode is one of my all-time favorite games. It is an absolute masterpiece, and you should all play it.

Curious what performance on Switch is going to look like, though - the game was built in HTML5 and I know they went to great lengths to make it run at all.

I was actually mostly just enamored with the art style I know very little about the game other than those that have played it hype it up.

I’m excited.

StormCell

When they got involved in leftist politics, acknowledging and perpetuating the lie that my country was racist, with zero to say, maybe even encouragement, about the riots happening from coast to coast, where livelihoods have been destroyed, innocent people beaten savagely, and some even murdered.

I'm not excusing them, as it's really not the first tweet they've made virtue signaling leftist views, but I do have to say that THAT is Redmond, WA for you. Do you really expect anything different from a PR team comprised of folks living in the greater Seattle area (probably)? I doubt these tweets align with or resemble anything close to what Nintendo HQ thinks.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm not excusing them, as it's really not the first tweet they've made virtue signaling leftist views, but I do have to say that THAT is Redmond, WA for you. Do you really expect anything different from a PR team comprised of folks living in the greater Seattle area (probably)? I doubt these tweets align with or resemble anything close to what Nintendo HQ thinks.

No excuses. NCL still signs off on political statements like this.

I feel like ‘But NoA!’ is something we all do, including me, when we’re uncomfortable with Nintendo’s greater moves. Like, for example, I don’t think for a second that proper Nintendo had nothing to do with the decision to not bring all those Japanese games, like Xenoblade, to the Wii, back when that was a controversy.

Woopah

No excuses. NCL still signs off on political statements like this.

I feel like ‘But NoA!’ is something we all do, including me, when we’re uncomfortable with Nintendo’s greater moves. Like, for example, I don’t think for a second that proper Nintendo had nothing to do with the decision to not bring all those Japanese games, like Xenoblade, to the Wii, back when that was a controversy.
Why do you think Nintendo of Japan had anything to do with not publishing those Wii games in America? My understanding is that Nintendo's regional branches could choose whether to localise them or not. Nintendo of Europe chose to localise them but NoA thought it wasn't worth the cost.

By the time Animal Crossing gets to 20 million I think Mario Kart will be near to or over 28 million, so still a large gap. I could be underestimating it though.

The thing here is if Mario Kart has enough legs to reach 30 million units sold. Again, numbers are crazy here, but I think that's where Animal Crossing ultimately ends up.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This thread is the best on GAF. So nice and friendly in here. Just a bunch of enthusiasts sharing news and tips and what games they play. Love it.

Jooxed Jooxed deserves all the credit in the world for bringing us together. The state of Nintendo discussion on Gaf before, for complex reasons, wasn't good.

Why do you think Nintendo of Japan had anything to do with not publishing those Wii games in America? My understanding is that Nintendo's regional branches could choose whether to localise them or not. Nintendo of Europe chose to localise them but NoA thought it wasn't worth the cost.

Do you think NCL wasn't aware of the sheer fan outcry, even when it was brought up in multiple Iwata interviews and financial briefings? In the end, the buck stops with them. They could have intervened at any time with NoA's mismanagement, but let it slide for years.

The time period reflects poorly on Nintendo as a whole, not just NoA. Doubly so for recent events, where their direct involvement would have certainly been required.

But. It's page 64. I'm letting this one go, because we need to celebrate this awesome thread.

Woopah

The thing here is if Mario Kart has enough legs to reach 30 million units sold. Again, numbers are crazy here, but I think that's where Animal Crossing ultimately ends up.
If there's no Mario Kart 9 this year I think that's a certainty. 8DX sales are rising not falling and I expect it to hit 30 million by the end of 2020.

Jooxed Jooxed deserves all the credit in the world for bringing us together. The state of Nintendo discussion on Gaf before, for complex reasons, wasn't good.

Do you think NCL wasn't aware of the sheer fan outcry, even when it was brought up in multiple Iwata interviews and financial briefings? In the end, the buck stops with them. They could have intervened at any time with NoA's mismanagement, but let it slide for years.

The time period reflects poorly on Nintendo as a whole, not just NoA. Doubly so for recent events, where their direct involvement would have certainly been required.

But. It's page 64. I'm letting this one go, because we need to celebrate this awesome thread.

Yeah I can agree with that. Nintendo of Japan didn't block those games going to the US but they didn't force NoA to localise them either.

But as you say this is a time for celebration, thanks for everything Jooxed! I'm hoping Nintendo delivers a great September Direct to reward you!

I really want some new, big games. I’m glad I have Xenoblade to pass time, but I want some new games. I’ll get around to finishing all the Bioshock games, but those aren’t new experiences. Even the rumored stuff is remakes and rereleases. I’m happy to replay the Mario games, again, but I’ve already finished them all multiple times.

Also -Arcadia- -Arcadia- , I’m with you on the frustration with NoA.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up Golf Story cheap on eshop and Astral Chain for £37 on amazon.
Making good progress on Mario Odyssey, Zelda is taking a bit of a back seat to it because it’s so damn good.
Picked up Mario+rabbits for £11 and it seems fun enough though I haven’t given it as much time as I should yet owing to Mario.

Jooxed

Gold Member
This place is so chill.

What is Nintendo GAF looking for out of tonight's PS5 event? (yeah I know that sounds like a stupid question, but many of us are following it anyway)

Really hoping to see the next Final Fantasy, RPGs I can’t play on switch are the only reason for me to have a PlayStation, XV was such a letdown for me.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This place is so chill.

What is Nintendo GAF looking for out of tonight's PS5 event? (yeah I know that sounds like a stupid question, but many of us are following it anyway)

I'm hoping for awesome new games, just like everyone else.

Saruhashi

Banned
This place is so chill.

Anything at all really. It'll be cool to see next gen games.

Sometimes people get too invested in these events when basically they are just new game announcements.

I'd like to see a sequel to Horizon. Maybe a Spider-Man sequel too.

Saruhashi

Banned
I am excited to see the ban list after tonight !

Haha. Same.

It's going to be interesting as we get confirmation of prices, launch titles and then finally sales figures.

I lost my enthusiasm for AAA in the last few years. With stuff like Mass Effect Andromeda and Fallout 76 and Anthem I feel like you never know how something is going to play out. Then I end up feeling that games like Dead Cells, Hollow Knight, Ori and Cuphead are actually among my favorites in recent times so I dunno if I can get hyped up properly for big announcements.

The hype and build up to Anthem, for example, was so much better than the actual game. :)

I'm more interested to see what games can do mechanically with more powerful systems.
What kind of combat systems or platforming mechanics will come out of this new gen.

There's too much focus on graphics, frames per second and story telling for my liking.
Though I don't mind if people are super into those things. It just isn't my main focus.

"Back in my day we had to make do with 16 bits and 512 colors!"

LOL I used to think it was freaking AWESOME if the screen got so crazy the game started slowing down like as if they game is so epic the console can't even keep up for a few seconds. Now if Digital Foundry says a game sometimes drops to 25 fps there are pre-orders getting cancelled all over the place. :)

StormCell

Yeah, I'm mostly looking forward to getting to see a new Horizon game. It's time. It's definitely time. I really enjoyed H:ZD and the DLC.

I would love to see a trailer or a teaser for a new Spider-man.

Beyond that, my biggest reasons for owning a Playstation are usually their baseball games and Gran Turismo. I didn't even bother with GT for PS4 just because of the amount of disappointment that surrounded it. I'm hoping that they will do a better job with the series this time around.

I've lost nearly all hope with the Final Fantasy franchise. I'm scoffed at whenever I suggest that Bravely has surpassed modern FF, but if I'm looking for just a fun jRPG then that's Bravely in any form. Maybe a new FF will bring redemption to the franchise, but in my mind we're already living in a sort of post-jRPG market. Plenty of good jRPGs are released each console gen, but they're just not the big deal that they used to be.

I can't think of anything else I'm really truly interested in on Playstation that I would like to see.

-Arcadia-

Banned
GT Sport is a really cool online/competitive game though StormCell StormCell . From taking classes on polite, non-tard driving before you can start a race with other players, to just how online competition is baked into every part of it, it's really well done.

As far as the question... well, Sony is on the same list as Nintendo for me right now, as is Microsoft. I'm not in a rush to celebrate either of the three.

That said, I do hope they go all in on visuals. I think that's what Sony and Microsoft are good at, that's what they've become known for, and that's what I look for from new systems from them. I really enjoy that.

Just push the boat out as hard as you can, and give a good reason to still be tethered to the TV.

I'm hoping for some amazing games too, but I'll probably get cinematic trailers and be expected to be happy about it. So definitely a visual thing.

Jooxed

Gold Member
GT Sport is a really cool online/competitive game though StormCell StormCell . From taking classes on polite, non-tard driving before you can start a race with other players, to just how online competition is baked into every part of it, it's really well done.

As far as the question... well, Sony is on the same list as Nintendo for me right now, as is Microsoft. I'm not in a rush to celebrate either of the three.

That said, I do hope they go all in on visuals. I think that's what Sony and Microsoft are good at, that's what they've become known for, and that's what I look for from new systems from them. I really enjoy that.

Just push the boat out as hard as you can, and give a good reason to still be tethered to the TV.

I'm hoping for some amazing games too, but I'll probably get cinematic trailers and be expected to be happy about it. So definitely a visual thing.

Do you typically purchase all three consoles?

StormCell

I don't like rewarding any of them with my money or attention, either, when they echo politics I don't agree with. We don't seem to have a voice nowadays.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm going to get into it this weekend for both the game and your pre edited comment.
You son of a bitch you ruined my follow up joke :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It starts pretty rough, but I say give it a few hours. Gunplay will always feel subpar though, but I think the overall quirkiness and story make up for it.

Jooxed

Gold Member
You son of a bitch you ruined my follow up joke :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It starts pretty rough, but I say give it a few hours. Gunplay will always feel subpar though, but I think the overall quirkiness and story make up for it.

Haha gotta be quick, I always have GAF pulled up during my work day.

I am pretty excited about it. The people that love it really love it but are very upfront about its technical issues so I feel like I know what I am getting into and can just enjoy the experience.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You son of a bitch you ruined my follow up joke
c04a8412-0162-45ec-9954-74031fdc7568_text.gif

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Haha gotta be quick, I always have GAF pulled up during my work day.

I am pretty excited about it. The people that love it really love it but are very upfront about its technical issues so I feel like I know what I am getting into and can just enjoy the experience.
I haven't seen anything on the second one outside of some screenshots, but I'm hoping it's a bit more refined in terms of the combat and driving.

Although my gut tells me it's going to try a bit too hard to recapture the charm and magic of the original, only to completely miss the point and suffer as a result. Hope I'm wrong though.

Knock knock

Last edited:

Astral Dog

This place is so chill.

I don't have any idea what they could show that we don't know yet, i mean i expects lots of hype reveals like Silent Hill, Dragons Dogma, Elden Ring, Horizon2, Demons Souls etc. But not sure what else and thats part of the hype.

I really want to see Resident Evil VIII, maybe we will see FFXVI.

For Switch i only want to see Metroid V (or Prime 4 but that one God knows when its coming out) Bayonetta 3 and BotW, anything else is gravy. Unfortunately, with the current global crisis and Nintendo's secretive ways, we may not see anything exciting this year :(

The other Nintendo community are tearing themselves apart with the lack of news those poor souls

Last edited:
This place is so chill.

I think they will be watching to see the PS5's DBZ Power Level to the Switch's.

Currently the PS4 is Super Saiyan Goku or something and the Wii U is Gohan (Unlocked Potential, Namek Saga).

I will say the Switch is Freeza's Final Form and the PS5 will be Super Saiyan Ascended Vegeta.

Given I play the Switch and PS4 equally, I am not in the Power Race, but I am interested in the Technology of the Console and what features it will have.

Woopah

Things I'm most looking forward to are Horizon and God of War sequels. Sony has turned into one of my favourite publishers this gen.

Top Bottom