• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Dota 2 Hero Contest, Voting Thread! Come Show Your Support

GhostRidah said:
Yea I should have seen it coming, god knows how much I have been on the internet and seen these contests, what blinded me from seeing it I think was trying my best to do good for gaf I guess.

I do apologize for everything that has went down and how it went down, for the people who don't win, don't be too upset or sad about this, beta will be open a lot more than it is very soon.
Inside info or wishful thinking? And is 'soon' measured in Valve time or real time?

I vote for #23.

Meus Renaissance said:
The OP probably got the idea for a contest because he wanted people to demonstrate their passion and enthusiasm. I saw that in Spookie in more ways than just his drawing, so that's why I disagree with you calling it 'the worst, and thats why I asked around if people could vote for him too. It isn't meant to be a hijacking, or some blind loyalty to an individual I know...
Maybe, but there's been "better" entries that have more passion and enthusiasm.

I genuinely think he deserves to win it.
Too bad it's just you.

Sibylus

Banned
Goon Boon said:
If everyone thought the contest was being run unfairly, they should have spoken up. GhostRidah listened to the complaints about late runners being treated unfairly in the first thread and delayed the voting period until everyone had a chance to get ready, so if anyone had any qualms they should have just said them :/
I do have some deep misgivings about it, but like the oversight last time, I had good reasons for not raising a fuss. Given that I have a proverbial horse in the race, I think it's better if I don't make valid concerns look like politicking and sour grapes from my corner (and derail them in the process). But uh, kinda have to talk about it now given your objection. My silence up until this point isn't an endorsement of the gray behavior seemingly exhibited in the contest thus far, and should not be taken as such.

Frankly, it's a mess. The mandate for the contest from the beginning was skill, and I think there can be little disagreement that the specter of compensatory gifts and called in favors runs counter to the spirit of that mandate. None of us entrants are entitled to the key at this point, it's a gift from Icefrog and Ghost, and if he so deems that the contest merits a redo of some kind, I do believe that's entirely within his rights.

A judging panel comprised of some mods was suggested before, perhaps it could be that plus our members who are in the beta at present (which would be 12+ people or so, correct?). Maybe the idea of a Gaf inhouse competition could be re-raised. I don't know how well a 3v3 would work, but it's an idea, perhaps Gaffers already in the beta could fill out the remaining slots.

Botolf said:
I do have some deep misgivings about it, but like the oversight last time, I had good reasons for not raising a fuss. Given that I have a proverbial horse in the race, I think it's better if I don't make valid concerns look like politicking and sour grapes from my corner (and derail them in the process). But uh, kinda have to talk about it now given your objection. My silence up until this point isn't an endorsement of the gray behavior seemingly exhibited in the contest thus far, and should not be taken as such.

Frankly, it's a mess. The mandate for the contest from the beginning was skill, and I think there can be little disagreement that the specter of compensatory gifts and called in favors runs counter to the spirit of that mandate. None of us entrants are entitled to the key at this point, it's a gift from Icefrog and Ghost, and if he so deems that the contest merits a redo of some kind, I do believe that's entirely within his rights.

A judging panel comprised of some mods was suggested before, perhaps it could be that plus our members who are in the beta at present (which would be 12+ people or so, correct?). Maybe the idea of a Gaf inhouse competition could be re-raised. I don't know how well a 3v3 would work, but it's an idea, perhaps Gaffers already in the beta could fill out the remaining slots.

I guess I'll say something too (didn't want to earlier because I too have a selection). I think spookie's submission doesn't have much work or thought put into it and I'm sad to see him win a key. Sure - I can see someone going for the "funny" votes but to be honest there are a lot more funny ones with a lot more work done in the lineup. Nothing like putting hours of work into something, only to be beaten because I don't have enough GAF friends :(

Wedge7

lol, this is so ridiculous.

OF COURSE its a popularity contest, calling in favors, voting for someone you know. The fact that it is becoming something of an issue now is whats stupid. I dont see why people are making a big deal about it now, and all this passive aggressive shit is sad to see. Half the people criticizing about this calling in favors stuff is guilty of it themselves.

#5 lobbied all of HON-Gaf to vote for him, with the classic "At least one of us is in, so vote for me" stuff. Thats awesome, and I dont see why thats a bad thing. I'm sure alot of the other guys asked the various sub groups that they frequent to vote for them as well, hell the guy I voted for was partially due to his hero, but also in part that he asked in SC2 to throw him some votes, and i was more than willing. As for Spookie's, I think its in bad taste to be bad mouthing him and saying he should be dq'ed etc. Guy is desperate and passionate for a key, fuck, I dont mind that one bit. Shows that he really wants the key and is willing to fight for it. I have no qualms about shit like that in competitions like this that were going to be all about popularity and vote getting since the very beginning. Fuck, I thought the creepy voices were a nice touch.

Either way, whats done is done (I'm assuming, would be sort of odd to change things at the last minute, but would be hilarious for the lulz and shitstorm it could create), and it just seems petty to shit all over this good little contest with good intentions just because the dude your backing might not win.

Swag

Wedge7 said:
lol, this is so ridiculous.

OF COURSE its a popularity contest, calling in favors, voting for someone you know. The fact that it is becoming something of an issue now is whats stupid. I dont see why people are making a big deal about it now, and all this passive aggressive shit is sad to see. Half the people criticizing about this calling in favors stuff is guilty of it themselves.

#5 lobbied all of HON-Gaf to vote for him

jay-z-that-shit-cray.gif

This was bound to happen the moment it was open vote, but I think the people that made somewhat balanced heroes are upset that the humor Overpowered heroes are getting voted because they are meme centric. Like I said it's like a high school student body president campaign, person with the most friends wins.

Megaton should by default get a key for that awesome art

Wedge7

Bah, now I wish I hadn't voted. Things are going down to the wire and getting close, every vote counts, selling mine for $5. Paypal only plz.

The moment I saw the thread title I hoped for a Bish hero. Was not disappointed. I vote Bish, and LOL at that fucking sliding ban gif. Fucking gold, can't stop laughing. What movie is that from?? (Some Bollywood action movie no doubt)

Artanisix

OF COURSE its a popularity contest, calling in favors, voting for someone you know. The fact that it is becoming something of an issue now is whats stupid.

The only people I've asked to vote for me are the people who said they would vote for me in the first thread. I'm doing remarkably well in that respect, it's just frustrating that I have a very real chance to lose to those asking for favors.

Spookie

Guesong said:
A tie provoked by a sudden change of heart by Spookie, 5 minutes before the end?

*popcorn.gif*

Well I've been speaking to Goon all day he's a nice guy and I'd like to play with him.

Spookie

Yep joint 3rd just tallied it up. Both have 23. There is only one way to settle this.

Coin toss.

Only kidding! IceFrog we require another key sir.

japtor

Spookie said:
Yep joint 3rd just tallied it up. Both have 23. There is only one way to settle this.

Coin toss.

Only kidding! IceFrog we require another key sir.
I think we need more copies of Binding of Issac.

Card Boy

Banned
Only reason i gave my vote was because of Binding of Issac game. If theres no game, then i'm retracting my vote and voting for number 15 John Dudebro

Goon Boon

Banned
Gez said:
Only reason i gave my vote was because of Binding of Issac game. If theres no game, then i'm retracting my vote and voting for number 15 John Dudebro
If you try to change your vote it should be nulled (I believe spooky is far enough to not need your's). You wanted to be a dick vote and you got it.

Top Bottom