• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Why It Matters 'Resident Evil 7' Isn't Coming To The Nintendo Switch Either

People who want to play Call of Duty already have a console one which they can play Call of Duty. That console also has all of their friends they play Call of Duty with. Nobody bought a WiiU to play Black Ops 2, and nobody would buy a Switch to play (insert this year's CoD here).

They aren't buying a Switch just for those games in particular, but it incites people in general to have those options. Seeing as multiplatform games make up a good portion of sales, and that having a big library of diverse titles including Nintendo games is a net profit for everyone, third parties just make a system more attractive. That was one of the Wii U's biggest stumbling blocks.

Calm Mind

There is more hot air in that blog piece than every balloon at the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade combined. With that said, it is too early for this. Nintendo doom and gloom gets more clicks than positive news I guess.

Nintendo went from exclusive Resident Evil 4 to no Resident Evil at all, they can only blame themselves for this.

Eh, I don't think this particular title means anything. The Switch releases over a month after this title releases. Even if Capcom wanted to do it, the timing is off. The game would probably be a good title for HD Rumble and motion controls should it ever get ported.

Instro

Frankly any game that is coming out prior to the Switch is a stretch to begin with. If Capcom were ever interested in doing this it will be whenever they release a complete edition. In the end though, regardless of how easy the system is to develop for, to port this game they would have to make significant compromises to the visuals for an audience that may or may not exist. This is combined with the need to take advantage of the systems controls. Given the lackluster performance of RE on the 3DS I'm sure they are not exactly jumping at the opportunity to support the Switch in this scenario.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
If what people are saying about looking so much worse on base PS4 than Pro, imagine how it would look on Switch.

I don't think Switch could handle it at all. When reading the article, I got the impression that it was designed to say that Switch doesn't have 3rd party support, and that they've been able to survive without it before. That's my interpretation of it anyway. I just kind of think there is a lot about the article which seems questionable and/or possibly incorrect.

oti

Banned
You'll have to own two consoles to play Ninty games and third-parties. Again.

As a first party-only machine they shouldn't be asking for a subscription plan.

How many people are going to pay for the subscription of two consoles?

Nintendo has been positioning their hardware as secondary console since the Wii. This isn't news. If you though Nintendo was going to go after the PS4 with Switch as the main console, you weren't paying attention.

nightside

Third parties didn't really believed in the wii but it's enormous success brought them to jump aboard. Sort of.
With the wii u at the beginning probably publishers were more... "hopeful"? More or less. Well, it's not like they were full convinced from the start but I guess their attitude at the beginning was more like "well, their former machine sold gangbusters, let's see how this goes", and after the first year the general consensus was "nope, not worth the time".
With switch I can understand that third parties are quite wary, if the console sells well, we'll see a way more broader support. Until then... But I Nintendo should not just wait third parties to jump aboard, especially from Western publishers, maybe the best thing would be a more active collaboration? If the rumored rabbids and Mario RPG is real (and it's not a pile of horseshit) it could set a precedent.

OryoN

Like I said in another thread; Capcom is well aware that they have created a Resident Evil fanbase on Nintendo systems. You don't spent years planting crop, with no intention to reap at harvest. The problem is, there's nothing to reap right now! Switch's installed base is Zero at the moment, and Capcom has never been there at/around launch with an RE game. Not every decision is about power, especially given Switch's very modern architecture. Resident Evil will come in some form or the other(and I'm sure it'll look great on the Switch) but it may be a little too early.

StoveOven

Banned
They aren't buying a Switch just for those games in particular, but it incites people in general to have those options. Seeing as multiplatform games make up a good portion of sales, and that having a big library of diverse titles including Nintendo games is a net profit for everyone, third parties just make a system more attractive. That was one of the Wii U's biggest stumbling blocks.

I agree that having third party games in general is a good idea for Nintendo, and I think RE7 would actually be a good one for them to get (although the fact that it would be a late port makes me flip-flop on this). But the big Western AAA games like CoD are never going to move Nintendo hardware, especially a piece of Nintendo hardware launching three years after the PS4 and X1. The audience for games like Mass Effect, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Red Dead, etc. have already bought a console and probably don't plan on buying a second one. Nintendo should be going for 3DS style third party support, not PS4 style third party support.

squidyj

"everyone has always hoped that whatever Nintendo’s next system would be, it would finally rebuild those bridges with third parties and develop a system capable of playing all these big games."

No though??? If you're an industry pundit and you still think 3rd party support matters an iota to nintendo, you have not been paying attention. Same if you think Nintendo is going to build a powerhouse console that can compete with MS/Sony. Tired of all these ignorant takes by people who should not be getting paid to write about this industry.

sure didn't matter to the success of the wii u.
don't pretend it doesn't hurt them.

Switch has third party support, we saw that during the presentation on a slide.
The majority of those third parties listed on the Switch slide actually supported the Wii U in some way (whether a single port, a VC title or full-blown support). That slide alone will not and should not convince anyone of anything yet.

hatchx

Banned
What does it matter whether it's a portable? The Wii U is dead and that leaves a void the switch has to fill anyways.

I just think it's obvious it won't be a PS4/X1 being a tablet. Anyone who expected that level of graphics would have complained about a super high price and awFully short battery life

Chindogg

And GAF is no place for a GAF posting.

You and I don't get paid when someone clicks on our threads.

The majority of those third parties listed on the Switch slide actually supported the Wii U in some way (whether a single port, a VC title or full-blown support). That slide alone will not and should not convince anyone of anything yet.

What game did From Software put out on the Wii U?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeah that's a contributor. They get paid for page views so they usually tend to write quite controversial things.

The game itself released before Nintendo Switch so it makes sense that they skipped it. Not saying that's the only possible reason.

Because people only criticize Nintendo for clicks... It's not like they're annoyed with decisions made by the company or anything.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
RE7 isn't coming to switch because the game was clearly designed with VR in mind, while traditional screen play is possible the devs clearly wanted the players to be able to experience it in VR.

The switch can't do VR
Therefore no RE7 on VR

This isn't something to extrapolate how nintendo is scaring away 3rd parties or how 3rd parties are still reluctant about working with nintendo (hell RE7 is a capcom game and capcom fucking loves working with nintendo, look at monster hunter).

It's also clear that 3rd parties aren't look at the switch as a platform to put their current AAA releases on.

Honestly I don't really see what this article is trying to do besides state obvious facts and then grossly misinterpret them. I don't even see the purpose of bringing up RE5 at all was here. The Wii got tons of RE games on it, as special edition of RE4, the darkside chronicles, and the archives anthology. Hell the Wii U got resident evil revelations 1 and so did the 3DS So it's not like capcom is terrified of putting resident evil on the console.

It's just obviously that capcom doesn't want to do major downgrades to get their games working on lesser hardware.

This article made me salty as fuck.

nubbe

Think this was funny :p
H2NTwYo.png

Just a bunch of speculation regarding whether or not the Switch could even run the game. I doubt that's the reason the devs don't currently want to make a Switch port. More like, they're not up for supporting a platform that they don't even know will be successful.

Of everyone interested in RE7, who would have waited over a month to buy it on the Switch?
I would have double-dipped if the HD rumble feature was supported.

The switch can't do VR
Therefore no RE7 on VR.
51pIFJmpBdL._AC_SL230_.jpg

Personally, I don't feel like RE7 would be the best on Switch. It won't take advantage of the hardware and wouldn't improve the experience compared to other platforms (graphics, VR, etc.).

I would rather they make a new Resident Evil for Switch that would better utilize the Joy Cons, or local co-op functionality. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Revelations series made the jump to Switch, which could offer more traditional third-person action and co-op possibilities.

I wouldn't count RE out of Switch entirely. Capcom has had a great relationship with Nintendo with respect to RE titles over the years, but with Switch being something new, they probably want to figure what would be best financially for the platform.

Moneal

RE7 isn't coming to switch because the game was clearly designed with VR in mind, while traditional screen play is possible the devs clearly wanted the players to be able to experience it in VR.

The switch can't do VR
Therefore no RE7 on VR

This isn't something to extrapolate how nintendo is scaring away 3rd parties or how 3rd parties are still reluctant about working with nintendo (hell RE7 is a capcom game and capcom fucking loves working with nintendo, look at monster hunter).

It's also clear that 3rd parties aren't look at the switch as a platform to put their current AAA releases on.

Honestly I don't really see what this article is trying to do besides state obvious facts and then grossly misinterpret them. I don't even see the purpose of bringing up RE5 at all was here. The Wii got tons of RE games on it, as special edition of RE4, the darkside chronicles, and the archives anthology. Hell the Wii U got resident evil revelations 1 and so did the 3DS So it's not like capcom is terrified of putting resident evil on the console.

It's just obviously that capcom doesn't want to do major downgrades to get their games working on lesser hardware.

This article made me salty as fuck.
If its not coming to switch because no vr, why is it coming to xbox one? It doesn't do vr.

Piscus

I can't wait until the Switch comes out so it can flop and everyone can be like "I told you so" and we can start to have hopes for Nintendo's NEXT console.

Darklor01

Just a bunch of speculation regarding whether or not the Switch could even run the game. I doubt that's the reason the devs don't currently want to make a Switch port. More like, they're not up for supporting a platform that they don't even know will be successful.

I would have double-dipped if the HD rumble feature was supported.

You know, honestly, I think a title like R.E. would be crazy to play if..well.. you know that bit with 1‑2‑Switch where the guy could feel ice cubes individually, think what they could do with that in an R.E. game. Could you feel an object in the game and know what it was? Some serious possibilities there for a game like R.E.

Air

Banned
It's always about sales. I don't think the Forde contributors arguments work. RE4 was ported everywhere, even to iphones. If switch sells, RE will show up in some form.

JABEE

There is a difference between something running on a console and a game running so poorly it damages the brand. Thus, making the port and the work that would go into making the game run poorly on an unproven platform a non-starter.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
If its not coming to switch because no vr, why is it coming to xbox one? It doesn't do vr.

Gah I think I deleted the line where I basically said it can't do VR and it can't output the game at the intended visual fidelity therefore it's not a good fit to the intended experience the devs want you to have.

The xbox 1 can't do VR but it can still use the non VR graphics for immersion / scary stuff.

opricnik

Banned
Like I said in another thread; Capcom is well aware that they have created a Resident Evil fanbase on Nintendo systems. You don't spent years planting crop, with no intention to reap at harvest. The problem is, there's nothing to reap right now! Switch's installed base is Zero at the moment, and Capcom has never been there at/around launch with an RE game. Not every decision is about power, especially given Switch's very modern architecture. Resident Evil will come in some form or the other(and I'm sure it'll look great on the Switch) but it may be a little too early.
Lol what? they released mercenaries as exclusive at launch and had a aaa title called revelations 4 months later for 3ds

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
"everyone has always hoped that whatever Nintendo’s next system would be, it would finally rebuild those bridges with third parties and develop a system capable of playing all these big games."

No though??? If you're an industry pundit and you still think 3rd party support matters an iota to nintendo, you have not been paying attention. Same if you think Nintendo is going to build a powerhouse console that can compete with MS/Sony. Tired of all these ignorant takes by people who should not be getting paid to write about this industry.

Thinking=/= hoping.
I was certainly hoping that Nintendo would finally try and get some 3rd parties back, That doesn't mean I thought it would actually happen.

Metal B

Resident Evil 7 not coming for the Switch, isn't a bad sign at all.
The hardware properly was finalise until the middle of last year. If Capcom would have work on a port, it would have released much later. If we know something about late releases of AAA games, than that those don't work out for anybody. Most intresed people already bought the game and it is cheaper to find anywhere. Everbody loses here!

So simply skipping the release and give the resourses to new games or ports, which can make it in time, is much smarter.

You know, honestly, I think a title like R.E. would be crazy to play if..well.. you know that bit with 1‑2‑Switch where the guy could feel ice cubes individually, think what they could do with that in an R.E. game. Could you feel an object in the game and know what it was? Some serious possibilities there for a game like R.E.
I think one day on GAF I saw a thread speculating what HD Rumble could do for horror games, then I was hoping for RE7 on Switch, and I'm pretty sure the very next day there was a thread confirming it wouldn't happen.

What a roller coaster.

Sizzel

So yes the articles about Switch have been generally negative. The post here have been as well. Instead of misattributing that to blind Nintendo hate.. it is quite possible that people are not fond of the Switch and genuinely think it is "bad" or will do poorly. A Forbes contributor or a trusted journo are just opinions at this point. You would likely get as many click by saying "Switch - Poised to Win the Gen" as you would a negative article.. perhaps more.

You can a do a self-check... do you see the good in all Nintendo news? do you see the bad? or do you synthesize the information and try to process it to reach a conclusion based on that information regardless of nature.

I have bought a Switch but I -99% percent think it is a WiiU caliber system. Most of the information leads me to that conclusion. I feel good when I see raving Nintendo fan articles about how "awesome it is"...and bad when I read everything saying" yikes.. I hope things change for the switch or DoooOOoooM!".

The reality of the situation based on the information I can find is... there is anemic 3rd party for an underpowered gimmick(handheld) console that likely to not gain a ton of traction with Western audiences and that will likely not change and it will have a short life span if it doesn;t catch fire as a super powered handheld.

It does matter that RE7 isn;t coming to switch..just not to me..because I don;t expect that kind of thing to happen. I hope for a world where the Switch gets insane support and a plethora of unique and interesting 3rd party Ips, but I am happy with about 4-5 good 1st party ones.

This article is both poorly written and extrapolates into things it clearly hasn't provided enough evidence for. The bar for Contributors is apprently pretty low, but I guess I don't know who would even be vetting this kind of stuff at Forbes, so perhaps this shouldn't be surprising.

Because it's completely normal that a game releasing before the console is even out comes out later on this same console.

Except no one would complain about that...I thought you meant late ports in general. Obviously if a game releases before a console launch, there's nothing devs can do about that

Because people only criticize Nintendo for clicks... It's not like they're annoyed with decisions made by the company or anything.

What decision are they annoyed with? That Nintendo didn't release a clone console of the PS4 or Xbox One in the middle of the generation? Or that Nintendo didn't make their $300 hybrid with already poor battery life on par with the other machines?

Darklor01

So yes the articles about Switch have been generally negative. The post here have been as well. Instead of misattributing that to blind Nintendo hate.. it is quite possible that people are not fond of the Switch and genuinely think it is "bad" or will do poorly. A Forbes contributor or a trusted journo are just opinions at this point. You would likely get as many click by saying "Switch - Poised to Win the Gen" as you would a negative article.. perhaps more.

You can a do a self-check... do you see the good in all Nintendo news? do you see the bad? or do you synthesize the information and try to process it to reach a conclusion based on that information regardless of nature.

I have bought a Switch but I -99% percent think it is a WiiU caliber system. Most of the information leads me to that conclusion. I feel good when I see raving Nintendo fan articles about how "awesome it is"...and bad when I read everything saying" yikes.. I hope things change for the switch or DoooOOoooM!".

The reality of the situation based on the information I can find is... there is anemic 3rd party for an underpowered gimmick(handheld) console that likely to not gain a ton of traction with Western audiences and that will likely not change and it will have a short life span if it doesn;t catch fire as a super powered handheld.

It does matter that RE7 isn;t coming to switch..just not to me..because I don;t expect that kind of thing to happen. I hope for a world where the Switch gets insane support and a plethora of unique and interesting 3rd party Ips, but I am happy with about 4-5 good 1st party ones.

I pre-ordered a Switch based on Zelda, and Mario. I also bought it so that I can play games on the couch whenever TV was in use and I can't play. Third Party Support does definitely matter to me, but I think that it was never a question about the console/handheld's power levels being reasonably close to WiiU. Let's be honest, I can't imagine what a PS4 power level handheld would cost. Certainly not $300. But, I like that semi-console level power in a hand held is appealing. I never figured a RE7 would come to it, and never thought it would be possible either.

I do agree with some on here that a RE game would be possible on it, and think that game companies put games out they think there's enough money to be made on regardless of what system it would be on. It's a business after all.

I think 3rd party support would be there if adoption rate is there. Adoption rate is based on a lot of things. I remain hopeful, that there is enough about Switch to attract adopters, and therefore by proxy 3rd party support. What games that would include should be interesting. I wouldn't rule out ground up built RE games.

filly

I have come to accept the fact that it's good to have Nintendo + PlayStation/Xbox. I think this is the case for most people. Everyone keeps saying third parties is where it is at for the switch to succeed. I think the truth is, when the 3ds devs start making games with the switch in mind, the quantity of quality unique games will not only no longer be a issue, but will make the switch more relevant than any singular Nintendo console has been to date.

ksamedi

Wasnt there a rumor about Capcom porting RE7 with the VR headaet in mind? It came from a youtuber or something that leaked a lot of stuff correctly. You will be surprised what deva can do when there is money to be made.

Not being able to port re7 is a ridiculous statement. The real question is if people are interested to buy it and if its worth the investment.

Top Bottom