• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fraternity Suspended over notebook detailing rape and lynching

Status
Not open for further replies.
#notallfrats.

Still never heard a compelling argument for building a club based on peer pressure that didnt invole the convenience of mild corruption in later life. Frats could go away forever tomorrow with zero ill effects.

Point of going to college is to grow up, not revert.
uMM BUT THEY DO CHARITY???????????

Skittles

What is he hell is up with these frats? I refuse to accept the boys will be boys defense.
It's quite easy to see why some frats are awful.
Sometimes there is pressure to recruit from headquarters
Some of the people get lazy when recruiting and don't care if the person has good character or not
Person gets in due to needing numbers to stay open
New person recruits people like him(other shitty people)
Eventually the people go alumni or leave
These new people take over as majority and that's how we land up here.

The Lamp

#notallfrats.

Still never heard a compelling argument for building a club based on peer pressure that didnt invole the convenience of mild corruption in later life. Frats could go away forever tomorrow with zero ill effects.

Point of going to college is to grow up, not revert.

I was a part of a Christian frat. All we did was do philanthropy, throw fundraisers for a worldwide charity, do community service and hang out at each others house and go on retreats once a semester. We don't haze, and we're non-selective, and we have 100 members on campus. My frat helped me get my job and my other academic opportunities and I got to learn a lot about leadership and serving others. Sometimes we do events with other sororities like a yearly dance competition and an occasional mixer, but they're not like those wild frat parties with alcohol and drugs and sex. They're usually an activity like a date party or broomball or a sport or a concert or something.

So yeah, sorry you have a narrow perception and experience of frats.

So yeah, not all frats.

I'm aware that mine is not a common example, but the point stands that it's silly to throw everyone under a certain label (frat) under the bus because of some hideous, unaccountable actions going on by a few. It's irrational.

There are many good frat and sorority chapters out there, particularly at my school, that are a positive support system for its members and the community.

A frat may not be for you, but for some people it offers an accessible community that is especially helpful when you start at a new college and don't know many people.

I'm a chemical engineer. If it weren't for my frat I wouldn't have had a fraction of the social network I do today. All my classmates were much too busy to be my source of close friends. My closest friends became those I grew to know in my frat.

bengraven

It's just booooys letting off steeeeam. C'moooooon.

They'll grow up to be just fine. Your average white Christian misogynist racists and those kinds of guys don't hurt nobody no how.

I just don't understand. Those of us in predominately black frats don't even think about white frats, nor do we plot on white people. So why do we take up so much of their mind share? It's so weird.

An "us and them" bro-douchebag community. . . what could possibly go wrong?

Being racist and a rapist seem to be real easy in those things.

Fratbro culture is disgusting. But #NotAllFrats right?

I don't think anyone who's reasonable will deny that a bad culture exists with the realm of Greek Life.

Racism, hazing, misogyny, sexual assault, etc.

The whole NotAllFrats thing doesn't really help, though. Because this is difficult issue for many of us who were members of greek life.

I don't try to pretend that we are some great charitable organization. Yes, we raise a pretty decent amount of money. But that's definitely somewhat of a front.

We get together because we share common interests and have a unique bond.

Our fraternity would help any overly drunk person get a ride home. We were always accommodating to friends of brothers.
We don't do drugs at our parties. We don't roofie people. We like to have a good time.

So when we see this bad behavior, we condemn it.

KingK

I don't think anyone who's reasonable will deny that a bad culture exists with the realm of Greek Life.

Racism, hazing, misogyny, sexual assault, etc.

The whole NotAllFrats thing doesn't really help, though. Because this is difficult issue for many of us who were members of greek life.

I don't try to pretend that we are some great charitable organization. Yes, we raise a pretty decent amount of money. But that's definitely somewhat of a front.

We get together because we share common interests and have a unique bond.

Our fraternity would help any overly drunk person get a ride home. We were always accommodating to friends of brothers.
We don't do drugs at our parties. We don't roofie people. We like to have a good time.

So when we see this bad behavior, we condemn it.
The problem is that, much like with police, the "good frat bros" don't seem to ever report their own. I really think you're underestimating the amount of rape that goes on during the weekend at most frats. There's a culture of silence regarding these abuses and they only ever come to light when an outside force blows the whistle.

The difference is that police are necessary for a functioning society, whereas we could get rid of frats without any negative consequences. All of the positives I've seen listed about frats could be accomplished without their existence.

Two Words

Not all frats are bad. The abstract of a class is fundamentally flawed because it too heavily relies on teens to make adult decisions with very little supervision.

I wonder how many of them came into the frat with these sentiments, as opposed to people who might have not known much about interacting with minorities at first but became heavily influenced by older members.

I'd say probably all came into college like that. In many parts of the country these kinds of antics are completely acceptable, even in much younger kids. And we are talking about Oklahoma, which I believe has the distinction of sitting highly in the rankings of most racist places in the country. There's a bunch of towns in that state where some kids singing that song could get the public singing along with them. Some of the kids that end up at OU grow up in these towns and continue this behavior into college, where, among a huge population of students, they feel pretty safe doing stuff like this. I mean, when they're not uploading it to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom