• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Dota 2 Hero Contest, Voting Thread! Come Show Your Support

Ikuu said:
Why did you edit out this post that was saying how you PM'd a bunch of people in the football thread to come vote for your friend?

Posted on the wrong thread. Yes, I PM'd a couple of them to ask if they could vote for my friend. What's wrong with that? It's not like I bribed them.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Meus Renaissance said:
Posted on the wrong thread. Yes, I PM'd a couple of them to ask if they could vote for my friend. What's wrong with that? It's not like I bribed them.
Oh nothing, just letting people know why one of the worst entries is going to win.

Akia

Spookie should have been disqualified due to his post in the last thread.

This contest is not being run properly. Ghost you should do the right thing. You already have the post from the last thread as evidence.

Card Boy

Banned
Akia said:

This contest is not being run properly.
Agreed I'm glad you said it, i didn't want to create a shit storm by typing it.

Ikuu said:
Oh nothing, just letting people know why the worst entry is going to win.

I probably would have voted for Spookie because I know him, but the reason I asked others if they'd be willing to vote for him too is because of his genuine (not saying other contestants aren't) desperation to get this key. I've not seen anything like it before. It'd be such a delight for him, and in a sentimental way, I'd like that desperation/hope/anxiety to be rewarded. The OP probably got the idea for a contest because he wanted people to demonstrate their passion and enthusiasm. I saw that in Spookie in more ways than just his drawing, so that's why I disagree with you calling it 'the worst, and thats why I asked around if people could vote for him too. It isn't meant to be a hijacking, or some blind loyalty to an individual I know - I genuinely think he deserves to win it.

Akia said:

This contest is not being run properly. Ghost you should do the right thing. You already have the post from the last thread as evidence.

He didn't buy votes, and neither did I, that's going too far. I can show screenshots of every PM I sent to prove that the guys who did vote for him recently did so without any incentive and for no reason other than considering my plea. So disqualification for the presumption that he did anything wrong is BS when it isn't true

Meus Renaissance said:
He didn't buy votes, and neither did I, that's going too far. I can show screenshots of every PM I sent to prove that the guys who did vote for him recently did so without any incentive and for no reason other than considering my plea. So disqualification for the presumption that he did anything wrong is BS when it isn't true
In the last thread he said something along the lines of 'people aren't voting enough, free copy of The Binding of Isaac to anyone who votes for me!' which he then edited out. Now all of a sudden tons of people are voting for him, if people were just voting out of friendship, then Spookie would have asked them before offering free games.

darkpaladinmfc said:
In the last thread he said something along the lines of 'people aren't voting enough, free copy of The Binding of Isaac to anyone who votes for me!' which he then edited out. Now all of a sudden tons of people are voting for him, if people were just voting out of friendship, then Spookie would have asked them before offering free games.

I know how it looks. He had that idea, that's how crazy he was for it but if need be I will take a screenshot of every PM I sent out and got back - I'll even let Ghost login into my GAF account to see them. No one was paid off for Christs sake. People who have recently voted are guys I know. Not Spookie. I was texting some of them several times pleading Spookie's case and thankfully they responded.

What will it take for people to believe I didn't bribe them? My god, lol. I asked friends if they could vote for my friend.

This was the timeline. Spookie sent me a tweet yesterday afternoon asking me if I'd vote for him but the voting hadn't yet begun. I PM'd Ghost to know when it would start and where the voting thread would be. Spookie then asked me if I had the numbers of a couple of Gaffers we went to the Expo with last week, and so I sent them a text asking if they could vote for him. I remember him mentioning incentives but I told him it was no trouble, that a thank you to those who voted for him would be good enough.

After that, I realised how much he wanted this so I went (without his instructions) to ask other friends if they'd consider voting for him. So these recent votes for him aren't due to Spookie himself, but me. I have the PM's to show that. I know Spookie talk about incentives in the other thread, but if we're judging the new votes because of that - know these are my Gaf friends and I certainly didn't pay them or give them anything in return. I merely asked them.

If there is any doubt, let me know how I can prove any of this. If people are upset that friends are voting for friends, then I apologise but I don't see anything wrong with that if contestants are allowed to vote for their own entries. If however people are upset because they are assuming these votes are due to bribes, then I don't know how to say it other than that it simply isn't true.

Spookie

darkpaladinmfc said:

It was a semi-joking post which I shouldn't have put up considering what's at stake here. I just didn't know how heated this was going to get, apologies.

Regardless of whether money is involved (and I think it is), this is a lame way for someone to win a contest. The voting system clearly doesn't work.

Arnie

darkpaladinmfc said:
Regardless of whether money is involved (and I think it is), this is a lame way for someone to win a contest. The voting system clearly doesn't work.
It seems to be working for #2.

Valygar

If we should vote 3 entries instead of only 1, this probably would have worked better. Or list them 1-5, dunno.

Goon Boon

Banned
If everyone thought the contest was being run unfairly, they should have spoken up. GhostRidah listened to the complaints about late runners being treated unfairly in the first thread and delayed the voting period until everyone had a chance to get ready, so if anyone had any qualms they should have just said them :/

Goon Boon said:
If everyone thought the contest was being run unfairly, they should have spoken up. GhostRidah listened to the complaints about late runners being treated unfairly in the first thread and delayed the voting period until everyone had a chance to get ready, so if anyone had any qualms they should have just said them :/
I don't think people realised that a majority of the votes would be people voting for friends. If the number of people voting was high enough, then this format would be less of an issue.

First let me say I am extremely disappointed in gaf, yes I know how bad a lot of you want a key, but I would have thought that people on here of all places would not stoop so low.

I warned Spookie once about "buying" votes, if I find out he offered to buy votes after my warning I will ban him.

Although I don't agree with friends voting for friends, there is nothing wrong with that, people should be voting based on the heroes submitted though but I guess that wont happen.

I didn't make the contest judged by mods or others because I wanted the community to take part in this, now I can see it was a bad decision, I thought the community was better than this, and it makes me sad I really went out my way to get invites for you guys, and this is how its turning out.

Ikuu

GhostRidah said:
First let me say I am extremely disappointed in gaf, yes I know how bad a lot of you want a key, but I would have thought that people on here of all places would not stoop so low.

I warned Spookie once about "buying" votes, if I find out he offered to buy votes after my warning I will ban him.

Although I don't agree with friends voting for friends, there is nothing wrong with that, people should be voting based on the heroes submitted though but I guess that wont happen.

I didn't make the contest judged by mods or others because I wanted the community to take part in this, now I can see it was a bad decision, I thought the community was better than this, and it makes me sad I really went out my way to get invites for you guys, and this is how its turning out.
It was pretty obvious that allowing people to vote for the winner would have this result.

hclflow

GhostRidah said:

Don't feel too bad. At least you tried to be an optimist about it and made an honest effort at holding a creative competition; you just expected people to play by gentlemen's rules. But yes, the spirit of competition has been pretty much ruined by a couple guys who decided to skirt around a loose set of rules. Honestly can't say I'm surprised someone went there!

vocab

GhostRidah said:

It's a novel idea, but it's a popularity contest at the end of the day. That's how most vote things go. Maybe you should pick your favorite three, and give the people who thought out their hero legitimately a chance.

GhostRidah said:

If you really don't want to change the way the contest works, then why not ask IceFrog to give three extra keys and judge the remaining heroes himself? Even though I won't win, I'm happy that three people voted for me because they actually liked what I did <3.

Valygar

This is a no contest free entry! (well, for this contest lol, I still would like a key)

When I saw this it was too late to enter the contest, but I could not stop thinking what I would have done. I expected to see more shit like this.

EVIL
Secret Leader of the weird NeoGAF cult.

2zdydu8.jpg

Story
No one knows who really is the mastermind behind NeoGAF, he only communicates through his avatar, EVIL. Everyone who tries to investigate about him dissapears, but there are rumours about his name... Lore .
EVIL has appeared recently in DOTA 2, and nobody knows the reason, but probably Lore wants to expand NeoGAF to the DOTA universe. EVIL was designed to patrol NeoGAF and believes DOTA is just another forum with a non-practical interface.

308a3j4.jpg

Hero Information
Lore uses EVIL to control NeoGAF, so most of his abilities allow his avatar to have total control of the map and heroes. He is not a strong character in combat, but once you realize there is no way to win against him, you are already dead.

Role: CC/Support

STATS:
STR: 20 + 2.1
AGI: 24 + 2.5
INT: 18 + 2.0

Skills:

Q - Post
Skill Type: Active Ability
Target: Enemy/Ally
Damage Type: Physical
Effect: When Evil choose an enemy thread to post, he appears in front of the enemy and it suffers 100/120/150/180 damage. When he posts in an ally thread, Evil shields the OP for 100/130/170/230 damage.
Cast Range: 1500
Cost: 200/220/220/220 Mana
Cooldown: 60/55/45/35 Seconds

W - Lock
Skill Type: Active Ability/Channel
Damage Type: Physical
Effect: If the thread is from an enemy, the OP suffers 50/70/90/120 damage and a 2 second duration stun. When it is used to protect an ally, it still stuns them, but also gives them invulnerability for 2 seconds, while healing them for 40/60/90/140 health per second.
Cast Range: 400
Cost: 180/150/130/120 Mana
Cooldown: 25/22/19/15 Seconds

E - Subscribe
Skill Type: Toggle
Target: None
Any enemies within Evil's range can be seen by his team, unless they are lurking or invisible. Any ally in this range (Evil included) has its mobility increased by 5/7/9/12 %.
Range: 1500
Cost: 50/45/40/30 Mana/second
Cooldown: 60/55/45/35 Seconds

R - Ban
Skill Type: Active Ability
Effect: At this point, Evil does not distinguish between ally or enemy. The target suffers a temporary ban and its thread is closed, so it goes back in time to 4/6/8/10 seconds ago, and it's also moved to the place it was before .Any damage done by the unit is nullified, as the damage done to it during that time.
Cast Range: 400
Cost: 300/280/250/220 Mana
Cooldown: 90/85/75/60 Seconds

If you liked this and someone gives a lot more keys in the near future, remember me!

Not going to change the way this contest went, I am going to show it to Icefrog though, to show what happened and to thank him. If he decides to give more keys it is up to him, I will not ask for them though.

Guesong

darkpaladinmfc said:
If you really don't want to change the way the contest works, then why not ask IceFrog to give three extra keys and judge the remaining heroes himself?

That's assuming he'll give them. Considering he's already been extra-generous, I doubt he'll just go "Oh, your contest was ruined? Sure, have more keys!".

How Dudebro is not #1, I have no idea. Can't say he's balanced (most of the heroes aren't, mine included), but clearly more effort went into it than CreeperGAF (who don't have a shred of balance in him tbh), and Dudebro is a Grimoire Assembly Forge creation. He IS the ultimate GAF representative made hero-form. And yet...

Chavelo

I'll just leave this here...

via PM said:
Hi
I'm not asking you to support me but I've called in every favour, on every forum because this game means a lot to me. If you don't want to vote for me that's OK but please don't undermine my friends vote.

r08jup.jpg

TheExodu5

Banned
Chavelo said:
I'll just leave this here...

It's a popularity contest, and there's nothing against asking friends to vote. It's against the spirit of the competition, but there's no other way to win the contest as it stands.

Thanks for your efforts in creating the contest, GhostRidah. It's a shame some of us didn't see this coming (and we probably should have) before it was too late.

At least we got to see some interesting entrees. Thanks to everyone who put some effort in entering the contest.

Yea I should have seen it coming, god knows how much I have been on the internet and seen these contests, what blinded me from seeing it I think was trying my best to do good for gaf I guess.

I do apologize for everything that has went down and how it went down, for the people who don't win, don't be too upset or sad about this, beta will be open a lot more than it is very soon.

Ikuu

Far too late, but we should have done it the other way around. Have people submit heroes and people enter for the draw by voting. Considering there was like 500 people who entered the draw and only 100 voting.

GhostRidah said:
Yea I should have seen it coming, god knows how much I have been on the internet and seen these contests, what blinded me from seeing it I think was trying my best to do good for gaf I guess.

I do apologize for everything that has went down and how it went down, for the people who don't win, don't be too upset or sad about this, beta will be open a lot more than it is very soon.

Clearly I'm not popular enough to get even one vote! I'm just a fan trying to play the game.

It's a shame that it turned our this shitty.

Top Bottom