• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken - Cinematic Trailer

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Explain why, becuase I don't agree at all.
Dragon's Dogma's world is generic(not necessarily bad) and the spell effects aren't as grandiose although the magic system is better then most. And Forspoken has plenty more spells.

Forspoken given it's basic setup is infinitely more appealing to me as it is reminiscent to The Neverending Story in setting.

DD is more tactical while I find Forspoken more fastpaced maybe brainless and heavily revolves around parkour and mobility as well as primarily being a Mage/Wizard based game as opposed to a DnD type of game with different classes to choose from.

They could easily do worse and do a 1 to 1 copy of Black Desert which I feel the detrimental effects you describe are much worse. No feedback, lack of stagger. Weightless attacks.

Then again I'm more then fine with floaty combat and shit enemy design as a proud advocate of most Musou games.

And if I can mindlessly travel around at breakneck speed smacking things around I'm a happy guy.

Based on what I've seen the gameplay looks fun and I can't wait to try it out myself. They were not kind enough to place a demo out for PC.

I do enjoy big damage numbers.

I don't think the issue here is that Forspoken seemingly has a generic world but rather an issue most Open World games have in that the world is very empty which judging by the demo it seems to be.

All I've really seen from people is their dislike of very superficial things. Not a great argument and stagnates discussion relatively quickly.

sandbood

Banned
First big bomba in 2023.
One thing for sure, this game is going to bomb really hard in Japan based on preorder numbers.

IMG-20230110-211254.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Dragon's Dogma's world is generic(not necessarily bad) and the spell effects aren't as grandiose although the magic system is better then most. And Forspoken has plenty more spells.

Forspoken given it's basic setup is infinitely more appealing to me as it is reminiscent to The Neverending Story in setting.

DD is more tactical while I find Forspoken more fastpaced maybe brainless and heavily revolves around parkour and mobility as well as primarily being a Mage/Wizard based game as opposed to a DnD type of game with different classes to choose from.

They could easily do worse and do a 1 to 1 copy of Black Desert which I feel the detrimental effects you describe are much worse. No feedback, lack of stagger. Weightless attacks.

Then again I'm more then fine with floaty combat and shit enemy design as a proud advocate of most Musou games.

And if I can mindlessly travel around at breakneck speed smacking things around I'm a happy guy.

Based on what I've seen the gameplay looks fun and I can't wait to try it out myself. They were not kind enough to place a demo out for PC.

I do enjoy big damage numbers.

I don't think the issue here is that Forspoken seemingly has a generic world but rather an issue most Open World games have in that the world is very empty which judging by the demo it seems to be.

All I've really seen from people is their dislike of very superficial things. Not a great argument and stagnates discussion relatively quickly.
I don't think DD is tactical at all, I'd rather consider it an open world beat'em'up.

Well given that you enjoy musous and that kind of stuff I can guess our disagreement cane from our tastes being pretty different.

Hope you enjoy Forspoken man.

Ar¢tos

The characters seriously need to STFU.

Grimoire Weiss didn't die for this.
The word "grimoire" reminded me of Soul Sacrifice :(
Another IP locked forever in Sony's vault never to see the light of day again...

Maybe the money spent in making this game a timed exclusive would have been better spent on being part of the funding of a new Soul Sacrifice for PS5.

cireza

Not available on other consoles till 2025 outside the PC.

why not just say "Xbox owners ain't getting shit till 2025" and be done with it. it's not like there is any other console that can run this.

Also, 2 years exclusive? new low for Sony marketing. it seems 6 months and 1 year is no longer enough!
I might try this in two years, there is no rush and it doesn't look that great anyway.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Maybe the money spent in making this game a timed exclusive would have been better spent on being part of the funding of a new Soul Sacrifice for PS5.

Something tells me it didn't cost $30 million to make this a timed exclusive.

FeastYoEyes

All this talk about exclusivity deals doesn't really take anything away from the fact that the tone of this game sucks ass.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Main character is so bland and uninteresting I really cannot muster any enthusiasm for the project.

Where's the drama? The emotion? What stakes are on the table? Why should anyone invest in this pretty cypher?

GymWolf

Main character is so bland and uninteresting I really cannot muster any enthusiasm for the project.

Where's the drama? The emotion? What stakes are on the table? Why should anyone invest in this pretty cypher?
She is a troublemaker with law problems and she hate tribunals.

You can feel the progressive ACAB type of writing a mile away with this one.

The purples are gonna eat this shit up like pate de foie gras.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
She is a troublemaker with law problems and she hate tribunals.

You can feel the progressive ACAB type of writing a mile away with this one.

The purples are gonna eat this shit up like pate de foie gras.

This is irrelevant to a character in a fantasy dimension though! You might not like a protagonist like that, but at least its something in a real-world setting. However, take that out and place it in Narnia or whatever and what's their motivation then? She needs to defeat the baddies here in order to get back to her exciting life as an activist?

its just not convincing as an impetus for the story that's being told, and without impetus you may as well have a silent protagonist.

GymWolf

This is irrelevant to a character in a fantasy dimension though! You might not like a protagonist like that, but at least its something in a real-world setting. However, take that out and place it in Narnia or whatever and what's their motivation then? She needs to defeat the baddies here in order to get back to her exciting life as an activist?

its just not convincing as an impetus for the story that's being told, and without impetus you may as well have a silent protagonist.
I don't mind her being a modern woman in a fantasy world, but her writing is horrible and\or cringe.

In the demo there is an old court tribunal and she literally says "nothing good ever happen inside a court" and i was like

one-punch-man-ok.gif

I think the main reason why she fight is that eventually she get accustomed to the people in athia like the little girl in some trailers so she decide to fight to keep everyone safe.

It's gonna be the usual story where for half the plot she just want to return to her home and she help just for that, and by mid plot she is gonna start appreciate the world etc. and she is gonna fight for it and not only to return home.

I have no faith is something more original than that.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Played more of the demo after not really having much time for it when it dropped and I'm sold on this one. The combat is going to take some getting used to (flipping through menus on the fly) but muscle memory will take over I'm sure, but the depth to the combat seems like its there, though I'm going to have to unlearn expected inputs from an ARPG.

As for the character: also fine. I think its ludicrous to expect a "Fish out of water" story to NOT use the tension between the "modern" and the "medieval" (or fantastic in this case). An MC from NYC (I'm guessing NYC as I skipped over the "recap" - dunno why games do that, just start me in the game and let me experience the full story in the full game) tossing out a line about their impression - whether you agree or not - about judicial systems seems pretty appropriate.

. . .definitely getting this on PC though; the console version even at 30FPS looks fine, but no way am I playing this at anything under 60FPS (also not paying SE's bullshit console tax).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

She’s going to come to the realization that she’s not so different from the others in this magical world and that she has an important purpose: to invent a carrier pigeon and town crier-based social network so she can cancel people and complain about her student loans from the privacy of her bedroom.

GymWolf

Played more of the demo after not really having much time for it when it dropped and I'm sold on this one. The combat is going to take some getting used to (flipping through menus on the fly) but muscle memory will take over I'm sure, but the depth to the combat seems like its there, though I'm going to have to unlearn expected inputs from an ARPG.

As for the character: also fine. I think its ludicrous to expect a "Fish out of water" story to NOT use the tension between the "modern" and the "medieval" (or fantastic in this case). An MC from NYC (I'm guessing NYC as I skipped over the "recap" - dunno why games do that, just start me in the game and let me experience the full story in the full game) tossing out a line about their impression - whether you agree or not - about judicial systems seems pretty appropriate.

. . .definitely getting this on PC though; the console version even at 30FPS looks fine, but no way am I playing this at anything under 60FPS (also not paying SE's bullshit console tax).
You don't actually need to go into menus.

Go into page 3 or the last 2 pages of the demo topic, i explained what to do to make the experience much better.

Last edited:
My prediction is that this game, for those who give it a chance, is going to surprise a whole lot of people.

The game has never looked anywhere as bad as I thought people were behaving. Yes, there will be no awards won for its apparent dialogue and writing, but the issue some appear to have with how it plays seems to stem from a lack of viewing the game for what it actually is, which is an action RPG where damage and attacks are handled more like an MMORPG than games like God of War, DMC or Ninja Gaiden. Once you adjust your expectations to what Forspoken actually is, I think it's a game that can be enjoyed thoroughly.

SkylineRKR

I'm having a ton of fun with the demo the more I play it. The first few minutes I wanted to delete it.

I generally like nuking groups. I also like doing those crazy Vergil attacks in Devil May Cry like JCE in LDK mode, and using nuke spells in RPG. You can do that here. And i'm sure you can unlock much more spells and improve cooldowns etc as you can craft and upgrade stuff with bonuses. There seem to be many spell sets you can use and some of them look wicked.

The travel feels decent, but it could be better. I am kind of having a hard time web slinging around. Its done with square button and you have to manually aim at certain objects to launch yourself, but the map is rather vertical, you can also explore all the floating rocks. I don't know if you can surf in the demo, but in footage she can sort of surfboard.

She moves and dodges gracefully, and the spells look nice. Forspoken has a high production value and I like its fantasy atmosphere. It leaves a MUCH better impression than FFXV to me. i am just not a fan of the constant gibberish, which many modern games fall victim to (looking at you, Horizon) and I don't really like the Isekai theme. I think its kind of stupid, pulling some normal student into a medieval world. I think Stranger of Paradise would've been better off if it was no Isekai for example, the characters looked dumb and out of place (which is the purpose of Isekai).

You don't actually need to go into menus.

Go into page 3 or the last 2 pages of the demo topic, i explained what to do to make the experience much better.

Yeah I did change some stuff earlier and it really helps. Basically the most important is auto pick up for items, and the auto spell switch when they hit cooldown. I don't use menus often, I never use the L menu I think.

GymWolf

I'm having a ton of fun with the demo the more I play it. The first few minutes I wanted to delete it.

I generally like nuking groups. I also like doing those crazy Vergil attacks in Devil May Cry like JCE in LDK mode, and using nuke spells in RPG. You can do that here. And i'm sure you can unlock much more spells and improve cooldowns etc as you can craft and upgrade stuff with bonuses. There seem to be many spell sets you can use and some of them look wicked.

The travel feels decent, but it could be better. I am kind of having a hard time web slinging around. Its done with square button and you have to manually aim at certain objects to launch yourself, but the map is rather vertical, you can also explore all the floating rocks. I don't know if you can surf in the demo, but in footage she can sort of surfboard.

She moves and dodges gracefully, and the spells look nice. Forspoken has a high production value and I like its fantasy atmosphere. It leaves a MUCH better impression than FFXV to me. i am just not a fan of the constant gibberish, which many modern games fall victim to (looking at you, Horizon) and I don't really like the Isekai theme. I think its kind of stupid, pulling some normal student into a medieval world. I think Stranger of Paradise would've been better off if it was no Isekai for example, the characters looked dumb and out of place (which is the purpose of Isekai).

Yeah I did change some stuff earlier and it really helps. Basically the most important is auto pick up for items, and the auto spell switch when they hit cooldown. I don't use menus often, I never use the L menu I think.
Also the fact that you can switch type of magic with d-pad and touchpad.

DavidGzz

Now if only the game was clear as the trailer to know what you're actually doing, instead it's a blurry mess. The demo was trash.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What are you showing us here exactly?
What are those columns with the numbers?

"Here's the first thing I found that can justify my disinterest in the game, even if I have to go to Japan pre-order numbers on a unabashedly 'Western' game."

. . .I'm entirely ready for this game to be mediocre as hell, but the pushback on these kinds of games is something else indeed.

hussar16

Now if only the game was clear as the trailer to know what you're actually doing, instead it's a blurry mess. The demo was trash.
It was a blurry mess because it's low resolution. Somehow it can't handle even 1440p on ps5 and it's upscale with it causes motion blur doing movement

Sure the nonce Gary Whitta is co-writer. But you also have the last great ND writer supposedly spouted by heated Joel (may he rip) fanboys, Amy Hennig as well. You would think they would throw their credit cards at this game huh.

Hestar69

Same, i really don't give a damn about a sequel for sushima.

If i have to endure another 40 hours of adult warriors speaking about fucking honor without cringing to death and acting like retarded during a fucking war, i'm gonna smash the damn disc...
yeah not gonna lie I got bored early on (i'm sure it's a little better later tho). Same for the new Horizon HFW..game is SUCH a drag at the start.I'm trying to get back into it now in hopes it gets better but yeah,I want a new infamous game. I loved them all...

Shit,I'll take remakes/ports of the old ones for ps5

Top Bottom