• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Why It Matters 'Resident Evil 7' Isn't Coming To The Nintendo Switch Either

This. They can get 3rd party exclusives if it works out, but forget about ports. Nintendo doesn't care about matching MS or Sony for specs. 3rd party support be damned.

It's not specs. The sooner people understand this, the higher quality the posts here will be.

If you don't think resident evil 7 can run on a switch with downgrades, you're likely incorrect. But there is little business case for it, and most other young-male focused western aaa titles or their Japanese equivalents.

EDarkness

This. They can get 3rd party exclusives if it works out, but forget about ports. Nintendo doesn't care about matching MS or Sony for specs. 3rd party support be damned.

It's not specs. It's all about business. If games don't come to the system, it's all about the business side of it and not the specs.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It's not specs. The sooner people understand this, the higher quality the posts here will be.

If you don't think resident evil 7 can run on a switch with downgrades, you're likely incorrect. But there is little business case for it, and most other young-male focused western aaa titles or their Japanese equivalents.

To me what Switch needs in order to succeed are quality first and third party titles which I don't want to play on another platform with some exceptions. Social games we can skip since they are a natural fit for portable. Nintendo titles we can skip for the obvious IPs.

The titles need to be fun, challenging, and different. Games like Assasin's creed Chronicles and other platforming games are solid fit IMO from a 3rd party. There is plenty of room for creativity with the Switch, and I think that's a huge plus.

I think one of the biggest challenges facing this system is if it gets pidgeon holed by media and consumers as the Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Monster Hunter, and JRPG system. Consumers just have to be shown that and more people will buy in. Especially those who have a commute to get to work where they aren't driving for any length of the me or can play on breaks at work/school.

Just to include, Needing THIS Resident Evil is a very different statement than what it should be which is that it would be great to have A solid Resident Evil on Switch.

TSM

It absolutely is the specs. They are low enough where most developers will not be making the Switch version of a game in house. This means the expense of farming it out to a third party port house. Then the Switch sales have to be enough to cover the costs of the port plus make a reasonable profit. The end result of this is that most of the big third parties will sit back and watch to see if third parties sales on the Switch are significant enough to make porting their games worthwhile. We saw how this wait and see game played out on the Wii U.

It's not specs. It's all about business. If games don't come to the system, it's all about the business side of it and not the specs.

Repeating this ad nauseum doesn't make it true.

I can get Crysis to run on my ASUS netbook if I dial the details and resolution down enough, that doesn't mean that a company wants to release and promote a game in a well known franchise at that fidelity.

The problem with all of this is the Switch is $300. If you're a consumer, do you really want to spend $300 on a system that, for the most part, doesn't have the multi platform games PS4 and X1 have? It's why if the system were $200, it would be much easier for consumers to get behind a Nintendo only system. Some people can only afford one console, and if you're going to be spending $300, giving Nintendo multi plat games like this one would make it easier to justify getting a Switch over a PS4 or X1.

You have to hope that Nintendo gets more multi plats in the future, but it's situations like these that aren't helpful for Nintendo. Whether they're ignorant or just don't care, having a game like RE7 on the Switch would be so significant for the console and the company, especially in shushing the whole "Nintendo is just for kids" mantra.

Crayon

It doesn't look good but it's too early to tell. Many of the pieces are in place: Subscription service, very standard chips, touting modern tools like unreal and unity, mostly standard controller layout.

The groundwork is there but we haven't seen much western support. But then we haven't seen much of anything. Fifa and Skyrim are good feelers. If switch can really do it this Christmas, western aaa game support could bud.

EDarkness

It absolutely is the specs. They are low enough where most developers will not be making the Switch version of a game in house.This means the expense of farming it out to a third party port house. Then the Switch sales have to be enough to cover the costs of the port plus make a reasonable profit. The end result of this is that most of the big third parties will sit back and watch to see if third parties sales on the Switch are significant enough to make porting their games worthwhile. We saw how this wait and see game played out on the Wii U.

It's not about specs. A lot of these games are on engines supported by the system, so they could port it if they wanted to. The key point is whether or not that makes business sense. The Wii U was a different beast and at least in the beginning porting wasn't a problem since we got a lot of games in the beginning. The issue was that the sales weren't there and it didn't make sense to do so. Let's ignore the quality of those ports, but if there's no money in it, then it's not worth doing. Unfortunately, they aren't going to be taking any real risk on the NS right now, but that doesn't mean they won't do it later. It's not about power, but about business. I'm sure the NS version of these games will look fine. The system is not THAT weak.

Porting isn't free even if the system is capable. There are dev kits to buy, and you need people to put in the work (man hours to be paid). You don't just hit a button and the game is ported. Even if the NS was super powerful, we'd be in the same situation. No one is going to jump into an unknown. Still, what about using the unique features of the NS? Someone has to do that to. So there's a bit of money that has to be sunk into the porting process.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It absolutely is the specs. They are low enough where most developers will not be making the Switch version of a game in house. This means the expense of farming it out to a third party port house. Then the Switch sales have to be enough to cover the costs of the port plus make a reasonable profit. The end result of this is that most of the big third parties will sit back and watch to see if third parties sales on the Switch are significant enough to make porting their games worthwhile. We saw how this wait and see game played out on the Wii U.

I can get Crysis to run on my ASUS netbook if I dial the details and resolution down enough, that doesn't mean that a company wants to release and promote a game in a well known franchise at that fidelity.

Can you tell me why Wii got a bunch of COD ports then? It's just business, guys, that's it. If the target audience they are aiming is in a specific platform then it makes business sense to port it (the only thing that matters to a profit company and their investors). If they aren't, no many will try and take the risk

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I can think of one interesting case, and I don't know the data, but the 2009 Wii version of Ghostbusters did reasonably well and was rated as a solid game. It was a bit different than it's other console brethren, but it was still based on the same idea, roughly.

What if more 3rd party companies made games for Switch this way.

If there were enough money to make I'd wager the majority of Devs/Pubs would be happy with some sacrifices. That said, I don't think the market is their for that to be a realistic optio at this time.

Kirkbangles

Neo Member
It's really sad to see Forbes greenlight an article like this... Nothing has changed in the last 20 years...Nintendo is the ONLY company which can float its own boat. You buy Nintendo consoles for NINTENDO games. Period. For characters and adventures you will not find anywhere else. Any gamer with half a brain, and Nintendo fans to boot will most likely have a Nintendo system and either a PlayStation or Xbox. This whole Nintendo lacking third party support thing is so done to death.

EDarkness

It's really sad to see Forbes greenlight an article like this... Nothing has changed in the last 20 years...Nintendo is the ONLY company which can float its own boat. You buy Nintendo consoles for NINTENDO games. Period. For characters and adventures you will not find anywhere else. Any gamer with half a brain, and Nintendo fans to boot will most likely have a Nintendo system and either a PlayStation or Xbox. This whole Nintendo lacking third party support thing is so done to death.

This is not true. I don't buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games....

NolbertoS

Meh, doesn't matter to me one bit though. Hate articles that purposellu promote controversy. Most people would assume that RE 7 and other games aren't going to be on Switch anytime soon, but like newspapers, negativity sells. I'm not clicking on that Forbes article. I think by now, most people own a console and looking to add another one and Switch will either be a 2nd console to others

LordRaptor

It's really sad to see Forbes greenlight an article like this...

Its why people always rush to post the "contributor" qualifier - Forbes didn't commision anyone to write this, its just a speculation op-ed.

A fairly poorly written one at that, but hey

fkadCTi.gif

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

re7 could be downgraded to run on a wii technically speaking. but downgrading comes at a effort beyond just blurring textures and reducing polygons. if the switch were x86 and came close to the xb1 or ps4 specs then it would absolutely get some ports.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I can think of one interesting case, and I don't know the data, but the 2009 Wii version of Ghostbusters did reasonably well and was rated as a solid game. It was a bit different than it's other console brethren, but it was still based on the same idea, roughly.

What if more 3rd party companies made games for Switch this way.
It has to be worth the investment. If they pay to make versions tailored to the Switch's specs and have to make a different version like you're proposing, then it has to sell enough to make up for the additional cost, and therein lies the problem.

StoveOven

Banned
To me what Switch needs in order to succeed are quality first and third party titles which I don't want to play on another platform with some exceptions. Social games we can skip since they are a natural fit for portable. Nintendo titles we can skip for the obvious IPs.

The titles need to be fun, challenging, and different. Games like Assasin's creed Chronicles and other platforming games are solid fit IMO from a 3rd party. There is plenty of room for creativity with the Switch, and I think that's a huge plus.

I think one of the biggest challenges facing this system is if it gets pidgeon holed by media and consumers as the Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Monster Hunter, and JRPG system. Consumers just have to be shown that and more people will buy in. Especially those who have a commute to get to work where they aren't driving for any length of the me or can play on breaks at work/school.

Just to include, Needing THIS Resident Evil is a very different statement than what it should be which is that it would be great to have A solid Resident Evil on Switch.

Getting pigeonholed as the Pokemon and Monster Hunter system worked out all right for the 3DS

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
People certainly didn't do that for the Wii U.

EDarkness

re7 could be downgraded to run on a wii technically speaking. but downgrading comes at a effort beyond just blurring textures and reducing polygons. if the switch were x86 and came close to the xb1 or ps4 specs then it would absolutely get some ports.

Porting in general costs money. Doesn't matter what you're porting to. The question is whether or not that cost is worth it. If it's not, then the game isn't made. It's as simple as that. It could be the most awesome system on the planet and if it's not worth porting to, then ports won't happen. Companies go where the money is. If there's money to be made, they'll be there.

Epcott

I'm surprised there isn't a "contributor" article about what the ReSpawn guy said about porting Titanfall to Switch.
/s

D.Lo

Capcom continually fucks up Resident Evil on Nintendo platforms, then blames Nintendo players.

RE4 is Gamecube exclusive for years. PS2 version 'with exclusive extra content' announced before Gamecube game's release. Reasoning from Capcom - you need a console to sell the best, doesn't matter if your machine is less powerful it's just about userbase.

Gamecube successor Wii now destroying other consoles is sales. So RE4 is ported to Wii, along with an all new game: RE: Imagine Babiez light gun game because according to Capcom 'Wii players can't handle a real game'. Capcom refers to both as 'tests' for the Wii audience. Both sell well, but RE4 sells better, test passed? But Wii gets no RE5, no new 3rd person RE game, but does get RE: Imagine Babiez 2.

3DS has Revelations coming. They muddy the waters by releasing a shovelware game, RE: Mercenaries, six months earlier. Revelations sells decently (800k or something?) but gets budget HD ports. Wii HD version is late and sells worst (being both late and the console with most likely lots of crossover with the 3DS userbase). No other platform sells anywhere near as well as 3DS version, despite it costing far less to buy the HD game. Capcom: well we need to skip the originator and highest selling platform for the next one don't we!

I mean there's obviously various other factors to all the above decisions, but the result for the Nintendo console consumer is a trail of bullshit. Nobody else has ever gotten fucking 'test' games.

Steroyd

The games will certainly cost some amount more to develop, but something like, say, Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton don't need a huge boost in graphics to be home console ready. It's going to vary series to series.

They still need to make the leap to HD, major publishers ran Into development problems when jumping into HD when moving from PS2/Xbox to PS360 back in 2006 and Nintendo discovered those same problems when going from Wii to WiiU in 2013 granted Capcom and Level 5 have been doing HD for ages now, but no doubt that their portable only games thus far are going to have teething problems of some kind.

Can we stop with the contributor articles? They're basically glorified GAF postings.

I wonder what would happen if either Microsoft or Sony were to announce that they're dropping out of the gaming division or at least dropping out of the hardware business like Sega did.

Both the gaming media (as well as Xbox & PlayStation drones) will go beserk & 3rd parties will no longer be able to ignore Nintendo then.

D.Lo

I wonder what would happen if either Microsoft or Sony were to announce that they're dropping out of the gaming division or at least dropping out of the hardware business like Sega did.

Both the gaming media (as well as Xbox & PlayStation drones) will go beserk & 3rd parties will no longer be able to ignore Nintendo then.
Microsoft already has one foot out the door. There won't be an announcement, more a slow pivot.

But yeah it's interesting, the two companies are propping each other up. Third parties bet hard on the PS3 being another PS2. It tanked out of the gate, but luckily for them there was the nearly identically specced 360 which was selling somewhat better to pick up the slack. This allowed the PS3 far more time to get up on its feet than it would have had otherwise. The two platforms became a de-facto single platform, more closely linked than any other two platforms by competitors before them. It was very symbiotic, and has continued this generation as well. Interrupting that balance could be an issue.

Well, specs are relevant.

The Switch isn't powerful enough, especially in undocked mode that a Switch version can be part of the development flow of such titles. Saying that Wii got COD isn't really an argument because those titles were made by special devs.

Kirkbangles

Neo Member
People certainly didn't do that for the Wii U.

Didn't do what for the Wii U? If you're referring to buying it, we'll that's arguably because Nintendo did a piss poor job of marketing the console. The people that did buy it certainly did for exclusive Nintendo games, not inferior third party ports.

Astral Dog

It would run,but it would come one month(!) later,would need to be heavily compressed to fit in the little 16GB carts,run at 720p on Docked,be downgraded,etc.

For a game so heavily focused om atmosphere thats a big problem.

Switch is a console with handheld like characteristics.

RE has been popular on most Nintendo systems but its like porting a 360 game to 3DS/Vita

Bluth54

Didn't do what for the Wii U? If you're referring to buying it, we'll that's arguably because Nintendo did a piss poor job of marketing the console. The people that did buy it certainly did for exclusive Nintendo games, not inferior third party ports.

People didn't buy a Wii U for Nintendo games.

Aside from the DS and Wii, which captured the casual market in a way that's not likely to happen again due much of that market moving on to smartphones and tablets every Nintendo console has sold less then the last Nintendo console and every Nintendo portable has sold less then the last Nintendo portable. That's something that can't keep happening if Nintendo wants to remain a hardware manufacturer they need to turn that around. At this point given the software library we know about and the high price point of the Switch I can't see many outside of the hardcore Nintendo faithful buying one.

They need more then just Nintendo games on the system to get people to buy it and so far that doesn't really seem to be happening.

It would run,but it would come one month(!) later,would need to be heavily compressed to fit in the little 16GB carts,run at 720p on Docked,be downgraded,etc.

RE has been popular on most Nintendo systems but its like porting a 360 game to 3DS/Vita

No it's not. RE7 actually has a PC version which is fairly scalable, to the point it can run on a GPD Win, which is an atom PC handheld with the size of a 3DS XL.
Sure you'd need to heavily reduce the graphics but the result would still be decent.

Capcom is gonna make one of its "TEST" games for Switch. When the Switch game actually sells moderately well THEN they will port over Resident Evil

The spec's aren't really that big of a deal for this game. Resident Evil 7 isn't doing anything amazing graphically as long as they have everything archived well they can be down-rezed but that takes time and money both things Capcom doesn't have. In Capcom's defense they may have gotten a dev kit really late and haven't decided what they are gonna do if anything for the Switch. If RE7 sells amazing I bet they do a port to everything they can. I can't wait for the mobile version myself.

The 32GB of storage was a dead giveaway that tons of third party support would not happen. The size of some of the games and their patches just doesn't make sense for storage of that size.

That's a "tad" exaggerated for numerous reasons. Also, who said that it would be limited to 16GB carts?

LordRaptor

Well, specs are relevant.

The Switch isn't powerful enough, especially in undocked mode that a Switch version can be part of the development flow of such titles.

This post has the same problem as the article, which is you really want to tell a story, but don't have any actual facts to back it up, so just build a house of cards on probablys, maybes and likelys.

Astral Dog

That's a "tad" exaggerated for numerous reasons. Also, who said that it would be limited to 16GB carts?
16 would be the most common one i think,maybe larger ones are more expensive?

Im just trying to get people understand there is more than pure business decisions when porting a game to a much weaker handheld console,Nintendo will have to carve their own niche here.

Not just repeating about the "business"

Madao

meh, even if i bought 3rd party games, i'd buy the PS4 version anyway since i got a PS4 because it had an exclusive i wanted.

i'm sure this is Nintendo's reasoning in some capacity. why spend money on a port that will be worse and will flop?
what they need to do is make more of their own games to have more exclusives. that's the only thing that will give the system worth in the long run.

16 would be like most common one i think,maybe larger ones are more expensive?

Of course, but I don't think they are that much more expensive. The game is clocked in at around 20GB, though, so the reduction of texture size and other assets for the Switch may not make that a major issue anyway

remz

Wouldn't most people who would be interested in the usual 3rd part suspects have an xbone or ps4 by now? I'm not sure I see the value in nintendo chasing that market.

Kataploom

Gold Member
[QUhael;228974015]Well, specs are relevant.

The Switch isn't powerful enough, especially in undocked mode that a Switch version can be part of the development flow of such titles. Saying that Wii got COD isn't really an argument because those titles were made by special devs.[/QUOTE]

Ports for similar specs machines gets outsourced ask the time anyway, but why did they destined money/resources to do a "special" port for a machine so weak in power? I don't think that it's because they really felt bad for Nintendo users not getting more than Nintendo games and shovelware

Screwtape

Neo Member
No one was expecting RE7 on the Switch though. Who's the dummy that ever thought otherwise?

The Switch will be, for better or worse, what the Wii was in it's time:

A complementary system that doesn't even try to directly compete with the competition.

"Wii + 360 household" and "Wii + PS3 household" where incredibly common because of this complementary nature.

That's what Nintendo is aiming to do again.

Time will just have to see if they can pull it off.

Top Bottom