• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From 295 to 170. 43% to 7.6% bodyfat. Flabs to abs.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
As someone who has a similar weight as you before you started this transformation i'm really impressed, i had lost like 70 pounds before i had to quit gym and other problems i got and as the result, i got all those pounds back. Definitely gonna try again and succeed like you did :)

Social

Oh man no way I could stick to that.

Not with that attitude, it starts with realising that skipping a meal won't kill you.

I did fasting for a long time and even though I don't do it anymore since I now just count my calories and work out 3 times a week, it's a REALLY great technique to re-establish your relationship with food.

You should have flipped your wiener above your waste line, and then censor it with a Santa Hat, some mistletoe on the Santa Hat...and finally you should have wrote "Happy Holidays ;)" above it all.

But in seriousness, nice work on gettin in great shape. I've lost over 110 lbs in the last 3 years, but I forgot to do the exercise part of it.

danthefan

Not with that attitude, it starts with realising that skipping a meal won't kill you.

I did fasting for a long time and even though I don't do it anymore since I now just count my calories and work out 3 times a week, it's a REALLY great technique to re-establish your relationship with food.

I know it won't kill me but it will probably cause more discomfort than I'm willing to put up with.

dmix90

On a workout day -

12pm :

Salad - 689 Cal ( 58C 18F 72P)
Protein Water - 90 Cal ( 20P)

5 PM:

Cereal 112g - 442 Cal (78C 10F 10P)
Greek Yogurt 300g - 260 Cal (44C 24P)

10 PM after my workout:

Whey 2 Scoops - 240 Cal (6C 2F 50P)
Collagen 1 Scoop - 40 Cal (10p)
Milk 6oz - 90 Cal (9C 4F 6P)

On a rest day -

12pm :

Chicken Breast 12oz - 560Cal ( 12F 105P)

5 PM:

Almonds 2oz - 320Cal (12C 28F 12P)

8 PM:

Looks like a prison schedule/menu lol.
You look great but all this shit is pointless in the end.

Sorry for demotivating post. I used to stick to diet for a few years and looked ok but all this stuff is not bringing me joy especially when i feel better when i eat what i want and how much i want.

Dinjooh

Today I learned that I've been intermittent fasting my whole life. Neato.

Sorry for demotivating post. I used to stick to diet for a few years and looked ok but all this stuff is not bringing me joy especially when i feel better when i eat what i want and how much i want.

We all get a kick from different stuff in life, not a big deal.

I love putting everything I do in systems, including what I eat, so what some might look at as torture or prison, I see as freeing and fulfilling.

Here's the thing. For me hitting my numbers is like a figuring out a puzzle. I get a slight thrill out of it. Especially if there's some sort of deviation in my schedule where I have to do some social activity and I can't eat what I planned so I figure out on the fly how make whatever I have available fit and still hit my macros.

If I have an urge to eat something that's not "prison food" I plan for it. So when I do get to have an oreo cheese cake or whatever it may be I enjoy it even more.

My mentality when being obese was me thinking I was actually free. I was eating junk for all three meals and junk snacks in between. I was drinking a 2 liter bottle of soda on a daily basis. I had 5000~6000 calories a day without actually knowing how damaging it was. I wasn't depressed or anything, I was actually having a ton of fun, but I was ignorant and I was very lucky I didn't kill myself or ended up with a serious health condition.

Now that I know about nutrition and how food actually works, it's like having a third eye. Sort of like the master builders in the Lego movie. I see everything and I am able to make a conscious choice about the food I eat. It is now that I am actually free, because I have the knowledge to make better choices for myself.

I've really been trying with protein intake and weightlifting recently. My transformation is nowhere near as drastic or impressive as yours, but already I've had multiple friends and colleagues comment that I look buff and asking if I've been at the gym. Crazy how good it makes you feel.

I really need to work on the dietary intake though, I've been off work the last six weeks so I've drank and ate way too much. Once I get back into a routine, I intend to control calories much more strictly (using MyFitnessPal most likely!).

My body fats mostly gone, but typically a lot of it resides in the belly! I can see the hint of abs poking through, but I know they'll never show up if I don't do some serious cutting.

Jetku

Once I get back into a routine, I intend to control calories much more strictly (using MyFitnessPal most likely.

Ask yourself, why not start now?

It can't hurt. Maybe look at it as practice. If you start logging whatever you eat, you'll probably notice your diet improving as you'll need to be honest with yourself.

Ask yourself, why not start now?

It can't hurt. Maybe look at it as practice. If you start logging whatever you eat, you'll probably notice your diet improving as you'll need to be honest with yourself.
I've done it before, but I really overdid it (the app was telling me off for eating too few calories and I was just being stupid with it). I lost a noticeable amount of weight the first few weeks but I felt absolutely miserable doing it.

I guess it's just willpower really. I naturally eat way better now, but I'm far too fond of beer. I even started to drink spirits to negate the calorie intake, but it's still empty calories. I naturally won't drink as much when I'm back at work.

I'm not overweight at all by the way, and because of the work I've been putting in I was able to go topless on the beach visiting my girlfriend this summer and feel pretty damn good. But my belly still wobbles a little too much for my liking!

Spasm

Thanks for the thread. Lotsa good info I can use in my next steps. I did 230 to 190 in a year on diet alone, hit a wall, then added cardio (running) and lost 15 more in 6 months. I'm now at 175 and 13%. Now its time to add more muscle mass in order to get leaner.

Mephaisto

Congrats Op, very good work.

One thing that confuses me though. I have read that it is not possible to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time. Yet if I understand correctly, you always had a calorie deficit, but obviously gained quite a bit of muscle. Is what I read wrong? Do you only need to have enough protein? Really curious.

Congrats Op, very good work.

One thing that confuses me though. I have read that it is not possible to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time. Yet if I understand correctly, you always had a calorie deficit, but obviously gained quite a bit of muscle. Is what I read wrong? Do you only need to have enough protein? Really curious.

It's possible under the special circumstance that you are overweight. Most people adhere to the fact that you need a calorie surplus in order to build muscle. The thing is the excess of calories that you need for this process your body can take from the fat you have stored.

If you're a beginner your gains will be maximized as well. So your rule applies to people who are already advanced and have little body fat.

dmix90

Here's the thing. For me hitting my numbers is like a figuring out a puzzle. I get a slight thrill out of it. Especially if there's some sort of deviation in my schedule where I have to do some social activity and I can't eat what I planned so I figure out on the fly how make whatever I have available fit and still hit my macros.

If I have an urge to eat something that's not "prison food" I plan for it. So when I do get to have an oreo cheese cake or whatever it may be I enjoy it even more.

My mentality when being obese was me thinking I was actually free. I was eating junk for all three meals and junk snacks in between. I was drinking a 2 liter bottle of soda on a daily basis. I had 5000~6000 calories a day without actually knowing how damaging it was. I wasn't depressed or anything, I was actually having a ton of fun, but I was ignorant and I was very lucky I didn't kill myself or ended up with a serious health condition.

Now that I know about nutrition and how food actually works, it's like having a third eye. Sort of like the master builders in the Lego movie. I see everything and I am able to make a conscious choice about the food I eat. It is now that I am actually free, because I have the knowledge to make better choices for myself.
You have a positive view of this "third eye" can't say that it's like that for me unfortunately. This food business is constantly in my mind even if i don't lead a healthy path atm. When i was at my heaviest ( 280-290lbs at 5'11 ) i didn't give a single fuck in the world about what i eat and when and had a lot of fun. Ignorance is a bliss....

I would not start to lose weight if i didn't get a job with a lot of physical activity where i started to lose weight naturally even when i still consumed the same food and still did not give a fuck about what i eat. Felt pretty good until i decided to try to push things a bit harder because i was curious "How does it feel to be at normal weight like everyone else" so i ended up in 180lbs range.

After that shit hit the fan: constant looking in the mirror, constant monitoring your weight via scales, always worrying about food you need to eat and how much it will affect your body, judging( in my mind ) other people by their weight, calorie counting via mfp, if i really wanted to eat something tasty/junk i had to plan for it just like you said and when i actually had what i wanted it still not felt good( "That was tasty AF but i still want more... But i can't cause it will fuck up my routine too much" )

Same with the exercise.... starting up is rough but as you lose weight it gets easier but i still always felt like a fucking hamster on a wheel( especially during treadmill routine haha )

In my experience it's a choice between looking good and being always hungry and being fat and enjoying all the tasty shit that world offers in full...which equals to low self esteem in social situations in my case. Since i don't give a shit about society at this moment choice is obvious. I kept some good habits from my dieting days( no soda, no sugar in tea/cofee and a few others ) and slipped to shit food in other areas but this stuff is still constantly on my mind and i wish it wasn't. Still hovering around 210lbs i think( have not stepped on scales in a whiiiile... thank god )

Felt much better when i didn't know about how all this calorie in calorie out mumbo jumbo works even if i was dangerously obese.

Realeza

Banned
What's an easy way to figure out body fat %?

Here you go:

body-fat-percentage-men-e1460747675286.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
OP, how much attention do you get from the ladies compared to when you were chubby?

Serious question lol

sam12

On a workout day -

12pm :

Salad - 689 Cal ( 58C 18F 72P)
Protein Water - 90 Cal ( 20P)

5 PM:

Cereal 112g - 442 Cal (78C 10F 10P)

10 PM after my workout:

On a rest day -

12pm :

Chicken Breast 12oz - 560Cal ( 12F 105P)

5 PM:

Almonds 2oz - 320Cal (12C 28F 12P)

8 PM:

29 in October.

Thank you !

OP, how much attention do you get from the ladies compared to when you were chubby?

Serious question lol

I literally get cat called walking down the street.

For example I was having lunch with a co-worker on Friday, and she text me while were eating - "the girl in the table next to us is taking pictures of you." XD

Zutrax

So I have a bit of a dumb question.

I actually not too long ago went on a weight loss journey. I went from about 280 pounds to now around 160 or so. I'm what a lot of people would probably classify as "Skinnyfat". I didn't do any weight lifting, only cardio.

I want to actually bulk up a bit, but I've been scared of one thing. I have almost no friends who want to do this sort of thing with me or go to the gym with me, and I'm incredibly socially awkward and scared of talking to others there. How do you handle getting people to spot you? Do you just use machines that don't require spotting? Do you just suck it up and ask other people to spot you? Whenever, I've done that I always get really nervous and clammy and end up losing focus and lifting way less than i can because I have a stranger "watching" me. Any advice on that?

AAK

To the OP: Are you still managing to lift heavier and heavier weights or did you plateau at a certain point along this 2 year journey?

Quixzlizx

You have a positive view of this "third eye" can't say that it's like that for me unfortunately. This food business is constantly in my mind even if i don't lead a healthy path atm. When i was at my heaviest ( 280-290lbs at 5'11 ) i didn't give a single fuck in the world about what i eat and when and had a lot of fun. Ignorance is a bliss....

I would not start to lose weight if i didn't get a job with a lot of physical activity where i started to lose weight naturally even when i still consumed the same food and still did not give a fuck about what i eat. Felt pretty good until i decided to try to push things a bit harder because i was curious "How does it feel to be at normal weight like everyone else" so i ended up in 180lbs range.

After that shit hit the fan: constant looking in the mirror, constant monitoring your weight via scales, always worrying about food you need to eat and how much it will affect your body, judging( in my mind ) other people by their weight, calorie counting via mfp, if i really wanted to eat something tasty/junk i had to plan for it just like you said and when i actually had what i wanted it still not felt good( "That was tasty AF but i still want more... But i can't cause it will fuck up my routine too much" )

Same with the exercise.... starting up is rough but as you lose weight it gets easier but i still always felt like a fucking hamster on a wheel( especially during treadmill routine haha )

In my experience it's a choice between looking good and being always hungry and being fat and enjoying all the tasty shit that world offers in full...which equals to low self esteem in social situations in my case. Since i don't give a shit about society at this moment choice is obvious. I kept some good habits from my dieting days( no soda, no sugar in tea/cofee and a few others ) and slipped to shit food in other areas but this stuff is still constantly on my mind and i wish it wasn't. Still hovering around 210lbs i think( have not stepped on scales in a whiiiile... thank god )

Felt much better when i didn't know about how all this calorie in calorie out mumbo jumbo works even if i was dangerously obese.

There's a range between "prison menu" and "fast food and Twinkies 10 times a week." If you aren't too lazy to cook a little, there are all sorts of delicious meals and snacks that are good for you.

If you feel like your diet is a punishment, then of course you'll never permanently stick with it.

For the other people in this thread who mentioned struggling with overindulging in junk food, I've found the best solution for that is not to have it in the house. You can't eat what's not available. I'm actually underweight myself, but I still try to eat healthy snacks instead of empty carbs, even if I'm fine with a high calorie count.

gaiages

Banned
Dude congrats! :D :D :D

Need a realistic version of this for someone with a late night job.

Just change the times to something that works better for you?

Also intermittent fasting doesn't REQUIRE working out to go with it, it just makes results show faster. IF is just "only eat during a designated period". I legit just started IF (again) today and my eating period is 12PM-8PM. That's the time that works for me and my schedule. Find a time that works with you.

Different things work for different people? I personally do better with most things when my life is structured and I plan shit out.

I actually not too long ago went on a weight loss journey. I went from about 280 pounds to now around 160 or so. I'm what a lot of people would probably classify as "Skinnyfat". I didn't do any weight lifting, only cardio.

I want to actually bulk up a bit, but I've been scared of one thing. I have almost no friends who want to do this sort of thing with me or go to the gym with me, and I'm incredibly socially awkward and scared of talking to others there. How do you handle getting people to spot you? Do you just use machines that don't require spotting? Do you just suck it up and ask other people to spot you? Whenever, I've done that I always get really nervous and clammy and end up losing focus and lifting way less than i can because I have a stranger "watching" me. Any advice on that?

I felt a bit like this when I started. Like I didn't look good enough to stand next to the other guys who were also lifting. Honestly nobody cares about how you look, they're focused on their own workout. If anybody sees you doing something horribly wrong it is most likely they will come and correct you. At least that has been my case.

Soon enough you will be ultra comfortable, especially when you start seeing results. I went from wanting to be invisible in the gym, to actually dancing and singing out loud when working out (I'm probably annoying AF, I know).

KingV

Lift more dumbbells than barbells.

I mostly work out alone, and don't use spotters. My way around that is to mostly use dumbbells (though I also sometimes use machines).

Since dumbbells are one in each hand, you're not gonna get trapped by the bar if you go to failure, you can just put the dumbbells on the floor.

You try not to drop them, and usually even when exhausted can set them down in a controlled way... and there's plenty of dumbasses that drop them anyway that most gyms never look twice.

I don't even want to work out with other people anymore. It takes too long.

Do you ever take cheat days?

I have certain meals that would be considered cheat meals, but I usually plan them out so that they fit into my calorie budget. The only time I feel like I cheat is if I go out for drinks, which I try to avoid most of the time, but those days can definitely rack up a high calorie count since I do go all out when it actually happens.

I try to fast but find it very difficult. Lately I have been bringing to work a bag of carrots that I will eat around 9:30am - 10:30am. This will usually hold me over until lunch time. Is this appropriate behavior if I'm looking to lose weight or do I just need to cut food out completely before lunch?

Currently I'm 6'3" 240lbs. I want to lose 40lbs.

Really, REALLY great work OP. Glad you're reaping the benefits of your dedication.

I haven't tried IF, but seeing results like this sure does make me interested in doing it. Aside from my hard boiled egg and a V8 for breakfast (religiously), my calories all get consumed between noon(ish) and 8 or 9. Some trimming is required.

I just need to slow the FUCK down during the evening, but I've done that before. Remembering discipline. Oy.

Spasm

I try to fast but find it very difficult. Lately I have been bringing to work a bag of carrots that I will eat around 9:30am - 10:30am. This will usually hold me over until lunch time. Is this appropriate behavior if I'm looking to lose weight or do I just need to cut food out completely before lunch?

Currently I'm 6'3" 240lbs. I want to lose 40lbs.
In IF, the timing is totally up to you and whatever works best for your schedule. Just make sure all your daily calories fit inside an 8 hour window. The other 16 hours are water only. There's variations on 16/8. I have no trouble doing 17/7.

I got used to it pretty quick, and sticking to it really helped me with my biggest problem... Constant snacking.

In IF, the timing is totally up to you and whatever works best for your schedule. Just make sure all your daily calories fit inside an 8 hour window. The other 16 hours are water only. There's variations on 16/8. I have no trouble doing 17/7.

I got used to it pretty quick, and sticking to it really helped me with my biggest problem... Constant snacking.

That's why I'm going to start doing IF.
My main problem isn't eating unhealthy, it's just eating too much.

So giving myself a hard window will be a good way to cut out late snacking and all that.

I'm still having tea / black coffee during my IF periods though. But I need to stick to it for more than a couple weeks to really get it going.

Top Bottom