• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Foamstars releases to negative player reception

Draugoth

Gold Member

Foamstars: What are early players saying?

QIntpku.png

Overall, it’s been a bit of a mixed bag for Foamstars.

Some people are having fun with it, others not - largely owing to them not being the intended audience or not jiving with the gameplay mechanics. A fear shared by almost everyone is a concern over the longevity of Foamstars, due to the saturated live service games market.
But ultimately, the choice is yours - and it’s free on PS Plus for February, so you may as well take Foamstars for a whirl to see for yourself. With all that, let’s get to those impressions and reviews.

Steven V Santos for Game8 wrote:

"Overall, Foamstars fails to show its players a good time. It gets too chaotic and is a shooter where getting kills doesn’t feel anywhere near as gratifying compared to other titles." He gives it an overall score of 62/100.

Jerry Plays said in his YouTube review:

"Foamstars presents an intriguing concept with its foam-based gameplay and promises of a dynamic team-orientated experience."

He continued,

"Teamwork enthusiasts might find a satisfying home in the foam-covered battlegrounds," and added, "Foamstars brings a fresh approach to the arena shooter genre."

But he warned that "the crowded market and the challenge of standing out amongst gaming giants might hinder Foamstars' long-term success".

Backloggd user danieladultman shared their thoughts and said:

"I don't think it's necessarily bad, I just don't think I'm the target audience at all. Certain elements about it seem pretty polished. The gameplay ranges from alright to kinda frustrating depending on which character you play with."

Their account shows their played games typically being more adult in themes, so if you have similar tastes, you might not find satisfaction in Foamstars either. Simon Cardy of IGN was far more positive, and they were "pleasantly surprised at just how much fun I was having after four hours of hands-on time", believing that you shouldn't write it off as a Splatoon clone. Cardy said they particularly had a lot of fun with the Rubber Duck Party and Smash the Star game modes, though they fear Foamstars may be short-lived owing to the "recent fate many live service games have met".

Eric Switzer for The Gamer echoed the same sentiments held by Cardy and Jerry Plays, saying,

"I have a lot of doubts about Foamstars' ability to compete in the live service team-based shooter space," despite the fact that they "had a blast playing it".

This was due to the fact they were playing in the same room as other games journalists at a preview event, but for everyone else playing it, they feared the "game is going to get lost in the sea of established online shooters immediately".

Mishelam, also posting on Backloggd, wasn’t impressed by Foamstars, saying:

"It's fun for like 20 minutes, but the game just feels kind of empty after that."

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But GAF told me this game was full of Foam Chads (whatever that is)

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Good.. let sony persue of gaas burn 🔥... they have better things to do ... especially now they about to be the only real console with exclusives hohohoho

Just kidding ... or am I

Barakov

Gold Member

Foamstars: What are early players saying?

QIntpku.png

Overall, it’s been a bit of a mixed bag for Foamstars.

Some people are having fun with it, others not - largely owing to them not being the intended audience or not jiving with the gameplay mechanics. A fear shared by almost everyone is a concern over the longevity of Foamstars, due to the saturated live service games market.
But ultimately, the choice is yours - and it’s free on PS Plus for February, so you may as well take Foamstars for a whirl to see for yourself. With all that, let’s get to those impressions and reviews.

Steven V Santos for Game8 wrote:

Jerry Plays said in his YouTube review:

He continued,

But he warned that "the crowded market and the challenge of standing out amongst gaming giants might hinder Foamstars' long-term success".

Backloggd user danieladultman shared their thoughts and said:

Their account shows their played games typically being more adult in themes, so if you have similar tastes, you might not find satisfaction in Foamstars either. Simon Cardy of IGN was far more positive, and they were "pleasantly surprised at just how much fun I was having after four hours of hands-on time", believing that you shouldn't write it off as a Splatoon clone. Cardy said they particularly had a lot of fun with the Rubber Duck Party and Smash the Star game modes, though they fear Foamstars may be short-lived owing to the "recent fate many live service games have met".

Eric Switzer for The Gamer echoed the same sentiments held by Cardy and Jerry Plays, saying,

This was due to the fact they were playing in the same room as other games journalists at a preview event, but for everyone else playing it, they feared the "game is going to get lost in the sea of established online shooters immediately".

Mishelam, also posting on Backloggd, wasn’t impressed by Foamstars, saying:

Who the fuck are these people? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Sojiro

Angry Season 9 GIF by Shameless

What are fucking implying?!
All those reviewers are obviously Splatoon fans, even the media critics! 😜 Splatoon gets a lot of shit on this board and I didn't expect foam stars to be any different, whether it does have problems or not. Honestly from the gameplay footage I have seen it looked pretty fun, and very chaotic. You definitely see some Splatoon inspiration there but it does have its own unique spin to it. Idk, hopefully the issues with it can be ironed out.

you made a thread about what 24 people think? Thats less than an elementary school classroom worth of people across the entire globe

Nydius

I've given it plenty of matches and it's just... meh. It wants to be like Splatoon but it also wants to be like a hero shooter and its pretty crappy versions of both. When you're not surfing you're WAY too slow. Weapons are inconsistent as hell. The chaos of the maps isn't nearly as interesting as the chaos of maps in Splatoon or even Overwatch or Team Fortress.

I'm sure people will dismiss my thoughts because I am admittedly a Splatoon fan since the first game but I really did want this to be good so that there was a Splatoon type competitor on other platforms. Unfortunately it's not good. It needed a lot more time in the oven before launching. More content, more playtesting.

havoc00

I've given it plenty of matches and it's just... meh. It wants to be like Splatoon but it also wants to be like a hero shooter and its pretty crappy versions of both. When you're not surfing you're WAY too slow. Weapons are inconsistent as hell. The chaos of the maps isn't nearly as interesting as the chaos of maps in Splatoon or even Overwatch or Team Fortress.

I'm sure people will dismiss my thoughts because I am admittedly a Splatoon fan since the first game but I really did want this to be good so that there was a Splatoon type competitor on other platforms. Unfortunately it's not good. It needed a lot more time in the oven before launching. More content, more playtesting.
Yea the more I play the less I enjoy it

Sushi_Combo

Soundtrack is great. The game not so much
The soundtrack is pretty good I agree. I wish the home lobby system was more customizable to really make it your own unique hub. The game has a lot of potential but yeah it's pretty limited at the time of release. I'm more of a coop player so I hope to see them expand on that game mode.

Saber

Gold Member
Not entirelly sure about the good scores provided.
Bad scores varies from 3 to 1, while good scores are 10?
Yeah, doesn't feel like this game is a big deal as people make to be.

Top Bottom