• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite on PlayStation doesn't have cross-platform play with other consoles because they are worse, explains Sony boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...xbox-switch-cross-platform-play-a8516081.html

Sony won't allow Fortnite players on PlayStation to play against their friends with other consoles – because those people are having inferior experiences.

The company might allow people to take part in cross-platform play on other titles, said the company's boss. But Fortnite on PlayStation will not get that privilege, he said.

And that's because the best experience is to play on PlayStation, he said. So allowing other people to play would be a compromise.

Speaking at the IFA technology show in Berlin, Sony chief executive Kenichiro Yoshida said he felt playing on the PlayStation 4 was the best experience for gamers and therefore should not be compromised.

"On cross-platform, our way of thinking is always that PlayStation is the best place to play. Fortnite, I believe, partnered with PlayStation 4 is the best experience for users, that's our belief," he said.

"But actually, we already opened some games as cross-platform with PC and some others, so we decide based on what is the best user experience. That is our way of thinking for cross-platform."

"I think competition is always good. Healthy, fair competition is always good for the industry and growth," he said.

"I think competition with Nintendo and Xbox is a healthy situation."

Dargor

Makes no sense, just say you don't want to and be done with it. This kind of comment will only bring unnecessary flak upon them.

Last edited:

klosos

Remember guys "playstation for the players" more anti consumer practices i see. But dont worry tho later on in this thread the sony dick riders will try to justify this with "i dont see the issue if u want to play with xbox friends buy a xbox" or some other angle to back there favourite console maker over the consumers.

Akuza89

I gather he's played fortnite on an Xbox one x and is having a bit of a paddy then? 🤔

But seriously, why is he being such a douche?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh come on, how many times has Phil Spencer said he believes that "Xbox is the best place to play" over the last few years?
Noone bats an eyelid when he says it, because its his standard marketing line. but of course in this case the narrative is that arrogant Sony is back.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Oh come on, how many times has Phil Spencer said he believes that "Xbox is the best place to play" over the last few years?
Noone bats an eyelid when he says it, because its his standard marketing line. but of course in this case the narrative is that arrogant Sony is back.
Um...

Phil says that he thinks that the best place to play is on the Xbox line of services, but them and Nintendo get along and share some of their online experiences.

Sony says the best place to play is on Playstation and fuck you play on Playstation.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Um...

Phil says that he thinks that the best place to play is on the Xbox line of services, but them and Nintendo get along and share some of their online experiences.
Sony says the best place to play is on Playstation and fuck you play on Playstation.

Made me giggle 😊

KOMANI

KOMANI
I have no problem with this, at all. I don’t see the necessity in cross play either. When a game’s online community is “dead”, then it makes sense for cross play, not for a game with 125 million players spread out across several platforms.

THE:MILKMAN

I personally am not affected these days with this policy but it does seem weird they are doubling down. They do have recent history of doing things the hardcore say they wouldn't do (No 4K Blu-Ray).

I would like for the gaming media to start asking Sony about their BC stance going forward as that will be the next controversy if that doesn't happen or is limited compared to the competition.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
XBX with the silky smooth XBL online experience is inferior? OK, sony just went full retard...

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
Yeah. It's a b.s. excuse, but he doesn't actually use the word inferior, and it's not exactly what he says (based on the quotes in the article.)

Last edited:
While i love my ps4...psn is a pile of shit when compared to live..so may technical and policy issues which prevent it being on par

Whitecrow

Banned
A company wants consumers to have reasons to buy their products. Wooow. Unbeliavable.

This is business, not charity. Well done from Sony to stay firm on its beliefs and decisions.

Last edited:
I have the exact same experience playing on PSN as I do XBL. Last gen XBL was superior for sure. But now, the experience is the same.

Sony, just allow your games to be cross play with PC and shut up. But your PSN experience isn’t beyond XBL.

Dr.brain64

Oh the drama... can't you gamers just buy it on something not playstation. If you can't then sony is right.

I side with sony on this one.

Kenpachii

Yet PC is the best platform. He should ban his own platform.

Dude is just a massive tool, the reason he allows PC to crossplay is because he needs the userbase.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Funny, my xbox live is usually a much more stable experience than ps+ dissconnecting randomly for hours at a time for me...

At this point its not even so much that i want crossplay, but ive spent like $40 on the game on the xbox version and it bugs the fuck out me i cant cross over my account but i can on the switch, a nintendo system of all things...

MayauMiao

The only way Sony will allow cross play is when PlayStation start to lose the market. Too bad that won't happen anytime soon.

Toe-Knee

XBX with the silky smooth XBL online experience is inferior? OK, sony just went full retard...

By best experience they mean biggest total player pool being ps4/pc+ mobile

And he isn't wrong on that you have the largest pool of players to play with.

Last edited:

Dvidus

"I think competition is always good. Healthy, fair competition is always good for the industry and growth," he said.

"I think competition with Nintendo and Xbox is a healthy situation."

I have no problem with this honesty. Just lay the cards out there; No fortnite cross-platform is a bussines decision. Making the most popular game right now enjoyable with a friend who has an Xbox One or switch? NOPE, get a PS4.

I'd assume PS4 and PC are the most played on platforms for fortnite (although I haven't seen any numbers, just assuming), so making platform choice irrelevant could be bad for bussines. Not saying I agree though. Also the amount of flak they're getting now is also not really good for bussines either. Will it get to Battlefront 2 heights though? I doubt it. The game is playable so why bother.

Ascend

It's the same story with Sony... They generally start out the generation well, and go down from there. It's the opposite of the Xbox, which generally starts badly, and becomes better over time...

Glad I never bought a PS4.

Södy

It's the same story with Sony... They generally start out the generation well, and go down from there. It's the opposite of the Xbox, which generally starts badly, and becomes better over time...

PS3 and XBOX 360 disagree.

I mean, he basically did a "That's bait" comment. This will only inflame things further.

I respectfully disagree owning both an X1X and PS4 Pro.

Zeusexy

Except the Xbox One X is vastly superior both in terms of hardware and online services to Ps4. I own a Ps4 pro and I regret buying it. To hell with sony's pr bullshit.

Vawn

Banned

Actually, its exactly the opposite. At least if we are talking about quality of games, which honestly, is all I really care about.

Best place for me. Healthy third party support along with the strongest first party output of the generation.

Keep that up with the PS5 at a good price and you win next gen too. Easy.

Except the Xbox One X is vastly superior both in terms of hardware and online services to Ps4. I own a Ps4 pro and I regret buying it. To hell with sony's pr bullshit.

How is the online services better? The game loads up and plays. I don’t see the difference.

I really don't understand their position because on one hand they are saying the PS4 is the best which likely refers to their large install base, but on the other hand if they say they offer it with PC and tablets and mobile is that suggesting those people don't prefer the PS4 then?

It's funny how fucked up things have gotten because just not long ago Shawn Layden said they will come up with a solution (about Sony blocking Fortnite accounts) that will both please its userbase and its shareholders. I guess this is the best they've got and just another bullshit response from protecting children to this in hopes it all goes away again. Nothing is going to change because the problem is two fold. One is they have such a following of fans who will support them no matter what they decide, no matter how much they charge for a game console and no matter how complicated they make the hardware for developers. The other is third party don't have the appetite to put real pressure on the subject. If I was them I would not allow PS4 to crossplay with any other device but still release it on it so that way you don't lose sales. This would either force Sony to react if their customers do in fact want the feature or just isolate them and have Sony continue to ignore it.

Actually, its exactly the opposite. At least if we are talking about quality of games, which honestly, is all I really care about.

And yet here you are.

Last edited:

FranXico

Best place for me. Healthy third party support along with the strongest first party output of the generation.

Keep that up with the PS5 at a good price and you win next gen too. Easy.
Crossplay versus Xbox is a nice to have for me. Would like to get that next gen, but if it isn't there, that's not a deal breaker.

BC, on the other hand...

Mokus

Isn't he repeating exactly Microsofts statement from the PS3\Xbox 360 era when Sony wanted cross-platform play?

THE:MILKMAN

Isn't he repeating exactly Microsofts statement from the PS3\Xbox 360 era when Sony wanted cross-platform play?

Pretty much....

I checked with Microsoft to be sure Rodberg wasn't maybe just mis-hearing them. Maybe Microsoft wanted to break the barrier too? Here's a Microsoft spokesperson saying "no," while promoting how awesome the Xbox 360's online service is: "Xbox Live delivers the best entertainment experience unmatched by anyone else, with 35 million actively engaged members. We have a high level of expectation for our game developers to ensure that all Live experiences remain top notch. Because we can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience on other consoles or gaming networks, we currently do not open our network to games that allow this cross-over capability."

https://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-the-playstation-3-wired-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You guys even play Fortnite? Its HUGE among 10-13 year olds. Wondering how much people want to play with fucking kids.

mad597

Banned
Seeing Sony fans defend this crap all over the internet in pretty much any crossplay related discussion is REALLY ridiculous and just show they are corporate shills that will defend anything sony does, are they even gamers or just Sony fans and Sony just happens to make a Game console?

Let's go over the stupid Sony fan Talking points

1. Sony is Market leader so they don't have to do anything
* What kind of crap is this type of argument? This isn't a race where the market leader Wins a trophy and then gets to shit all over it's customers while their customers lavish praise on them. You dumbasses who thinks this ALLOW companies to step all over you, WTF is wrong with you?

2. MS did this before how come no one ever brings that up?
* MS denied a single MP game from crossplay almost 10 years ago at the height of Sonys Network security issues, And it IS brought up in every single one of these threads EACH and every time. Also shouldn't that be the goal where companies progress to make more consumer friendly decisions over time? MS changed to be more consumer friendly in this regard that is a GOOD thing not something to use an excuse so Sony can be anti consumer now.

3. It doesn't matter I don't care about this I'll buy Sony games anyway
* If you didn't care you wouldn't post and just cause YOU don't care doesn't mean others don't care about this issue. If you accept Sony's Anti consumer practices I don't want to hear you flip your shit when other game companies do anti consumer things.

4. MS would do/did the same thing when they are market leaders
* MS has never been a console market leader, last gen WII sold the most, Also MS has ALL new leaderships and have a completely different focus for their services. Office is on IOS/MAC/Android, MS services work across almost all devices and platforms. This is the direction from the CEO down this is not going to change anytime soon.

5. It's a business decision for Sony which I understand
* So are you a shareholder or a gamer? How is this good business for Sony? They are making versions of very popular games the WORST versions to play on, Minecraft is now regulated to an old isolated version of the game cause Sony won't opt into the "better together" version. Fortnite locks you out of using your account on Switch or Xbox while without tainting your account to Sony you can move that account anywhere else. Having the worst version of popular games and isolating PSN users is certainly not a wise business decision in todays gaming environment. Sony is actively making their platform less attractive to the current trends in gaming in the short temr and long term. This is not good business, Sony is being stupid and arrogant.

We can really cut to the chase on most of these arguments it is obvious what is going on. A certain subset of the gaming community are such Sonty fanboys that they are ok with whatever Sony does cause they care more about SONY'S best interest then their own or other gamers best interest. We can drop the charade

Last edited:

mad597

Banned

Phil never says things like that as an excuse to lock players out or practice anti consumer practices. Phil promotes his brand he doesn;t use what he thinks of his brand as an excuse to be anti consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom