• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From 295 to 170. 43% to 7.6% bodyfat. Flabs to abs.

Congratulations. Thats one helluva a transformation.

You mention doing bodyweight exercises. What sort of body weight exercises do you do and whats sort of routine do you have for those? You also said you do lower body exercises whats your standard lower body workout routine?

You realize this doesn't make sense, right?
I have no doubt IF works for people, but I am pretty sure that is because it helps people maintain a calorie deficit more than anything else.

Hey if you can elaborate further, it'll be great to expand my knowledge on the subject. I'm under the impression that the body uses the resource immediately available to it first, and if there's no food to fuel you it takes it from the excess fat you have stored as a back up.

How long do you fast? 16/8? 18/6? 24?

16/8

Congratulations. Thats one helluva a transformation.

You mention doing bodyweight exercises. What sort of body weight exercises do you do and whats sort of routine do you have for those? You also said you do lower body exercises whats your standard lower body workout routine?

Weighted Dips and Pull Ups.

I don't often do lower body since my legs are naturally big, but when I do its this:

Leg Press
Hip Abduction/Adduction
Leg Extension
Leg Curl

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
That's insane. I had to do a double take to make sure it was the same person. You even got a sweet haircut. Nice job!

I've always been a skinny dude, so I've never had issues with my weight, but I always wanted to be bigger a la your current body type. Maybe it's time.

Weighted Dips and Pull Ups.

Ah ok. So you dont have a push up or crunch routine or anything else outside of that then?

I don't often do lower body since my legs are naturally big, but when I do its this:

Leg Press
Hip Abduction/Adduction
Leg Extension
Leg Curl

Thanks! Have you found your muscle definition in your legs is keeping up well enough with your upper body despite the lower frequency of lower body workouts?

Also you mentioned relying heavily on whey protein. Do you have any brands youd recommend? I'm looking to start adding some additional protein supplementation to my diet as well and there are SO many different protein powders and brands out there these days its kind of overwhelming haha.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I spend almost 3 hours in the gym but only go 2 days a week. I basically do a full upper body workout on Mondays and Thursdays. Sometimes on Saturdays I do some leg work, maybe once every few months. All reverse pyramid training starting with the heaviest weight and going down:

All sets of 8-10-12

Incline Chest Machine
Chest Flies Machine
Weighted Dips
Pull Ups
Lat Pulldown
Dumbell Shoulder Press
Lateral Shoulder Raises
Preacher Curl Barbell
Dumbell Curls
Cable Triceps

Walk 15 min to the gym, 15 min back.
That's it.
Wait so you're doing the three sets of each of those just once per visit?

Ah ok. So you dont have a push up or crunch routine or anything else outside of that then?

On some "rest" days if I feel up for it I do an ab routine which consist of using an ab roller and then doing some leg raises. I go by the Athlean X rule of body weight exercises here. Do your set until failure, and then multiply that number by at least 3 (or more if you want a bigger challenge) to give the total number of reps in the work out.

So for example you do 20 push ups in your first set. Your goal is to do 60 total (including the 20 you just did) in how ever many sets you want to divide that in.

Thanks! Have you found your muscle definition in your legs is keeping up well enough with your upper body despite the lower frequency of lower body workouts?

Also you mentioned relying heavily on whey protein. Do you have any brands youd recommend? I'm looking to start adding some additional protein supplementation to my diet as well and there are SO many different protein powders and brands out there these days its kind of overwhelming haha.

Muscle definition mostly relies on bodyfat % so no problem there. I had visible vascularity in my calves even at 190 at 15% BF.

Buy whatever protein is cheapest and taste the best to you. I'm currently on a tub of MP Cookies and Cream, and it's actually not too bad and has 25g of protein and 120 calories per scoop. I'll definitely be buying it again.

On some "rest" days if I feel up for it I do an ab routine which consist of using an ab roller and then doing some leg raises. I go by the Athlean X rule of body weight exercises here. Do your set until failure, and then multiply that number by at least 3 (or more if you want a bigger challenge) to give the total number of reps in the work out.

So for example you do 20 push ups in your first set. Your goal is to do 60 total (including the 20 you just did) in how ever many sets you want to divide that in.

Muscle definition mostly relies on bodyfat % so no problem there. I had visible vascularity in my calves even at 190 at 15% BF.

Buy whatever protein is cheapest and taste the best to you. I'm currently on a tub of MP Cookies and Cream, and it's actually not too bad and has 25g of protein and 120 calories per scoop. I'll definitely be buying it again.

Awesome. Thanks and congratulations again!

Sakura

Not everyone has 3 1/2(including the walking) hrs per single say either. Be it time restriction or energy/stamina.

I ain't no expert, but if you don't have 3 hours in a single day you should be able to spread it across other days.

Zzzonked

Dude you look phenomenal, good work. I'm trying to get to where you are at the moment but I'm coming from the other end - being skinny. I've been looking into IF when I finish my bulk and I'm absolutely gonna try it after seeing your pics.

Nice one!

Amazing transformation OP!

Can you give us a rundown of what a typical day menu of food looks like for u ?

On a workout day -

12pm :

Salad - 689 Cal ( 58C 18F 72P)
Protein Water - 90 Cal ( 20P)

5 PM:

Cereal 112g - 442 Cal (78C 10F 10P)
Greek Yogurt 300g - 260 Cal (44C 24P)

10 PM after my workout:

Whey 2 Scoops - 240 Cal (6C 2F 50P)
Collagen 1 Scoop - 40 Cal (10p)
Milk 6oz - 90 Cal (9C 4F 6P)

On a rest day -

12pm :

Chicken Breast 12oz - 560Cal ( 12F 105P)

5 PM:

Almonds 2oz - 320Cal (12C 28F 12P)
Greek Yogurt 300g - 260 Cal (44C 24P)

8 PM:

Whey 2 Scoops - 240 Cal (6C 2F 50P)
Collagen 1 Scoop - 40 Cal (10p)
Milk 6oz - 90 Cal (9C 4F 6P)

What's your age OP? Me and the gf have been looking to get in better shape.

29 in October.

TissueBox

Well pinch me... that is amazing. And very true, regarding that exercise + effort statement. Looking swell, more than swell, OP!

Me reading OPs post:
200.gif

Great work OP!

I actually started IF in May and have lost 30lbs since then. It really feels like a sustainable lifestyle change. That's never been the case with any other diet I've had. And I get to eat pizza! (I have a lot of keto friends that hate me for this)

I just started body weight exercises and some light lifting to start change my body composition a bit, and seeing your results reminds me to stick with it and keep going.

Thanks for sharing!

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Holy fucking shitballs jesus christ!!!

Now I need to hit the gym like everyone else in this thread.

tpfkanep

I've always been really confident so I never had problems engaging women before. Now it is actually more of a problem because women and men randomly approach me. I get cat called all the time but I take it all very humorously.
Buggerit! So fucking envious of you now.

Henshin A Go Go Baby!

Eferim

This thread is a bit eerie. About a week ago I decided that I had had enough not fitting into my clothes so I decided to go on a diet. I checked my weight on Thursday and found that I weighed 295 lbs. which was pretty shocking since this is the largest I've ever been in my life and couldn't believe how much I'd gained (strangely I'm also 6ft tall and about to turn 28 in October... kinda weird).

So I haven't started exercising yet but I plan on taking up jogging and swimming. I have a pool - not a very big one - but I think it'll suffice. Right now I'm eating about 600-700 calories a day though today I probably had closer to 800-900. I'd like the weight to come off pretty fast but the number on the scale hasn't changed much :(.

I wondered what would be a good weight for me. I figured 170 would be a little too low and my ribs would stick out at that weight but you look fantastic so maybe I should shoot for 170 and see how it goes.

As an aside, about 6 years ago I started dieting and exercising and ended up losing 70 lbs in 7 weeks. At the time I thought it was great but looking back I realize how dumb that was. In addition to losing fat I was probably also losing muscle. Not gonna push it as hard this time around.

Anyways fantastic work OP. Well done!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Great news and congrats on the result!

Ive said this before, but what Im always amazed by is how much better the picture quality is when people improve their looks. Just once I want AMAZING lighting in the "before" and then some webcam crooked shit in the "after" once you have 13 abs

Slaythe

May I ask : if you have to deal with loose skin, and if you were able to rebuild your buttocks / lower waist area with exercise.

Thx

Nightfall

That's amazing OP!

I'm stuck at about 23% with being 6'3" and 192 lbs. I'm perfectly fine with my weight but I'm struggling to reduce the body fat.

May I ask : if you have to deal with loose skin, and if you were able to rebuild your buttocks / lower waist area with exercise.

Thx

Look under my belly, that's what loose skin looks like. When I sit down my stomach gets a lot of skinfolds sort of like a dog. When I go prone my skin literally hangs.

You can take some Collagen to help you out with the tightening but in the grand scheme of things this is nothing but a slight inconvenience in comparison to being obese.

Answered here ^

6ft and 170 with that ripped bod? How?!

170 is not "big" I'm actually fairly slim. I wear small size shirts and polos and my pants are anywhere from 30-32. You'd never think I looked like that if I didn't take of my shirt.

zeioIIDX

I seriously just asked a good friend of mine for advice a few hours on losing weight and getting into the gym mind frame. And now I stumble across this thread. I'm 215 and only 5'5" and I'm so tired of having chest meats, belly meats, and side meats. I left boot camp at 152lbs in 2008 and somehow I've gained 60+ lbs since then. I would kill to weigh 150lbs again, I'd have so much energy. It's depressing when your 8 year old laughs at your "chi-chis" when you walk around the house shirtless :( I have been wanting to get into prepping my meals for the week. I think that will help cut down on grocery costs as well as calorie intake obviously.

Edit: It's nearly 3am but screw it, I'm jumping into Excel so I can type up a menu for myself to get going for this week. Thanks for this thread OP.

Unicorn

Answered here ^

170 is not "big" I'm actually fairly slim. I wear small size shirts and polos and my pants are anywhere from 30-32. You'd never think I looked like that if I didn't take of my shirt.
I'm a shlub of 6'1" and 200. I guess if I lost 30 lbs I'd be 170 but if I gained muscle I'd expect to put myself back to 200. Just shocked you're as tall as me, but that lean and toned.

Fucking motivating as fuck. Gonna try to fade into an IF diet this next month (I'll be turning 29). Need to start biking more and get my cardio going before I consider gym and weights.

This thread is a bit eerie. About a week ago I decided that I had had enough not fitting into my clothes so I decided to go on a diet. I checked my weight on Thursday and found that I weighed 295 lbs. which was pretty shocking since this is the largest I've ever been in my life and couldn't believe how much I'd gained (strangely I'm also 6ft tall and about to turn 28 in October... kinda weird).

So I haven't started exercising yet but I plan on taking up jogging and swimming. I have a pool - not a very big one - but I think it'll suffice. Right now I'm eating about 600-700 calories a day though today I probably had closer to 800-900. I'd like the weight to come off pretty fast but the number on the scale hasn't changed much :(.

I wondered what would be a good weight for me. I figured 170 would be a little too low and my ribs would stick out at that weight but you look fantastic so maybe I should shoot for 170 and see how it goes.

As an aside, about 6 years ago I started dieting and exercising and ended up losing 70 lbs in 7 weeks. At the time I thought it was great but looking back I realize how dumb that was. In addition to losing fat I was probably also losing muscle. Not gonna push it as hard this time around.

Anyways fantastic work OP. Well done!

You're eating too little calories and will end up losing a ton of muscle. Make sure you have at least 160~200 grams of protein a day.

I also thought 170 was a little to low, but that's because you don't really notice how big you really are right now. At least I didn't. I seriously thought I'd look like I do today if I lost 60lb, 80 at most. I made to 187 in the first year but even after 100+ pounds lost I still had no abs. It turns out your recommended BMI is a pretty good goal to strive for if you want a sleek physique. For bodybuilding 170 at 6ft is puny, but I strived to look more like a model or an actor, than a big muscular man.

You look great man. And your words make a lot of sense. I'm the opposite; I'm a really skinny guy. I look emaciated, really. I keep telling myself I'll change but I never do. I think diet's the hardest part.

turmoil

Banned
. Right now I'm eating about 600-700 calories a day though today I probably had closer to 800-900. I'd like the weight to come off pretty fast but the number on the scale hasn't changed much :(.

It's good seeing that you started taking action, follow that path, but I think that lifestyle changes are better that going to extremes to fast. 1500 calories on a resting day and like 2000-2500 in a walking/swimming would be more sustainable imho.

As for me, at my worst my weight was 130kg, now I'm stuck at 104 but will start jogging/running again this week. But my 1500-2000 cal a day is sacred now.

Baki

I let Myfitnesspal dictate my calories. Which where 1800 for most of my transformation. I prioritized my protein intake, making sure it was at least the same in grams as my lean body mass in pounds (around 160-200 ) everyday. For the last stretch, maybe 2 or 3 months before the shoot I went down to 1500 calories on rest days and 2200 or workout days.

My workouts are all reverse pyramid training, where I start with the heaviest weight and lowest repetition, and then lower the weight and do more repetitions in the following set.

And it can all be achieved with only 2 days a week. Why did you choose 2 days a week and 3 hours per session?

And it can all be achieved with only 2 days a week. Why did you choose 2 days a week and 3 hours per session?

3 Hours is just the amount time it takes me to do all the exercises I feel I need. I didn't want to let this take over my life, so I chose the most minimalist approach possible that was still effective.

Baki

3 Hours is just the amount time it takes me to do all the exercises I feel I need. I didn't want to let this take over my life, so I chose the most minimalist approach possible that was still effective.

I have a very busy work schedule & travel a lot. I can usually count on times on the weekends. Can I adapt your approach and do 3 hour sessions on Saturday and Sunday or do I definitely need a gap between both sessions?

I have a very busy work schedule & travel a lot. I can usually count on times on the weekends. Can I adapt your approach and do 3 hour sessions on Saturday and Sunday or do I definitely need a gap between both sessions?

You definitely need at least one day rest in between.

Top Bottom