• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From 295 to 170. 43% to 7.6% bodyfat. Flabs to abs.

So this is a sequel to this thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1270137&highlight=

Where I posted my one year body transformation. Well it's been a year since then, and here are the results.

2-Year-Fitness-comparison by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

2-year-aniversary by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

The regimen has remained mostly the same. Counting my calories and macros and using intermittent fasting on a daily basis. Working out 2 days a week with full body weight lifting routines.

I've taken a lot my exercises from machines to free weights and started performing a lot better in bodyweight exercises. For example, I couldn't do Dips without assist a year ago, now I do them with additional weights and so on.

In the last thread some people where curious about my measurements so I'll leave them here:

Height: 6ft
Weight: 170
Waist: 32in
Bicep: 15.2in
Forearms: 12in
Thighs: 23in
Calves: 16.5in

Bodyfat: 7.6%

I'll take this quote from the last thread as it is as relevant today as it was a year ago.

Hopefully my results can spark some hope into people who are in a similar situation and are scared to take the plunge. Everyday we do things like go to school, or work where a certain amount of effort is expected from us with absolutely no guarantee that there will be any reward waiting for us in the end. People put years into jobs that make them miserable to eventually never get promoted and in some cases fired without any reasoning. Fitness is the only thing I've encountered where you are guaranteed to be rewarded for the effort you put in. That's why I always refer to it as the easiest "hard" thing you'll ever do.

Edit:

A lot people seem curious as to what I do for exercise - here's basic rundown:

I spend almost 3 hours in the gym but only go 2 days a week. I basically do a full upper body workout on Mondays and Thursdays. Sometimes on Saturdays I do some leg work, maybe once every few months. All reverse pyramid training starting with the heaviest weight and going down:

All sets of 8-10-12

Incline Chest Machine
Chest Flies Machine
Weighted Dips
Pull Ups
Lat Pulldown
Dumbell Shoulder Press
Lateral Shoulder Raises
Preacher Curl Barbell
Dumbell Curls
Cable Triceps

Walk 15 min to the gym, 15 min back.
That's it.

Edit 2:

Here's what I posted along with the pic on IG. Hopefully it'll put some of you in a similar mindset.

Two years ago I made the choice to change my life. What you see now is not the result of the decision I made then, but the result of the many decisions I made on daily basis since then.

Every day we make the choice to move forward, go back, or stay in the same place. I failed many times, but as long as your wins are more than your losses you will come out on top.

The body I have today is what I thought I'd have by the end of the first year, but along the way I learned the true cost of each step in my evolution. I chose not to edit this picture aside from color and lighting in order to give people a real example of the results they can expect if they decide to take on a similar challenge.

Yes, I have stretch marks, scars, and wrinkles where my skin is still loose because of all the abuse it took while I was obese. But I wear these battle scars with pride because they remind me of where I was and how far I've come.

I hope this serves as inspiration to anyone in a similar situation. I did this without the aid of any trainers, nutritionists, or doctors. Without the need for any special medication, or invasive procedures. All the information you need to guide you is online and it is free. There's no excuses.

Damn son. Congrats!

How does your intermittent fasting work?

I really need to cut down on my caloric intake so I might start doing that.

Exuro

That's awesome. Great job. I'm currently 30lbs down this year by changing what/how I eat(focusing on permanently changing my diet rather than focusing on losing weight if that makes sense) and am hoping to be around the same weight eventually. Did you do anything about loose skin around the waist? That's one thing I worry about as I'm losing weight and I feel like the flab is as big as ever.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm striving for the same results. Can you tell me your exact routine and how many calories and what it is that you eat in a day?

Also congrats. You look great.

Lum1n3s

Nice! I really need to get back into the game, managed to bring myself down to 243 (from 328) almost a year ago and stopped due to me feeling comfortable but now I want to get back into it due to me slowly gaining weight. Right now I'm at 256 with my ideal weight being 200.

Anything you can recommend besides counting your calories and eating less? What's the ideal way of losing weight when it comes to incorporating exercise. All I did was walk back when I was going about it.

That's fucking insane.

Working out does wonders.

That and swimming are IMO the best activities for low impact/high reward workouts.

Stick to a regular workout routine, even a light one, and be smart about what you eat and you *will* see rapid and noticeable changes.

That's awesome. Great job. I'm currently 30lbs down this year and am to be around the same weight eventually. Did you do anything about loose skin around the waist?

I definitely have loose skin and you could see the folds below the belly in the picture. It doesn't look to bad when I'm standing like in the picture but when I'm in pushup position it definitely hangs from my stomach.

I was extremely worried about this before starting, but don't let that take your motivation away. You look a 100 times better with abs and little loose skin than being fat and not being able to wear whatever you want.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good job, OP. You look great, and I like the sentiment behind your motivational blurb.

May I ask if there was any specific event or happening that made you decide to get in better shape? What changed in you on the psychological side of things?

I'm striving for the same results. Can you tell me your exact routine and how many calories and what it is that you eat in a day?

Also congrats. You look great.

I let Myfitnesspal dictate my calories. Which where 1800 for most of my transformation. I prioritized my protein intake, making sure it was at least the same in grams as my lean body mass in pounds (around 160-200 ) everyday. For the last stretch, maybe 2 or 3 months before the shoot I went down to 1500 calories on rest days and 2200 or workout days.

My workouts are all reverse pyramid training, where I start with the heaviest weight and lowest repetition, and then lower the weight and do more repetitions in the following set.

god I wish that were me

I've been trying to get in shape for several years now but I too often give into eating too much or just eating junk. Only lost about 60 pounds (which im proud of on its own, but I'm still on the edge of overweight

entremet

I let Myfitnesspal dictate my calories. Which where 1800 for most of my transformation. I prioritized my protein intake, making sure it was at least the same in grams as my lean body mass in pounds (around 160-200 ) everyday. For the last stretch, maybe 2 or 3 months before the shoot I went down to 1500 calories on rest days and 2200 or workout days.

My workouts are all reverse pyramid training, where I start with the heaviest weight and lowest repetition, and then lower the weight and do more repetitions in the following set.

Martin Berkham? Since you mentioned IF, is sounds you followed LeanGains.

Good job, OP. You look great, and I like the sentiment behind your motivational blurb.

May I ask if there was any specific event or happening that made you decide to get in better shape? What changed in you on the psychological side of things?

It was the most trivial thing in the world. My mom basically signed me up to the gym. When I noticed the monthly fee being deducted from my card, I couldn't let the money go to waste.

Then in time I started reading about fitness and learning everything along the way. Tweaking my habits and seeing what worked.

Log4Girlz

Awesome job. I just started losing some weight and I'm old enough now that I really need to make a change before I get elderly.

Top Bottom