• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2021/2022 |OT| The battle to survive, rebuilding after disaster.

Labadal

I was a bit disappointed by the Spurs result, but when I think about it, there's not much to complain about. City's got the title in the bag. If I was Klopp, I would rest everyone for the FA Cup final.

My one hope as a Man Utd fan is that Liverpool walk away this season with only the Carabao Cup. From a potential quadruple to a single trophy is enough of a meme for me to forget how shite my team is currently.

JLB

Banned
Im not convicend Haaland is a good get for city. Its a player with great future, but i dont think it fits on pep’s way of football (traditional fixed 9).
To give one recent, real example: first goal of city against madrid was made by de bruyne cause since there is no fixed 9, a spot was created from a midfieldier. That woudlnt happend woth haaland; both center backs would be there.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Im not convicend Haaland is a good get for city. Its a player with great future, but i dont think it fits on pep’s way of football (traditional fixed 9).
To give one recent, real example: first goal of city against madrid was made by de bruyne cause since there is no fixed 9, a spot was created from a midfieldier. That woudlnt happend woth haaland; both center backs would be there.
We won the league with 100 points with a front 3 of Sane Aguero Sterling and it was the best football I’ve ever seen City play. Pep can absolutely play a traditional 9 and dominate.

DKehoe

We won the league with 100 points with a front 3 of Sane Aguero Sterling and it was the best football I’ve ever seen City play. Pep can absolutely play a traditional 9 and dominate.
I think City have enough opportunity creators as it is and what they need is that focused goalscoring threat. Surround Haaland with some combination of De Bruyne, Foden, Graelish, Silva etc. and let him be the tip of the spear. Transitioning to a new team and league is always going to be a challenge for a player but Haaland is clearly a quality player. He also grew up around English football so even though he's not played in the league before he's probably going to be more familiar with the style of play than most other newcomers.

Dark Rider

i think someone other than Fergie will finally win 3 PL titles in a row now:messenger_crying:

The EPL/BPL went from Manchester United dominance dynasty to Manchester City dominance dynasty.
Manchester City dynasty has been going for a while and I wonder if they will be able to maintain it after Pep. For the time being Pep is staying for the foreseeable I think so Manchester City should be comfortable for a while.

Dark Rider

Sports gambling will be heavily regulated in Belgium from 2023 according to minister of justice.

Other nations should follow suit.

JLB

Banned

I dont think any of them is a traditional fixed 9 though. Haaland is more like a nowadays Benzema, Lewandowski or -back to history- Alan Shearer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wow just got news of the Manchester City signing. They just got a hell of a lot stronger and they already got a really solid Frontline

DKehoe

I really don’t get players doing this. Especially ones like Messi. You already have more money than you’ll ever need.

Dark Rider

Sky Interview with Antonio Conte: "I am passionate but not romantic. I don't remember my wedding anniversary date but I have people that inform me before the date. I don't like presents not because of money but because you have to spend time choosing."

DKehoe

Just to be sure.... doing what exactly?
Acting as a brand ambassador for Saudi Arabia despite being asked not to by families of political prisoners in Saudi Arabia.

zdxwYKq.jpg

But he's now gone ahead and accepted it. Not surprising really, but still disappointing.

DKehoe

There was some discussion the other day about how Haaland fits into City. So I thought I'd share this Tifo video I just saw breaking down what he brings to the team.

United has Ronaldo so not sure Haaland has a place in the United starting eleven. But United have bigger problems to deal with than the striker position.
Our problem is that a reliance on a soon-to-be 38 year old Ronnie means he will need replacing sooner rather than later.

Missing out on Haaland because the club is run like a shitshow is gutting to me personally. He is a generational talent and whilst his injury record is concerning, he has routinely delivered buckets of goals and could honestly already be a world class striker. He already outpaces his xG and that's the sign of a world class talent.

Granted, you're correct that the striker position is one of lesser concern, but it needs to be addressed as soon as possible given we have zero reliable backup. Rashford's head has been in the toilet for about 2 seasons, Martial should be leaving, Elanga isn't an out and out goalscorer, and Sancho is more of a provider. The burden can't all fall on Ronaldo's shoulders. Haaland would've been absolutely incredible and a steal for the transfer fee City have paid.

Our problem is that a reliance on a soon-to-be 38 year old Ronnie means he will need replacing sooner rather than later.

Missing out on Haaland because the club is run like a shitshow is gutting to me personally. He is a generational talent and whilst his injury record is concerning, he has routinely delivered buckets of goals and could honestly already be a world class striker. He already outpaces his xG and that's the sign of a world class talent.

Granted, you're correct that the striker position is one of lesser concern, but it needs to be addressed as soon as possible given we have zero reliable backup. Rashford's head has been in the toilet for about 2 seasons, Martial should be leaving, Elanga isn't an out and out goalscorer, and Sancho is more of a provider. The burden can't all fall on Ronaldo's shoulders. Haaland would've been absolutely incredible and a steal for the transfer fee City have paid.
Getting Haaland this transfer window would have been a disaster. United cannot afford to pay ludicrous wages to young, unproven EPL players. The wage structure is already fucked. A squad that can play as a team needs to be created first. Then after a couple of seasons of rebuilding we can make Hollywood purchases again to fill in small gaps.

Ronaldo’s replacement is for the season after next. The midfield and defense need to sorted first.

Prison Mike

Banned
Getting Haaland this transfer window would have been a disaster. United cannot afford to pay ludicrous wages to young, unproven EPL players. The wage structure is already fucked. A squad that can play as a team needs to be created first. Then after a couple of seasons of rebuilding we can make Hollywood purchases again to fill in small gaps.

Ronaldo’s replacement is for the season after next. The midfield and defense need to sorted first.
Like 350k a week for Sancho.......

I mean, given how much money we're shedding from the wage bill this coming season, I am sure we could stretch for this "Hollywood" purchase.

Pogba, Lingard, Martial, Matic, Mata, that's got to be almost 1m a week in wages freed up easily.

I agree that the squad needs to be further fleshed out first but the goalscoring talent of Haaland can't be doubted and I do think he would thrive under someone like Ten Hag. Moreso under Guardiola.

I'm hopeful of the transfer policy under Rangnick/Arnold/Ten Hag but its another huge rebuilding project and I do think Utd will be in the wilderness for about 2 or 3 years. Let's see.

Dark Rider

[Seb Stafford-Bloor] A €40m agent commission for Haaland. €40m. That figure attracting so little attention just shows how normal it has become.

This need to be regulated, those agents have a conflict of interest.

DKehoe

[Seb Stafford-Bloor] A €40m agent commission for Haaland. €40m. That figure attracting so little attention just shows how normal it has become.

This need to be regulated, those agents have a conflict of interest.

Haaland was never going to be a bargain buy. No matter how cheap his release clause was. The money saved from the release clause was always going to go to fees for Haaland's agent and dad and Haaland's wages and signing on bonus. I've always found it crazy myself. I get that a great agent like Raiola can negotiate you a better deal but if we use Haaland as an example is that really going to make a difference of €40m to you?

Fifa is going to bring in new restrictions next summer that will put a cap on agent fees and payments to family members so there should be less of it in the future. But I expect clubs and agents will still find ways around it to make the deals they want to make.

Dark Rider

Haaland was never going to be a bargain buy. No matter how cheap his release clause was. The money saved from the release clause was always going to go to fees for Haaland's agent and dad and Haaland's wages and signing on bonus. I've always found it crazy myself. I get that a great agent like Raiola can negotiate you a better deal but if we use Haaland as an example is that really going to make a difference of €40m to you?

Fifa is going to bring in new restrictions next summer that will put a cap on agent fees and payments to family members so there should be less of it in the future. But I expect clubs and agents will still find ways around it to make the deals they want to make.

They will shift the fees to be part of the payment to the player which then get payed to the agent I think.
There is a conflict of interest for those agents as they are supposedly working for more than one side of those deals, it is all corrupted and need to be cleaned out.

Dark Rider

[Fabrizio Romano] Donnarumma confirms to AFP: "I want to stay here at Paris Saint-Germain. It wasn't an easy season, I played half the games and couldn't give my best". #PSG "Competition with Keylor Navas again next year? No, it won't be like that. The club will make choices", he added.

Dark Rider

[Tom Young] Pep has just torn into Dimitar Berbatov and Patrice Evra: "I didn't see this kind of character and personality when we played them, when we destroyed them, with Barcelona."

Dark Rider

[Le Parisien] Kylian Mbappé no longer wants to appear in FFF ads for KFC, Coca-Cola and Betclic. For all the advertising campaigns of the advertisers of the FFF, he finds that his image is constantly the one put forward among the five players who make up the posters or advertising spots.

Top Bottom