• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport will release without Spectator Mode, Racing with A.I. in Featured Multiplayer and Splitscreen

Ozriel

M$FT
That's Steam though. Steam is not Xbox. Starfield was always going to do well on PC, all Bethesda games do. It's performance on Xbox that's in doubt.

Also none of that means Starfield will run great though since it actually supports native 4K and 60 FPS on PC (also probably a "creative choice"), I guess you can just brute force past any unoptimized performance on that platform.

You: “I feel for Hines and Todd Howard. Looks like there’s not much confidence in Starfield”

Also you: “Ah, the PC release doesn’t count. Everyone knows the PC version ain’t Starfield. Only the Xbox version”

Can you try for consistency for once?

Are you OK?

ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

Is Turn 10?

The vast majority of the time I’ve ever used the ‘moving goalposts’ gif, it’s been in response to one of your posts 😂

We’ve pivoted from “no games from Microsoft Studios” to “Forza doesn’t move the needle so it doesn’t count”

You know that a racing sim isn't going to do much for any system on its own. If GT7 were the only 1P release for PS5 last year, the same thing would have been said.

It's just not the blockbuster genre it used to be.

It looks better than GT7, most game do in wet weather IMO. Though it can be argued that GT7 doesn't look gamey.

But it amazes me that DC was way ahead of it times and still racing games are struggling to beat it:

Well Driveclub was locked to 30 FPS. That allowed them to get away with visual effects that are just way harder to do when you have to support up to 4x that framerate with higher internal resolutions.

Even so, GT7 is nothing to sneeze at visually. And I don't think this new Forza is such a leap over it to justify not being cross-gen.

You: “I feel for Hines and Todd Howard. Looks like there’s not much confidence in Starfield”

Also you: “Ah, the PC release doesn’t count. Everyone knows the PC version ain’t Starfield. Only the Xbox version”

Can you try for consistency for once?

Hey just tell Pete Hines his opinions in the leaked emails and public interview were wrong. They definitely wanted Starfield as a true multiplat release, they wanted something that could be used to push big B2P sales. And now they can't get it.

PC alone won't be able to make up for the lost sales for skipping PS5 and that's just facts. Xbox won't be able to make up for those, too. Remains to be seen if Game Pass subscriptions can do it, or grow in sub count to do so.

And I want the game to do well, btw. Just being realistic on aspects pertaining to it, that's all.

Riky

$MSFT
It’s going to really shock you when you see the day one concurrents on Steam 😀

Second highest selling paid title on Steam, 3 weeks from release. Consistently #1 in global wishlists since Hogwarts Legacy release. duration in top 10 list during preorder phase comparing well vs Elden Ring and Hogwarts Legacy.

I think your concern is misplaced.

Not to mention FH5 has gone past 32 million players, being more of a SIM I doubt this will have that sort of appeal but it will end up with millions of players.

What a complete shitshow. An utter embarrassment. Unbelievable.

Really makes you realize how desperately Microsoft needed to acquire Zenimax; without them they'd of had nothing for 2022 and 2023 outside of Pentiment. I know there are people who like that game but, it can't carry anything for two months, let alone two years.

Now I'm even more concerned about the state of Starfield as we near its launch in less than a month...
I feel like if more xbox fans had the mentality that you did this generation they could actually hold MS accountable and some long overdue change could take place.

squarealex

Focus competitive "make sense".. this is maybe why GT Sport and GT7 are globally a succes for long term outside the name GT.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Well, they sure can't blame XSS for the lack of split-screen. And every new video is actually very light on info about wheel support and physics model (those 360hz is a nice marketing bs in this context). I wanna know about the weather radar, about the dynamics of a liquid on track, more about hot it will affect me when thing will star to dry out. GT7, for a cross-gen simcade, has a terrific weather-to-physics systems and it will be interesting to compare the two.

On thing I'm really interested in FM graphics tho, how many truly new car models are there. Because some cars from Horizon 5 are still slightly upscaled FM4 models, sheesh. And 360 degrees cockpit view maybe?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Well, this isn't good. I actually like using spectator mode, and unlike a dnd game, splitscreen is actually quite important for a racing game, many people like to race each other.
That singleplayer better be fucking bomb, to make up for all this.

Last edited:
What a complete shitshow. An utter embarrassment. Unbelievable.

Really makes you realize how desperately Microsoft needed to acquire Zenimax; without them they'd of had nothing for 2022 and 2023 outside of Pentiment. I know there are people who like that game but, it can't carry anything for two months, let alone two years.

Now I'm even more concerned about the state of Starfield as we near its launch in less than a month...

It'll be a shit show. Btw where the fuck is Redfall's 60 fps mode? Is MS weasling out of that?

Ozriel

M$FT
Hey just tell Pete Hines his opinions in the leaked emails and public interview were wrong. They definitely wanted Starfield as a true multiplat release, they wanted something that could be used to push big B2P sales. And now they can't get it.

Nothing in that mail suggests Hines fought to make Starfield multiplatform post acquisition. The man only asked for clarity in messaging.
They’re on course to sell millions of copies of their game, and have a lot more players via Gamepass. They got MS to pick the bill for a one year delay for Starfield. I think they’re perfectly fine.

PC alone won't be able to make up for the lost sales for skipping PS5 and that's just facts. Xbox won't be able to make up for those, too. Remains to be seen if Game Pass subscriptions can do it, or grow in sub count to do so.

Congrats. You’ve just learnt about how exclusivity inherently limits sales.

I feel like if more xbox fans had the mentality that you did this generation they could actually hold MS accountable and some long overdue change could take place.

What’s there to hold Turn 10 ‘accountable’ for, in this case?
They’re launching a much improved, next gen Forza title with new features and revamped multiplayer. Where’s the sense in going into a rage because they’ve chosen to launch without Splitscreen?

The game also doesn’t have micro transactions. You all going to start complaining about that too?

In all seriousness, this game is addressing every issue I had with Forza 7. Focus on Motorsport, massive physics overhaul, and the multiplayer looks fantastic. Multiplayer will have spec and non-spec options, full race format with practice/qualifying/race, in race penalty system, separate skill/safety ratings to drive matchmaking, tire/fuel/pit strategies and physics, and very thorough custom multiplayer options.

Are the absence of split screen and AI in multiplayer anywhere near as important as those things?

Ozriel

M$FT
It'll be a shit show. Btw where the fuck is Redfall's 60 fps mode? Is MS weasling out of that?

You expected Turn 10 to use today’s Forza Monthly to talk about Arkane’s Redfall?

Well, this isn't good. I actually like using spectator mode,

IIRC, Spectator mode remains in the game at launch, just not in this new ‘Featured Multiplayer’ mode.

unlike a dnd game, splitscreen is actually quite important for a racing game, many people like to race each other.

You think?
Forza Horizon is arguably the most popular racing series now (excluding Mario Kart, of course) and doesn’t have splitscreen. Hasn’t hampered sales and reception.

Wouldn't playing split screen indicate that you do indeed have friends and are not a hermit?
If you live in a bum fuck village without an internet connection and playing with fellow villagers then sure.

Besides most of my online friends are actually.also people I know in real life and have visited physicial in past. Some of them are near, others are cross country or the other side of the world.

The only games worth playing locally is something like Smash Bros or any fighting game, because it's a much more fun experience that way. Racing games via split screen just seems uncesseary and a waste of development time and resources.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

Were these promised at launch?

Or are these features they are wanting to bring but won't make it in at launch because, post launch features are a thing. I'm not sure why these features being legacy has anything to with current when you're introducing new concepts and features that legacy titles didn't have, or do we expect that every feature from a game prior make it into the launch release?

Fredrik

All this noise about split screen?
Is it a sim racer or something I’m supposed to play with my kids?
I just want to know if the PC version will have a VR mode.

You think?
Forza Horizon is arguably the most popular racing series now (excluding Mario Kart, of course) and doesn’t have splitscreen. Hasn’t hampered sales and reception.

No, child. That still belongs to Gran Turismo (also excluding Mario Kart), but nice try.

Were these promised at launch?

Or are these features they are wanting to bring but won't make it in at launch because, post launch features are a thing. I'm not sure why these features being legacy has anything to with current when you're introducing new concepts and features that legacy titles didn't have, or do we expect that every feature from a game prior make it into the launch release?

Given the previous entries had these features at launch, it's a regression for the sequel to suddenly not have them present Day 1. So yes, people were expecting basic things like split-screen, and yet they are missing. Just like how Halo players expected Forge Mode Day 1, since previous entries had it ready at launch, and yet it went missing for like a year.

And yes even games like TLOU2 are guilty of this, when the first game had Factions multiplayer and yet the sequel did not. It's seemingly being expanded upon into its own experience, but so far there's nothing to show for that three years later. Forza Motorsport is missing basic features and it's not like they're going to go above and beyond with the split-screen once that's finally added in.

Sets a bad precedent considering RedFall is still missing out on expected things like a 60 FPS option, months after release.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

No, child. That still belongs to Gran Turismo (also excluding Mario Kart), but nice try.

Given the previous entries had these features at launch, it's a regression for the sequel to suddenly not have them present Day 1. So yes, people were expecting basic things like split-screen, and yet they are missing. Just like how Halo players expected Forge Mode Day 1, since previous entries had it ready at launch, and yet it went missing for like a year.

And yes even games like TLOU2 are guilty of this, when the first game had Factions multiplayer and yet the sequel did not. It's seemingly being expanded upon into its own experience, but so far there's nothing to show for that three years later. Forza Motorsport is missing basic features and it's not like they're going to go above and beyond with the split-screen once that's finally added in.

Sets a bad precedent considering RedFall is still missing out on expected things like a 60 FPS option, months after release.

Sometimes things aren't basic anymore when you start piling on new features that shoulder the majority of the heft (and take precedence at launch) while you see if you can work in those older features. For a new game, I'd rather new features than regression items carried over where you have to wait for the new features.

GT7 had the worst user scores and impressions when it launched. I'm sure the Forza team can survive lack of split screen, bots, and spectating that were never formally promised to be there in the first place.

TrueGrime

And DF with a nice clip today about Series S and split screen

Obviously people know me to favor MS in this forum, but Series S parity is turning into a fucking parody and one of the dumbest decisions coming from the top in terms of Xbox.

I'm all for trying to make people jump into a new generation with a very cheap offering of a console, but when it's holding the stronger console back and you're not planning a pro-console, you're fucking devs and your customers over.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

The usual 2 "users" doing the usual Defence force/PR thing in every Xbox related thread.

Seriously, ain't you tired ? what do you get out of it ? Satisfaction ?

And Adam's apple was banned ? at least the guy was funny, he who shall not be named isn't though, it's friggin'pathetic at this point.

They're probably as tired as you should be passive aggressively calling people PR shills.

They're probably as tired as you should be passive aggressively calling people PR shills.
Passive aggressively ? I've literally called him out more than enough times.
Senjutsu Sage and others were banned for the same behaviour and yet a couple of you think you're above everyone else ?
Has it really gotten to the point where people can't discuss/criticize your beloved platform ? Are you serious ?

Also : Defence forcing another defence forcer...it's like inception the movie.

You're almost at Senjutsu Sage meme level at this point, both of you, grown ups fighting about...what exactly ? People calling out corporate propaganda and fanboyism , I mean, this shit writes itself.

Enjoy yourselves

Klayzer

Senjutsu Sage and others were banned for the same behaviour and yet a couple of you think you're above everyone else ?
Has it really gotten to the point where people can't discuss/criticize your beloved platform ? Are you serious ?

You're almost at Senjutsu Sage meme level at this point, both of you, grown ups fighting about...what exactly ? People calling out corporate propaganda and fanboyism , I mean, this shit writes itself.

Enjoy yourselves
vU8uXlQ.gif

TrueGrime

Enjoy yourselves

Using quotations around accusatory words is being passive aggressive, yes.

However, what do you think I should be banned for? My opinions on Forza software, legacy features, etc?

I'm glad I'm at the meme level for you currently, even as I just called out Microsoft practices in my post right above your hurt feelings of a post.

And thanks! I will continue to do so. :)

Ozzie666

For anyone who are big fans of Motorsport, is any of this really important or earth shattering to enjoying the game. I'm only a casual horizon player so I really don't know.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
IDGAF about spectator or splitscreen mode since i have never used them and didn't even know if the previous game had it. But one thing that bugs me is that they are showing Series X gameplay this late in development with no RT while all the pc version footage had them enabled. You just see a massive gap in visual fidelity between the 2. Just show us the maxed out pc version because i don't want to see a inferior "not final release footage" again this close before launch. The rain effects and rain shaders on track looked pretty good even on Series footage.

Outside that they have showed some serious improvements in serious racing which looks really promising. This game gonna be a great game for racing fans. I hope the FFB and car handling feels amazing and less filtered. Also nice to see the steering animation been improved and the wheel turns more than 90 degrees now. And the new track looks sick, lots of high speed corners and elevation.

Also some of you guys just stfu please, most of you are not gonna play the game. You are just console warring like all the console exclusive threads from both sides. None of you even talked about all the good shit they showed the last 2 months. You guys are only talking shit with points that the devs are openly telling that will not be there at launch which is the opposite what other devs do. If i would know 100% that you guys are genuine about the shit you complain i would say fair. But most of you never even used that shit, like i bet its not more than 2% of the players that use it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I didn't even know splitscreen was a thing that could be in, don't think PC had it in FM7, so no splitscreen at launch with it possibly existing down the line is actually better than I was expecting. But at the same time I have been really enjoying local mp with my son recently, some old Dirt games, Quake II, RE5, Helldivers etc so its a real shame its not in.
As long as AI is in regular multiplayer (featured multiplayer is the big events?) I don't see that as a bad thing.
Spectator mode I have no interest in at all - is that a big thing for people?

ZehDon

I'll be honest, I don't really use these features myself - I play predominately offline single player. It sucks for the people who do enjoy these features though; I hate seeing this kind of feature regression in series. Halo has been the worst for it, with every 343i title launching later, less polished, and with less content than the game before it. Hopefully what Turn 10 put out at launch justifies the slim down. For me, the one big ticket improvement they need is career progression - if they nail that, I missing features will be forgiven.

Del_X

No split screen is insane lol

Can’t imagine the S can’t do a version of split screen at a cut down resolution with half the frame rate but it is what it is.

If it is the S causing this I’m gonna go out in a limb and say feature parity gets dropped by Q1.

TrueGrime

No split screen is insane lol

Can’t imagine the S can’t do a version of split screen at a cut down resolution with half the frame rate but it is what it is.

If it is the S causing this I’m gonna go out in a limb and say feature parity gets dropped by Q1.

It needs to like fucking tomorrow at this point.

Sometimes things aren't basic anymore when you start piling on new features that shoulder the majority of the heft (and take precedence at launch) while you see if you can work in those older features. For a new game, I'd rather new features than regression items carried over where you have to wait for the new features.

GT7 had the worst user scores and impressions when it launched. I'm sure the Forza team can survive lack of split screen, bots, and spectating that were never formally promised to be there in the first place.

If having 48x the tire physics of the previous game doesn't create a perceptible increase in the game's quality among the majority of the customer base, and doesn't do anything more than just going for say 24x the tire physics, when the latter could have also allowed split-screen or Spectator Mode at launch, then maybe the team made a bad choice.

Because while some people ITT are saying they don't use those modes, the thing is, previous games had them from jump, and they create a much more obvious, immediate perception of additional content and features than marginal benefits in tire physics being 48x vs 24x.

GT7 user scores on MetaCritic were partly due to console warriors review-bombing the game. A bit of it was over always-online even for the SP mode which is still a silly requirement, but hey at least the SP campaign is still there. Some of the pricing for a few of the cars was absolutely ridiculous, but you could still earn those cars through regular play of the game. GT7 wasn't a case of missing features/modes vs previous entries.

It’s missing basic features? Which ones?

Split-screen. Spectator Mode. Those are two right there. Forza's direct rival has those features and had them from launch. Whether you use them a ton or not yourself isn't the point. They still have an audience, and Turn 10 just adding the features in months or up to a year later shouldn't warrant some big celebration of an accomplishment.

GaaS should be about still bringing players content-rich releases like other entries, and using the GaaS model to bring in NEW features and content to the franchise regularly over time to keep engagement and add more to the world of the IP.

I didn't even know splitscreen was a thing that could be in, don't think PC had it in FM7, so no splitscreen at launch with it possibly existing down the line is actually better than I was expecting. But at the same time I have been really enjoying local mp with my son recently, some old Dirt games, Quake II, RE5, Helldivers etc so its a real shame its not in.
As long as AI is in regular multiplayer (featured multiplayer is the big events?) I don't see that as a bad thing.
Spectator mode I have no interest in at all - is that a big thing for people?

Spectator Mode adds to the feeling of watching a racing broadcast, and can be helpful seeing how the AI handles lines on a track in certain race event types. You can for example, determine which car you'd like to take to the course as your best option based on information you can pick up on in Spectator Mode. Also some people just like to kick back and watch a racing event vs. compete in it directly themselves.

I always liked the introduction of the mode back from GT3's B-Spec, and there's probably a lot that can still be done to expand on it and make it even better. That goes for both Forza and GT. However if a game like Forza isn't going to even bother, that's less incentive (potentially) for GT to try pushing ahead with innovating with that type of mode/feature.

Topher

Gold Member
And DF with a nice clip today about Series S and split screen

I haven't been one to trash the Series S. I was actually an early buyer of the console and my only complaint was the storage. But now, I think we have evidence over and again that the Series S is, in fact, a major mistake for Xbox. Die-hards and shills will do what they do, but they are easily dismissed in the face of evidence time and time again.

The Series S was a mistake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom