• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite on PlayStation doesn't have cross-platform play with other consoles because they are worse, explains Sony boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranXico

i dont care about crossplay, everyone i know has a ps4.
but that's just bad PR, man. How could you even say it like that lol
They truly suck at PR, don't they?
This does make them more transparent than talented liars, which lets people see through the BS more easily. But it is funny.

of course not, because if it was your "Sony is anti consumer" rhetoric would look even more patheticly hollow than it does now.

It seems as if "actual players" don't give a damn about cross play.

Well it seems Sony talking about how they offer it on PC and other devices is aimed at its non- players then and the only thing hollow are their fake promises to do soemthing about locking Fortnite accounts. However with so many of its fans standing up for them with fire extinguishers in mass supply the ripple effect will continue to be minimum. If Sony is smart they will clean up their act when the PS5 launches but they have built up a loyal following that can get them through almost anything. You don't even know what you are arguing against because having crossplay hurts none of you. Developers think gamers care and that is reason enough.

It must be contageous since we also heard it was about protecting the children.

Last edited:

Darius87

This CCP is so overblown people acting like it's some big thing or it's gonna hurt sony somehow or theyr future, nothing gonna happen, this is thread for haters picking on sony.

mad597

Banned
It so funny how Sony fans just cant deal with anyone being critical of their best buddy Sony.

All the deflection and whataboutism is hysterical and completely transparent.

Its like you all get notes from each other on what to say and how to deflect things when anyone dare to be critical of Sony.

Much like Fox News and Trump supporters blaming HRC and Obama for things Trump did himself. Sony fans look like this now.

Last edited:
This CCP is so overblown people acting like it's some big thing or it's gonna hurt sony somehow or theyr future, nothing gonna happen, this is thread for haters picking on sony.

awww, poor Sony.

Like I said before how does enabling crossplay hurt you at all? Is it really impossible for you to release yourself from being a shareholder and just act like a consumer because this attitude of not getting along with others is what's the most disturbing. It's a friggen hobby that is supposed to be enjoyed, not a competion.

Darius87

Like I said before how does enabling crossplay hurt you at all?
no it doesn't hurt but neither does help from consumer standpoint.
Is it really impossible for you to release yourself from being a shareholder and just act like a consumer because this attitude of not getting along with others is what's the most disturbing.
So i have no choice but get along with xbox players?
It's a friggen hobby that is supposed to be enjoyed, not a competion.
who said i'm not enjoying?
awww, poor Sony.
now i get it sony must done some bad things to you :pie_fearful:, your additute toward it's is nothing but negative trash on every thread, must be pretty bad isn't?

no it doesn't hurt but neither does help from consumer standpoint.

So i have no choice but get along with xbox players?

who said i'm not enjoying?

now i get it sony must done some bad things to you :pie_fearful:, your additute toward it's is nothing but negative trash on every thread, must be pretty bad isn't?

Sony must have done some bad things to me yet you can't get along with Xbox players? This is like talking to a child. It helps you just as much as it helps you they offer PC mobile and tablet crossplay. Can you not get along with them either?

Alebrije

Arrogant Sony is always better than Arrogant MS, but this topic has been managed by Sony very bad. They should just say the true.

I'm just curious about how MS (or Nintendo, or anybody else in this sort of situation) would "profit" from Sony’s larger player base. If PS4 players were allowed to have crossplay, they would still be spending money for add-ons in Sony’s store, same for MS players/Nintendo players, etc. And the game is populated across all platforms to the point where I imagine one can't tell the difference between multiple millions of people playing. Just seems like a no-brainer to allow it to me.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Arrogant Sony is always better than Arrogant MS, but this topic has been managed by Sony very bad. They should just say the true.

Why compare? Is it a competition? Arrogance on both sites are shit and toxic for gamers.

Fox Mulder

Sony has drawn this out into a bad PR thing.

They should just allow crossplay, but require a subscription for F2P games too like good guy MS does.

Darius87

Sony must have done some bad things to me yet you can't get along with Xbox players? This is like talking to a child. It helps you just as much as it helps you they offer PC mobile and tablet crossplay. Can you not get along with them either?
I can but why i should? i have more then enough PS4 friends on PSN. sony and ms have never been partners from ps2 xbox era to now, and now you enforcing sony to do CCP with ms do you get that they are in same market for consoles? sony and ms will never get along because of that.

Nymphae

Banned
NEWSFLASH! PS4 has the most Crossplay games by a country mile, the topic on which this whole thread is based....When I look at how many games are CP on PS4 vs XBOX or Nintendo, the number of CP games on PS dwarfs them both combined.

I'm not really following this situation closely because I personally don't care about CP in the slightest, but people's outrage at something I consider completely ignorable has me interested.

So everyone is calling Sony evil here for not offering crossplay, while ignoring that fact that they offer the most crossplay?

Journey

Banned
giphy.gif

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
Microsoft can't even keep its Live servers up as it is. Could they even handle more traffic communicating with PS4 Fornite players?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Sony should unlink their Fortnite DLC stuff - that is hard to defend. Crossplay is a different beast. Having setup Switch Minecraft with the PC is all I need to know about this kludgey solution. With three separate and different networks, getting them to work together is easier said than done. Things like voice, messages, different rules, different naming, etc. Throwing them into a server and having no communication is one solution, but a complete seamless experience is not trivial.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sony needs to be reminding everyone that Fortnite is free to play on their system and doesn't require PS Plus subscription.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm not really following this situation closely because I personally don't care about CP in the slightest, but people's outrage at something I consider completely ignorable has me interested.

So everyone is calling Sony evil here for not offering crossplay, while ignoring that fact that they offer the most crossplay?
And, most importantly, ignoring the fact that Fortnite does not require a PS Plus subscription, which is a huge advantage over MS.

thelastword

Banned

Yeah, pretty succint......It's a bizarre world I tell you. Maybe that world is an Xbonecian dystopia though.....:)

I can but why i should? i have more then enough PS4 friends on PSN. sony and ms have never been partners from ps2 xbox era to now, and now you enforcing sony to do CCP with ms do you get that they are in same market for consoles? sony and ms will never get along because of that.

It's impossible for you to give a straight answer is it? What does it matter to you if you are playing with PC or Xbox or Switch players? Are you really that juveline to think Xbox gamers are the enemy just because Sony thinks they are direct competitors? This is why like I said, it's like debating with a child anyone who cannot unhinge themselves from how the companies compete to how we as gamers should be just that, gamers.

Sony needs to be reminding everyone that Fortnite is free to play on their system and doesn't require PS Plus subscription.

You forgot to add, WHILE BLOCKING SWITCH users. Which for months now has also been free to play.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You forgot to add, WHILE BLOCKING SWITCH users. Which for months now has also been free to play.

Sony’s blocking Switch users?!! Damn I had no idea Nintendo was allowing Sony to tell Switch players what they can and can’t do.

I was gonna buy a Switch but now that I know that Sony is gonna block me from playing Fortnite on that Switch I’m officially done with Sony.

GAF how did you guys miss this? Mr. Cyphre has uncovered some serious shit!

Sony’s blocking Switch users?!! Damn I had no idea Nintendo was allowing Sony to tell Switch players what they can and can’t do.

I was gonna buy a Switch but now that I know that Sony is gonna block me from playing Fortnite on that Switch I’m officially done with Sony.

GAF how did you guys miss this? Mr. Cyphre has uncovered some serious shit!

I think you forgot what thread you're in pal.

Last edited:

EDMIX

LOL you know why? Cause "i dont care about crossplay, everyone i know has a ps4." ...

So if they see this isn't stopping most from getting a PS4 and most don't really care, they have little reason to change their stance, especially if most of their install base doesn't even care about this fake issue.

Consider they have the most cross play games in the first place....

I don't recall that being a HUGE reason to buy a PS4 at launch so.......

LOL you know why? Cause "i dont care about crossplay, everyone i know has a ps4." ...

So if they see this isn't stopping most from getting a PS4 and most don't really care, they have little reason to change their stance, especially if most of their install base doesn't even care about this fake issue.

Consider they have the most cross play games in the first place....

I don't recall that being a HUGE reason to buy a PS4 at launch so.......

You play all of your multiplat games on your PC though, ain't that right, or just for Xbox console exclusives? Thankfully Sony allows it with PC but you don't care about crossplay so....

Last edited:

EDMIX

This.

Sony should unlink their Fortnite DLC stuff - that is hard to defend. Crossplay is a different beast. Having setup Switch Minecraft with the PC is all I need to know about this kludgey solution. With three separate and different networks, getting them to work together is easier said than done. Things like voice, messages, different rules, different naming, etc. Throwing them into a server and having no communication is one solution, but a complete seamless experience is not trivial.

Agree about the account lock thing--it's ridiculous and should be fixed.

Disagree about cross-console play, at least when it comes to Fortnite. My example again is my son and his friends. They're a bunch of 11 yr olds and play together all of the time with no problems. All I had to do was set up my son's Epic account and that was it.

I'm just curious about how MS (or Nintendo, or anybody else in this sort of situation) would "profit" from Sony’s larger player base. If PS4 players were allowed to have crossplay, they would still be spending money for add-ons in Sony’s store, same for MS players/Nintendo players, etc. And the game is populated across all platforms to the point where I imagine one can't tell the difference between multiple millions of people playing. Just seems like a no-brainer to allow it to me.

I realize I waited too late to ask this since this thread has turned into garbage for the most part but I'm still curious about how this would somehow lose money for Sony.

oagboghi2

awww, poor Sony.

Like I said before how does enabling crossplay hurt you at all? Is it really impossible for you to release yourself from being a shareholder and just act like a consumer because this attitude of not getting along with others is what's the most disturbing. It's a friggen hobby that is supposed to be enjoyed, not a competion.
This is to much coming from the biggest fanboy in this thread, and that is is saying a lot.

Does crossplay hurt me? No. Do I want it? ....not really. I don't care, and I'm not alone in that sentiment. Your faux outrage for "gamers" is transparent as hell

This is to much coming from the biggest fanboy in this thread, and that is is saying a lot.

Does crossplay hurt me? No. Do I want it? ....not really. I don't care, and I'm not alone in that sentiment. Your faux outrage for "gamers" is transparent as hell

Ahh yes, call me out for having no issues who I play with online while ignoring kids who feel like they will be 'forced' to play with Xbox gamers as though that's the worst thing ever. I don't think you have a clue what a fanboy really is but you have to hand it to Sony for the culture they have created.

oagboghi2

Ahh yes, call me out for having no issues who I play with online while ignoring kids who feel like they will be 'forced' to play with Xbox gamers as though that's the worst thing ever. I don't think you have a clue what a fanboy really is but you have to hand it to Sony for the culture they have created.
You seem to have a hell of an issue with people deciding they aren't going to cry the same tears you are over this fake "controversy". Why do you care so much? Move on...but you won't. Because this is all Xbox fans have left.

Like I said, You're faux outrage is transparent as hell.

You seem to have a hell of an issue with people deciding they aren't going to cry the same tears you are over this fake "controversy". Why do you care so much? Move on...but you won't. Because this is all Xbox fans have left.

Like I said, You're faux outrage is transparent as hell.

How ironic for you to tell me to move on while letting everyone know you don't care about the issue. You have a problem with me too bad pal.

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member
It is quite clear by the last several posts in this thread that there are strongly held and differing opinions.

Please move along and return to topic from the current back and forth! :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Thank you! :pie_mansinger: :hidden_Þ:

It is quite clear by the last several posts in this thread that there are strongly held and differing opinions.

Please move along and return to topic from the current back and forth! :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Thank you! :pie_mansinger::hidden_Þ:

No problem.

Back to the OP,

"On cross-platform, our way of thinking is always that PlayStation is the best place to play. Fortnite, I believe, partnered with PlayStation 4 is the best experience for users, that's our belief," he said.

Sure. It's like saying only our exclusives can be done on our hardware. If you give no other option how can one argue against it?

"But actually, we already opened some games as cross-platform with PC and some others, so we decide based on what is the best user experience. That is our way of thinking for cross-platform."

Here's the real rub. First he says it's our belief that Fortnite on the PS4 is the best expereince for our users, then goes on to say we decide what's the best solution to offer crossplay with. How can he say that with a straight face that playing with Mobile and PC and tablets is the preferred way to play with crossplay than other consoles like the Xbox and Switch? Yes we have some rabid fans already projecting their distate for Sony's direct competitor, the Xbox, but that has nothing to do with online match play expereinces and ALL to do with treating each as their arch nemesis.

Last edited:
I realize I waited too late to ask this since this thread has turned into garbage for the most part but I'm still curious about how this would somehow lose money for Sony.

An Xbox one or Switch only gamer may get tempted to buy a PS4 to play with PS4 friends when cross play is not available. With cross play this temptation is much less likely to happen.

Darius87

It's impossible for you to give a straight answer is it? What does it matter to you if you are playing with PC or Xbox or Switch players?
Like i said before in comment #296 it doesn't matter to me, is that straight enough answer to you?
Are you really that juveline to think Xbox gamers are the enemy just because Sony thinks they are direct competitors? This is why like I said, it's like debating with a child anyone who cannot unhinge themselves from how the companies compete to how we as gamers should be just that, gamers.
can you read? or you just that stupid because you're misinterpretating me. it's the companies that don't get along that's what i said.

bitbydeath

These threads always just come off as userbase begging to me.

Sony should just front up and say they don’t want to give MS an inch.

Last edited:

ShadowhunterrNL

Neo Member
I am always for Cross-platform play. Ever since I played FFXI on the 360 years ago. Specialy for older third party games or small indie games, it will give a big boost in long terms.

But I can understand Sony in locking down accounts. Those lovely v-bucks money.... I don't mind. My main Fortnite console wil be the Switch anyway. The next test will be the release of Warframe for the Switch.

But ever since a few Sony heads left or are more in silence like Yoshida. It's getting back to arrogant Sony. People like Jim Ryan are not the people you want in high spots. Many European PS players know what I mean witht that. Even if it's called SCEE, most stuff is 99% of the time UK only.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Ill bite. How can Sony offer the most cross play when they are the only one blocking a platform?

mad597

Banned

It doesnt make sense sony fans just throw out the idea its a good busniess decision for Sony without actually explaining how this profits Sony.
Sonys platform is the only one unable to cross play with other consoles. Sony actively has the worst version of the most popular MP games this gen. Not sure how doing this makes Sony money.

FranXico

But ever since a few Sony heads left or are more in silence like Yoshida. It's getting back to arrogant Sony. People like Jim Ryan are not the people you want in high spots. Many European PS players know what I mean witht that. Even if it's called SCEE, most stuff is 99% of the time UK only.

Amen, certainly the bold. I can't stand that guy.

It's impossible for you to give a straight answer is it?
Is this irony?

Any traction on this? Genuinely interested. Could be significant:
Ah, we're going through this again. Then allow me to ask the same question that I've yet to ever get a direct answer to and one that is supported by empirical evidence, as opposed to supposition:

After 180+ games with cross play, and that cross-play has been around since the Dreamcast, where is the market analysis of its commercial value, value specifically attributed to the presence of cross-play?

I'm very interested in seeing this empirical data. If you have it, please share it. Thanks.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Cross platform play is soon to become the norm. Players want it and Devs want it.

I hope we can get voice chat across platforms that would be the holy grail. Why do i want this? Because i have friends who play on PC ( forza horizon worked great as did rocket league and gears) but also friends who play on playstation and switch.

All i really want is to play with all my friends who also play the same games. This is the future and there will be no turning back Sony will back down and allow it and this will all be seen as a ridiculous argument. If anyone wanted to leverage their monopoly it would be Apple and Android who have far more players than Sony .. and they allow it as does every platform holder other than Sony.

The future is almost here.

Like i said before in comment #296 it doesn't matter to me, is that straight enough answer to you?

can you read? or you just that stupid because you're misinterpretating me. it's the companies that don't get along that's what i said.

No, you said why should I be forced to play with Xbox players as though it actually matters. Besides, I think some or all the games lett you choose, Rocket League for example does. But silly me for being stupid into thinking some actually see others as gamer X and gamer Y instead of just another player to play with. I totally forgot this culture Sony seems to be promoting can have an impact on its userbase whom also feel like we should treat others as competitors.

These threads always just come off as userbase begging to me.

Sony should just front up and say they don’t want to give MS an inch.

Really? So when Todd Howard says he'd like it then it's userbase begging, o when one of the most successful games out there wants Fortnite to simply work on all platforms and make it easy to just take your account from platform to platform is begging. What a strange view you have there on something as so simple as just a larger pool of players and less hassle for anyone.

Is this irony?

Any traction on this? Genuinely interested. Could be significant:

Irony for you maybe who I have asked repeatedly something and finally just gave up. I have no problems with crossplay or third party games coming to any platform, how about you? As for traction no, Sony will just bury this like they already have for over 2 years now. Shawn Layden said they will come up with a solution, I guess this is it. We have the best experience and we decide on whom we allow our players to play with but I guess if you collaborate with developers and make great games like Spiderman then they can do whatever they want and get away with it just as long as sales don't get impacted. Which they haven't. This whole business is run my money and BC and crossplay have not proven to be an issue but this is a game forum. A forum where it's users should be free to discuss why they don't like micro-transactions even though they too have proven to be successful.

thelastword

Banned
Please remain on topic and don't consistently have a very narrow, negative focus on MS please.
The future is almost here folks, CP is the future, everything MS does is the future, except giving gamers good games of course......Folk are now more interested in CP across XBOX, PS, ANDROID, NINTENDO, IOS, STEAM, WINDOWS STORE, LINUX.....because that's going to happen soonish ;) you heard...

So instead of XBOX fans lobbying for better quality games for the box which they purchased at $500.00 "both XBOX-ONE and X", they're on a crusade for something which will not happen this gen or next or next, something which has no traction apart from forums as evidenced by the NPD. Does MS or it's fans have a clue, look at Nintendo which MS is trying to lump up into (they're onboard folks)....Nintendo is already beating them regularly on the NPD, why? it's because of games MS, not CP..........

The future is almost here folks, CP is the future, everything MS does is the future, except giving gamers good games of course......Folk are now more interested in CP across XBOX, PS, ANDROID, NINTENDO, IOS, STEAM, WINDOWS STORE, LINUX.....because that's going to happen soonish ;) you heard...

So instead of XBOX fans lobbying for better quality games for the box which they purchased at $500.00 "both XBOX-ONE and X", they're on a crusade for something which will not happen this gen or next or next, something which has no traction apart from forums as evidenced by the NPD. Does MS or it's fans have a clue, look at Nintendo which MS is trying to lump up into (they're onboard folks)....Nintendo is already beating them regularly on the NPD, why? it's because of games MS, not CP..........

I guess in your fictional world nobody can do both. Sony apparently can no longer do BC and good games I guess is what you are saying and MS having 5 more 1st party teams were just created so they can beg Sony to allow those games to be crossplay. Yup, this is the depth of discussion we can expect from such a notorious member. Yet I'm the one accssed of being a fanboy.

Last edited:

NickFire

Sony is full of crap. I feel if you’re gonna deprive your customers of something at least be honest and say we want every penny for ourselves, or don’t say anything at all. This bullshit will be duly noted when next gen starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom